2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an II!!! IS, Complete 7/5, LM 67-70
Congrats!!! Did you have the "Your file review is now complete" notification before you got the interview? or did you still have the "Your file will now be sent to the subcommittee for review"?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!!! Did you have the "Your file review is now complete" notification before you got the interview? or did you still have the "Your file will now be sent to the subcommittee for review"?

I've been wondering the same thing about people that got IIs.

my file is still under review, but it seems like the "file review is now complete" is like a hold message?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
my file is still under review, but it seems like the "file review is now complete" is like a hold message?
I'm hoping still being "under review" is indicative of being more thoroughly evaluated (i.e. passed baseline post-secondary screens, time for Sub-Committee to actually read your full packet) for an earlier II, as opposed to "review complete" indicating a deferral for this initial II wave but potentially competitive for a later II.

Or maybe this is just me over-rationalizing being IS, complete 7/7, still under review.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an II!!! IS, Complete 7/5, LM 67-70

Congratulations!! That's so exciting (mildly jealous because VCU is one of my top choices ;)). Are you by any chance fmSTAT? Just trying to gauge if they have been sending out IIs for regular MD as well.

Thanks! I had the "Your file will now be sent to the subcommittee for review" right up until I got the II

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations!! That's so exciting (mildly jealous because VCU is one of my top choices ;)). Are you by any chance fmSTAT? Just trying to gauge if they have been sending out IIs for regular MD as well.
Thanks, mine too! I'm regular MD

Thanks! I had the "Your file will now be sent to the subcommittee for review" right up until I got the II
Congrats! I’ve had that message for a while, hoping there is still hope!

They are being sent out. There are certain programs that will interview earlier, and preference for Virginia residents is also in-play early.

Hi Dean Mission! Do you have any knowledge about how early decision applications factor in for IIs?

Just scheduled my interview date through email.
My portal is still saying "my file is under review" though.

Last edited:
II!!! IS 3.93/514. Had been on "your review has been complete" for about 2 weeks now

Reactions: 6 users
II!!! IS 3.93/514. Had been on "your review has been complete" for about 2 weeks now

Care to give more details? With your post and the other guy I replied to above you, I’m even more confused

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Dean Mission! Do you have any knowledge about how early decision applications factor in for IIs?.
Early decisions come on October 1st if memory serves me, so anybody going that route would have to interview in August or September.

Status changed to Interview received.
Interviewing in 2 weeks
OOS 3.93+ GPA, 509 MCAT

Anyone still waiting for a secondary?

Just FYI guys, VCU heavily focuses on community service. They clearly distinguish between clinical volunteering and non-clinical volunteering hours. I guess this is probably why those with high GPA and MCAT scores were rejected so early. They require sort of a minimum cut-off hours for non-clinical volunteering hours.

Just FYI guys, VCU heavily focuses on community service. They clearly distinguish between clinical volunteering and non-clinical volunteering hours. I guess this is probably why those with high GPA and MCAT scores were rejected so early. They require sort of a minimum cut-off hours for non-clinical volunteering hours.

Do you know what those cutoff hours are for each?

Ah man. I have a decent number of clinical volunteering (250 ish) but not really any non-clinical that I listed. A lot of the non-clinical stuff I have done is just a day or so and I didn't think it was worth including (maybe bring up at interview if needed).

I feel that I am a good fit for them otherwise, above their average for GPA and MCAT, in state, etc.

Completed July 14th, no message change. Guess I will just have to wait and hope!

Ah man. I have a decent number of clinical volunteering (250 ish) but not really any non-clinical that I listed. A lot of the non-clinical stuff I have done is just a day or so and I didn't think it was worth including (maybe bring up at interview if needed).

I feel that I am a good fit for them otherwise, above their average for GPA and MCAT, in state, etc.

Completed July 14th, no message change. Guess I will just have to wait and hope!

They also really care about whether you fit their mission, not just outpacing the stats :) someone on their adcom noted if they were given the choice between someone who is very kind and had ok stats, and someone who is more cold and higher stats, they'd choose kindness. Definitely do research into their mission prior to an interview!

Care to give more details? With your post and the other guy I replied to above you, I’m even more confused
I have strong non-clinical volunteering experience (more than 2000 hours) and decent-ish clinical exposure. Very limited research though, which I thought was going to be a big problem.

They also really care about whether you fit their mission, not just outpacing the stats :) someone on their adcom noted if they were given the choice between someone who is very kind and had ok stats, and someone who is more cold and higher stats, they'd choose kindness. Definitely do research into their mission prior to an interview!

How do they discern kindness before an interview haha. I don’t think most applicants show a lack of kindness in their apps.

How do they discern kindness before an interview haha. I don’t think most applicants show a lack of kindness in their apps.

This was in the context of admissions decisions, just advice for things for you to highlight if you get an II! Best of luck!

I just got an email saying they want to talk to me about an interview with a phone number to call. Is that an official II or some kind of pre-interview screening thing?

I just got an email saying they want to talk to me about an interview with a phone number to call. Is that an official II or some kind of pre-interview screening thing?
It seems odd that they wouldn't just email you the invitation direct. Has your portal changed? Regardless, I definitely think that would be good news.

It seems odd that they wouldn't just email you the invitation direct. Has your portal changed? Regardless, I definitely think that would be good news.
Yeah I thought it was a little odd. Maybe it's because I applied to the fmStat program. No the portal is still the same.

Been under review/complete since 7/10 with no update is this a bad thing?

Completed 7/6 or 7/7 (can't remember off hand) and still nothing...hoping that is a good sign?

Hoping a big wave of II’s coming soon...

Reactions: 5 users
II just now! My first one and I'm so pumped! IS, 3.96 GPA, 511 MCAT, complete 7/23