2018-2019 University of Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone else having trouble with letters of recommendation? My letters were marked as received yesterday but the letters of rec page is still marked as incomplete and my app is marked as "Submitted Pending Review"

Members don't see this ad.

Would anyone with an MSAR subscription care to share the average MCAT and GPA for Utah? Thanks!

Would anyone with an MSAR subscription care to share the average MCAT and GPA for Utah? Thanks!
10th percentile: 506
25th percentile: 509
50th percentile: 514
75th percentile: 519
10th percentile: 521
GPA ranges from 3.40 to 3.98 with median of 3.81

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having trouble with letters of recommendation? My letters were marked as received yesterday but the letters of rec page is still marked as incomplete and my app is marked as "Submitted Pending Review"
did you pay yet? it says they won't be downloaded from AMCAS until payment is received.

did you pay yet? it says they won't be downloaded from AMCAS until payment is received.
It just got marked as complete today. Apparently it takes around 24 hours for the section to be marked as complete after the letters are marked as received

This is what their website says:
Does your school have rolling admissions?

We accept students throughout the application cycle. Final acceptances are sent out by March 15th.

Slightly unclear...sounds like a yes?

From what I remember last year, by March 1st, about 50% of the spots are filled. This is done on a rolling basis. From March 1 - March 15, they fill the remaining 50%. Also, they do not accept more students than the number of spots they have available.

For those curious about their breakdown for acceptances, they do somewhat of a point system. I can’t quite remember but it’s something like

1/3 GPA, MCAT
1/3 Interviews
1/3 LOR, Extracurriculars

Lemme know if you have any other questions!

Last edited:
Still waiting for a secondary app... Should I be getting worried?

Still waiting for a secondary app... Should I be getting worried?
I would give them a phone call. Had secondary within a week of verification. I doubt they'd hold it against you for wondering if you feel through the cracks. Worst case scenario is they tell you that you failed a pre-screen, which saves you anxiety.

For those interested, I called the admissions office regarding the fact that the activities section allows you to go over the 300 character limit. She said not to worry about it and that it isn't a strict cut-off.

Reactions: 1 user
Finally received a secondary! However, I am having trouble submitting my research experience. For some reason, the "save" and "cancel" buttons are absent in the window that prompts up for submission of our research activities. Has anyone else seen this? If so, how did you fix it?

Finally received a secondary! However, I am having trouble submitting my research experience. For some reason, the "save" and "cancel" buttons are absent in the window that prompts up for submission of our research activities. Has anyone else seen this? If so, how did you fix it?
If you zoom out to like 60% you should be able to see it! I had the same problem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Files under review a week ago. Hoping for an II!! Has anyone heard anything yet?

Files under review a week ago. Hoping for an II!! Has anyone heard anything yet?
Where do you see your "file is under review"? I personally never got a complete email but when I log in the portal I just see secondary (complete).

Where do you see your "file is under review"? I personally never got a complete email but when I log in the portal I just see secondary (complete).
I got an email that said something like my file is complete and is being reviewed.

Received an II this morning! Applied through EDP.

Reactions: 1 users
II this morning, IS applicant. I am not EDP and I submitted 7/19.

II just now! Can’t remember when I was submitted and everything. But my stats are in my signature.

II Yesterday! OOS, Alumna of University of Utah, not EDP

II today! So excited and first choice!!! IS, submitted 7/25, LizzyM ~64 I think? strong ties to the U

Last edited:
Is anyone who has received an interview here a re-applicant? Do any current students or re-applicants have any advice or knowledge to share about interview day and their experiences with the school?

Reactions: 1 users
Did you all just write a brief description of your role for the activities section, or did you try to include what you learned/how you grew from it too?

Did you all just write a brief description of your role for the activities section, or did you try to include what you learned/how you grew from it too?
I tried to do a bit of both, though with only 300 characters it came out to like, 3 sentences. One of my friends (ED) got an interview and she only wrote a description of responsibilities, without saying what she learned from the experience. So I'm not really sure what to do lol

In the meager 300 characters I just tried to summarize what I contributed to each of the groups that I worked with, and the unique perspectives I brought to my roles.

