2018-2019 University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone who has interviewed here can you comment on how familiar you were/needed to be on Maryland specific healthcare laws. I have an upcoming interview, and am worried that some of the questions will require a substantial understanding of Maryland specific laws and healthcare infrastructure. If this is the case, I would appreciate any resources you found helpful during your preparation. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone who has interviewed here can you comment on how familiar you were/needed to be on Maryland specific healthcare laws. I have an upcoming interview, and am worried that some of the questions will require a substantial understanding of Maryland specific laws and healthcare infrastructure. If this is the case, I would appreciate any resources you found helpful during your preparation. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

This is not the case at all. You don’t really need to know anything specifically about the state.

Reactions: 1 user
Be ready to discuss any major things in ur app, specially research. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IS, URM, LizzyM 66. Secondary completed 9/2. Interview invite Monday morning at 10am. Only available date was March 18th :inpain: ...Not sure if this is the last available date of the cycle so if you haven’t heard anything please do not give up hope!

Reactions: 2 users
IS, URM, LizzyM 66. Secondary completed 9/2. Interview invite Monday morning at 10am. Only available date was March 18th :inpain: ...Not sure if this is the last available date of the cycle so if you haven’t heard anything please do not give up hope!
were you on hold first?

If someone who has already interviewed here this cycle can describe the interview day it would be appreciated. I keep reading about people getting shoddy directions and having to find their interviewers in the hospital by themselves lol

If someone who has already interviewed here this cycle can describe the interview day it would be appreciated. I keep reading about people getting shoddy directions and having to find their interviewers in the hospital by themselves lol

Maybe they changed things up by the time I interviewed, but I thought the interview day was okay--definitely not as stressful as I imagined. The admissions office gave each of us individual instructions on how to get to our interviews, and provided a map. Your interviewers and their office locations are listed on an itinerary for you. If you do get lost, you can always ask people for directions; everyone was really nice/helpful!

If you have morning interviews: you interview first, then go back to the admissions office for a financial aid presentation, then lunch with current medical students, followed by a tour. If you have afternoon interviews, they call you beforehand to tell you that you can arrive later, and you attend the financial aid presentation, then lunch, then tour, and then have your interviews.

I'd appreciate this as well

This was my exact experience. I have trouble blaming it on the school though. My interviewer was very understanding and I just missed part of a presentation.

I personally was taken directly to the door of my interviewer's office. I interviewed in the afternoon and the student who was giving my group the tour dedicated the last 10 min of showing us around to drop off everyone exactly where they needed to be.
Edit: Then, the faculty member who I had just interviewed with was able to walk me directly to my student interview.

Last edited:
I was brought to my first interview by the student tour guide. The second one i had to go out of the hospital, down the street into one of the med school buildings, find my way upstairs and to a professors office. I got lost a few times and ended up in a random lab so i wasn’t happy about the second location. They definitely could’ve done a better job at helping us get from one to the other - especially because i suck at reading maps lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I was brought to my first interview by the student tour guide. The second one i had to go out of the hospital, down the street into one of the med school buildings, find my way upstairs and to a professors office. I got lost a few times and ended up in a random lab so i wasn’t happy about the second location. They definitely could’ve done a better job at helping us get from one to the other - especially because i suck at reading maps lol
Ahhh this is going to be interesting.

Has anyone sent in thank you letters of letters of interest and were they receptive to it?

Has anyone sent in thank you letters of letters of interest and were they receptive to it?

I sent thank you email to my interviewers and one of them replied back. Pretty sure they are open to it! It's a good gesture so why not. Not sure about letter of interest tho!

Just withdrew my offer of admission. I sincerely hope one of you gets my spot <3

Reactions: 4 users
Is the general consensus that we should hear back approximately a month post-interview? Skimming past posts makes it seem like it takes anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months to hear back.

Is the general consensus that we should hear back approximately a month post-interview? Skimming past posts makes it seem like it takes anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months to hear back.

I heard back 2 weeks post-interview, and my friend who was accepted last year also heard back in two weeks. That being said, we were strong applicants so perhaps we floated to the top of the pool. Stay strong during the wait!

Do any current students have any information on the proposed new curriculum for 2020?

Do any current students have any information on the proposed new curriculum for 2020?
I know another school told me (on interview day) that the LCME (who grants schools accreditation) decided that all schools must move towards an “intergrated” curriculum model instead of the traditional 2 years preclinical 2 years clinical by a certain year (i don’t remember the details) or they lose their accreditation. So if I’m correct I’d assume it’ll be like other schools that have a more integrated curriculum. I’m also totally guessing though

Has anyone applied for financial aid or heard anything about scholarships? I did the FAFSA, but I can't seem to find a separate UMD SOM financial aid application like most schools have.

Thank you for this. I wonder how dramatic the changes will be. From what I remember UMD seemed to have a very traditional curriculum and grades, so I wonder if this would actually change for our second year. Should probably assume not
Yeah, I was thinking the only thing it would affect would be the grading system for our second year.

Yeah, I was thinking the only thing it would affect would be the grading system for our second year.
I am really torn about the grading system. I have a friend who goes to UMD and she says “you have to study really hard for step 1 anyway so pass/fail or not doesn’t really matter bc no matter what you’re going to be trying to know it all”. Other people say that all schools are ranking you internally to some extent and if they’re not then that’s a disservice to the people who are doing well. Other people say pass/fail really makes it a non competitive environment. So idk how much of a factor to make the grading system when weighing UMD against other options

I am really torn about the grading system. I have a friend who goes to UMD and she says “you have to study really hard for step 1 anyway so pass/fail or not doesn’t really matter bc no matter what you’re going to be trying to know it all”. Other people say that all schools are ranking you internally to some extent and if they’re not then that’s a disservice to the people who are doing well. Other people say pass/fail really makes it a non competitive environment. So idk how much of a factor to make the grading system when weighing UMD against other options
During my interview, a student told me that they don't really worry too much about the grading system and that the majority of students get B's. I've heard that letter grades kind of give students a gage of how well they understand the information. Rather than the grading system, I usually focus more on how well a school prepares students for boards.

anyone know how difficult it is to get instate status at this school?
apparently after 1 year (and changing driver's license, and permanent address) a lot of students appeal their in-state status and have been successful at switching. Not sure much more than that, but students did mention it at lunch.

anyone know how difficult it is to get instate status at this school?
you could ask the financial aid office probably if it is not apparent on the website. I would think they would know if switching to in-state is a possibility.

apparently after 1 year (and changing driver's license, and permanent address) a lot of students appeal their in-state status and have been successful at switching. Not sure much more than that, but students did mention it at lunch.
Ahhh good to know it’s at least possible. Thank you!!!!

Has anyone applied for financial aid or heard anything about scholarships? I did the FAFSA, but I can't seem to find a separate UMD SOM financial aid application like most schools have.
Here's some good info I found on FAFSA stuff: Financial Aid Calendar
I don't think there is a separate financial aid application besides FAFSA. I filled out FAFSA in like November. I heard back about scholarships on the 19th.

Here's some good info I found on FAFSA stuff: Financial Aid Calendar
I don't think there is a separate financial aid application besides FAFSA. I filled out FAFSA in like November. I heard back about scholarships on the 19th.
uhhh *crying* I've been accepted since October and had my FAFSA completed in October or November why haven't I heard back

uhhh *crying* I've been accepted since October and had my FAFSA completed in October or November why haven't I heard back
I haven't gotten my true financial aid package, so hopefully we'll hear back soon!! The website says something about priority award packages being sent out in March!

What does everyone think about this school based on their interviews?