2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do y’all think these changes are affecting how fast schools are filling up II slots? Or does VCU typically fill up this fast? Just wondering because someone mentioned dates into February, and I have seen similar comments on other school’s threads

Members don't see this ad :)
Do y’all think these changes are affecting how fast schools are filling up II slots? Or does VCU typically fill up this fast? Just wondering because someone mentioned dates into February, and I have seen similar comments on other school’s threads
I wonder if it’s only a handful of schools that are doing this. There’s still plenty of schools that are still scheduling into October

Reactions: 1 user
Got an interview yesterday. Scheduled for 02/12/2019. Complete 09/08/18, Application was given complete status 09/21/18. Interview email 09/28/18.

Lizzy 66, IS, ORM.

got rejected today... but hadn't submitted the secondary yet ... confused
Kind of late to reply to this, but I received a rejection the day after I submitted my secondary, but that is kind of confusing as to why they would reject you before receiving your secondary. It makes me think they have some form of screening, although I imagine it happens after secondary submission, given what happened in my case. Hope you got/get invites from other schools!

Kind of late to reply to this, but I received a rejection the day after I submitted my secondary, but that is kind of confusing as to why they would reject you before receiving your secondary. It makes me think they have some form of screening, although I imagine it happens after secondary submission, given what happened in my case. Hope you got/get invites from other schools!

VCU has a secondary deadline of 60 days. I think that person went beyond 60 days, so the rejection was automatic because of that.

Congrats! I love how fast VCU is working with their reviews this year. Wish our other state schools would do the same...EVMS is taking their own time :rolleyes:

Not working fast for everyone. Complete early July and haven’t heard a thing.

Reactions: 5 users
Not working fast for everyone. Complete early July and haven’t heard a thing.

Ah I'm sorry :/ this process can feel really random sometimes, so you never know what good news can show up when!

Rejected today, secondary complete on 8/14. My stats were right in their range so this one stings a little bit, but I have 2 II's so can't be too mad! Best of luck to everyone :)

@Dean Mission

Do you know why interview slots are already filling up until February/March this year? Is this due to the recent changes, or is this common for VCU? It seems pretty early for a school to have given out almost all of the available spots. Do you happen to know the number of remaining slots available for interviews and does VCU plan on adding anymore slots?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected just now (on a Sunday night too!) :(

Good luck to everyone else this cycle !

I have a new status update in my portal, not sure when it changed: "Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

Considering how quickly the interview spots have filled up, I'm anticipating a rejection soon.

@Dean Mission

Do you know why interview slots are already filling up until February/March this year? Is this due to the recent changes, or is this common for VCU? It seems pretty early for a school to have given out almost all of the available spots. Do you happen to know the number of remaining slots available for interviews and does VCU plan on adding anymore slots?
This is fairly normal for VCU. Be aware, however, that slots will start to open up again as the season progresses, with invited applicants accepting offers from other institutions. This will cause a LOT of reshuffling of the deck.

It is true that VCU has intentionally moved the interview schedule up this year by a few weeks, to get the vast majority of interviews done before the New Year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
A little depressed I haven't been heard anything yet

So you get sent to waitlist purgatory forever?
For the most part yes. At least last year, you get a committee score between 1-5 and if you're 1-3 I think, you 'passed' the interview and your app was good enough with 1's getting auto acceptances I'm guessing. 4-5's are likely to be rejected from what last year's thread said. Either there's just not many people who fail the interview or just don't report it here. Most everyone else is on the WL unless they get acceptances

For the most part yes. At least last year, you get a committee score between 1-5 and if you're 1-3 I think, you 'passed' the interview and your app was good enough with 1's getting auto acceptances I'm guessing. 4-5's are likely to be rejected from what last year's thread said. Either there's just not many people who fail the interview or just don't report it here. Most everyone else is on the WL unless they get acceptances

:arghh: Kill me

@Dean Mission If we have been complete since the first week of July and still have the "the Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application" status, have we been overlooked? Just want to make sure there is nothing missing in my application that is stopping my app from being reviewed. Thanks for your help!

