2018-2019 University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish I knew the answer to that question bud. I'm in-state, applied disadvantaged, white male with 3.93sGPA and 522 MCAT and I've heard nothing. Honestly I have only seen I believe 3-4 interview invites on this thread to people complete later than us, so my best guess would be that we are in that time frame where our application has been reviewed by some but not all of the people who are required to review it. I anticipate that we will hear back soon, and FWIW there were numerous applicants who interviewed and were accepted after Thanksgiving last year despite being complete as early as mid-July. If you're anything like me, your high MCAT score is (ironically) what has you worried because you would have expected more bites, but after voicing my concerns to several very well-informed people, I've come to the conclusion that there is truly no point in trying to make sense of this process, and there are tons of factors that go into who gets reviewed/interviewed first, many of which have very little to do with how qualified you are as an applicant/your likelihood of being interviewed/accepted. So hang in there and just hold onto the fact that you haven't been rejected yet. That's what I'm doing.
Thanks for the note. This is very reassuring. I am a nontraditional applicant and have been left in the dark because I don’t know many other people applying this cycle. I have no idea if schools are just not interested in my app or they haven’t gotten to it yet. Do you think it’s true that Maryland already filled up interview slots up to January? Do you think people will cancel earlier interview dates being that it’s marylands only in state school?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the note. This is very reassuring. I am a nontraditional applicant and have been left in the dark because I don’t know many other people applying this cycle. I have no idea if schools are just not interested in my app or they haven’t gotten to it yet. Do you think it’s true that Maryland already filled up interview slots up to January? Do you think people will cancel earlier interview dates being that it’s marylands only in state school?
I'm not an expert, but based on what I've been reading on threads from other schools, I think it's possible that interview slots are filled up to January. That said, I don't think that's a cause for concern. An interview in January can still lead to an acceptance, and if you look at last year's thread for UMDSOM you'll see several people who interviewed in January and were accepted, and that's just a small sample taken from SDN where most people apply super early. It's not like they just ignore all the people who weren't complete in early July. August is not late; it's not as early as a lot of the people on SDN, but it's not late. As we speak I am at work sitting right next to a doctor in an ED in southern Maryland who attended UMDSOM and got accepted off the wait list after interviewing in late December. In fact, he was just telling me how this process is "soul-crushing." So hang in there, try not to stress too hard about it (yeah right). Think about all the people who were complete in July and haven't heard anything; I'm sure if you look around you'll find plenty of them on here. Worst case scenario, you reapply super early next cycle with your still-awesome MCAT and some additional experiences and get accepted.

I'm not an expert, but based on what I've been reading on threads from other schools, I think it's possible that interview slots are filled up to January. That said, I don't think that's a cause for concern. An interview in January can still lead to an acceptance, and if you look at last year's thread for UMDSOM you'll see several people who interviewed in January and were accepted, and that's just a small sample taken from SDN where most people apply super early. It's not like they just ignore all the people who weren't complete in early July. August is not late; it's not as early as a lot of the people on SDN, but it's not late. As we speak I am at work sitting right next to a doctor in an ED in southern Maryland who attended UMDSOM and got accepted off the wait list after interviewing in late December. In fact, he was just telling me how this process is "soul-crushing." So hang in there, try not to stress too hard about it (yeah right). Think about all the people who were complete in July and haven't heard anything; I'm sure if you look around you'll find plenty of them on here. Worst case scenario, you reapply super early next cycle with your still-awesome MCAT and some additional experiences and get accepted.
Yeah I'm IS complete the day I got the secondary on 7/18 and have had total silence. I had multiple friends get II last cycle in November-December after being complete July-August. I also had a friend get accepted after interviewing on the last day possible. Until you get a rejection, you're in the game.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Part of the silence crowd. Want to say congrats to everyone that's been accepted, this school is so dope!! fingers crossed

Reactions: 1 user
My friend interviewed at Maryland February four years ago and got in. It’s just that the 25 other schools I have applied to haven’t reached out to me either. I’ll definitely remain patient. I have a very solid resume and experiences. I guess my 3.53 sGPA is just holding me back

How much did you guys write for the question about what it means to enter a profession? I don't think I will be able to write a whole lot...I summed it up in just a few sentences but feel uncomfortable with not even using half the character limit uggh

Put on hold just now. OOS complete in late July

Reactions: 2 users
pre-II hold, is this good for this school? or is it pretty much just a soft reject?

