2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The portal says you may be put on hold. It doesn't say you have been put on hold.

What I'm saying is that you don't really have anything to worry about unless they actually do put the application on hold.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your transparency during the admissions cycle! Approximately how many acceptances will be offered during each offer date ? Also, is it true that the class size will decrease to ~180 students for the 2019 entering class ?
During the interview, the AdComs said that on each offer date they will admit approx. 25% of the number of students they plan to send acceptances to. So from what I understood, if they plan to send for example 400 acceptances, they'll send out 100 of those on each offer date, give or take.

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone who has interviewed for fmSTAT give any insight on the schedule for the day and any advice for the interview? Also does anyone have any advice for the MMI interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody receive interview invites and/or post-secondary rejections that are OOS and complete after early August? I know VCU does things a little differently for IS vs OOS when it comes to interview scheduling and reviewing applications.

OMG you guys, my first II invite! I actually teared up for this one a bit...VCU is def my top choice. I love this school, I've visited their med school and spoken to the Dean several times when they came to my campus. So welcoming and it's an amazing place to be :) I'm still in a bit of a shock, but feeling so grateful!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
OMG you guys, my first II invite! I actually teared up for this one a bit...VCU is my ultimate top choice. I love this school, I've visited their med school and spoken to the Dean many times when they came to my campus. So welcoming and it's an amazing place to be :) I'm still in a bit of a shock, but feeling so grateful!
congrats!! complete date? :)

OMG you guys, my first II invite! I actually teared up for this one a bit...VCU is my ultimate top choice. I love this school, I've visited their med school and spoken to the Dean many times when they came to my campus. So welcoming and it's an amazing place to be :) I'm still in a bit of a shock, but feeling so grateful!

Kill it!! You’ve got this

Reactions: 1 users
VCU only interviews candidates that have the credentials to enter into their school. As a result, the interview process becomes the single greatest factor that determines selection committee scoring.
Can you give any insight into how letters of recommendation factor into the selection committee scoring? I was invited for interview before one of my letters was sent in. That letter waswas s the day after my interview but hypothetically it could have been uploaded to AMCAS after your committee met to assign me a score, so I was just curious as to how letters are evaluated.

@Dean Mission I know offers will not be made until mid October, but are post-interview rejections sent out on a rolling basis? Or do they also get sent out the same day. Thank you!

@Dean Mission I know offers will not be made until mid October, but are post-interview rejections sent out on a rolling basis? Or do they also get sent out the same day. Thank you!
If they’re still doing the same things as last cycle, it looks like the only people who get post II rejections are those that failed the interivew and scored 4-5 on the committee review. Last cycle they were released around the same time as offers

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you give any insight into how letters of recommendation factor into the selection committee scoring? I was invited for interview before one of my letters was sent in. That letter waswas s the day after my interview but hypothetically it could have been uploaded to AMCAS after your committee met to assign me a score, so I was just curious as to how letters are evaluated.
VCU asks for three, which tells me you likely already had at least that many in your file. If it didn't arrive until after your interview invite, it was not considered.
Post interview rejections do not correspond with offer dates in any way.

Hey y'all! I got the following message on my portal two days ago:

Your profile has been screened by the committee.
You may email Dr. X or Dr. Y for information concerning your profile.

I emailed both individuals but have not heard back. Any idea what it might mean?

Thanks.

MD II just now. International LM 70.
@Dean Mission According to MSAR no internationals were invited to interview last year, can you please elaborate on if we are evaluated differently from US citizens after the interview? Thanks!

Hey y'all! I got the following message on my portal two days ago:

Your profile has been screened by the committee.
You may email Dr. X or Dr. Y for information concerning your profile.

I emailed both individuals but have not heard back. Any idea what it might mean?

Thanks.
Did you get an email along with the portal change?

II! LM 74 Complete like 7/5 (lol long wait) OOS. Scheduling into mid-January at the earliest

Thanks! earliest date is in mid-January

Wow. That's extremely disheartening. This is one of my top two choices and my file has already been reviewed and scored. I haven't been put on hold for grades even though I'm in a grad program that's similar to an SMP. Trying to stay optimistic, but it's getting a little difficult with how fast these dates are filling up.

Last edited:
RIP. Complete 7/11ish here. January?!?!?!

Lol +1 for mid July. Is there still hope? Doesn’t the interview season end in feb

Wow. That's extremely disheartening. This is one of my top two choices and my file has already been reviewed and scored. I haven't been put on hold for grades even though I'm in a grad program that's similar to an SMP. Trying to stay optimistic, but it's getting a little difficult with how fast these dates are filling up.

