2018-2019 University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone. I'm a current M1 at UTHSC. I'm happy to answer any questions about applying/med school/uthsc. I was in your shoes not too long ago. I probably won't check this thread too frequently but PMs are welcome.

Good luck this cycle! It sucks but well worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone. I'm a current M1 at UTHSC. I'm happy to answer any questions about applying/med school/uthsc. I was in your shoes not too long ago. I probably won't check this thread too frequently but PMs are welcome.

Tried to PM you but seems like its blocked.

Members don't see this ad :)

Good luck this cycle! It sucks but well worth it.
Dear VOL-Fan
Would you please share your first-year experience at UT, like How was your schedule, whats the expectations from the school, any required research hours, anything odd, or some fun facts??
Your input here is highly appreciated.

Anyone know when first committee meeting will take place?

Anyone know when first committee meeting will take place?
First meeting took place this past Friday and first round of letters resulting from that meeting are set to go out this Friday.

When they said letters on Friday, is it that they send the letters on Friday or they send them a little earlier to be received on Friday? I can't remember the exact timeline on that.

Would it be wise to expect another round of interview invites after the meeting?

Would it be wise to expect another round of interview invites after the meeting?
they invite like 6-10 people per interview day and give a one week notice. they do interviews three days a week (MTW) so there are not waves of interviews like other medical schools, rather interviews will trickle in throughout the cycle.

they invite like 6-10 people per interview day and give a one week notice. they do interviews three days a week (MTW) so there are not waves of interviews like other medical schools, rather interviews will trickle in throughout the cycle.

That's great to know, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Survey email received, its electronic this year so probably only one letter in the mail regarding admissions decision. Expect they will come soon.

+1 on the Survey email this morning (11/6 at 10am). *Cue obsessive checking of the mailbox* Good luck to all waiting for an update.

Got my survey email at 10!! Good luck to everyone awaiting a decision!!!

For those who received the survey email this morning, does UTHSC usually send out hold/waitlist notices this early? Or is the email a good sign of an acceptance?

For those who received the survey email this morning, does UTHSC usually send out hold/waitlist notices this early? Or is the email a good sign of an acceptance?
They send you a decision no matter if its Accepted, Rejected, or Waitlist/Hold

I submitted my secondary on 9/27 and am waiting to hear back on interview. Has anyone else submitted their secondary around this time and heard anything yet?

I submitted my secondary on 9/27 and am waiting to hear back on interview. Has anyone else submitted their secondary around this time and heard anything yet?
I also submitted secondary on 9/27 and interviewed a couple weeks ago. Good news though, receiving a secondary means they will interview you. However, they give very short notice and there is no telling when it will happen but you can rest in knowing it will happen.

Accepted! First one! Stats below, IS, strong connection to Memphis area.
Primary: 6/29; Secondary: 8/27; II: 10/1; Interviewed: 10/9; Survey received: 11/6; Acceptance via snail-mail: 11/7
Good luck to everyone waiting for updates!

Reactions: 5 users
Primary: 6/29; Secondary: 8/27; II: 10/1; Interviewed: 10/9; Survey received: 11/6; Acceptance via snail-mail: 11/7
Congratulations!! Very excited for you!!

Congrats!

I also submitted secondary on 9/27 and interviewed a couple weeks ago. Good news though, receiving a secondary means they will interview you. However, they give very short notice and there is no telling when it will happen but you can rest in knowing it will happen.

I have heard this but wasn’t sure if it was true. Did they tell you this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

First acceptance!!!! So excited!!!! Got my survey email yesterday 11/6 and mailed acceptance packet today 11/7, did not expect that quick turn around!!! Good luck everyone who is waiting :)

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to those with interviews/acceptances! Wanted to express a little bit of my own concern: I haven't heard anything since my primary completion email in July. Do they continue to send out the "secondary" applications this late? Anyone in a similar boat? I am instate with competitive stats. Just confused.

Congrats to those with interviews/acceptances! Wanted to express a little bit of my own concern: I haven't heard anything since my primary completion email in July. Do they continue to send out the "secondary" applications this late? Anyone in a similar boat? I am instate with competitive stats. Just confused.
Yes, they will continue to send secondaries out for some time. Committee has met only once thus far. Class is usually only half full by December. And there is usually a fairly quick turn around between getting/turning in secondary and getting an interview invite. Hang in there!

Hey guys, my secondary was received Aug 28, and I still haven't heard anything about an interview? Is anyone else in this boat? My GPA is solid but MCAT a little low, don't know if they are going high stats first or not.

Hey guys, my secondary was received Aug 28, and I still haven't heard anything about an interview? Is anyone else in this boat? My GPA is solid but MCAT a little low, don't know if they are going high stats first or not.
+1 o_O

Does anyone know if there's a specific date they interview re-applicants who interviewed last year?

Question for anyone who has interviewed, what is the walking tour like? I am still rehabbing a pretty nasty fracture in my ankle and while I am starting to be able to walk a bit farther, I only ever walk that far in my running shoes which have support. I can do shorter distances in non-running shoes, but slowly and with a limp. I just saw the email when I got off work so I plan on contacting the office tomorrow to see what they suggest, but I’d hate to miss the tour if it’s something I am capabale of doing. Thanks!

Anyone else here IS, have significantly above average stats, well-rounded app, and still not receive an II yet? complete 8/27

Reactions: 1 users
Question for anyone who has interviewed, what is the walking tour like? I am still rehabbing a pretty nasty fracture in my ankle and while I am starting to be able to walk a bit farther, I only ever walk that far in my running shoes which have support. I can do shorter distances in non-running shoes, but slowly and with a limp. I just saw the email when I got off work so I plan on contacting the office tomorrow to see what they suggest, but I’d hate to miss the tour if it’s something I am capabale of doing. Thanks!
There was definitively quite a bit of walking during my interview (more than at any other school). You also will probably have to walk to the different buildings your interviewers are in. By the end of the day I was struggling with blisters in my heels, but when Dean Strother and Ms. Harris found out they were super nice and told me to just change shoes. I ended up wearing black slip on loafers the rest of the day. Anyways the admissions staff is so nice and I’m sure if you explained your situation and asked if you could wear tennis shoes for the walking portions of interview day they would be fine with it. I doubt they would want you to miss out on the tour for that reason. Good luck at your interview!

II today, IS. Best hotel to stay at that won't kill me or my bank account?

IS reapplicant with secondary complete 8/30-- no interview invite yet :/

For the regional interview, do I just show up at the time of my interview, or will it be similar to an interview day in Memphis? There’s no directions about the regional one at all.

For the regional interview, do I just show up at the time of my interview, or will it be similar to an interview day in Memphis? There’s no directions about the regional one at all.
Yeah just show up...not sure who yours is with obviously but mine was just with a doc at his private practice so I showed up, mentioned to the intake desk that I was there for an interview with Dr. so and so and they knew what was up.

Just finished my regional interview which was the "beta" interview! It was extremely casual and a fun discussion.