2018-2019 University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just wrote something like "I feel I have not had any major academic problems."

N/A if it doesn't apply to you!

Should we write about retaking the MCAT as an academic issue or leave it be?

Members don't see this ad.

Should we write about retaking the MCAT as an academic issue or leave it be?
I feel like if you took the MCAT and did poorly due to a personal reason then retook it and improved a lot you could always include it here (I'm not sure if there's a more appropriate section for it since I don't remember the app). I get why you're questioning it since the MCAT isn't exactly academic, but I don't think it would be wrong to include it here!

Reactions: 1 user
for the independent research, is it ok to talk about research where i didnt necessarily have my own project? i worked in a lab for 2 years but didnt have my own project per say

Members don't see this ad :)
for the volunteering one, would it be bad to talk about something i just started in june?

For this prompt: Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine.

When they say clinical, do they want to hear about our experience with patients and doctors only? I was thinking about writing a bit about how I observed the business side of healthcare as a scribe, but should I keep this part out?

This is my first II! In-state, my committee letter was the last part of my application to be complete, and it was sent in on July 23rd. Seems like they might send out invites in order and are currently on the July 20-somethings?

For those IS with interviews, when did you submit your secondary? I never received a complete email, but my portal says complete.

My first II and I am about to cry I'm so happy. IS, submitted 7/17.

I never got the complete email, but I called the admissions office earlier (before I got the II) and they said my application was complete (they didn't know why there was no email)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is my first II! In-state, my committee letter was the last part of my application to be complete, and it was sent in on July 23rd. Seems like they might send out invites in order and are currently on the July 20-somethings?
I don’t think it’s in a strict order. Some people that were complete mid-late July last year got II in September-October

Did your portal status say complete and/or did you all receive a complete email before receiving II's? My status still just says App submitted... :/

I don’t think it’s in a strict order. Some people that were complete mid-late July last year got II in September-October
Ah okay, good to know. I'm still nervously awaiting interviews for some other schools where it seems people who submitted after me have already received interviews :/

Ah okay, good to know. I'm still nervously awaiting interviews for some other schools where it seems people who submitted after me have already received interviews :/
Right there with you, just gotta realize it's still very early in the cycle!

Help! What did you guys do for the "end date" for your employment experiences? I noticed that the "end date" defaults to the first of the month. But what if my end date for something was actually August 20th, for example? I do not want to put September 1st because I don't want to overestimate/be inconsistent with my AMCAS app, but I also don't want to sell myself short of a whole month of work. Did anyone reach out to admissions about this?

Help! What did you guys do for the "end date" for your employment experiences? I noticed that the "end date" defaults to the first of the month. But what if my end date for something was actually August 20th, for example? I do not want to put September 1st because I don't want to overestimate/be inconsistent with my AMCAS app, but I also don't want to sell myself short of a whole month of work. Did anyone reach out to admissions about this?
I truly don't think it'll impact you regardless of which you choose, especially if your employment was over a year. For my job I had 3+ years in college I put may 1st when I really finished middle of may. For my two summer jobs I put 8/1 when I really finished at the end of July once and a week into August the other.

I truly don't think it'll impact you regardless of which you choose, especially if your employment was over a year. For my job I had 3+ years in college I put may 1st when I really finished middle of may. For my two summer jobs I put 8/1 when I really finished at the end of July once and a week into August the other.
Gotchya. Yeah, I ended up just putting the same month dates that I had in my AMCAS primary to be consistent with it. Thank you!

Anyone happen to know if they're receptive to ITA emails? I was unable to find anything on their website about it.

II
Stats: 3.8/519
Complete 7/18

Reactions: 1 users
II! Can't believe it!! OOS, complete 7/18.

II yesterday, LM ~73, complete 7/23!

Edit: OOS

Congrats, so jealous of you guys. Complete 7/18 and IS, but haven't heard anything. I'm hoping its not chronological, this is by far my top choice.

