2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long have you had that? I had that for about a day before I got an II.

When were you complete/ How long did it take to get this status? I feel like they're either super slow this year or they aren't going in order. Still have the sub committee will review status since mid july

I got it on Friday I think. Complete since 7/9. OOS LM 67-68.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
nope OOS, but last year I got my II in early/mid august and I was only complete a week after I was last year. Maybe they have a new system for sorting apps?

Maybe I'm not sure. VCU admissions usually visits my school in Sept I believe, so I can ask them!

I got it on Friday I think. Complete since 7/9. OOS LM 67-68.

I also I have this status, complete 7/25, Lizzy M ~69, IS. I'm not sure exactly when I got it, but it's definitely been a few days. I don't have a good feeling about it though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Been complete since 7/6 and STILL have "The Subcommittee will now do a review of your application"... Just wish I'd hear something at this point :unsure: Anyone else in the same boat? OOS applicant

Reactions: 4 users
Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

Is this a pre-II hold?

So if they do the file review and like you immediately, do those people get a new status for II invite? Or does this status come first for everyone before any II invite?

So if they do the file review and like you immediately, do those people get a new status for II invite? Or does this status come first for everyone before any II invite?
It has happened both ways this year - "Subcommittee will review.." to II, with or without an intermediate "Review complete.." status, which seems like a holding ground for potential II.

Anyone else receive this?/ are they rejecting people yet who have been interviewed?
The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date. We anticipate making offers around October 16, December 16, February 16, and March 16. If any of these dates fall on a weekend the offers will be made on the following Monday. Only offers of admission will be made on the dates above.

Your profile will remain on hold, and you will receive no further communication from us concerning your hold status. The next status change you will be contacted about will be to offer you a position in the class, to notify you that you have been placed on the alternate list (the alternate list is formulated in early-April), or to notify you that the Committee will no longer be considering your file.

Anyone else receive this?/ are they rejecting people yet who have been interviewed?
The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date. We anticipate making offers around October 16, December 16, February 16, and March 16. If any of these dates fall on a weekend the offers will be made on the following Monday. Only offers of admission will be made on the dates above.

Your profile will remain on hold, and you will receive no further communication from us concerning your hold status. The next status change you will be contacted about will be to offer you a position in the class, to notify you that you have been placed on the alternate list (the alternate list is formulated in early-April), or to notify you that the Committee will no longer be considering your file.

I got the same status (It changed to that about a week ago) I'm not 100% sure what it means, but what I gathered from the info session at the interview was that we wouldn't hear back until October 16th at the earliest with an acceptance, and that if we were rejected they would likely tell us whenever they make that decision, otherwise we'd be on the wait/alternate list in April. I think it just means that they might have made a decision on us but aren't sending out the results yet.

Long story short, I don't think this means anything other than they've reviewed our app/interview

If anyone else has thoughts on this feel free to say

It means you won’t know if you’re accepted until one of those four dates. You didn’t fail the interview so good job there
I got the same status (It changed to that about a week ago) I'm not 100% sure what it means, but what I gathered from the info session at the interview was that we wouldn't hear back until October 16th at the earliest with an acceptance, and that if we were rejected they would likely tell us whenever they make that decision, otherwise we'd be on the wait/alternate list in April. I think it just means that they might have made a decision on us but aren't sending out the results yet.

Long story short, I don't think this means anything other than they've reviewed our app/interview

If anyone else has thoughts on this feel free to say

Reactions: 1 users
any tips for the MMI interview at this school? any questions from the past years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates.

Is this a pre-II hold?
I had that for like 2 weeks before getting my II

This status was there for a while before my II

Edit: basically said the same thing twice lol

I'm interviewing here on 10/10. Will that put me in the 12/16 decision time slot or will I have to wait until after the holidays?

I also have this message. Is this kind of an all clear (no immediate rejection) and that there will probably be a waitlist/acceptance later? Did people last year get this kind of message? Maybe its a rejection to come later??
I'm wondering the same thing. I just want to know if it means I haven't been immediately rejected

Do you mind sharing what the schedule for the interview day was like?
We got there and had a little chat with one of the adcom members, went to the MMI session, had a panel Q&A session that was very relaxed, and then did lunch and tours with students

Ive had the

message for a really long time already, over a month actually. Do you think that’s a silent rejection?

Ive had the

message for a really long time already, over a month actually. Do you think that’s a silent rejection?
IS or OOS?

Ive had the

Complete date? My guess is it’s a temporary hold status

I’ve been complete since mid July and I still have the committee will do a review status so at least yours is a step up

I’ve been complete since mid July and I still have the committee will do a review status so at least yours is a step up
Completed 7/13...at least that’s when I had the “committee will do a review” message show up

+1, zombie

II today! Complete 7/11, reviewed yesterday, II today. OOS, stats in signature. Between July and now I've had the "committee will now review status"

I'm interviewing here on 10/10. Will that put me in the 12/16 decision time slot or will I have to wait until after the holidays?
If you interview on 10/10, your application will be reviewed and voted upon before the 10/16 offer date.

Reactions: 2 users
If you interview on 10/10, your application will be reviewed and voted upon before the 10/16 offer date.
Do you guys review apps in the order that they’re submitted/completed or is there some other way that it happens?

Do you guys review apps in the order that they’re submitted/completed or is there some other way that it happens?
No, applications are not strictly reviewed in order. Further, the farther applications get into the review process, the more out of sequence they get from their original receipt order. This is intentional and designed to streamline the highest priority applications for review. Other factors like residency status also play into when applications are reviewed relative to others.
The season is undoubtedly long, but the review process is ahead of schedule this year when compared to years past.

