2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone complete early August gotten an II here? *Disclaimer* just being lazy and don't wanna go back and look

Members don't see this ad.

I mean accepted not matriculated. The numbers from US News someone posted somewhere
Maybe I don't get your question? If 180ish is their class size then they'll send out 45ish acceptances on each date and then the rest are from the WL

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I don't get your question? If 180ish is their class size then they'll send out 45ish acceptances on each date and then the rest are from the WL
Ah gotcha. Wasn't sure if they sent out more than the 180ish originally in case people go elsewhere but I got it. Thanks.

That's good planning on their part, and it also gives waitlisted candidates more hope :) Do you know what VCU's post-interview acceptance rate is?

Unfortunately no, but I think it is around 40~50% including movements from the waitlist, since ~650 people interview and class size is ~185.

Unfortunately no, but I think it is around 40~50% including movements from the waitlist, since ~650 people interview and class size is ~185.

So based on MSAR's IS data, 289 IS interviewed and 113 were accepted. That's a ~40%, but would it be higher? I originally thought it would be, since most schools accept more people than the class seats. But since VCU doesn't do that, I'm not sure anymore :shrug:

So based on MSAR's IS data, 289 IS interviewed and 113 were accepted. That's a ~40%, but would it be higher? I originally thought it would be, since most schools accept more people than the class seats. But since VCU doesn't do that, I'm not sure anymore :shrug:
They do lol you are just confusing yourself. Without using exact numbers they interview 600 accept 400 for a class of 200. But schools typically send out enough acceptances to fill their class size of 200 --- and then take the rest off of the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 user
113 Matriculated-- aka actually went. That is not how many were accepted.

They do lol you are just confusing yourself. Without using exact numbers they interview 600 accept 400 for a class of 200. But schools typically send out enough acceptances to fill their class size of 200 --- and then take the rest off of the waitlist.

ah that makes more sense, thanks for clarifying!

To all those speculating about how many applicants will be on the wait-list and the percentage that will receive offers, it should be noted that this year the AAMC has changed their policies regarding the sharing of applicant data amongst institutions. It is currently unclear how these changes will affect school decisions, but is it fairly certain that the biggest impact will be on the wait-list decisions later in the season. This means any historical data regarding wait-list activity is basically irrelevant, since it may not apply at all. To a certain extent, institutions are flying blind. This is not a VCU-specific issue; rather, this is a nation-wide issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
To all those speculating about how many applicants will be on the wait-list and the percentage that will receive offers, it should be noted that this year the AAMC has changed their policies regarding the sharing of applicant data amongst institutions. It is currently unclear how these changes will affect school decisions, but is it fairly certain that the biggest impact will be on the wait-list decisions later in the season. This means any historical data regarding wait-list activity is basically irrelevant, since it may not apply at all. To a certain extent, institutions are flying blind. This is not a VCU-specific issue; rather, this is a nation-wide issue.
@Dean Mission I have heard this change mentioned a number of times but still do not exactly understand. Can you explain what is changing? I know that no one knows exactly how things are going to go, but how do you all expect the changes to affect the waitlist?

@Dean Mission I have heard this change mentioned a number of times but still do not exactly understand. Can you explain what is changing? I know that no one knows exactly how things are going to go, but how do you all expect the changes to affect the waitlist?
The AAMC, because of anti-trust legal action, has disallowed member institutions from sharing certain applicant data. Specially, the JAR, or joint acceptance report, will no longer be available. This means schools will no longer know if or who has offers from other institutions. Such information is generally used by schools when deciding whether, or if, to make offers to specific applicants. For instance, a school in Virginia may decide not to make an offer to a California resident that has current offers from multiple schools in California, and instead fill that slot with a Maryland resident with no offers.

Schools assess the probabilities of acceptance by applicants, taking into account proximity, residency status, differences in tuition payments between institutions, and so forth.

Such information will no longer be available, and as you can imagine, it is difficult to know how this will all shake out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The AAMC, because of anti-trust legal action, has disallowed member institutions from sharing certain applicant data. Specially, the JAR, or joint acceptance report, will no longer be available. This means schools will no longer know if or who has offers from other institutions. Such information is generally used by schools when deciding whether, or if, to make offers to specific applicants. For instance, a school in Virginia may decide not to make an offer to a California resident that has current offers from multiple schools in California, and instead fill that slot with a Maryland resident with no offers.