Wow, all of these great stats! II yesterday. IS. Complete 8/8. LM 63.3. URM.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, all of these great stats! II yesterday. IS. Complete 8/8. LM 63.3. URM.
Wow that's great! I have the same lizzy m score but I'm not urm. I haven't submitted my secondary yet but this gives me a little hope

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Any current students care to chime in on whether or not preclinical letter grades are here to stay or if there will be a shift to pass/fail? I've read somewhere that UMD may change to pass/fail, but I've also heard that the school is quite resistant to change.

II, OOS! Complete 8/13

I have this notes on my portal, anyone else have it? I have 3 green checks, app summited, fee paid and LOR. do I need to do anything for the notes below?

**Please Note: If you are NO LONGER submitting a LOR(s) that you listed on your secondary application (Questions 16a and/or 16b), please send an email stating that to [email protected]. Your application will not be reviewed until we've received all of the LORS listed on your secondary application.**

I have this notes on my portal, anyone else have it? I have 3 green checks, app summited, fee paid and LOR. do I need to do anything for the notes below?

**Please Note: If you are NO LONGER submitting a LOR(s) that you listed on your secondary application (Questions 16a and/or 16b), please send an email stating that to [email protected]. Your application will not be reviewed until we've received all of the LORS listed on your secondary application.**

+1

I just checked the portal and I am in the same boat as you.

if anyone is also interviewing on 9/17 and wants a friend PM me lol

II received yesterday! LM = 70, IS, complete 7/26

Wooo I’m afternoon - they called and told me to show up at 10:30 instead

Same, I had a mini heart attack when I heard "This is so-and-so from the U of MD office of admissions" on the other line haha. Feel free to DM me if you wanna meet up Monday!

II today! OOS, and LM ~70. Does anyone know how picking morning vs. afternoon interviews works? Are they just assigned on a later date?
Congrats! Assume you have morning interviews unless they call you - I got a call the Friday before my interview (on Monday) and they told me to come in later bc i had two afternoon interviews

Right! Just the one that says "Received Second Stage Application."
I only got a receipt from them after I paid for the secondary but not an email like what you're saying. There are all green checkmarks next to my thingies- should I just call to make sure they've received it?

Hey guys, how open is UMD Med to bordering state residents? Applying as a disadvantaged applicant.

I only got a receipt from them after I paid for the secondary but not an email like what you're saying. There are all green checkmarks next to my thingies- should I just call to make sure they've received it?

Your guess is as good as mine! Sounds like you're all set--the email I'm talking about was like an automatic "app submitted" one, so maybe it got filtered out of your inbox? But if I were you, I'd probably call to be safe. Can't hurt!

Interviewing soon, any tips for the interviews? How long is each interview?

Interviewing soon, any tips for the interviews? How long is each interview?
Congrats, mine were each 45 min but be prepared for anything. My advice is to try and google the names once you get the list from admissions so you can ask them something about their work. Other advice is to go with the flow as much as possible and roll with whatever questions you are asked. One of my interviews was more standard/straightforward than the other, it just depends on who you get as your interviewer.

They're about 30-45 min each. both of mine were pretty conversational and traditional. If you look at the SDN interview page, i thought those were helpful.
Some say that their interviewer grilled them, but I didn't have that experience! some questions were the same though.
Congrats, mine were each 45 min but be prepared for anything. My advice is to try and google the names once you get the list from admissions so you can ask them something about their work. Other advice is to go with the flow as much as possible and roll with whatever questions you are asked. One of my interviews was more standard/straightforward than the other, it just depends on who you get as your interviewer.
Thanks guys :happy:

For anyone who has interviewed, when did you get the list of names from admissions? I am interviewing tomorrow and have not received any more info besides the initial interview invite.

You get it in your packet when you check in tomorrow
For anyone who has interviewed, when did you get the list of names from admissions? I am interviewing tomorrow and have not received any more info besides the initial interview invite.