2018-2019 University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Maryland School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone receive a secondary yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received!

Same prompts as last year. 1500 characters each.
1. Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine.
2. Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service.
3. What does it mean to you to enter into a profession?

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary received!

Same prompts as last year. 1500 characters each.
1. Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine.
2. Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service.
3. What does it mean to you to enter into a profession?

+1 OOS

Reactions: 1 user
I still haven't received the secondary yet. OOS. :(

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received! I thought they forgot about me haha.

Edit: Looks like this school is having issues with its secondary website too......

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
" Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service."

Thoughts on using hospital volunteering? Or should this be strictly non-clinical?

" Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service."

Thoughts on using hospital volunteering? Or should this be strictly non-clinical?
Because of the other prompt, I'd say go non-clinical.

"Work Experience (paid)"

On these, two questions
1) do you include positions you got a stipend or scholarship for? I.e. summer research
2) if you got a promotion from part time to full time and your hours ranged from 20-60 hours per week, would you average or write "20-60"?

"Work Experience (paid)"

On these, two questions
1) do you include positions you got a stipend or scholarship for? I.e. summer research
2) if you got a promotion from part time to full time and your hours ranged from 20-60 hours per week, would you average or write "20-60"?
It only allows numerical answers. I had the same problem and just used the average between the two.

Received the secondary today, OOS.

For the "Have you done independent research or study? (We are looking for research that you did outside of the course/classroom requirement)" question.... Did you guys go into detail about what you did? Or just say, for example, "Yes, I volunteered in xxx laboratory, etc." Battling what to do as I extensively described what I did for research in my primary...

Received the secondary today, OOS.

For the "Have you done independent research or study? (We are looking for research that you did outside of the course/classroom requirement)" question.... Did you guys go into detail about what you did? Or just say, for example, "Yes, I volunteered in xxx laboratory, etc." Battling what to do as I extensively described what I did for research in my primary...

I went into it thoroughly in my application too. I just succinctly stated when I did the research, what I researched, and what my responsibilities were.

I went into it thoroughly in my application too. I just succinctly stated when I did the research, what I researched, and what my responsibilities were.
Ok, awesome. Thanks for the prompt response :)

Anyone who submitted have a red mark next to their letter status even though it lists them? I assume they just pulled them over from amcas but haven't got around to processing yet.
+1 It says received but it is still not complete??

Finally got the green check for my LoRs. Now that I have all green checks, I'm assuming my app is moving to review.

If our most important clinical exposure was a main story in our PS and #1 on our most meaningful, should I write about something else? Or expand on it different with a different approach?

If our most important clinical exposure was a main story in our PS and #1 on our most meaningful, should I write about something else? Or expand on it different with a different approach?
I'd recommend writing about something else unless you can expand on it with a really interesting, different approach. I feel like if you write about something else, it gives you two opportunities to reflect on experiences that meant something to you/changed you for the better. Twice the insight into how caring and great you are ;)

I'd recommend writing about something else unless you can expand on it with a really interesting, different approach. I feel like if you write about something else, it gives you two opportunities to reflect on experiences that meant something to you/changed you for the better. Twice the insight into how caring and great you are ;)

So I think the problem is I only have 3 clinical experiences ~ Shadowing at shock trauma (100 hours), EMT (1800+ hours), and scribe (1500 hours). Both EMT and scribe were included into my most meaningful and my PS. Shadowing I dont think personally was anything close to as impact as either of these, especially scribbing.

Should I post the same work description that I used in my primaries/activities section for the Paid Work Experience? or are you guys using a different description for it?

Should I post the same work description that I used in my primaries/activities section for the Paid Work Experience? or are you guys using a different description for it?
I rewrote it in different words , stressing parts that I wanted to highlight

I just wrote my job title, given how small the entry box was. Hopefully that's ok :lame:

Reactions: 1 users
I just wrote my job title, given how small the entry box was. Hopefully that's ok :lame:
I did this as well. I had one "odd" job where I wrote a short description after it. But, I figured they already know the duties of a scribe so there was no need to fill up more space.

Has anyone received a complete email and/or have their portal say everything is complete? My app still says "submitted 7/17" but everything has green checks so just wanted to make sure I don't need to call and find out what's up

Does anyone know how strict admissions are on the “one non-science” LOR. Most of my professors were science so any non-science were from my freshman year and would definitely write me a weaker letter.

Quick question for "Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine." Would an experience working with subjects in a prostate cancer clinical trial work for this prompt?

Is anyone else's references being marked as not received? I called the admissions office Monday and they said it was a problem on their end but it hasn't changed and I don't want my app to be held up if ya feeels

Hey everyone! Could anyone just let me know whether the "1500 characters" includes spaces or no spaces?

I got verified on 7/25 and I still havent received a secondary. Is this normal for this school?

Is anyone else's references being marked as not received? I called the admissions office Monday and they said it was a problem on their end but it hasn't changed and I don't want my app to be held up if ya feeels
I'm in the same boat

Last edited:
"8.) Please describe and explain below any academic problems which you might have had while in college and/or graduate or professional school. Please include withdrawals, incompletes, poor grades, etc. (If you feel that you have not had any academic problems please state that) "

How are people answering this question if they do not have anything? "N/A"? or just saying there is nothing to add

"8.) Please describe and explain below any academic problems which you might have had while in college and/or graduate or professional school. Please include withdrawals, incompletes, poor grades, etc. (If you feel that you have not had any academic problems please state that) "

How are people answering this question if they do not have anything? "N/A"? or just saying there is nothing to add
N/A if it doesn't apply to you!