2018-2019 University of Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II came a few days ago. I'm interviewing in October. Have interviews started yet? I applied here last year and waited until the very end to find out I wasn't in. I'm hoping for an early acceptance this year!
What day in October?! I'm October 1 :D I don't think they have started yet? But when I saw the dates offered there were some at the end of September so they are starting soon if they have not already

Members don't see this ad.

II came a few days ago. I'm interviewing in October. Have interviews started yet? I applied here last year and waited until the very end to find out I wasn't in. I'm hoping for an early acceptance this year!
They started last week on 9/7, I believe.

They have, the first interview day I had the option of selecting was August 27 and they typically hold interviews on most Fridays and Mondays.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They start interviews on 8/27. With 8/27 and 9/7 typically reserved for the EDP applicants. They typically let 15-20% of interviewees know about acceptance before March and then the other ~80% know between March 1st and March 15th.

Last edited:
Good luck with interviews everyone! I got my acceptance today through the EDP and hope to see some of you next fall!

Reactions: 3 users
I also received an acceptance through the EDP today! Extremely excited to begin this new journey!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Accepted off EDP today!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations guys! You are making think I should have applied EDP :p Are you all in state? How were your interviews? Any advice? Also what are your stats?

Last edited:
Congratulations guys! You are making think I should have applied EDP :p Are you all in state? How were your interviews? Any advice? Also what are your stats?

I don't really have anything to compare it to, but the interview wasn't nearly as stressful as I was expecting. Just relax and be genuine. :)

I'm an IS applicant, non-traditional student. 3.5 science and 3.71 cumulative; 507 MCAT (So, okay but not awesome, there). I do have a lot of prior healthcare experience as well as LOTS of service/leadership hours. The U definitely favors the holistic approach from what I have seen so stick to your strengths and speak from experience when you can. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Oh also, how were you notified of acceptance - email or phone call?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! EDP is a great choice if you're an IS applicant, are a good fit with the U's mission, and the U is your first-choice school. The assessment day was laid-back, I would advise being as relaxed as possible without coming off as unprofessional-- the more nervous you come off as to your interviewers, the harder it is for them to get to know you. Stats are not a deal-breaker at this school (in my experience, I know a lot of people would say otherwise), my LizzyM score is ~65. However, I think that my interview, activities (Research, Shadowing, Patient Exposure, Volunteering, and Leadership), LORs, and Personal Statement/Activities write-ups were much more important in gaining admission than my MCAT and GPA.

Are interviews still being sent out? I haven’t heard anything on my secondary app since I submitted. When do they let you know if you don’t get an interview?

Are interviews still being sent out? I haven’t heard anything on my secondary app since I submitted. When do they let you know if you don’t get an interview?
When were you complete?

My secondary was completed on Aug 24
Yeah, I’m an Idaho resident and was complete 8/25 but no response from these guys yet. (LM 80 with pretty good extracurriculars, so I would hope I would at least get an II before getting an R...)

Waiting on medical school interviews can be tough because they will literally keep sending interviews all the way through until the final acceptance date. I’ve gotten II in February and March. So if you haven’t heard back, you’re still being considered. I’ve been rejected pre II in October, and been rejected in March. So it really varies.

From my understanding, schools put applicants through multiple rounds pre II. They basically give you a grade. So for example round 1: 90% GPA and MCAT and 10% everything else. Round 2: 70/30. Round 3: 50/50. Round 4: 40/60. Round 5 : Get II. Rouns 6: Acceptance. The U does 30/70. In each round, the bottom will get rejected. The top will move on. The middle stay in the round. It’s dynamic, meaning depending on the strength of the pool in the round, you may stay, get rejected, or move on. Its important to remember that getting accepted is like a round. I was accepted to the U 2 weeks after I interviewed. Some people I know where accepted a month after, others in March.

Waiting on medical school interviews can be tough because they will literally keep sending interviews all the way through until the final acceptance date. I’ve gotten II in February and March. So if you haven’t heard back, you’re still being considered. I’ve been rejected pre II in October, and been rejected in March. So it really varies.

From my understanding, schools put applicants through multiple rounds pre II. They basically give you a grade. So for example round 1: 90% GPA and MCAT and 10% everything else. Round 2: 70/30. Round 3: 50/50. Round 4: 40/60. Round 5 : Get II. Rouns 6: Acceptance. The U does 30/70. In each round, the bottom will get rejected. The top will move on. The middle stay in the round. It’s dynamic, meaning depending on the strength of the pool in the round, you may stay, get rejected, or move on. Its important to remember that getting accepted is like a round. I was accepted to the U 2 weeks after I interviewed. Some people I know where accepted a month after, others in March.
Thanks for the info! That clears up a lot of my questions. I thought it may be more dependent on when your secondary was submitted. So the U does 30% GPA/Mcat, and 70% activities/letters of rec?

