2018-2019 University of Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted this morning, 9/14 interview.

For those that received strong interest emails, did you receive those after being put on the waitlist or is this your first communication from them?
first communication from them post-interview (other than the campus preference email)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who interview 11/14, anyone know when we should hear back, I forgot to ask >.< ?

For those that accepted have you received the link to pay the deposit? I was accepted last thursday and said yes to my spot and filled in the form but still havent gotten my ID to pay. I'm worried I'll lose my spot

For those that accepted have you received the link to pay the deposit? I was accepted last thursday and said yes to my spot and filled in the form but still havent gotten my ID to pay. I'm worried I'll lose my spot

I’m having the same issue...has anyone figured this out?

For those that have interviewed here, and for MMI's in general, are they looking for you to take a side in a scenario or rather, being able to present multiple sides of the argument without justifying why one argument might be stronger? In addition, any questions that aren't really scenarios (e.g. tell me about yourself, why medicine) for a station? Unlike traditional interviews where you're with one or two interviewers for an extended period of time talking, should candidates have questions prepared for MMI stations or is it mostly the interviewer posing questions beyond what's included in the scenario? Thanks in advance!

For those that have interviewed here, and for MMI's in general, are they looking for you to take a side in a scenario or rather, being able to present multiple sides of the argument without justifying why one argument might be stronger? In addition, any questions that aren't really scenarios (e.g. tell me about yourself, why medicine) for a station? Unlike traditional interviews where you're with one or two interviewers for an extended period of time talking, should candidates have questions prepared for MMI stations or is it mostly the interviewer posing questions beyond what's included in the scenario? Thanks in advance!
I don't think anyone can really comment as they have students sign a non-disclosure agreement before the interview day starts

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew my application. Good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 2 users
Rejected post II (11/13). My one II and I couldn’t even land an acceptance. My one shot...gosh aim pathetic. I honestly can’t continue going on like this. I think I’m done. To everyone still in the running, keep at it. I’m sure all will work out, it just won’t for me. <3

Rejected post II (11/13). My one II and I couldn’t even land an acceptance. My one shot...gosh aim pathetic. I honestly can’t continue going on like this. I think I’m done. To everyone still in the running, keep at it. I’m sure all will work out, it just won’t for me. <3
Hey friend, I know it's easier said than done, but keep your head up. If you received the II, you are definitely not "pathetic". Even though it didn't work out for you at this school, you'll eventually land somewhere. Good luck

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Foreverworthless, who's to say you won't get anymore interview invites? You cannot give up! Think of all the reasons you want to be a physician in the first place.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you mind me asking , what are your stats ?
Also - I know A LOT of people who don’t really have much going on yet . Schools are still interviewing . Some schools are still scheduling December !!! Don’t give up !!!

Hello friend,
I know it is tough but message me if you wanna talk about it. I landed 35 rejections last year and bunch more this year but that shouldn't effect what you think of yourself or your abilities and potentials. Everything happens for a reason and don't lose hope!!

Reactions: 6 users
Hang tough, I am a re-applicant this year. Didn't even get an interview last year, only have 2 this year with a whole hell of a lot of rejections. People are still getting invites and will continue to get invites into January. Hang in there!

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else complete early July and still waiting to hear back? Honestly just waiting for that R email any day now

Reactions: 7 users
It's not over until it's over. If you look at last years threads people still got II's in March

Don't give up! It's only December, you still have half of the interview season coming up! And if that doesn't work out, just try again next year. Don't let it get to you , believe me I understand but im going off of the whole everyone has their time so don't be so hard on yourself!

Any idea when people who interviewed Dec 1st might hear back?

Are you IS? If so, I'm pretty sure they're all hearing back sometime in December. If you're OOS, it might be a while. I interviewed in early October and I haven't heard anything

Your post has been eating at me for days now.

UVM is my only interview so far this application cycle. I cried tears of joy when I got the II. However, I'm fortunate enough to have an incredibly supportive partner who reminds me that admissions decisions do not make or break who I am as a person. Even so, it is scary and the rejections hurt. I expect that most, if not all, of us, pour ourselves into our work and so a rejection seems to be a rebuke.

Instead, I choose to see admissions decisions as a reflection of what the school needs to balance out the personalities in the class, not whether or not I'm academically worthy. Sure, the pre-II rejections are likely about academics/MCAT/letters of rec, but once I'm in the interview, I'm either the person they want or I'm not. I've worked decades to be who I am, as have you. I'm proud of who I am whether or not I'm fortunate enough to be granted admission, and I hope that you are, too.

Now, for the practical argument and action steps:

1. You could receive interviews elsewhere. It's not too late in the cycle. Check in with admissions offices to see if they accept letters of interest or intent. Those could help you land another interview and the key to your dreams. I was fortunate to shadow a doctor who graduated from Harvard. She was rejected by many other schools that were not as competitive.

2. Even if you don't receive interviews elsewhere, don't let that ruin your self-worth! If a date went poorly, would you feel viscerally broken and worthless? MMI's are like the world's scariest speed-dating game because the impact seems to be life-long. You still have a lifetime to have the date go well!

3. If you were rejected by all of your other schools, it's time to make a choice: Is this potential future of yours worth fighting for?

4a. If not, what is?

4b. If so, do you know what you need to do to fight effectively?

5. Fight for whatever future you want. Every career worth having is challenging in its own way. As a pre-med, the challenge is likely half the fun for you. Don't let what a committee trying to orchestrate the creation of an ideal incoming class decided upon kill your fighting spirit. You did beautifully if you made it to an interview.

Reactions: 30 users
Your post has been eating at me for days now.