Such information will no longer be available, and as you can imagine, it is difficult to know how this will all shake out.

Looks like applicants are at a larger disadvantage this year compared to last then :(

Looks like applicants are at a larger disadvantage this year compared to last then :(
Yes, but you can thank a scorned applicant who thought they should have received more offers for that...

Reactions: 7 users

Schools assess the probabilities of acceptance by applicants, taking into account proximity, residency status, differences in tuition payments between institutions, and so forth.

Would this not help applicants or am I thinking about this wrong? If a school looked at the report and saw that someone had another acceptance elsewhere and decided to not offer them an acceptance, that’s a disadvantage to the applicant right? Especially if the second school was their top choice. Now that schools can’t see if an applicant has an offer already, an acceptance is more based on whether the school actually likes them and wants them in their class rather than based on some assumption of whether they will or won’t attend by looking at some report

Of course it’s probably going to be chaos during waitlist times but before that, is it not beneficial for the applicant?

Reactions: 1 users
Would this not help applicants or am I thinking about this wrong? If a school looked at the report and saw that someone had another acceptance elsewhere and decided to not offer them an acceptance, that’s a disadvantage to the applicant right? Especially if the second school was their top choice. Now that schools can’t see if an applicant has an offer already, an acceptance is more based on whether the school actually likes them and wants them in their class rather than based on some assumption of whether they will or won’t attend by looking at some report

Of course it’s probably going to be chaos during waitlist times but before that, is it not beneficial for the applicant?

I feel like it could disadvantage applicants more than help them. For example, Applicant A has an acceptance to EVMS and waitlist at VCU...they may really like VCU more. Applicant B may only be on one waitlist at VCU. Let's say the waitlist is unranked, or the school likes both equally but can only choose one. In this case, knowing who has an acceptance would definitely help Applicant B get selected.

If I were Applicant A, I would be disappointed that I didn't get into VCU, but I would also be happy knowing that another person secured a chance to become a doctor. After all, I still have the EVMS acceptance right? So it's a win-win for both of us, because we both can become doctors. In the end, it only takes one acceptance. But the lack of JAR disadvantages people like Applicant B because schools won't know he wasn't accepted until he has to reapply :shrug:

Sorry if this has been answered.

Is VCU receptive to ITA requests?

I am coming from out of the country and saving money is nice.

Sorry if this has been answered.

Is VCU receptive to ITA requests?

I am coming from out of the country and saving money is nice.
It specifically states to not contact them about specific interview dates on the portal (if I remember correctly), so I would assume not.

I totally agree. I mean it definitely makes the adcoms job more difficult, but I think it makes the process fairer for applicants. I'm not sure I like the idea of schools deciding for me what school I'd rather attend...

@Dean Mission at another medical school my room mate interviewed at they said that this means communication between applicant and school is critical because of the change in information available. Do you think maybe this year you would accept more communication (update letters / letters of intent) later in the process? Reading old threads it seems that at some point update letters/ letters of intent were no longer considered ... I think maybe it was once the waitlist started? Would that be something that could change so that we can communicate our status better with you all.

I totally agree. I mean it definitely makes the adcoms job more difficult, but I think it makes the process fairer for applicants. I'm not sure I like the idea of schools deciding for me what school I'd rather attend...
Be careful what you wish for. Many very good applicants are likely to be passed over, since schools will assume they have an offer already. There are many untold consequences that will play out here, with good and fringe-level candidates being affected alike. I think it is universally agreed amongst schools that transparency and increased information sharing, rather than opacity, is what serves everybody's interests the best.

Be careful what you wish for. Many very good applicants are likely to be passed over, since schools will assume they have an offer already. There are many untold consequences that will play out here, with good and fringe-level candidates being affected alike. I think it is universally agreed amongst schools that transparency and increased information sharing, rather than opacity, is what serves everybody's interests the best.

Do you think (as an individual with years of experience in this and not as a representative of any particular school) that the most likely effects will happen post interview and not in deciding who to interview itself? In terms of who gets accepted, who gets waitlisted, and then the following waitlist -> acceptance procedures? Or is it likely that pretty much everything will be effected to some degree?