I tried to do a bit of both, though with only 300 characters it came out to like, 3 sentences. One of my friends (ED) got an interview and she only wrote a description of responsibilities, without saying what she learned from the experience. So I'm not really sure what to do lol

Ah gotcha. I guess we'll never know exactly how much it matters - I guess if they didn't blatantly specify how to do it, they can't blame us for how it's done. I'm trying to do a bit of both, like you said you did too, just to be safe. So like 2ish sentences description, 1ish sentence what I learned.

In the meager 300 characters I just tried to summarize what I contributed to each of the groups that I worked with, and the unique perspectives I brought to my roles.

Sounds good to me. Thanks for your input! I'll try to do the same (in such a small space!)

Is anyone who has received an interview here a re-applicant? Do any current students or re-applicants have any advice or knowledge to share about interview day and their experiences with the school?

Hello, I interviewed here, was accepted but chose to go to a different school. I’m from Utah tho. For the interview day, I’d say to just stay relaxed and calm. You’ll be with your interview group the whole day and everyone will kind of just be sizing each other up and so it’s important to relax and and not be too nervous. Like 80% of my group was made up of married white Mormon males.

As for the actual interviews itself, the big thing about MMI is not really about your actual opinions. They don’t care if you don’t want marijuana legalization or not. What they really want is for you to back up your opinion with strong points but also bring up concerns and address concerns from the other side. If you fail to talk about the other point of view and don’t discuss it thoroughly, your score will be negatively affected. Utah is a bit different, but just remember that in general, once you get the interview, the interview is basically all that matters. Past grades, scores don’t mean a thing once you get to the interview round.

The school itself is great. You definitely get the feeling that Utah is always trying to innovate and revamp the school. Pre clinical year is completely pass/fail which is awesome. When you’re interviewing at other schools, be aware of that. Schools don’t to ABC grades. They do a variation of honors, high pass, pass, fail.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello, I interviewed here, was accepted but chose to go to a different school. I’m from Utah tho. For the interview day, I’d say to just stay relaxed and calm. You’ll be with your interview group the whole day and everyone will kind of just be sizing each other up and so it’s important to relax and and not be too nervous. Like 80% of my group was made up of married white Mormon males.

As for the actual interviews itself, the big thing about MMI is not really about your actual opinions. They don’t care if you don’t want marijuana legalization or not. What they really want is for you to back up your opinion with strong points but also bring up concerns and address concerns from the other side. If you fail to talk about the other point of view and don’t discuss it thoroughly, your score will be negatively affected. Utah is a bit different, but just remember that in general, once you get the interview, the interview is basically all that matters. Past grades, scores don’t mean a thing once you get to the interview round.

The school itself is great. You definitely get the feeling that Utah is always trying to innovate and revamp the school. Pre clinical year is completely pass/fail which is awesome. When you’re interviewing at other schools, be aware of that. Schools don’t to ABC grades. They do a variation of honors, high pass, pass, fail.
Thank you for the information and advice! I will try to stay calm...makes it hard that it seems to all ride on the interview now though haha

Thank you for the information and advice! I will try to stay calm...makes it hard that it seems to all ride on the interview now though haha

Good luck! It’s honestly better this way. Like great grades and scores are important but who you are as a person is way more important. Just be open, honest, genuine, thoughtful, and everything will work out. II means that they just now want to evaluate your character because they believe you are more than qualified to succeed academically.

Good luck! It’s honestly better this way. Like great grades and scores are important but who you are as a person is way more important. Just be open, honest, genuine, thoughtful, and everything will work out. II means that they just now want to evaluate your character because they believe you are more than qualified to succeed academically.
Are MMI's more situation based or direct questions here?

I just got an invite to an assessment day? Is this an interview? There is like a video I have to watch

II just now. I remember the MMI structure last year was pretty easy going. Best thing you can do is get practice but it’s not that big of a deal. Biggest thing is to remember to be genuine. You don’t have long to explain your answer so to come across professional and personable is important.

I just got an invite to an assessment day? Is this an interview? There is like a video I have to watch
Assessment day is interview day, they also have a pre-assessment day video interview that takes the place of the 1on1 interviews they used to do on assessment day.

II came a few days ago. I'm interviewing in October. Have interviews started yet? I applied here last year and waited until the very end to find out I wasn't in. I'm hoping for an early acceptance this year!