Reactions: 1 users
How much did you guys write for the question about what it means to enter a profession? I don't think I will be able to write a whole lot...I summed it up in just a few sentences but feel uncomfortable with not even using half the character limit uggh

I think mine was about 1000 characters. As long as you answer the question, you should be fine!

I just got a call !!! ACCEPTED !!! ONGOGMOMGOMGOMGGMGOMG

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 10/1 and am starting to get nervous... Has anyone who interviewed prior to 10/3 or 10/15 not heard yet?

Was just placed on hold. Isn't this good news? I don't think a lot of people get placed on hold.

I interviewed 10/1 and am starting to get nervous... Has anyone who interviewed prior to 10/3 or 10/15 not heard yet?

Update: just heard back today! :) Didn't get a call though, just an email saying to check the portal

Waitlisted. Interviewed 10/15. Pretty crushed but not surprised. Didn't feel too great about the interview. Good luck all.

accepted via email/portal today around 2:30 PM! super stoked - this is my first acceptance and i loved the school. LM 70, OOS, interviewed 10/15 (so wow @ that turnaround time)

Received the hold email yesterday. Complete 8/20, LM 67, OOS, ORM

They got my primary on 6/29--so many they screen based on IS vs. OOS? They sat on my primary over a month before giving me a secondary
are you IS? I got my secondary almost immediately and I'm quite the low stat OOS applicant

Put on hold a few days ago, complete late July. However, when I check my status on the portal, there is a new line that appears under "Letter of References" that says "Interview", followed by a lock symbol, followed by a message that says "under review". Does anybody else on hold see this on their portal?

Put on hold a few days ago, complete late July. However, when I check my status on the portal, there is a new line that appears under "Letter of References" that says "Interview", followed by a lock symbol, followed by a message that says "under review". Does anybody else on hold see this on their portal?

Yes I see the same thing.

are you IS? I got my secondary almost immediately and I'm quite the low stat OOS applicant
really? how weird, I am OOS also! I am bummed as I really liked U of Maryland... They graduated a ton of people into psychiatry... I love psychiatry

EDIT: also my pre--II hold notification email says that they accept updates... If there was a 0% chance that we would get an interview after being put on hold, I doubt they would bother allowing us to update them
But, I of course will not get my hopes up too high

Last edited:
congrats on your acceptances here! i'm a first year medical student at UMSOM -- let me know if you have any questions! i've been answering questions for people via PM but feel free to post on the forum as well. i was deciding among several med schools and picked here so if you have a hard time deciding or something, let me know!

Hey man! I recently got put on the waitlist after an interview. Do you know how much the waitlist is supposed to move and what steps I should take at this point. Thanks for the help

Just realized that despite my letters being received in August, the portal still didn't have a green check mark untill I emailed them yesterday. I got a complete email now despite completing my secondary application in September -__-. Did anyone else deal with this issue?

Just realized that despite my letters being received in August, the portal still didn't have a green check mark untill I emailed them yesterday. I got a complete email now despite completing my secondary application in September -__-. Did anyone else deal with this issue?
No, that's tough. But maybe the adcoms will realize it wasn't your fault and review your app Asap

got placed on hold today 8/7 complete OOS LM 69-70

am still wondering why this school would put people on hold and bother to say that they "welcome updates" from us
is a hold for sure a soft R? or do we still have a shot at an II

I have all the green check marks but never got a complete email.....was complete in July and have heard nothing since

Accepted this morning! Interviewed mid-October

Reactions: 2 users
just got waitlisted. Interviewed 10/8. complete July. cGPA: 3.66 sGPA: 3.59 MCAT: 512. Honestly I just feel so defeated....this was by far my favorite interview so far and I walked out thinking I nailed it. Had such a good time with my interviewers and one of them kept telling me how much she liked my answers during the interview so I have no idea what I did wrong. Do you think it's because of stats?? this is pretty crushing but congrats to everyone else :\
Are you in-state? When exactly were you complete? URM? GPA is a little lower than their average. MCAT is fine though.