2018-2019 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think going to this school will limit us to mainly primary care residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think going to this school will limit us to mainly primary care residencies?
It’s all about how you do on boards, it may be an uphill battle but you won’t be limited to primary care if you put the work it.

It’s all about how you do on boards, it may be an uphill battle but you won’t be limited to primary care if you put the work it.

Good to know. The school has already made it clear during the interview that they treat you like adults which is reassuring to know that my success is 100% on me as it should be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else interviewing on 10/13 ?

Which email? Do they send another one after they schedule the interview
Yes they do send another email after the II. In my case, they sent me an email about 10 days prior to my interview date listing all the important last minute information regarding Logistics, the schedule for the day etc.. The parking pass was enclosed in that email. if they have not sent it to you yet and your interview date is looming closer, I would encourage you to reach out to let them know.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes they do send another email after the II. In my case, they sent me an email about 10 days prior to my interview date listing all the important last minute information regarding Logistics, the schedule for the day etc.. The parking pass was enclosed in that email. if they have not sent it to you yet and your interview date is looming closer, I would encourage you to reach out to let them know.

Thank you, if I don’t hear from them by the end of the week I will reach out but I’m still 12 days out.

Guys PLease, I have my interview on 10/19. I am so nervous can anyone give me any tips anything i should prepare for the interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys PLease, I have my interview on 10/19. I am so nervous can anyone give me any tips anything i should prepare for the interview
Just be open minded about stuff and be confident.

It's hard to prepare for MMI, some of the scenarios I got were completely different from some of my peers who interviewed here. Just make sure you can verbally reason through your answers, and made sure you actually answer the question presented with confidence and honesty. And don't forget to smile! You have ~ 8 minutes in each room. you don't have to stay in the room the whole time, but try to use as much of the time as possible to explain yourself thoroughly.

Reactions: 1 user
It's hard to prepare for MMI, some of the scenarios I got were completely different from some of my peers who interviewed here. Just make sure you can verbally reason through your answers, and made sure you actually answer the question presented with confidence and honesty. And don't forget to smile! You have ~ 8 minutes in each room. you don't have to stay in the room the whole time, but try to use as much of the time as possible to explain yourself thoroughly.
So what you are telling me, say I give an answer. There's no right or wrong answer. Just be able to explain it?
Based on what you are telling me did you have your interview already? IF you did do you know if you gotten an acceptance already?

So what you are telling me, say I give an answer. There's no right or wrong answer. Just be able to explain it?
Based on what you are telling me did you have your interview already? IF you did do you know if you gotten an acceptance already?

There’s no right or wrong, just be yourself. Unfortunately there’s no way of “BSing” your way through an MMI, and they use it because of that. Plus it’s a really good way of evaluating people who fit their mission, it’s a very fair system. I enjoyed my interview very much. Just have fun with it. And I was accepted

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oof! Well, if that means I am honest with myself. I could be accepted there. One last question, how long did it take from interview to acceptance ?
Ill keep the forum updated. Maybe some potential roommates if we all get accepted around the same time.

Oof! Well, if that means I am honest with myself. I could be accepted there. One last question, how long did it take from interview to acceptance ?
Ill keep the forum updated. Maybe some potential roommates if we all get accepted around the same time.

It seems to be anywhere from 10 days to 3 weeks, but I believe at the interview they say 3 weeks

Yes, basically! Just be sure to stray away from extremes. For example, if asked an ethically charged question, make sure you evaluate and reason through both sides! As long as you are able to communicate clearly you will be good! I agree with @Dogleash , there really is no way to BS your way through it haha just have to be yourself!

And yes, I did have my interview here 8/18 and have been accepted :)

Were there a mixture of ethical questions and then personal questions? Also what did y'all find was the best way to prepare for this interview? I have been watching a bunch of youtube videos but want to see what y'all found the most helpful! My interview is 11/3 :)

Were there a mixture of ethical questions and then personal questions? Also what did y'all find was the best way to prepare for this interview? I have been watching a bunch of youtube videos but want to see what y'all found the most helpful! My interview is 11/3 :)

We can’t really talk about the interviews but let me just say that there’s really no way of preparing for it. They can ask you anything basically. Just be confident in your answers and elaborate on your opinions. Have fun with it! I had a blast honestly, it was like no other interview I’ve ever experienced. It makes you think and consider different viewpoints. Keep an open mind, smile and be confident

We can’t really talk about the interviews but let me just say that there’s really no way of preparing for it. They can ask you anything basically. Just be confident in your answers and elaborate on your opinions. Have fun with it! I had a blast honestly, it was like no other interview I’ve ever experienced. It makes you think and consider different viewpoints. Keep an open mind, smile and be confident

Let me add that I didn’t prepare at all more than just learning about their mission beforehand, and I got accepted

Interviewing October 13th as well!! Average GPA and low MCAT. App completed Aug 10 and II offered Aug 24. Very excited and grateful for this opportunity.

