2018-2019 University of Utah

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Dr.Lady123

Pre-Medical
    What day in October?! I'm October 1 :D I don't think they have started yet? But when I saw the dates offered there were some at the end of September so they are starting soon if they have not already

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dapperdoc

Pre-Medical
    They started last week on 9/7, I believe.

3. Pcskis

Medical Student
    They have, the first interview day I had the option of selecting was August 27 and they typically hold interviews on most Fridays and Mondays.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    dapperdoc likes this.
  4. Madinventor33

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    They start interviews on 8/27. With 8/27 and 9/7 typically reserved for the EDP applicants. They typically let 15-20% of interviewees know about acceptance before March and then the other ~80% know between March 1st and March 15th.

#104 Madinventor33, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  5. dr.soundsmith

Pre-Medical
    I'm not until the 19th.

6. Dr.Nursekat

Pre-Medical
    II here today! IS.
    Complete 7/19

7. ktmrider

II invite Today!
    10/22 OOS but Idaho

medical.balla and ivva5363 like this.
  8. bookdragon17

Good luck with interviews everyone! I got my acceptance today through the EDP and hope to see some of you next fall!

9. Pcskis

Medical Student
    I also received an acceptance through the EDP today! Extremely excited to begin this new journey!

#109 Pcskis, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  10. LiFre

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Accepted off EDP today!

11. Dr.Lady123

Pre-Medical
    Congratulations guys! You are making think I should have applied EDP :p Are you all in state? How were your interviews? Any advice? Also what are your stats?

#111 Dr.Lady123, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  12. bookdragon17

I don't really have anything to compare it to, but the interview wasn't nearly as stressful as I was expecting. Just relax and be genuine. :)

I'm an IS applicant, non-traditional student. 3.5 science and 3.71 cumulative; 507 MCAT (So, okay but not awesome, there). I do have a lot of prior healthcare experience as well as LOTS of service/leadership hours. The U definitely favors the holistic approach from what I have seen so stick to your strengths and speak from experience when you can. Best of luck!

Pcskis and Dr.Lady123 like this.
  13. Dr.Lady123

Pre-Medical
    Oh also, how were you notified of acceptance - email or phone call?

14. fattypanda94

Dr. Chan always makes the calls.

15. Pcskis

Medical Student
    Thanks! EDP is a great choice if you're an IS applicant, are a good fit with the U's mission, and the U is your first-choice school. The assessment day was laid-back, I would advise being as relaxed as possible without coming off as unprofessional-- the more nervous you come off as to your interviewers, the harder it is for them to get to know you. Stats are not a deal-breaker at this school (in my experience, I know a lot of people would say otherwise), my LizzyM score is ~65. However, I think that my interview, activities (Research, Shadowing, Patient Exposure, Volunteering, and Leadership), LORs, and Personal Statement/Activities write-ups were much more important in gaining admission than my MCAT and GPA.

Dr.Lady123 likes this.
  16. IdahoSpud

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    They interview 40, which is 4 people per available seat (10 seats for Idaho residents)

17. Flourboy23

Are interviews still being sent out? I haven’t heard anything on my secondary app since I submitted. When do they let you know if you don’t get an interview?

ivva5363 likes this.
  18. ivva5363

Pre-Medical
    When were you complete?

19. Flourboy23

My secondary was completed on Aug 24

20. LizzyBeth2282

Pre-Medical
    Commenting to follow thread

21. SidNixon

Yeah, I’m an Idaho resident and was complete 8/25 but no response from these guys yet. (LM 80 with pretty good extracurriculars, so I would hope I would at least get an II before getting an R...)

Flourboy23 likes this.
  22. ivva5363

Pre-Medical
    Congratulations! When was your secondary completed?

23. fattypanda94

Waiting on medical school interviews can be tough because they will literally keep sending interviews all the way through until the final acceptance date. I’ve gotten II in February and March. So if you haven’t heard back, you’re still being considered. I’ve been rejected pre II in October, and been rejected in March. So it really varies.

From my understanding, schools put applicants through multiple rounds pre II. They basically give you a grade. So for example round 1: 90% GPA and MCAT and 10% everything else. Round 2: 70/30. Round 3: 50/50. Round 4: 40/60. Round 5 : Get II. Rouns 6: Acceptance. The U does 30/70. In each round, the bottom will get rejected. The top will move on. The middle stay in the round. It’s dynamic, meaning depending on the strength of the pool in the round, you may stay, get rejected, or move on. Its important to remember that getting accepted is like a round. I was accepted to the U 2 weeks after I interviewed. Some people I know where accepted a month after, others in March.

