2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed 11/13 and my portal just updated to "your application is being placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date." Even though I know the next acceptance date is Dec 16, I still got so excited when I saw the portal change email :/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 11/13 and my portal just updated to "your application is being placed on hold for possible acceptance at a later date." Even though I know the next acceptance date is Dec 16, I still got so excited when I saw the portal change email :/
Better than the other potential status - an R!

Reactions: 1 users
Just received that other potential status! October 31st interview crew. Rejected. Made it further in the process the 2017-2018 cycle so this result was a shock. Good luck to all of you still in the running!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received that other potential status! October 31st interview crew. Rejected. Made it further in the process the 2017-2018 cycle so this result was a shock. Good luck to all of you still in the running!

I didn’t realize rejections come out at any time. I thought they would come out Dec 16th as well. I guess that’s good then!

Yes. Yesterday Dr. Cook said they vote the monday after. Anyone with a 4 or 5 will automatically get the R and then a score of 1-3 those will be given the "on hold for possible acceptance.

Yes. Yesterday Dr. Cook said they vote the monday after. Anyone with a 4 or 5 will automatically get the R and then a score of 1-3 those will be given the "on hold for possible acceptance.
For the scoring would there be a possibility/likelihood to get an A on a later acceptance date (Dec/Feb/Mar) if you were skipped over on the first?

For the scoring would there be a possibility/likelihood to get an A on a later acceptance date (Dec/Feb/Mar) if you were skipped over on the first?

So I asked Dr. Cook something similar to that effect. She gave me a bit of the run around and said that they will score us at the committee review. (we are scored from these 30 people who vote from 1-5?) They will only give out 25% of acceptances at each date. But I am not sure if they then use demographics of race etc to figure that out as well. She said that the acceptance can come at any date depending on the class.

I hope that answers your question.

I am sure Dean Mission would be a good person to ask.

So I asked Dr. Cook something similar to that effect. She gave me a bit of the run around and said that they will score us at the committee review. (we are scored from these 30 people who vote from 1-5?) They will only give out 25% of acceptances at each date. But I am not sure if they then use demographics of race etc to figure that out as well. She said that the acceptance can come at any date depending on the class.

I hope that answers your question.

I am sure Dean Mission would be a good person to ask.
Last year they told us that the demographics part really comes into play during WL movement but I’m sure it’s a consideration during normal acceptances too

I know they score you based only on the interview, but do they score your application (gpa, mcat, lor, etc.) as well and combine it with your interview score?

I would assume they do. I forget which doctor it was but I assume it was the Dean Mission(the only male admissions officer in the office) but he says the vote privately from a scale of 1-5 and those with 4s and 5s are rejected and 1 - 3s are moved onto hold for possible acceptance.

I know they score you based only on the interview, but do they score your application (gpa, mcat, lor, etc.) as well and combine it with your interview score?
After the interview they review your entire application prior to voting. So it would seem like they do review all of your stats to combine with your interview score.

Anyone know if VCU drops the outliers from their overall assessment of the MMI?

They said they don't explicitly just drop any of the stations. But that if you did well on all of them one bad station wouldn't be a problem. If it makes you feel better I tanked one of the stations bad and still got accepted.

They said they don't explicitly just drop any of the stations. But that if you did well on all of them one bad station wouldn't be a problem. If it makes you feel better I tanked one of the stations bad and still got accepted.

How do you know you tanked it though? Like did you fail to answer the questions properly or blank out, etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you know you tanked it though? Like did you fail to answer the questions properly or blank out, etc?

Just felt my answer really wasn't good at all. Obviously I have no way of knowing how the interviewer actually interpreted and scored my answer.

@Dean Mission Do you know if VCU will be opening up any more II slots this month or after the new year? Asking for a friend! Thank you :)

Reactions: 3 users
Just to let everyone (who has an II already) know, there are more interview slots open on the portal if anyone needs to change dates! :)

@Dean Mission If I submitted my app in July and heard nothing from the school, does this mean I am silently rejected? Just curious if you guys send official rejections or no? Thanks!

