2018-2019 University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
huh? I'm IS and my COA is listed as 79k with tuition being like 37k
Oh, that's very strange; I wonder why it'd be different. I realized the tuition itself is only listed as being $37,810, like you said, but it's crazy to me that their other estimated costs are higher than even those for NYC schools I'm considering... That's why I was confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, that's very strange; I wonder why it'd be different. I realized the tuition itself is only listed as being $37,810, like you said, but it's crazy to me that their other estimated costs are higher than even those for NYC schools I'm considering... That's why I was confused.
Keep in mind that some schools overestimate those other living expenses in order to help people who are paying for everything with loans (since you can only take out loans for the COA). Other schools try to keep the COA number as low as possible. They put 1.4k for books but at second look day everyone said they only bought like 1 book. So I don’t put too much weight behind all those numbers

Reactions: 3 users
Looking at the SURF's offer, there are several categories - MD/Federal Direct Loan, MD/Federal Direct Grad PLUS, both awards say offered. I also see a category MD/University Grant Category with an award amount already accepted - what is this? Is this a loan or award, (and if it is, is it merit or need based?)

Looking at the SURF's offer, there are several categories - MD/Federal Direct Loan, MD/Federal Direct Grad PLUS, both awards say offered. I also see a category MD/University Grant Category with an award amount already accepted - what is this? Is this a loan or award, (and if it is, is it merit or need based?)
a grant is by definition not a loan. So the Grant amount is free money they are giving you. It is likely need based unless you were notified that you received a recruitment scholarship (merit based). The reason it is already accepted if because no one would deny free money.

The federal direct loan and direct grad plus loans are two kinds of loans with different fees and interest rates. The grad plus is worse than the federal direct but the federal direct has a limit (around 40k) of how much you can take out a year. So anything over 40k in federal direct loans would be grad plus loans. The reason these loans say offered is that you have to accept them or say how much (if less than the full amount offered) in loans you want. An example may be if they offered you 60k in loans (40k in direct loan and 20k in grad plus) for example but you parents said 'hey we will pay 20k' so then you accept 40k in direct loans and decline the 20k in grad plus loans)

On interview day they gave you a ppt paper with all of the info about the different loans

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else not get any financial aid info on Saturday like they said we would? Not seeing anything in surfs

Just called — they might not have uploaded your FAFSA yet. There was some glitch or edit made to mine preventing it from being processed even though I completed it in the fall. Definitely call and check up if you don’t see an award yet!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called — they might not have uploaded your FAFSA yet. There was some glitch or edit made to mine preventing it from being processed even though I completed it in the fall. Definitely call and check up if you don’t see an award yet!
What did you do to fix this issue?

I emailed them with my student ID number and they said they’d fix it so that I’ll have my package on Monday

Will be withdrawing my acceptance here. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone! Sorry to post again. Since decision day is coming up, I thought I'd post again. If anyone has any questions or second thoughts about Maryland, feel free to PM me! I had to decide among several medical schools and really thought a lot of things through as well. I'm finishing up my first year now and am involved with a lot at school and would be happy to share my perspective. Good luck on decisions!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how long the waitlist here is and if they have a separate IS and OOS waitlist? I'm getting antsy as we approach May :p

Does anyone know how long the waitlist here is and if they have a separate IS and OOS waitlist? I'm getting antsy as we approach May :p

On MSAR, it says they accepted 10 applicants off a 100 person waitlist. Not sure if it would be any different this year with the traffic rules.

On MSAR, it says they accepted 10 applicants off a 100 person waitlist. Not sure if it would be any different this year with the traffic rules.
any idea when they are going to send out the waitlist ranking email?

I received a question about letter grades (if getting a C would look bad to residency vs. pass at another school and here's my reply, thought I'd share):

The letter grading was a huge turnoff when I was picking medical schools but now that I'm here, it really means nothing and nobody thinks anything of it. I mean it. The only worry is still pass/fail at the end of the day unless you're just someone who chooses to stress about grades. I thought I would be more stressed about grades but nope. In fact, after doing well on 2 earlier exams in a block, I could calculate that I would get a B with an F on the final exam of a block and could relax a little bit, though I still studied hard.

Nobody likes to get C's or is used to getting C's, but you become accustomed to whatever your new performance level is in med school whether you're an A, B, or C kind of med student. The consensus among I think most of the upperclassmen and residents from here is that the preclinical grades have very little influence on residency apps. If you do well on STEP, SHELF exams, and have strong letter of recs, that C on your pre-clinical grade transcript won't make them think less of you. Especially since they don't even know what a C in anatomy means in the context of comparing you to an applicant with a P/F system at another school. They could only compare you to another UMSOM student and I doubt that you'd really be identical to your fellow classmate with the only difference being pre-clinical grades. Much more likely to come down to something else. Plus if you have a pass at another school but really got a C, means the same thing for your STEP score in terms of what you know and don't know. And I'm sure that residency program directors know that pass could literally mean you got a 70% and they're not going to assume you got an A (unless it's tiered high pass situation). Theyll just look once and be like "yup they passed all their preclinicals." For maryland it's like "yup they passed all their things. Some C's but we have nothing to compare that to with other applicants who might have also gotten C's with their pass." And they end up weighing other things more.