Last edited:
No, applications are not strictly reviewed in order. Further, the farther applications get into the review process, the more out of sequence they get from their original receipt order. This is intentional and designed to streamline the highest priority applications for review. Other factors like residency status also play into when applications are reviewed relative to others.
The season is undoubtedly long, but the review process is ahead of schedule this year when compared to years past.
Thanks for the reply! A couple of follow ups

How does vcu see reapplicants? Are they at a disadvantage especially if they made it to the waitlist stage in a previous cycle?

Also have OOS apps largely been looked at yet or is the review process still at the IS stage? What other factors are used to organize apps? I’m guessing stats and community service but are there other big ones?

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if VCU requires a graduate letter of enrollment or progress for students that have recently started a program? Some medical schools have emailed me asking for this although it wasn't on their LOR requirements page. I'm wondering whether it is implied to send one...

Whelp...Just got rejected pre-II. OOS 72 LM
Definitely dissapointing as this was one of my top 3 schools and the first news ive heard. Hoping this isnt indicative of how the cycle is going to pan out.

Definitely dissapointing as this was one of my top 3 schools and the first news ive heard. Hoping this isnt indicative of how the cycle is going to pan out.
Oh no :/ complete date? Dont worry about it, I am sure you will have success!

Sorry bud! You’ll hear some good news soon

Just received a file completion reminder email from VCU. Never recieved any other communication since my application was complete by AMCAS in late July. Checked all my junk and spam folders, logged onto the portal from last year using the 2019 application cycle and apparently I received one. I'm wondering if it's too late to send my supplemental in at this point? @Dean Mission

Just received a file completion reminder email from VCU. Never recieved any other communication since my application was complete by AMCAS in late July. Checked all my junk and spam folders, logged onto the portal from last year using the 2019 application cycle and apparently I received one. I'm wondering if it's too late to send my supplemental in at this point? @Dean Mission

If it is beyond 60 days, your time to complete your secondary application has expired. There are no exceptions to this deadline.

Thanks for the reply! A couple of follow ups

How does vcu see reapplicants? Are they at a disadvantage especially if they made it to the waitlist stage in a previous cycle?

Also have OOS apps largely been looked at yet or is the review process still at the IS stage? What other factors are used to organize apps? I’m guessing stats and community service but are there other big ones?

Reapplicants are seen as is any other applicant with no disadvantages except that they should have some progression of their activities since last time applied.

It is important to note, however, that the extent that an applicant progressed in one year does not indicate that they will get to that same level in a subsequent cycle; it is a different pool of applicants and different standards and procedures are in place from year to year. As is typical, VCU tweaks its selection procedure from year to year.

In state and out of state applicants are reviewed simultaneously, it is just that there are many many more out of state residents that apply.

Oh wow! I looked on the admission page. This is Dr. Baker? Didn't know admissions checked sdn :eek:

Oh I finally get how everyone else knows who he is. Well now I feel like an idiot

Oh I finally get how everyone else knows who he is. Well now I feel like an idiot

I didn't know this for sure either. But on that page, there is only one male adcom so perhaps that is him! Honestly, I really admire this school's transparency and willingness to answer so many questions even on SDN :nod:

Last edited:
I didn't know this for sure either. But on that page, there is only one male adcom so perhaps that is him! Honestly, I really admire this school's transparency and willingness to answer so many questions even on SDN :nod:
Oh no. It’s pretty much confirmed. We had this same discussion last cycle

Hey @Dean Mission I received an interview for December and had a question. Once I have reached the interview step, is it primarily performance during the interview that is used to determine acceptance? I would love to hear about what kind of competencies you all are looking for in particular if you wouldn't mind sharing in the ideal student.

Hey @Dean Mission I received an interview for December and had a question. Once I have reached the interview step, is it primarily performance during the interview that is used to determine acceptance? I would love to hear about what kind of competencies you all are looking for in particular if you wouldn't mind sharing in the ideal student.
VCU only interviews candidates that have the credentials to enter into their school. As a result, the interview process becomes the single greatest factor that determines selection committee scoring.

Hey guys,
Does anyone know how large the group is for interview day? I recently had my first med school interview and was surprised that there were over 40 other interviewees! Just trying to get a feel for what interview day will be like.
Also, I am a RVA local so feel free to shoot me a message with any questions about Richmond!

Hey guys,
Does anyone know how large the group is for interview day? I recently had my first med school interview and was surprised that there were over 40 other interviewees! Just trying to get a feel for what interview day will be like.
Also, I am a RVA local so feel free to shoot me a message with any questions about Richmond!
We had 18 I believe

Hey guys,
Dean Mission recently said 16 interviewees/day.

Virginia residents are preferentially given priority for application review early in the season. Out-of-state residents will start to receive interview invites in-earnest soon. Interview invites will be forthcoming, but offer dates will be on Oct 16, Dec 16, Feb 1, and Mar 1 this cycle.

Thank you for your transparency during the admissions cycle! Approximately how many acceptances will be offered during each offer date ? Also, is it true that the class size will decrease to ~180 students for the 2019 entering class ?

Hey guys, I received this message today about possibly being put on hold for grades or MCAT. However, my MCAT scores are all done and I never indicated on my AMCAS that I was taking new courses. I did however say on the supplemental that I started a new Masters this Fall. Does this mean VCU wants to wait until after those grades are in to review my application and notify me of II status?

The thing is I won't be getting those grades until end of December, since I just began my program :shrug: Curious if anyone else got this message first and what it meant. Thanks!

Did yours previously say "Subcommittee will review..."? If so, my portal underwent the same transition <24hours before I received an II, but my experience could be an anomaly because others have had the same change but it was seemingly meaningless.

Regardless, if your file was previously "complete", it seems that this status is an automated message and not actually indicative of a hold.