Maybe the solution here is for schools to stop assuming what applicants will or won’t do and just send out an acceptance if they really like them? Just a thought from an applicants pov. The fact that good applicants may be passed over cause someone assumes they got in elsewhere is shady and wrong

Last edited:
I agree with what you are saying Dean Mission. But I think that transparency should go both ways throughout the whole application process, not just post-interview. So far this application cycle, I feel like VCU is pretty decent at being clear and communicative. But for a lot of other schools, it feels like once they receive your secondary app and fee its complete silence. This is kind of tangential, but I feel like there should be a better portal system that allows you to track your application (has it been looked at yet/are you passed up for an interview/are you on a waitlist for an interview).

Reactions: 5 users
I agree with what you are saying Dean Mission. But I think that transparency should go both ways throughout the whole application process, not just post-interview. So far this application cycle, I feel like VCU is pretty decent at being clear and communicative. But for a lot of other schools, it feels like once they receive your secondary app and fee its complete silence. This is kind of tangential, but I feel like there should be a better portal system that allows you to track your application (has it been looked at yet/are you passed up for an interview/are you on a waitlist for an interview).
This is awesome in concept, but I think you're going to have to code that program yourself...there clearly isn't an affluence of applicant portal software.

just got an II - complete 7/30, lizzy M 75-76, available dates for interviews were in jan and feb. my portal updated to "review completed, if you get an interview youll get an update" or whatever like two days ago

II right now! OOS, complete 8/5 LM 70. My portal got the "review completed, if you get an interview you'll get an update" notice yesterday.

@Dean Mission could you give us a rough idea of how many interview slots are remaining?

II right now as well! OOS, got the "file review complete" message 3 days ago.
I just got the email that my status changed, and had to log on to see the interview message.

There was one date left in Jan, with the rest being Feb and after

So how do you think good, fringe-level, and below average applicants would be affected?

Not related to the new policy, but feeling vvvv bummed that interview slots are already filled up to February. Particularly as an IS applicant :(

Edit: feeling weird that I submitted my secondary in July and still haven't gotten a status change to "complete." Just want VCU to love and notice me, without sounding too desperate lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Not related to the new policy, but feeling vvvv bummed that interview slots are already filled up to February. Particularly as an IS applicant :(

Edit: feeling weird that I submitted my secondary in July and still haven't gotten a status change to "complete." Just want VCU to love and notice me, without sounding too desperate lol

What does your status currently say? I got my complete email the moment I submitted my secondary. Maybe this would be worth emailing about? Because it could be some other issue not related to your app

I feel like this year VCU is going pretty fast. I remember messaging an SDNer last year who said they were not complete at VCU until late November! But they still got an invite in January and then acceptance. Tbh, things can be unexpected sometimes so you might still hear good news!

What does your status currently say? I got my complete email the moment I submitted my secondary. Maybe this would be worth emailing about? Because it could be some other issue not related to your app

I feel like this year VCU is going pretty fast. I remember messaging an SDNer last year who said they were not complete at VCU until late November! But they still got an invite in January and then acceptance. Tbh, things can be unexpected sometimes so you might still hear good news!
I wish there was modern insight into how apps are being reviewed. Submitted mid July and still not under review yet

I really think trying to see how the new system plays out is going to screw more people than it helps, tbh. The idea from the old way with the transparent acceptance info was for AdComs to go "Well Person A got in to 3 schools, so this slot can go to Person B, who is similarly qualified but didn't get in anywhere and is therefore more likely to go HERE." And it worked because what AdComs assumed would happen is exactly what happened- A candidate with multiple offers would almost always go to the more prestigious school, and now the other schools that accepted that applicant were scrambling to fill the empty seat from the WL. It isn't helpful to them to pick someone from the WL if that person has 4 other offers and could go somewhere else, because then they are very likely to end up back in the same situation after THAT applicant picks a different school. It saves the AdComs time and resources to try to pick candidates that fit their school and are likely to pick their school.

And at the end of the day, the old system really did help get the most number of people into the most number of seats. One of the things people seem to be the most upset about so far is that the old system may have kept them out of their top choice favorite med school because they already had acceptance somewhere else, so their favorite school passed them over. But... isn't it more beneficial overall for two people to have acceptances to their second-choice schools than for one person to get their first-choice and the other person gets nothing? Getting people in seats gives you more doctors. You don't need to go to your favorite school to become a doctor, you need to go to a school.
People can gripe all day about how unfair it is for them to "choose for you" but that means you are being chosen, when other well-qualified candidates are not. The old list made it easier to spread out the acceptances to the most number of candidates so at the end you got the most number of doctors.

