2018-2019 University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations!! I'm sure it's on the way!
My heart sank when I didn’t see a candy bar only to then realize the envelope read, “you have been accepted” so needless to say I deserve a big ass candy bar after enduring that heart attack.

Reactions: 1 user
My heart sank when I didn’t see a candy bar only to then realize the envelope read, “you have been accepted” so needless to say I deserve a big ass candy bar after enduring that heart attack.
Candy bar will come soon, unless someone was snackin on it while they put together your acceptance packet :p

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They sent it to my home address, so I got a picture from my brothers of the chocolate block half-eaten about an hour after it got there. lmao

Reactions: 4 users
II last night. Still hope for those of you waiting on one! Complete 9/27.

OOS II, any advice? What are the two interviews like?

Very conversational
Know your app and as an oos kid be able to answer why UTHSC.

Is there a second look day? I wanna scope out apartments

Is there a second look day? I wanna scope out apartments
I don't think there is. I was just planning on taking a two day trip down there to look at apartments and check out the school some more before I make some decisions.

Had anybody else received a “contingent” admission? Is that a normal thing for UTHSC to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think there is. I was just planning on taking a two day trip down there to look at apartments and check out the school some more before I make some decisions.
Smart, maybe I’ll do that instead

Had anybody else received a “contingent” admission? Is that a normal thing for UTHSC to do?
I think that they sometimes do in special circumstances. I have heard of people getting this from here from last cycle too

Very conversational
Know your app and as an oos kid be able to answer why UTHSC.

What’s the difference between the two interviews? I’ve heard there is an academic one and a non-academic one. Do they see your application? My interview is soon and they didn’t tell me much.

What’s the difference between the two interviews? I’ve heard there is an academic one and a non-academic one. Do they see your application? My interview is soon and they didn’t tell me much.
The academic one has access to your grades and application while the non-academic one has access to your ECs and not to your academics. I know my non-academic interview had specific questions for me that dealt with my ECs I had put on my app.

thats weird.. are you currently in undergrad still? Also, is this what they told you in their decision packet in the mail?

I’m graduating undergrad in May. They basically said if I go through this summer program (it doesn’t sound like it costs anything) and I pass it, then I can matriculate in the fall.

I’m graduating undergrad in May. They basically said if I go through this summer program (it doesn’t sound like it costs anything) and I pass it, then I can matriculate in the fall.

What I've heard is it means they are somewhat concerned about your academic performance in one area or another. You take the program and have to make B's in all the classes (I wanna say its three but not sure). I'm recalling a convo I had over a year ago but I want to say you may even get a stipend to take the classes.

So I am an In-State applicant. Received a Secondary here back in October. Called in November and Dean Strother told me himself that they were going to invite me for an interview eventually. To this day, I still have not heard anything. Has anyone gotten a secondary from here and not gotten an interview invite? What was the whole point of sending a secondary which didn't even have an essay or cost anything to submit? Ugh

So I am an In-State applicant. Received a Secondary here back in October. Called in November and Dean Strother told me himself that they were going to invite me for an interview eventually. To this day, I still have not heard anything. Has anyone gotten a secondary from here and not gotten an interview invite? What was the whole point of sending a secondary which didn't even have an essay or cost anything to submit? Ugh
From the dates posted online, they interview through mid to late April. I'd be patient and hope for the best!!

In the same boat! They are just slow. You aren’t alone lol

One interview consists of you defending your character by articulating on relevant experiences. The other addresses academic shortcomings, if applicable, ethical questions, and overall readiness to become a doctor. Both interviews were open AMCAS. Hope this helps and good luck.

One interview consists of you defending your character by articulating on relevant experiences. The other addresses academic shortcomings, if applicable, ethical questions, and overall readiness to become a doctor. Both interviews were open AMCAS. Hope this helps and good luck.
Already had it but thanks! They were my best ones yet.

Anyone get a survey email from a recent interview?

Edit: got the survey around 9pm!

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten an email about the merit scholarships?

Has anyone gotten an email about the merit scholarships?
I was wondering that today as well
Silence here from a first week interviewee and early accepted. My student ambassador spoke to a friend who received a first year scholarship who said it may be early March before invitations are sent out for the merit scholarships. Unfortunately, I can't find much on previous year's threads about SDNers who were invited/awarded. Either no one on here those years got them or they decided or were instructed to keep it private. Either way, we may not know. Hopefully that trend will change this year and we will all get #blessed by the all-powerful financial aid committee...

Anyone look into housing yet? Mudd Island seems popular with M1s but is a bit far from campus.

Anyone look into housing yet? Mudd Island seems popular with M1s but is a bit far from campus.
I’m looking extensively lol. I heard on my interview date that Mudd Island is about a 10 minute drive

I’m going up in a few weeks to look at some apartments, but I have a dog who is ~50 pounds so it limits it a lot for me.

I’m going up in a few weeks to look at some apartments, but I have a dog who is ~50 pounds so it limits it a lot for me.
Same...have a 45 lb beagle.
I’m looking extensively lol. I heard on my interview date that Mudd Island is about a 10 minute drive
That's not too bad.

"I was told that the admissions committee will be notifying students of scholarship interview invitations this week and that the scholarship weekend is March 16th."

This is what my student ambassador told me about scholarship invites!!

Reactions: 2 users
"I was told that the admissions committee will be notifying students of scholarship interview invitations this week and that the scholarship weekend is March 16th."

This is what my student ambassador told me about scholarship invites!!

Did they say whether they were sending emails or snail mail? I feel like I've heard both. Either way, I hope somebody on this threads gets some good news this week!

Did they say whether they were sending emails or snail mail? I feel like I've heard both. Either way, I hope somebody on this threads gets some good news this week!

She didn't say!! Hopefully email since it's coming up pretty soon, and that's how they notified for interviews in the first place. Good luck everyone, fingers crossed!!!

Hey there! Any folks who have gotten interview invites recently, what were the dates you were offered?

Anyone who’s been accepted mind telling me what size envelope acceptances are in?

Hey guys, I am a current student here if you have any questions let me know

Reactions: 2 users
I've seen a lot of questions about housing in here. I'm getting a master's currently at UTHSC. I live on mud island and it takes me 5-10 minutes to get to campus normally. Also, I have a 75 pound dog and the limit is 30. The places I looked at didn't seem like they cared how much my dog weighed. My guess is they just use the limit as an excuse to turn away dogs they deem "dangerous".

Got the letter yesterday that I’m on hold, here’s to more waiting!