You can look at the data here for what residency program directors ranked as most important: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
If I was given an MD/University Grant for the 2019-2020 Academic Year, can I expect to get this same amount for each year of medical school? Also does anyone know if it's merit or need based?

If I was given an MD/University Grant for the 2019-2020 Academic Year, can I expect to get this same amount for each year of medical school? Also does anyone know if it's merit or need based?
I’ll be honest you - from what I know, no, you can’t expect to get the grant each year of medical school. This year, I lost mine and so did my friends, not sure if it’s reserved for first years or what. Not sure if it’s need or merit based.

Received a question about the 2+2 curriculum at UMSOM, here's my reply that I thought I'd share:
The 2+2 curriculum is a common question - one that is a bit hard for me to answer as a first year since I don't have the perspective of someone who's been through both years and STEP. However from my perspective and what I've heard from upperclassmen, there are pros and cons. Yes, you have to re-learn (review, I should say) first year material when studying pathophysiology and that may seem like a huge pain in the ass when you're going through it, but on the other hand, you're getting repetition that other curriculums don't have right before the STEP exam. By forcing yourself to review and re-learn the material as you go through pathophysiology, I've heard that this was actually a positive thing for STEP. As opposed to a curriculum that reviewed say, cardio normal/abnormal at the start of MS1. Then by the time they get to STEP, they've only seen it once waaaay back at the start of MS1. Compare to UMB's curriculum: you'll see say, cardio beginning of first year and then review it again + learn the pathophys second year. So the pro of this is you'll get exposure to the material a couple times before dedicated study time. Of course the con is, you have to re-learn the phys second year, which doesn't seem very efficient. I think it's one of those hindsight is 20/20 things -- I think most people after STEP are pretty happy with how UMSOM prepared them for the exam and saw the pro of having the 2+2 curriculum, but I haven't been through it personally.

Also received a question about shadowing:
There are TONS of shadowing opportunities. No formal elective credit to my knowledge; you can take electives/subinternships in third and fourth year, as well as elective and track courses. Many interest groups will organize really cool workshops (putting in lines, intubation workshop, phlebotomy workshop, etc.) and shadowing opportunities for you (peds subspecialties, neurology subspecialties, etc.). There's a group called Exploring Careers in Medicine where you rotate every month in a different specialty to shadow for 3-4 hours in specialties you don't get exposure to often as a third and fourth year, like rad-onc, urology, dermatology, anesthesiology, etc. One really strong point about UMB is that for the most part, clinicians LOVE when you shadow. They encourage it and they really love to teach and show you around. They're always offering up their emails and encouraging you to ask questions. You just have to make time to shadow. the schedule for UMB is really great compared to other curriculums I found. you're only required to be there 10-12 so plenty of time for shadowing if you choose to do it. you have clinical doctoring course one afternoon a week, but this isn't every week. you also have service learning once a week generally.

Reactions: 6 users
Withdrew my instate acceptance - good luck to everyone!!!

accepted off the WL this morning, IS, interviewed mid-march.

Reactions: 4 users
Lowkey, I was going to call them and ask about WL ranking this week too

telling us rankings means they'll tell us what HALF we're in of 259 people?? also "The class is currently over-subscribed and it is unlikely that many positions will become available" sounds FALSE???

telling us rankings means they'll tell us what HALF we're in of 259 people?? also "The class is currently over-subscribed and it is unlikely that many positions will become available" sounds FALSE???

Judging from the past MSAR information, that's accurate. They report taking about 10 students off the waitlist each year.

Judging from the past MSAR information, that's accurate. They report taking about 10 students off the waitlist each year.
oh i just meant the over-subscribed part as someone reported being accepted off of the waitlist. either that or they're being optimistic about how many people will end up declining.

oh i just meant the over-subscribed part as someone reported being accepted off of the waitlist. either that or they're being optimistic about how many people will end up declining.

Ah I see what you mean. Honestly, sounds like a copy/paste e-mail with numbers changed so I wouldn't try to read too deeply into it.

Right? Because someone was accepted yesterday from the WL... why would they accept somebody yesterday if the class is over-subscribed in May? Seems sketchy

I just withdrew my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of y'all!!

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew from the WL. Hurt so bad when it happened back in the fall. Wish I could go back and tell myself that everything was gonna work out for the best. Good luck everyone!

Withdrew from the WL. Hurt so bad when it happened back in the fall. Wish I could go back and tell myself that everything was gonna work out for the best. Good luck everyone!

Same. I have chosen to stay in state for medical school for financial reasons but loved Maryland with all my heart. Maybe I'll be back one day. Good luck to everyone!