Reactions: 3 users
Do you get to know your committee score?

Do you know what the 'grading criteria' is for the committee score? Haha I love how 1 is the highest and 5 is the lowest :p a bit counterintuitive
I think dean mission said the interivew is worth the most but your final score is a combo of that and your app. I could be getting the numbers mixed up haha. It’s either above or below 3 lol

I wouldn't be surprised if the post-interview process changes somewhat this year.

But either way, helpful to know! Hoping for some OOS, neighboring state love from VCU!

I wouldn't be surprised if the post-interview process changes somewhat this year.
Ya me too. I think it’ll mostly affect waitlists though. I wonder if more people will be rejected this year (maybe a 3 may still be a fail) or they’ll just waitlist more people

Ya me too. I think it’ll mostly affect waitlists though. I wonder if more people will be rejected this year (maybe a 3 may still be a fail) or they’ll just waitlist more people
You know what though? It really doesn't matter. It will be something we will never know. I think sometimes we get caught up a little too much in the minutiae. VCU is looking for a certain type of student. If you are that student you will get in.

You know what though? It really doesn't matter. It will be something we will never know. I think sometimes we get caught up a little too much in the minutiae. VCU is looking for a certain type of student. If you are that student you will get in.
That is just so far out of control, I think it will be business as usual for them until the waitlist and then they will rely on us to update them and communicate with them.

That is just so far out of control, I think it will be business as usual for them until the waitlist and then they will rely on us to update them and communicate with them.
I don't think there's much communicating afterwards lol, at least not last year. They told us that they don't accept LOIs at all or updates past early march before the WL is made

@Dean Mission If we have been complete since the first week of July and still have the "the Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application" status, have we been overlooked? Just want to make sure there is nothing missing in my application that is stopping my app from being reviewed. Thanks for your help!
Interested in knowing this as well :)

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think there's much communicating afterwards lol, at least not last year. They told us that they don't accept LOIs at all or updates past early march before the WL is made
Yes but I think they are going to have to this year.

Yes but I think they are going to have to this year.
Why? The WL is rank ordered (supposedly) and the committee stops meeting early march so even if you send updates etc no one would look at them

Why? The WL is rank ordered (supposedly) and the committee stops meeting early march so even if you send updates etc no one would look at them
Im confused. The whole point of this discussion is that things are going to be different than they were last year. You just discounted my argument because of what they have done in the past. That is kind of the whole point -- things are going to be different this year. The whole ranking system is going to be different because of the AAMC not sharing acceptance data.

Im confused. The whole point of this discussion is that things are going to be different than they were last year. You just discounted my argument because of what they have done in the past. That is kind of the whole point -- things are going to be different this year. The whole ranking system is going to be different because of the AAMC not sharing acceptance data.
I guess we’re not on the same page. A lot of things are uncertain but I doubt adcoms are going to throw out everything that they’ve done cause of a few changes. The biggest change is that they can’t predict yield as well. The easiest way to fix this problem is to have a massive waitlist they can draw from to fill empty spots

The WL can still be ranked by committee score, there can just be a ton more people on the list compared to last year. I don’t get why ranking would have to be different

When your status changes, does that mean you are about to hear something? What's the relative timeline on this?

I guess we’re not on the same page. A lot of things are uncertain but I doubt adcoms are going to throw out everything that they’ve done cause of a few changes. The biggest change is that they can’t predict yield as well. The easiest way to fix this problem is to have a massive waitlist they can draw from to fill empty spots

The WL can still be ranked by committee score, there can just be a ton more people on the list compared to last year. I don’t get why ranking would have to be different
agreed we are on the same page now.

Did everyone get a “review is complete” message before recieving an II!

False (Dwight voice). The WL has a general order (let's say tiers - applicants are really comparable at that point), but they replace prospetive students that withdrawal acceptances with someone off the WL mirroring their stats/demographics.

False (Dwight voice). The WL has a general order (let's say tiers - applicants are really comparable at that point), but they replace prospetive students that withdrawal acceptances with someone off the WL mirroring their stats/demographics.
So it’s not a real rank ordered list?