CuriousMed and scribbles&rambles like this.
  24. Flourboy23

Thanks for the info! That clears up a lot of my questions. I thought it may be more dependent on when your secondary was submitted. So the U does 30% GPA/Mcat, and 70% activities/letters of rec?

25. fattypanda94

Submitting it early does matter because then you are looked at earlier on but then later on in the review process it doesn’t matter as much. For the grading of the interview, yes. 1/3 is gpa and MCAT, 1/3 is interview, 1/3 is extracurricular and letters. Also, they do give II priority depending on other factors like EDP, IS, U of U students I think tho I can’t be sure. Like it would make sense to interview EDP first you know? Because then you know that they’re locked in once accepted as opposed to waiting on someone for months for a decision.

26. ktmrider

Thanks. First half of August

27. Mochilazo

Anyone hear from dr. Chan today??

pickleballking likes this.
  28. pickleballking

You seem to be as eager to hear back from them as I am! I checked last years thread, and it seems like they came to the conclusion that acceptance phone calls were made on Wednesdays because the ADCOM met on Tuesdays. Totally grabbing at straws here, but that's the information I'm working with. Let me know if you hear anything differently!

29. riverrunner

I'm watching this one as well, and will post if I hear. Not me but a student I work with.

30. bblalakiddyjosh

I want to clarify what is going on in the admissions process here at the U. This is recited from what I heard recently, from Dr. Chan, at my II. As of 2019, your admission is a formula and is based on:
    1/3 MCAT/GPA
    1/3 Interview day
    1/3 Holistic review, which includes rec letters, and the rest of your application

powderseaker_26 and DrRainbow like this.
  31. Flourboy23

That’s for an acceptance correct? How do they evaluate applicants they want to send an II? Is it solely based off of gpa/mcat? Or do they consider activities/letters of rec when deciding which applicants to send II?

~ME~ likes this.
  32. mskm

II today

DrRainbow likes this.
  33. Shankaclause

II today! IS, LM 75

DrRainbow likes this.
  34. scribbles&rambles

Medical Student (Accepted)
    +2 on the II! IS, complete 8/22.

DrRainbow likes this.
  35. Purple squid

Can someone tell me more about the video interview? Like should we put on our suit for the interview?

36. pickleballking

I wore my suit, I felt like it was the right move. Boosted my confidence, and I think it is hard to overdress when it comes to these interviews, etc.

37. ktmrider

Has anyone that has had an interview this year care to share your thoughts about the interview day? I know the day format/schedule, but any advice about things you wish you'd done differently or tips for the interview would be helpful!

38. bblalakiddyjosh

From what I remember gpa/mcat and also a holistic review also influence an II.

Flourboy23 likes this.
  39. IdahoSpud

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I got a call from Dr. Chan today! Totally wasn't expecting anything because I was under the impression that they didn't notify people until much later in the cycle. Interviewed mid-September. Idaho Resident.

40. dapperdoc

Pre-Medical
    Congrats! That's awesome!

Any regular decision in-staters hear back yet?

41. cm58

Yes! Not me, but one of my friends got a call this morning from Dr. Chan. Not sure what her stats are or when she interviewed, although I know she interviewed sometime in September.

bookdragon17 and Dr.Lady123 like this.
  42. dapperdoc

Pre-Medical
    Awesome. I wish it was me getting the call though. Oh well. I'll have to be patient.

Dr.Lady123 likes this.
  43. Dr.Lady123

Pre-Medical
    AH this is so exciting! I didn't interview until October 1...hopefully I hear back soon??? IS, dream school!

44. Jay Dog

Accepted! Received a call from Dr. Chan on 10/18/18. In-State. Interviewed September 12th.

45. LiFre

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For those looking for interview advice, I recommend using this guy’s YouTube series. I had a good outcome from it :)

46. GiveMeThatMDplz

Any IIs this week? Complete 8/20, IS and thought I would hear back by now. Anyone else still waiting for an II?

~ME~ likes this.
  47. SidNixon

Crickets here as well.. Complete 8/23, Idaho resident. I would at least like a shot at an interview... :p

~ME~ likes this.
  48. Dr.Lady123

Pre-Medical
    I know that the matriculation rate is 25% post interview but does anyone know what the actual acceptance rate is since I'm assuming they will accept more than the actual number of seats since some people may go elsewhere?

49. fattypanda94

Last year, 173/4227 were accepted. 568 interviewed. 125 positions.

Dr.Lady123 likes this.
  50. FroYoOreo

Pre-Medical
    II! Complete 8/2