2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waiting patiently after interviewing. Really liked the school and the people seemed really down to earth yet very smart. I heard that, post interview, VCU usually keeps students on hold until the certain dates where some of the students are accepted. I also heard that they reject some people when they rank the applicants. How many people are usually flat out rejected after the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Waiting patiently after interviewing. Really liked the school and the people seemed really down to earth yet very smart. I heard that, post interview, VCU usually keeps students on hold until the certain dates where some of the students are accepted. I also heard that they reject some people when they rank the applicants. How many people are usually flat out rejected after the interview?

I don't think the past statistics are going to be indicative of how many people are going to be rejected and accepted this year. The new AMCAS acceptance report rules will have some effect but we don't know what that effect will be.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think the past statistics are going to be indicative of how many people are going to be rejected and accepted this year. The new AMCAS acceptance report rules will have some effect but we don't know what that effect will be.

Good point. It sounded like probably half of the class may come from waitlist spots since they aren't able to see the status of their applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good point. It sounded like probably half of the class may come from waitlist spots since they aren't able to see the status of their applicants.

Exactly. My feeling is that very few people got rejected immediately after the interview and everyone is just going to be put on the waitlist.

Exactly. My feeling is that very few people got rejected immediately after the interview and everyone is just going to be put on the waitlist.
Well that’s how it’s always been historically. I don’t see that changing even with the new rules

I'm guessing that this early on in the cycle they are hesitant to flat out reject people after the interview too. At this point they've interviewed around 250 students, and they'll probably accept 300+ when it's all said and done from the 650 interviewed.

Well that’s how it’s always been historically. I don’t see that changing even with the new rules

I think with the old rules it would be much more palatable to reject people quicker as soon as you saw where they were accepted to. Granted that might not occur until later in the cycle, but it would make sense that a school would want to accept those that had the highest chance of actually attending. With those old rules you could possibly see people getting rejected when they realized people had multiple acceptances over someone who had no acceptances.

Tomorrow's then I days. They accept on the 16th of each month :D

Reactions: 1 user
I think with the old rules it would be much more palatable to reject people quicker as soon as you saw where they were accepted to. Granted that might not occur until later in the cycle, but it would make sense that a school would want to accept those that had the highest chance of actually attending. With those old rules you could possibly see people getting rejected when they realized people had multiple acceptances over someone who had no acceptances.
Vcu rarely ever rejected anyone post II. You were usually only rejected if your committee score was super low (aka you sucked at your interview). I’m sure the way they accept people will change with the new rules but I doubt the way they reject people will change at all. If anything they’ll reject even less to make sure they’ll have enough people on the WL

Vcu rarely ever rejected anyone post II. You were usually only rejected if your committee score was super low (aka you sucked at your interview). I’m sure the way they accept people will change with the new rules but I doubt the way they reject people will change at all. If anything they’ll reject even less to make sure they’ll have enough people on the WL

That's pretty much exactly what I said earlier. However, I think the new rules will have more of an impact than you think it will.

That's pretty much exactly what I said earlier. However, I think the new rules will have more of an impact than you think it will.
I think the biggest thing will be a lot of WL movement really late in the cycle (May - July), which is unfortunate for average applicants who may be on multiple WLs late in the game.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the biggest thing will be a lot of WL movement really late in the cycle (May - July), which is unfortunate for average applicants who may be on multiple WLs late in the game.

Yeah that's what I'm really worried about.

anyone else get a hold status post-II tonight? Does this mean acceptance is still possible tomorrow? Or am I on hold until the next acceptance date in December?

anyone else get a hold status post-II tonight? Does this mean acceptance is still possible tomorrow? Or am I on hold until the next acceptance date in December?

Only way to know is to see if you get a change tomorrow.

I got one too! It means we "passed" the interview and didn't receive too low (or high in this case) of a priority rank. We have a chance tomorrow, yes.

So y'all think VCU always does portal updates at 6pm? (And thus I don't have an excuse to keep checking my email at work tomorrow?)

