2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Dean Mission If we have been complete since the first week of July and still have the "the Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application" status, have we been overlooked? Just want to make sure there is nothing missing in my application that is stopping my app from being reviewed. Thanks for your help!

To those claiming to have been done since first week of July:
Subcommittee reviews are done often. The queue for that is no more than 425 at that moment. Further, those that are in line for that review have only been there, at the longest, for about two weeks.

Check your portal. If your secondary application was full and complete before this date and your portal still says it is waiting for Subcommittee Review, then, and only then, should you PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Subcommittee reviews are done often. The queue for that is no more than 425 at that moment. Further, those that are in line for that review have only been there, at the longest, for about two weeks.

How does that work out? If we submitted in July in general, have our apps just not been in queue until now?

Reactions: 1 users

Check your portal. If your secondary application was full and complete before this date and your portal still says it is waiting for Subcommittee Review, then, and only then, should you PM me.
Does everybody get a notification once their app is reviewed? Or do some get reviewed but no correspondence because the committee may want to look at the app a bit more?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Dean Mission are all interview spots considered "equal"? Meaning are there are still equal slots to be considered even if we have an interview scheduled for feb?

@Dean Mission are all interview spots considered "equal"? Meaning are there are still equal slots to be considered even if we have an interview scheduled for feb?
Spots are specifically held for ALL interviewees, such that for each offer date, only about 25% of the class is filled.

I have had the "subcomittee will now review" message since the week of July 16th. I don't know if this constitutes me PMing you.

To clarify for those that are unclear about application processing:

A file review is the terminal review of your application where all of your credentials as an applicant will be considered as a whole. The best and most thorough look at your application will be at that stage, and it is when a score will be generated that is the basis for a potential interview offer.

Prior to that stage, such as at subcommittee, applications will be viewed and attain internal rankings that prioritize their future handling.

Me as well

Same here
I have had the "subcomittee will now review" message since the week of July 16th. I don't know if this constitutes me PMing you.
I think what he’s saying is that unless you submitted within the last two weeks, you’ve already passed the subcommittee review and got an internal ranking. Our portals just never updated to reflect that. I’m guessing they only update when you’re completely done being reviewed

So it’s more likely that all of us July people are in line for a full file review to get our final score based on our internal rankings

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you interview on 10/10, your application will be reviewed and voted upon before the 10/16 offer date.
Dean Mission - does this mean those of us who interview on 10/10 will have our decision (acceptance, rejection, or WL) on 10/16, or can the decision also be to hold off on making a decision until a later date? Thank you!

Dean Mission - does this mean those of us who interview on 10/10 will have our decision (acceptance, rejection, or WL) on 10/16, or can the decision also be to hold off on making a decision until a later date? Thank you!
At least last year, they told us they can accept you at any of the 4 dates. If your scores were amazing then you'll likely be accepted. If they were really bad (aka you failed the II or there's another reason they don't like you anymore), you'll be rejected. If you're in the middle then you'll most likely be in limbo or accepted. There were plenty of people last cycle who interviewed in oct but weren't accepted until march or ended up on the WL

They mentioned at the interview that you will hear back from them within 2 weeks of the interview.

I was literally marked complete yesterday and rejected today for MD/PhD. I feel like that means they didn't even look at it. I'm an eligible international with a 521 MCAT/3.75GPA, so I'm worried that I have some kind of red flag. Anyway, thanks for wasting my time and money, VCU.

I was literally marked complete yesterday and rejected today for MD/PhD. I feel like that means they didn't even look at it. I'm an eligible international with a 521 MCAT/3.75GPA, so I'm worried that I have some kind of red flag. Anyway, thanks for wasting my time and money, VCU.

I feel like that's a bit atypical for VCU...are you sure you fit all the eligibility criteria, service hours, etc? Perhaps it's different for MD/PhD or internationals? Anyway, sorry to hear that. I received something similar from GW (not rejected there, but they apparently reviewed my app overnight and put me on hold o_O) so I guess we never know.

