2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I got accepted to VCU last cycle and I'd love to connect with incoming students. Hit me up with any questions about the app process, VCU, Richmond, etc. that you might have! Good luck and congrats to everyone who was accepted last month!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, I got accepted to VCU last cycle and I'd love to connect with incoming students. Hit me up with any questions about the app process, VCU, Richmond, etc. that you might have! Good luck and congrats to everyone who was accepted last month!
Did you or do you know anyone in your class who interviewed before the first offer date (~ 16 OCT) and was accepted on the other offer dates (like 16 DEC)?

Did you or do you know anyone in your class who interviewed before the first offer date (~ 16 OCT) and was accepted on the other offer dates (like 16 DEC)?

I don't know anyone personally, but from what I remember on last year's thread, there were people who interviewed earlier in the cycle (Aug-Nov) who were passed up on the first two offer dates, but were later offered acceptances in the spring! (I can't remember the exact acceptance dates from last cycle)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No idea if you’d know this, I know @Dean Mission said earlier that those who interviewed on 10/10 would be evaluated by 10/16, but if you interview the week of December 10-14, will you be reviewed by December 16?

No idea if you’d know this, I know @Dean Mission said earlier that those who interviewed on 10/10 would be evaluated by 10/16, but if you interview the week of December 10-14, will you be reviewed by December 16?
I honestly don’t know the nitty gritty details like that! But from my personal experience, I interviewed a couple days (2-3 days) before an acceptance date and I wasn’t reviewed in time for that date. I was then reviewed for the next offer date after that.

Would anyone that has already interviewed be able to describe the interview day, like when interviews are (morning or afternoon), lunch, financial aid presentations, etc? Thank you guys!

MMI is the first thing that happens at around 9am. Then its a couple of M4's and adcoms talking to the group for a bit. Then lunch with current M2's and a tour of the hospital and surrounding area.

It's a little early for December 16, but does VCU call for acceptances or is it just a status change on the portal?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if we're allowed to take notes during the mmi?

I received an II today but the only dates offered have already passed (earlier November dates). Did anybody else have this issue? I have an email in but don't know when I will hear back.

I have had this status for about 20 months, is this normal? Is this a silent rejection or just waiting in some sort of backlog or on standby? Sorry if this has already been asked I see there are 24 pages!

status in portal: " Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."

I have had this status for about 20 months, is this normal? Is this a silent rejection or just waiting in some sort of backlog or on standby? Sorry if this has already been asked I see there are 24 pages!

status in portal: " Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal. Please do not call the Admissions Office requesting special dates."
If you've been in this cycle for 20 months I don't want to be the one to tell you this but there's no hope for you, my friend

Reactions: 10 users
Did anyone who sent an update via email get a reply?

I thought updates weren’t considered?

Reactions: 1 users
Plus if your file review is already complete, don’t they not do any Re reviews pre II? If so I don’t see what good an update would do in securing an II

Don't know where you got that information from. I asked them to add it to my file and re-expressed my desire in their MD program and a chance to get an interview, to which they responded what I pasted above.

Seems like they might, especially since their website also says "PLEASE NOTE: Feinberg downloads application materials on a weekly basis, typically on Mondays." So maybe they are also referring to added materials?

This is the VCU thread, not northwestern

Reactions: 4 users
If you've been in this cycle for 20 months I don't want to be the one to tell you this but there's no hope for you, my friend

Woops! That was a typo. I meant 2 months. I believe my secondary was submitted around end of July if I’m not mistaken. Maybe early August.

Dont know if this was already discussed but does VCU accept updates post interview?

@Dean Mission: Any word regarding in-state tuition eligibility forms? This section in my portal is still blank - Thanks

You have to call the VCU undergrad registrar for the forms. But its almost impossible to become an in-state resident in Virginia so I wouldn't count on this as a reliable option.

You have to call the VCU undergrad registrar for the forms. But its almost impossible to become an in-state resident in Virginia so I wouldn't count on this as a reliable option.
I am a resident of Virginia but I still need to fill this form. Have you had luck getting them from the registrar?

I am a resident of Virginia but I still need to fill this form. Have you had luck getting them from the registrar?

