2018-2019 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I wonder if either of y'all were in my groups :D Even in a crowd that size, I'm easy to spot as the old guy in the group, lol.

Lol. I think I was in group 5, what about you?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Lol. I think I was in group 5, what about you?

Group 4 for me. I was the old guy in my group lol

Now that you ask, I can't remember lol. I've been to TCOM since then and we were grouped by letter, rather than number, so I forgot my UIW #. To be fair, I've also been cramming my noggin with endocrinology for my upcoming physio exam so I have to pick and choose what info I actually retain these days :D

Now that you ask, I can't remember lol. I've been to TCOM since then and we were grouped by letter, rather than number, so I forgot my UIW #. To be fair, I've also been cramming my noggin with endocrinology for my upcoming physio exam so I have to pick and choose what info I actually retain these days :D

And in the grand scheme of things, the group number at uiwsom does not qualify as useful information lol

Reactions: 1 user
How do you guys feel about the prosection lab? Idk if it should be my concern as I want to go into Orthopedics...

I like that there is a collaborative atmosphere that the school has fostered. Everyone is willing to help each other out. I also appreciate the curriculum because we are able to have a lot of freedom to schedule the majority of our day.

The curriculum seems to be covering a lot of “high yield” material for boards and we continuously revisit old material throughout each unit. Additionally, I feel like I retain information better in the style of curriculum that we have where the student is in charge of their own learning. However, it was a large adjustment coming from collete where you are spoonfed all of the information.

That's really awesome!! What did you do to help you adjusting to the curriculum quickly? Also, has the school being unaccredited ever been your concern before deciding to attend? Thanks!

Accepted yesterday! Interviewed on the 7th. I am Asian, OOS(Illinois) and Non-traditional. I can not remember which group I was in :/

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm in-state and was accepted here, would it be a bad move to cancel my ACOM interview? I know ACOM is slightly more established, but I'd prefer to stay in Texas for residency and family.

Last edited:
If I'm in-state and were to be accepted here, would it be a bad move to cancel my ACOM interview? I know ACOM is slightly more established, but I'd prefer to stay in Texas for residency and family.

I would say that's up to you. The tuition price is slightly cheaper, but if you want to stay in Texas i feel that's good enough reason. I did exactly that.

how do y'all feel about the prosected cadavers vs dissecting on your own

Kinda iffy since we would be missing out on that experience but not really a deal breaker (IMO).

We have mostly prosected cadavers but they also have a few stations set up where you can do some dissecting and digging around yourself. I honestly prefer the prosected cadavers so I can see what I need to see and move on. Dissecting, especially when you don't really know what you're doing, takes forever and you only have a couple of real in lab hours per week.

Kinda iffy since we would be missing out on that experience but not really a deal breaker (IMO).
yeah I guess the pro to that is that it saves you a lot of time but still would be nice to be engaged and reinforce what you learn

We have mostly prosected cadavers but they also have a few stations set up where you can do some dissecting and digging around yourself. I honestly prefer the prosected cadavers so I can see what I need to see and move on. Dissecting, especially when you don't really know what you're doing, takes forever and you only have a couple of real in lab hours per week.
I feel like that is a huge experience of going to medical school is dissecting your own cadaver, However I am not sure how much you would actually learn during a dissection since most of the time is spent being delicate and trying to find structures.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like that is a huge experience of going to medical school is dissecting your own cadaver, However I am not sure how much you would actually learn during a dissection since most of the time is spent being delicate and trying to find structures.

That was actually one of my concerns too. I want to specialize in Ortho and being able to feel and observe the anatomical structures when the body is still intact will be a prominent part of my education. I might be wrong so I would appreciate if any current medical student who also intend to specialize in Ortho weight in on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
That was actually one of my concerns too. I want to specialize in Ortho and being able to feel and observe the anatomical structures when the body is still intact will be a prominent part of my education. I might be wrong so I would appreciate if any current medical students who also intend to specialize in Ortho weight in on that.
+1

For those of you who already interviewed here during the morning session. What time were you finished ? I am planning to book a flight that leaves at 4:10 PM and was wondering if I'll have ample time to get to the airport right after. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it!

For those of you who already interviewed here during the morning session. What time were you finished ? I am planning to book a flight that leaves at 4:10 PM and was wondering if I'll have ample time to get to the airport right after. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it!

It ended around 1:30pm. During my interview it had been raining all day/weekend so they offered a shortened tour for those who were driving or trying to catch flights.

Reactions: 2 users
II!!! This morning!! The website is being weird so can’t schedule it yet

Edit: ended up having to call in, scheduled for 10/13, out of my mind excited.

I was complete 8/26

Last edited:
II!!! This morning!! The website is being weird so can’t schedule it yet

Edit: ended up having to call in, scheduled for 10/13, out of my mind excited.

I was complete 8/26

Congrats and good luck! The interview is pretty relaxed and the staff is nice

Congrats and good luck! The interview is pretty relaxed and the staff is nice

I’m so excited, now to book airfare and a hotel! I definitely want a day or two to visit after the interview.

II today, though I received a notification that the interview scheduling service was down, and hopefully back up tomorrow.

Last edited:
II, Complete 8/29. Excited for Nov 3! What does session 1 vs session 2 mean? Does it mean session 1 will be from 8-10:30 am and session 2 from 11am-1:30pm for interviews?

Congrats to everyone with recent IIs! Been complete since 8/18 so patiently waiting lol

Under application Status for LORs

Does it say complete like the rest of the docs or just has a check mark next to it?

Thanks in advance!

Where is a good area to stay in San Antonio? I’m renting a car so away from campus is fine.

Thanks in advance!

There's actually a Holiday Inn Express and a couple other hotels in the Brooks area that would only be minutes from the campus. You can find them online if you look for Brooks City Base.

Where is a good area to stay in San Antonio? I’m renting a car so away from campus is fine.

Thanks in advance!
I stay in an Airbnb 8 miles away from campus while I was there and had the most comfortable, affordable, and quiet stay. PM me if you are interested in knowing where's the place at!

Thanks in advance!
i stayed at a motel 6. Not my favorite but it was decent and really cheap. I think I got a deal though.

Seeing how 9/7 interviewees heard back within 10 days, hopefully us 9/15 people will have decisions soon...

Seeing how 9/7 interviewees heard back within 10 days, hopefully us 9/15 people will have decisions soon...

I kind of wish we hadn’t known that, because it’s been past 10 days and I’m constantly looking at my email and SDN :shrug:

Reactions: 4 users
I kind of wish we hadn’t known that, because it’s been past 10 days and I’m constantly looking at my email and SDN :shrug:
I'm pretty sure someone would've announced their acceptance. With that said, I think it is safe to assume that they have not started handing out acceptances yet. I have a feeling we'll hear back by the end of the week.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

I applied late in the cycle but finally got an II after being rejected last cycle. Really excited for this

Reactions: 1 users
My interview is coming up this weekend, and I am so excited! Any last minute tips or tricks?

How was the interview? I’m going in two weeks. Is there any 1 on 1 talking time or all MMI? I’m nervous that I’ll forget why I want to be a doctor:laugh:

I remember the Dean saying that it would be three weeks before we would hear back. I absolutely loved the school, so I'm praying for great news!

How was the interview? I’m going in two weeks. Is there any 1 on 1 talking time or all MMI? I’m nervous that I’ll forget why I want to be a doctor:laugh:
The interview was all MMI. There were quite a few kids there and no one on one time with the admissions people really. That being said, I really liked being able to talk to the students taking us around the campus as much as we did.