So y'all think VCU always does portal updates at 6pm? (And thus I don't have an excuse to keep checking my email at work tomorrow?)
I feel like they can update at any time but you only get the email notification at 6pm

What hold status are you talking about? Is it just this:

The Admissions Committee has met to discuss your file. Your application is being placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date. We anticipate making offers around October 16, December 16, February 16, and March 16. If any of these dates fall on a weekend the offers will be made on the following Monday. Only offers of admission will be made on the dates above.

Your profile will remain on hold, and you will receive no further communication from us concerning your hold status. The next status change you will be contacted about will be to offer you a position in the class, to notify you that you have been placed on the alternate list (the alternate list is formulated in early-April), or to notify you that the Committee will no longer be considering your file.

Please refrain from contacting the Admissions Office. We thank you for your interest in our school.

I think everyone gets this after they interview as long as they didn't do awful.

Only way to know is to see if you get a change tomorrow.

I agree with csg08 above. If I understood correctly at the interview, all applicants get this message after their file review is done if they are not rejected. It means you have been assigned an internal score (1-5) which is now static and won't change unless you have a massive update or something

I agree with csg08 above. If I understood correctly at the interview, all applicants get this message after their file review is done if they are not rejected. It means you have been assigned an internal score (1-5) which is now static and won't change unless you have a massive update or something

If you have that message I thought it meant you have a 1-3 because they implied 4 and 5 get rejected immediately.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes everyone with that message has a 1-3 with potential for acceptance tomorrow. 1 and 2 will be pretty much guarantee acceptance at some point, while 3 is "iffy"...let's hope we have 2 or lower! I'm pretty sure both the updates and the actual message happen between 6:00-6:10 PM. I checked my portal a few times today, and nothing showed up until 6:06 PM which is when the actual message was sent. I think they have it set to release at that time and no sooner.

Yes everyone with that message has a 1-3 with potential for acceptance tomorrow. 1 and 2 will be pretty much guarantee acceptance at some point, while 3 is "iffy"...let's hope we have 2 or lower! I'm pretty sure both the updates and the actual message happen between 6:00-6:10 PM. I checked my portal a few times today, and nothing showed up until 6:06 PM which is when the actual message was sent. I think they have it set to release at that time and no sooner.
I've had that message I posted earlier for weeks. Basically got it a week after I interviewed.

I've had that message I posted earlier for weeks. Basically got it a week after I interviewed.

Yes, they send that about a week after the interview date. I just interviewed a week ago so I just got mine.

Nothing yet on the portal, still that post-interview hold status

Reactions: 2 users
That is too many hours away
In last years thread seems like those accepted had new tabs in their portal after like 12:30pm ish so maybe not as much of a wait as you think

In last years thread seems like those accepted had new tabs in their portal after like 12:30pm ish so maybe not as much of a wait as you think

Now that's too much pressure :eek:

Just have to remember that this is the first release date! It's an honor having the chance to get in this early with such great applicants like you all! No matter what happens this cycle, I've grown a lot through this and have the utmost respect for all of you! Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Just have to remember that this is the first release date! It's an honor having the chance to get in this early with such great applicants like you all! No matter what happens this cycle, I've grown a lot through this and have the utmost respect for all of you! Good luck!
idk you but i love you man

Petition to give jpvn2015 an acceptance

So today we either get accepted, rejected or no response? It says we don't get waitlisted until April

So today we either get accepted, rejected or no response? It says we don't get waitlisted until April

I think it's accepted or no response. If they were going to reject you they had no reason to wait until now.

For ppl that get accepted if you guys wouldn't ,mind sharing stats and interview date please do so

Reactions: 2 users
In the past was it common practice for people to be accepted off the active pool after being passed over the first time?

Change on my portal. I now have a file status box that lists official transcripts, VCU information, and In-State Tuition eligibillity

Does everyone else have this new stuff in their portal like official transcript receipt/VCU account info/in state tuition eligiblity?

EDIT: other people are seeing it too

Here's a picture of what got added for anyone who is curious
upload_2018-10-16_9-39-41.png