Thanks for the info! That clears up a lot of my questions. I thought it may be more dependent on when your secondary was submitted. So the U does 30% GPA/Mcat, and 70% activities/letters of rec?

Submitting it early does matter because then you are looked at earlier on but then later on in the review process it doesn’t matter as much. For the grading of the interview, yes. 1/3 is gpa and MCAT, 1/3 is interview, 1/3 is extracurricular and letters. Also, they do give II priority depending on other factors like EDP, IS, U of U students I think tho I can’t be sure. Like it would make sense to interview EDP first you know? Because then you know that they’re locked in once accepted as opposed to waiting on someone for months for a decision.

Anyone hear from dr. Chan today??
You seem to be as eager to hear back from them as I am! I checked last years thread, and it seems like they came to the conclusion that acceptance phone calls were made on Wednesdays because the ADCOM met on Tuesdays. Totally grabbing at straws here, but that's the information I'm working with. Let me know if you hear anything differently!

I want to clarify what is going on in the admissions process here at the U. This is recited from what I heard recently, from Dr. Chan, at my II. As of 2019, your admission is a formula and is based on:
1/3 MCAT/GPA
1/3 Interview day
1/3 Holistic review, which includes rec letters, and the rest of your application

I want to clarify what is going on in the admissions process here at the U. This is recited from what I heard recently, from Dr. Chan, at my II. As of 2019, your admission is a formula and is based on:
1/3 MCAT/GPA
1/3 Interview day
1/3 Holistic review, which includes rec letters, and the rest of your application
That’s for an acceptance correct? How do they evaluate applicants they want to send an II? Is it solely based off of gpa/mcat? Or do they consider activities/letters of rec when deciding which applicants to send II?

Can someone tell me more about the video interview? Like should we put on our suit for the interview?

Can someone tell me more about the video interview? Like should we put on our suit for the interview?
I wore my suit, I felt like it was the right move. Boosted my confidence, and I think it is hard to overdress when it comes to these interviews, etc.

Has anyone that has had an interview this year care to share your thoughts about the interview day? I know the day format/schedule, but any advice about things you wish you'd done differently or tips for the interview would be helpful!

That’s for an acceptance correct? How do they evaluate applicants they want to send an II? Is it solely based off of gpa/mcat? Or do they consider activities/letters of rec when deciding which applicants to send II?

From what I remember gpa/mcat and also a holistic review also influence an II.

You seem to be as eager to hear back from them as I am! I checked last years thread, and it seems like they came to the conclusion that acceptance phone calls were made on Wednesdays because the ADCOM met on Tuesdays. Totally grabbing at straws here, but that's the information I'm working with. Let me know if you hear anything differently!

I got a call from Dr. Chan today! Totally wasn't expecting anything because I was under the impression that they didn't notify people until much later in the cycle. Interviewed mid-September. Idaho Resident.

Reactions: 4 users
I got a call from Dr. Chan today! Totally wasn't expecting anything because I was under the impression that they didn't notify people until much later in the cycle. Interviewed mid-September. Idaho Resident.
Congrats! That's awesome!

Any regular decision in-staters hear back yet?

Congrats! That's awesome!

Any regular decision in-staters hear back yet?
Yes! Not me, but one of my friends got a call this morning from Dr. Chan. Not sure what her stats are or when she interviewed, although I know she interviewed sometime in September.

Yes! Not me, but one of my friends got a call this morning from Dr. Chan. Not sure what her stats are or when she interviewed, although I know she interviewed sometime in September.
Awesome. I wish it was me getting the call though. Oh well. I'll have to be patient.

AH this is so exciting! I didn't interview until October 1...hopefully I hear back soon??? IS, dream school!

Accepted! Received a call from Dr. Chan on 10/18/18. In-State. Interviewed September 12th.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone that has had an interview this year care to share your thoughts about the interview day? I know the day format/schedule, but any advice about things you wish you'd done differently or tips for the interview would be helpful!

For those looking for interview advice, I recommend using this guy’s YouTube series. I had a good outcome from it :)

Any IIs this week? Complete 8/20, IS and thought I would hear back by now. Anyone else still waiting for an II?

Crickets here as well.. Complete 8/23, Idaho resident. I would at least like a shot at an interview... :p

I know that the matriculation rate is 25% post interview but does anyone know what the actual acceptance rate is since I'm assuming they will accept more than the actual number of seats since some people may go elsewhere?

I know that the matriculation rate is 25% post interview but does anyone know what the actual acceptance rate is since I'm assuming they will accept more than the actual number of seats since some people may go elsewhere?

Last year, 173/4227 were accepted. 568 interviewed. 125 positions.