UVM is my only interview so far this application cycle. I cried tears of joy when I got the II. However, I'm fortunate enough to have an incredibly supportive partner who reminds me that admissions decisions do not make or break who I am as a person. Even so, it is scary and the rejections hurt. I expect that most, if not all, of us, pour ourselves into our work and so a rejection seems to be a rebuke.

Instead, I choose to see admissions decisions as a reflection of what the school needs to balance out the personalities in the class, not whether or not I'm academically worthy. Sure, the pre-II rejections are likely about academics/MCAT/letters of rec, but once I'm in the interview, I'm either the person they want or I'm not. I've worked decades to be who I am, as have you. I'm proud of who I am whether or not I'm fortunate enough to be granted admission, and I hope that you are, too.

Now, for the practical argument and action steps:

1. You could receive interviews elsewhere. It's not too late in the cycle. Check in with admissions offices to see if they accept letters of interest or intent. Those could help you land another interview and the key to your dreams. I was fortunate to shadow a doctor who graduated from Harvard. She was rejected by many other schools that were not as competitive.

2. Even if you don't receive interviews elsewhere, don't let that ruin your self-worth! If a date went poorly, would you feel viscerally broken and worthless? MMI's are like the world's scariest speed-dating game because the impact seems to be life-long. You still have a lifetime to have the date go well!

3. If you were rejected by all of your other schools, it's time to make a choice: Is this potential future of yours worth fighting for?

4a. If not, what is?

4b. If so, do you know what you need to do to fight effectively?

5. Fight for whatever future you want. Every career worth having is challenging in its own way. As a pre-med, the challenge is likely half the fun for you. Don't let what a committee trying to orchestrate the creation of an ideal incoming class decided upon kill your fighting spirit. You did beautifully if you made it to an interview.
Probably one of the best written posts out here !!!! Thank you !!!!

You know... if you've not already... I think schools should send IIs and acceptances your way quickly.
From what I just read, you'd make a great physician!
Thank you! My dreams are riding on UVM. Do you mind sending UVM LCOM a note to that effect? ;)

So sorry to hear that:( That must be really hard and you need time to grieve. Just remember that this is in no way the end of the world and there are many more important things in life. If you truly want to be a doctor than you should try to remain positive and reapply next year. Best of luck to you!

The outpouring support I have received from all of you has floored me away. Thank you to each and every one of you. You are all wonderful individuals and it is people like you that medicine needs. I am sending all of you mystrongest wishes and support for you guys this cycle <3

Reactions: 10 users
Does anyone know if accepting a scholarship commits you to the school?

Does anyone know if accepting a scholarship commits you to the school?

Nope! The scholarship is attached to your acceptance, which you don't need to commit too until April 30. You can hold onto several acceptances and scholarships until that date. Grats!!! What was your award? I received one for ~60% of OOS tuition.

Nope! The scholarship is attached to your acceptance, which you don't need to commit too until April 30. You can hold onto several acceptances and scholarships until that date. Grats!!! What was your award? I received one for ~60% of OOS tuition.
Congratulations! How and when do you apply for scholarships?

phew thank you! Thats a relief. It says to respond as soon as possible though - did you just email back and say yes? I got 40k/yr so I think the same one.

Congratulations! How and when do you apply for scholarships?
Anyone thats accepted automatically is considered for one. I received my email about two weeks after acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew from the WL. Good luck to everyone accepted or still under consideration. Interviewed late August. Waitlisted early November. I look forward to having you as colleagues.

phew thank you! Thats a relief. It says to respond as soon as possible though - did you just email back and say yes? I got 40k/yr so I think the same one.

Anyone thats accepted automatically is considered for one. I received my email about two weeks after acceptance.

"How to Accept Your Scholarship
By confirming your place in the matriculating class with the Office of Medical Student Admissions, you indicate you have read and accepted the above terms."

That's what mine says so I assume it's just tied to attending and no extra action is required. I have a full-ride elsewhere, so I am not likely to take this offer (but you never know!) and didn't really research much past that. Good luck to whoever gets it! I was placed into the Vermont Clinical Campus if that's relevant.

edit: reread my email and it also has "If you wish to accept our offer of support, please respond to us via email at [email protected] as soon as possible." So I would do that if you are accepting it =)

Does anyone know if Vermont is receptive to ITA requests? Thank you.

What is the post Interview acceptance rate for this school?

I’m interviewing in January (I applied literally the first day of applications and submitted my secondary the instant it was sent to me this summer). It seems like a late interview invite—so they probably put my application behind many others.

I hear many people rejected and waitlisted post interview.

Basically, finances are tight. I got accepted into an osteopathic program.

3.98 GPA 507 MCAT

I feel like I’d be interviewing for a rejection or waitlist. Let me know if it’s worth it.

I’m interviewing in January (I applied literally the first day of applications and submitted my secondary the instant it was sent to me this summer). It seems like a late interview invite—so they probably put my application behind many others.

3.98 GPA 507 MCAT

I feel like I’d be interviewing for a rejection or waitlist. Let me know if it’s worth it.
According to last year's thread, plenty of people interviewing in January got in! I am also interviewing here in January, so maybe I'll see you there :)

3.98 GPA 507 MCAT

about 45% post interview OOS

Potgloblinsales10 go interview!

3.98 GPA 507 MCAT

I understand that money is a tough thing, but wouldn't you rather have that shot at an MD spot? It's too bad that DO schools extort such a sum from their prospective students.

I tend to be wary to the idea that people "interview for spots on the waitlist," but I don't have any real data for that notion.

II just now! 2 dates in January and 2 in February available

Does this school accept updates? Also, I'm assuming that this school does silent rejections?