Last edited:
I feel like that's a bit atypical for VCU...are you sure you fit all the eligibility criteria, service hours, etc? Perhaps it's different for MD/PhD or internationals? Anyway, sorry to hear that. I received something similar from GW (not rejected there, but they apparently reviewed my app overnight and put me on hold o_O) so I guess we never know.
Hmm, I saw that they ask for service hours, and while I have those, it's not that much. Maybe it's that? IME most MD/PhD programs are more chill about volunteering and want a focus on research. Maybe they also don't have the money for internationals and haven't updated MSAR/their site?
I dunno, mostly irritated because there are more fun things to blow 80 bucks on than a rejection screen :D

Anyway, good luck to you and everyone on here! *Alexa play 'I will survive'*

Hmm, I saw that they ask for service hours, and while I have those, it's not that much. Maybe it's that? IME most MD/PhD programs are more chill about volunteering and want a focus on research. Maybe they also don't have the money for internationals and haven't updated MSAR/their site?
I dunno, mostly irritated because there are more fun things to blow 80 bucks on than a rejection screen :D

Vcu seems to care a lot about community service. I wouldn’t be surprised if that carries over into the md/phd program too

Reactions: 2 users
Just placed on hold for a possible acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user

I think it could be related to service, since VCU values non-clinical and clinical volunteering for the community. Don't worry, you have such good stats and research experiences. Hope your other schools work out for you!

Looks like that's good news then? Since the message says 'hold for possible acceptance.' :)

Haha, yeah at the interview they said they'd clearly let us know if it was an outright rejection. If it says hold for acceptance it could mean accept or waitlist depending on how they have us ranked.

Dean Mission said in an earlier post that they don't accept international applicants except for canadians and us citizens so maybe this was the reason why?

How long did it take for you guys to hear back after the interview? I heard from the interview that it takes about 2 weeks but it's been more than 2 weeks of silence for me. Starting to get paranoid a little bit.

How long did it take for you guys to hear back after the interview? I heard from the interview that it takes about 2 weeks but it's been more than 2 weeks of silence for me. Starting to get paranoid a little bit.
Unless they changed it, all decisions will be released only on those 4 dates listed

Canadian here with my first R.

Overall GPA 3.62, MCAT 524, PhD Candidate, got the email Friday!! Good luck to you all

Traffic day is October 15th for regular decision applicants so you can't receive an acceptance prior that that date.

Traffic day is October 15th for regular decision applicants so you can't receive an acceptance prior that that date.

No I mean they update our portals after the interview whether it's a hold for later waitlist/acceptance or a flat rejection prior to October 15th. I heard this 'portal update' happens within two weeks after the interview, but it didn't happen for me yet and was wondering when other people received it.

No I mean they update our portals after the interview whether it's a hold for later waitlist/acceptance or a flat rejection prior to October 15th. I heard this 'portal update' happens within two weeks after the interview, but it didn't happen for me yet and was wondering when other people received it.

Mine took exactly 1 week to update from the date of the interview.

Oh gotcha didn't know that. They seem to be pretty on top of their rejection game though so I wouldn't take not having an update necessarily as a bad thing.

Oh gotcha didn't know that. They seem to be pretty on top of their rejection game though so I wouldn't take not having an update necessarily as a bad thing.

The way they said it made it seem like that they would respond quickly if they chose to reject.

MD/PhD applicant here, I have had the "Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates." status for almost 2 weeks now.

I don't know what to make of this? Not sure why they'd wait this long if they have already made a decision to reject me... Anyone else had this status for awhile? Did you end up getting an II or a R? :confused: I know I should just be patient... but its making me crazy lol

MD/PhD applicant here, I have had the "Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates." status for almost 2 weeks now.

I don't know what to make of this? Not sure why they'd wait this long if they have already made a decision to reject me... Anyone else had this status for awhile? Did you end up getting an II or a R? :confused: I know I should just be patient... but its making me crazy lol

I've had that for like a month now. It just means that your file review score isn't high enough to necessarily warrant an interview at the moment or that you're in line to receive an interview at some point in the future, but they aren't quite ready to send it to you yet. If they wanted to reject you they definitely would have already done so.

I've had that for like a month now. It just means that your file review score isn't high enough to necessarily warrant an interview at the moment or that you're in line to receive an interview at some point in the future, but they aren't quite ready to send it to you yet. If they wanted to reject you they definitely would have already done so.

That makes sense and is slightly reassuring lol, thanks for your input! Good luck to you and everyone else still waiting!

I got this same message and received an interview.

II just now via portal! Scheduled for February 27th. I am so happy right now, thank you med school powers that be!

They sending like 50ish acceptances next week? Wondering how many people they've interviewed so far :eyebrow:

II just now via portal! Scheduled for February 27th. I am so happy right now, thank you med school powers that be!

Damn at that rate they'll be done scheduling interviews by the end of the month