Can anyone who has been accepted to another school and will ultimately choose UIWSOM over the others. What is the difference maker for you?

Was that secondary complete Aug 10 or primary?

What's your LizzyM if you don't mind sharing?
Interviewing October 13th as well!! Average GPA and low MCAT. App completed Aug 10 and II offered Aug 24. Very excited and grateful for this opportunity.

Was that secondary complete Aug 10 or primary?

What's your LizzyM if you don't mind sharing?

My primary was complete 8/14, secondary and app complete 8/26.. got my II on 9/24. I interview on 10/13 as well
My LM is low 60’s but I have ALOT of clinical experience and volunteering

Can anyone who has been accepted to another school and will ultimately choose UIWSOM over the others. What is the difference maker for you?
mine is mainly the location. I am from texas so it's only a few hours away from where i live. Also, most of the other schools I got accepted to were from rural area, so I like how San Antonio is a big city

I have canceled my interview spot and withdrew my application, best of luck to everyone else!

For those of you who have been accepted, around what time have acceptance letters been received?

For those of you who have been accepted, around what time have acceptance letters been received?
Mine came in mid afternoon, some have been later in previous cycles. Some late evening around 8:00

Getting anxious, are we? I'm in the same boat though. I've honestly been checking my email and this thread since Monday. Getting progressively more nervous. Haha

Getting anxious, are we? I'm in the same boat though. I've honestly been checking my email and this thread since Monday. Getting progressively more nervous. Haha

Haha seriously! Every day I think “today is the day”... and then it’s not lol. But today MUST BE THE DAY right?! :arghh:

Haha seriously! Every day I think “today is the day”... and then it’s not lol. But today MUST BE THE DAY right?! :arghh:

Well this will be the end of the 3rd week for those who interviewed on the 15th. I hope today is the day!

Well this will be the end of the 3rd week for those who interviewed on the 15th. I hope today is the day!

Today is indeed the day! Just got their email! Accepted!!!

Congrats everyone! And +1 on the acceptance! :soexcited:

I can't remember these information from my interview, so if anyone knows the answers please help lol.
1. How often do the students spend time with standardized patients and high fidelity patients?
2. For 3rd year, are the clinical sites all in one area or will we have to move around?

3. For current students: How do you feel about not doing the dissection in anatomy lab? Do you think it has hindered your learning in any way?
4. Research isn't big here, did they mention if there was any plan to grow that?

Thanks!

I can't remember these information from my interview, so if anyone knows the answers please help lol.
1. How often do the students spend time with standardized patients and high fidelity patients?
2. For 3rd year, are the clinical sites all in one area or will we have to move around?

3. For current students: How do you feel about not doing the dissection in anatomy lab? Do you think it has hindered your learning in any way?
4. Research isn't big here, did they mention if there was any plan to grow that?

Thanks!

. Cutting into cadaver tissue will always feel different than alive tissue and I don’t think it will benefit future surgeons as much as they think it will, but that’s just my opinion

Last edited:

Thanks!

I know they said standardized patients were used throughout the curriculum, but I don't remember if they said it was a weekly thing or what.

As for rotations they said that many were in the San antonio area, but they also had rotation sites in other areas of the state. I'm. Ot sure how they determine who goes where though.

I know they said standardized patients were used throughout the curriculum, but I don't remember if they said it was a weekly thing or what.

As for rotations they said that many were in the San antonio area, but they also had rotation sites in other areas of the state. I'm. Ot sure how they determine who goes where though.
random selection

Thanks!

Going to have to disagree with snowcrawler on this one . I've only dissected one cadaver, but between doing dissections and looking at prosections, I found the actual dissection to be much more useful . You have to find out where different fascia lie, feel for the insertion of muscles, and actually search for innervations. I find that the hands on approach, coupled with a small amount of educated guessing and faculty guidance, really helped me learn better. The prosections were nice, but it seems that the questions on practicals are never as clear cut as the prosections are. But that's just my two cents .

Also, with UIW's dedication to a self directed approach to learning, it's a bit of a bummer that we don't get to do more dissections. But hey, no school is perfect and it's got a while lot of other awesome things going for it already, being that it's so new and all.