Did anyone who sent in an update post II get a response?

Did anyone who sent in an update post II get a response?
Yes I sent it directly to Dr. Whitehurst-Cook the afternoon of my interview, and she responded that evening that she would add it to my file.

When do we get the post interview update to our portal or do we just wait till dec 16?

When do we get the post interview update to our portal or do we just wait till dec 16?
I thought it was supposed to be this week because Dr. Cook said we would be reviewed Monday so I'm hoping for today?

@catsandbio That is what I recall at the interview too. but i guess we will sit here twiddling our thumbs...

Yes I sent it directly to Dr. Whitehurst-Cook the afternoon of my interview, and she responded that evening that she would add it to my file.
That scares me bc I never got a response and too late to call now since they already discussed my file

Would you guys say there any point in sending in a post-II update right now if i already got the portal change for hold for possible acceptance (which I'm assuming means they already discussed my file)? I have a rather significant update concerning a job and some volunteering but not sure if it would be considered for the Dec 16th acceptance

@navdog9 I know that Dr.Cook said that anything sent this past monday would not be considered but used as an addendum for this Dec 16. But they would use it for Feb and Mar dates

It's getting kind of close to Dec 16th/ 17th! Is anyone else hoping for some good news from VCU after being passed over Oct 16th?

Reactions: 4 users
It's getting kind of close to Dec 16th/ 17th! Is anyone else hoping for some good news from VCU after being passed over Oct 16th?

Looking at past threads it seems like those who were passed up on the first round were more likely to hear back in Feb and March compared to December. Still hoping for some good news tho...who knows about this cycle lol

Reactions: 2 users
She is a doctor?
Good lord I called her by her first name. Omg lol. They still gave me an II though

Also--is there a way to find out updates about the host program? I interview next month and am hoping to not have to pay for a hotel/air bnb

Has anyone from the Nov. 29th interview received a portal status change yet? Mine changed immediately after completing my interview to "you completed the interview" but nothing else yet. There are only so many times one can click refresh before being driven to madness.

She is a doctor?
Good lord I called her by her first name. Omg lol. They still gave me an II though

Also--is there a way to find out updates about the host program? I interview next month and am hoping to not have to pay for a hotel/air bnb

lol she is the dean. Just call.

Has anyone from the Nov. 29th interview received a portal status change yet? Mine changed immediately after completing my interview to "you completed the interview" but nothing else yet. There are only so many times one can click refresh before being driven to madness.

No. I was on that date as well.

I was on that date as well an no portal change here, either :(

interviewing this week...low key sweating about it while trying to study for my finals :)

@blnk Literally 0 stress in the interview. just have fun. (not that it helps. But after your first one you realize how low-key it is.)

Reactions: 2 users
If I interviewed in September, never heard anything on October 15th, and sent a letter of intent involving my fiancee who was accepted on October 15th, then is there any chance of hearing a decision next week?

If I interviewed in September, never heard anything on October 15th, and sent a letter of intent involving my fiancee who was accepted on October 15th, then is there any chance of hearing a decision next week?
YAS; although, I asked Dr. Cook, who said letters of intent will be ineffective until at least March/April.

@TaakoFromTV It happened at 6 PM oct 16. So probably the same time if it's automated? fraccckk
The first portal change (tabs populating) was mentioned at 10:37am on 10/16 this year.

Also, why freak out all day Sunday and Monday when the portal clearly says to save your cortisol for Monday 12/17...

The first portal change (tabs populating) was mentioned at 10:37am on 10/16 this year.

Also, why freak out all day Sunday and Monday when the portal clearly says to save your cortisol for Monday 12/17...

What does it say on the portal?

I just have:

APPLICATION STATUS
You have a morning interview scheduled for 11/29/2018.

Your interview is now complete! The Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.