Oh then I don't know if you need a different form. I'm OOS so I needed a form to apply for IS eligibility.

Hey guys, after you interviewed, how long did it take for you to get the hold for acceptance/waitlist etc status? A few people in my cohort have gotten it a week after interviewing, but mine just still says “Congratulations for completing your interview, the admissions committee will now review your file”

It hasn’t been two weeks yet, but I thought they review everyone in a cohort together. Should I be worried?

Thanks!!

Same thing here! Does anyone know how long it takes them to update your portal after interviewing? How long until those who were accepted's portals updated? Normally wouldn't be concerned but I know personally others from my interview cohort have gotten portal changes for the hold for acceptance/waitlist. I interviewed early November! I guess what I'm asking is, is this an indirect R, or did my application somehow get put behind others in my interview group lol

Any insight you all could provide would be greatly appreciated! thank you

All the dates are filled and gone? Rip wonder if they’re done sending out IIs lol

Same thing here! Does anyone know how long it takes them to update your portal after interviewing? How long until those who were accepted's portals updated? Normally wouldn't be concerned but I know personally others from my interview cohort have gotten portal changes for the hold for acceptance/waitlist. I interviewed early November! I guess what I'm asking is, is this an indirect R, or did my application somehow get put behind others in my interview group lol

+1

At the interview they said that all the applicants are reviewed over the closest weekend and the committee votes on the file on the Monday after. It's possible that the portal simply hasn't updated. I know mine took about a week after the interview to update to the hold for possible acceptance status.

At the interview they said that all the applicants are reviewed over the closest weekend and the committee votes on the file on the Monday after. It's possible that the portal simply hasn't updated. I know mine took about a week after the interview to update to the hold for possible acceptance status.

Interviewed 10/30, no portal update. Based on past, am I heading for a reject?

Complete mid-Sept but my file hasn't been reviewed yet. Is this happening to anyone else?

TL;DR for this thread: overthinking the portal correlates strongly with neuroticism (R^2 = 0.99; undercovernerd et al., 2018). The road to doctor-hood is a metric $#I+ ton of anxious waiting (MCAT scores, medapp, STEP scores x3, residency interviews & match, fellowships, etc.), so implement some coping mechanisms before y'all have a heart attack.

Those that also interviewed recently, they said on 11/13 that conferences and holidays precluded a few recent Monday AdCom meetings. We won't get any absolute news for 2.5 weeks anyways so save the stressing for December 16th (which is a Sunday so maybe 12/17, even?). However, I think we can potentially expect a post-interview portal update this Thursday.

Any tips for the interview? I have mine tomorrow morning and I've been preparing for the past week but I'm starting to feel extremely anxious as it's my only invite so far (don't want to f up lol)

Any tips for the interview? I have mine tomorrow morning and I've been preparing for the past week but I'm starting to feel extremely anxious as it's my only invite so far (don't want to f up lol)

"Be yourself" is all anyone ever tells me.Worst best advice ever. lol

Think through different options before responding to mmi question. Without success here, don't know for sure.

when vcu sends out an email to all upcoming interviewees but doesn't bcc everyone's emails...

Reactions: 6 users
can you share some interview tips or how you prepared for it

Sure. It is similiar to other MMIs. Just a bunch of stations. As it states in the VCU portal. The first question is the traditional question and is the longest. The rest of the stations are the various scenarios.

I would suggest practicing with other people. I asked my mentors a PI to practice with me for a couple hours and some fellow premeds that I work with. We simply bounced the questions off each other under a timed scenario.

I restated the facts. Laid what the issue or question was. Then put my thoughts on what my answer should be.

Make sure you leave some time maybe 3-5 minutes to finish. Each person asks follow up questions so try to make it a conversation. As long as you're not a hermit it should be pretty seamless and they are just testing your bedside manner.

All in all not at all stressful after my practice. And Dr. Cook says they are not trying to make you stressed. Definitely the stress was palpable with everyone before it started but afterwards it went very seamlessly. The only problem was how looooong it was.

Good luck and I hope we can all be colleagues next year!

Reactions: 4 users