Don't lose hope guys! I'm pretty sure the interview season runs until March. I know several people from my school who have gained acceptance to VCU after interviewing late or being put on the waitlist. The biggest advice they tell me is to be yourself and let your passion shine through, instead of trying to fit certain expectations. I heard interviewing late does not hurt for VCU because they have an equal number of spots for each offer date. Also, if you read some of the posts from previous SDN VCU threads, you'll see many who interviewed later be outright accepted or come off the waitlist. Reading those posts gives me a lot of hope, so maybe it will be helpful to you too :)

Reactions: 3 users
Don't lose hope guys! I'm pretty sure the interview season runs until March. I know several people from my school who have gained acceptance to VCU after interviewing late or being put on the waitlist. The biggest advice they tell me is to be yourself and let your passion shine through, instead of trying to fit certain expectations. I heard interviewing late does not hurt for VCU because they have an equal number of spots for each offer date. Also, if you read some of the posts from previous SDN VCU threads, you'll see many who interviewed later be outright accepted or come off the waitlist. Reading those posts gives me a lot of hope, so maybe it will be helpful to you too :)

I appreciate the words of encouragement! Gives me a bit of hope back. Good luck with your interview! Hopefully, it'll work out for both of us and we'll be classmates next year!

Has anyone who has interviewed here sent a thank you note? I don't want to clutter up their already packed emails but also really enjoyed the interview day. Any opinions?

Has anyone who has interviewed here sent a thank you note? I don't want to clutter up their already packed emails but also really enjoyed the interview day. Any opinions?
I did! Just a quick little blurb.

MD II just now. International LM 70.
@Dean Mission According to MSAR no internationals were invited to interview last year, can you please elaborate on if we are evaluated differently from US citizens after the interview? Thanks!
VCU does not accept applicants that are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States. The only exception to that are Canadian citizens, who are treated as out-of-state residents. Note, however, that foreign nationals with Canadian permanent residency status do not qualify.

VCU does not accept applicants that are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States. The only exception to that are Canadian citizens, who are treated as out-of-state residents. Note, however, that foreign nationals with Canadian permanent residency status do not qualify.
Thank you for clearing that up!

Did anyone walk to their interview from the Hilton Garden Inn? I'm a little worried about rain in November

Did anyone walk to their interview from the Hilton Garden Inn? I'm a little worried about rain in November
It doesn't rain too much in November, but if it does, you can take the Pulse bus from the hotel two stops and it'll drop you off right outside the school (assuming you mean Hilton downtown, not Hilton Garden inn which is by the airport?).

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

Does VCU accept updates?

I believe their website says not to send anything unless admissions specifically asks for it. I heard that some people last year submit grade updates though!

Has anyone used or is planning to use the student host program for VCU's II day?

I should have been complete at this school at least a month earlier. I submitted the secondary, the letters, the casper results and all that. Yet I STILL have this message on my portal:

Your supplemental application has been received. Once your supplemental application fee is received and your recommendation letters are processed, your file will be complete.

I took an Uber/Lyft to my interview and it took me very close to the building. In addition, you could always take an umbrella if the forecast indicates it will rain.

I should have been complete at this school at least a month earlier. I submitted the secondary, the letters, the casper results and all that. Yet I STILL have this message on my portal:

Your supplemental application has been received. Once your supplemental application fee is received and your recommendation letters are processed, your file will be complete.

Have you tried contacting admissions? I'm sure they can help expedite it if all your materials have been submitted.

I took an Uber/Lyft to my interview and it took me very close to the building. In addition, you could always take an umbrella if the forecast indicates it will rain.

Have you tried contacting admissions? I'm sure they can help expedite it if all your materials have been submitted.
I did contact them a while back.. They didn't provide me with any information except details about the letters that they have received. I'll try contacting them tomorrow again.

Received an email saying there was a change in my portal but nothing has changed?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Was wondering the same thing since I just got an II too. I also heard that once you get the interview you've passed all the screens so your interview performance is the main factor for acceptance at this point, but it's all a holistic process. If VCU's IS yield is 50%, and 113 matriculated, then maybe 220 or so were accepted from the 290 who were interviewed (220/290*100 = 75%)? The yield could be higher for IS though, making it closer to 60% acceptance rate post-interview.

Hey did you already attend your II by any chance? Was curious whether the post II rate is still around 50-60% or if they mentioned any of this information during the II. Thanks!

It doesn't rain too much in November, but if it does, you can take the Pulse bus from the hotel two stops and it'll drop you off right outside the school (assuming you mean Hilton downtown, not Hilton Garden inn which is by the airport?).

I saw a Hilton shuttle drop someone off on the SOM campus this morning...It may be worth calling to ask if Hilton would shuttle you on interview day.

Last edited:
Assuming the 400 acceptance number is accurate, does VCU send around 100 acceptances for each of the 4 dates?

Was this before or after the II?
Whoops- I just double-checked the reply they sent me- they didn't tell me that it was added to my file, but did reply and say "thank you", so I'm not sure if they actually took it or not

Assuming the 400 acceptance number is accurate, does VCU send around 100 acceptances for each of the 4 dates?
No the 400 would be the total including those from the waitlist. Their class size is only a little under 200, so divide that by 4

Definitely my #1 school post-interview. Simply loved the school and the interview, not to mention the new medical school building with awesome design. From what I heard, they only give out enough acceptances to fill the slot (~185) until they finish all the interviews this cycle and only then they start to accept candidates from waitlist.

Definitely my #1 school post-interview. Simply loved the school and the interview, not to mention the new medical school building with awesome design. From what I heard, they only give out enough acceptances to fill the slot (~185) until they finish all the interviews this cycle and only then they start to accept candidates from waitlist.

That's good planning on their part, and it also gives waitlisted candidates more hope :) Do you know what VCU's post-interview acceptance rate is?