Daaanng they're already scheduling into February? I already felt bad about my chances but now I feel like they're non-existent lol

I really think trying to see how the new system plays out is going to screw more people than it helps, tbh. The idea from the old way with the transparent acceptance info was for AdComs to go "Well Person A got in to 3 schools, so this slot can go to Person B, who is similarly qualified but didn't get in anywhere and is therefore more likely to go HERE." And it worked because what AdComs assumed would happen is exactly what happened- A candidate with multiple offers would almost always go to the more prestigious school, and now the other schools that accepted that applicant were scrambling to fill the empty seat from the WL. It isn't helpful to them to pick someone from the WL if that person has 4 other offers and could go somewhere else, because then they are very likely to end up back in the same situation after THAT applicant picks a different school. It saves the AdComs time and resources to try to pick candidates that fit their school and are likely to pick their school.

And at the end of the day, the old system really did help get the most number of people into the most number of seats. One of the things people seem to be the most upset about so far is that the old system may have kept them out of their top choice favorite med school because they already had acceptance somewhere else, so their favorite school passed them over. But... isn't it more beneficial overall for two people to have acceptances to their second-choice schools than for one person to get their first-choice and the other person gets nothing? Getting people in seats gives you more doctors. You don't need to go to your favorite school to become a doctor, you need to go to a school.
People can gripe all day about how unfair it is for them to "choose for you" but that means you are being chosen, when other well-qualified candidates are not. The old list made it easier to spread out the acceptances to the most number of candidates so at the end you got the most number of doctors.

I totally get what you're saying, I do think the old way saved the adcoms lots of time and resources but I don't see how it was beneficial for the applicant. It may simply be a difference in ideology but I believe a highly qualified applicant earned the right to get multiple acceptances regardless. I mean the same number of people will get acceptances and eventually become doctors at the end of this cycle right? I'm thinking the WL situation will be more hectic, with much more movement at the end of the cycle, which will probably not be good. The person with multiple acceptances can only attend one school, so people on the WL will get off eventually.

I'm definitely not a highly qualified applicant and I'm fully expecting to only get one acceptance if that, so at the end of the day I really don't know how it will all shake out.

My thoughts exactly :unsure: I can't say I'm too happy with the change tbh, as I'm already a borderline candidate in terms of stats and don't have 3-5 IIs like a lot of people on here. Of course, I have my top choice schools...but at the end of it all, I just want to go to a school that will teach me how to become a good physician. The rest of it depends on me and how well I do in school. This new policy is probably great for high stat candidates who have multiple acceptances and can go to their top choice. But for average or borderline people with big dreams, it may not be. In any case, it's not in our control so we just have to go with it and hope everything works out!

II right now as well! OOS, got the "file review complete" message 3 days ago.
I just got the email that my status changed, and had to log on to see the interview message.

There was one date left in Jan, with the rest being Feb and after
Date complete?

People can gripe all day about how unfair it is for them to "choose for you" but that means you are being chosen, when other well-qualified candidates are not. The old list made it easier to spread out the acceptances to the most number of candidates so at the end you got the most number of doctors.[/QUOT

I get what your saying but part of this process is also supposed to be about choosing a schoolthat you are comfortable going to. At one of my interviews I felt interrogated about something personal and absolutely would not want to attend that school unless I didn’t get in anywhere else. While this obviously isn’t the case for everyone there are situations that arise that make an applicant not want to attend a school and they should be given the opportunity to attend another school if qualified without schools worrying about whether or not you will take the spot. Ultimately at the end of the crazy cycle all of the slots will be filled without forcing people to go somewhere based on policy.

I have had "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile." for about two months now.

I have had "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile." for about two months now.

Oh okay, I thought you meant it hadn't changed to this status yet. So your app is complete, but they haven't done the review yet. I think VCU doesn't review in order because other factors (IS, URM, high stats, etc) may push it forward in the process. But hopefully you will hear soon!

Same here :/

Anybody complete mid july and still not have the review complete message?