2018-2019 Virginia Commonwealth University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's most likely your gpa. Grad school gpa don't count for med schools and I'm pretty sure this school has a cutoff around 3.5 but I could be wrong. Good luck in the rest of the cycle though!

But doesn't her 4.0 post-bacc make up for it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
First rejection from VCU today too. So bummed. And it came less than 24 hours after submitting my secondary which is really scary...wondering what the glaring red flag is I need to address. Non-trad, ug gpa 3.38, grad 3.74, pre-med post-bacc 4.0, mcat 512, in state. Good luck to those still in the running here!

How were your ECs like? I don't think stats is the issue, since you got a 4.0 post-bacc. I thought VCU loved to see that kind of improvement!

How long did it take for you to hear back after the "Your file is Complete" message? And sorry to hear that! I'm dreading my first rejection too :sorry:
I heard back after 4 days. Complete on Thursday, rejected on Monday. I'm hoping it was my 3.48 GPA that did it and not some red flag. Good luck with your cycle though!

Members don't see this ad :)
How were your ECs like? I don't think stats is the issue, since you got a 4.0 post-bacc. I thought VCU loved to see that kind of improvement!
Oh wait I didn’t even see that part. My bad. I guess it must’ve been some other part of their app (volunteering, not fitting the mission etc)

do they actually screen though? i know im pretty late, but my AMCAS app was just verified this morning, and i got a generic email like 6 hours later saying they received my app, and to login to check status n all, but when i did, it said i was eligible to fill out/submit their secondary. could they really have screened my app with such a quick turnaround?
nothing super great: 3.65/508. is it even worth submitting if i already see people with better stats getting rejected?
im also OOS although i grew up right next door in Maryland lol

do they actually screen though? i know im pretty late, but my AMCAS app was just verified this morning, and i got a generic email like 6 hours later saying they received my app, and to login to check status n all, but when i did, it said i was eligible to fill out/submit their secondary. could they really have screened my app with such a quick turnaround?
nothing super great: 3.65/508. is it even worth submitting if i already see people with better stats getting rejected?
im also OOS although i grew up right next door in Maryland lol

Not sure how they got such quick turnaround on yours, but they definitely pre-screen. Lots of people get rejected pre-secondary here. If you have the ECs to back it up then it's worth taking the chance.

Is there anyone else that submitted the first week of July (July 2nd to 6th) that still has this as their status "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application."? really hoping to hear some good news from one of my top schools!!
I'm waiting too. Nothing yet, so hoping it is a good sign?

It's most likely your gpa. Grad school gpa don't count for med schools and I'm pretty sure this school has a cutoff around 3.5 but I could be wrong. Good luck in the rest of the cycle though!

But doesn't her 4.0 post-bacc make up for it?

To be clear, postbac work is not graduate-level work and is therefore not treated the same. Also, GPAs of undergraduate work (which includes postbac) and graduate-level classes are taken into account. Another factor that must be considered is science GPA; total GPA and science GPAs are looked at individually.

All applications are screened before receipt of a secondary.

To be clear, postbac work is not graduate-level work and is therefore not treated the same. Also, GPAs of undergraduate work (which includes postbac) and graduate-level classes are taken into account. Another factor that must be considered is science GPA; total GPA and science GPAs are looked at individually.

All applications are screened before receipt of a secondary.
@Dean Mission any idea of when we gonna see a wave of II’s? :)

They are being sent out. There are certain programs that will interview earlier, and preference for Virginia residents is also in-play early.

Reactions: 7 users
They are being sent out. There are certain programs that will interview earlier, and preference for Virginia residents is also in-play early.
I apologize for prying, but are you allowed to disclose what certain programs? (CERT?)

I completely understand if you cannot share that info. Thank you for all of your help!

Really hoping to hear from VCU. One of my top choices!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize for prying, but are you allowed to disclose what certain programs? (CERT?)

I completely understand if you cannot share that info. Thank you for all of your help!

Yes, CERT is a usually seen early.

@Dean Mission it's great to have you back!

I am a VA resident. But I don't get my new MCAT score until August 23rd, but my primary will be verified and secondaries pre-written so hopefully I would be complete by Labor Day. Is that considered late for IS admissions? If I add VCU on my AMCAS after getting my score on August 23rd, do you know when I would likely hear back from them in terms of pre-screening for secondaries and complete date, II etc?

I know I missed the earliest waves of IIs, but I'm wondering if I could possibly be in time for the Nov-Dec interviews being complete in September :shrug: Or based on your experience, do you think it will likely be next year until they get back to me?

That is late. Not too late, but late nonetheless. It means the queue is likely to be long at Subcommittee. And by long, I mean potentially thousands deep. Just means you will have to sit tight until your application is dealt with. That could be well into the fall, even as late as December, perhaps. That said, at Subcommittee you will receive a priority rank that will shuffle you into another queue. If you are a rock-star candidate you may get seen quickly. If not, then you may be waiting for another long while. This is the nature of the process. There are only so many eyes to look at applications. That said, each application is poured over very carefully, so every effort is made to make certain all things are considered before making final decisions.

Anyone heard about/gotten any MD/PhD activity from VCU? Are they starting to send IIs for those?

Do they send an email out if you get rejected/II?
I saw on the website it says to check the portal for status updates, but I just wanted to see if they would also email us.

I saw on the website it says to check the portal for status updates, but I just wanted to see if they would also email us.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you get an email stating that your portal has been updated and you have to check on there. That doesn't stop me from checking 5-6 times a day though. :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
No you'll just get an email saying to check your portal and then when you do, it'll tell you

Oh man just got the rejection update :/

Here are my stats in case it helps anyone out!
OOS (no ties)
GPA: 3.94
MCAT: 514

Oh man just got the rejection update :/

Here are my stats in case it helps anyone out!
OOS (no ties)
GPA: 3.94
MCAT: 514

Sorry to hear that. :( You have great stats though..you'll definitely have success this cycle!

Rejected, OOS
My stats are 3.8/515. Good luck to everyone! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm working on the secondary. How many sources do most people use? I tied sources into personal experience but I was just curious. Good luck all!

Lmao was complete 7/27 and am patiently waiting for this rejection

Any other OOS people complete early July and haven't heard anything?

I'm in-state, submitted secondary 7/14, and still have the
Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application.
Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile.
message. Enter stress city! Congrats to all the II receivers so far and best of luck to everyone in their process!

Reactions: 1 users
Wow just got a II email. I was not expecting that! Nothing in my portal has changed but I got an email saying to pick one of the interview dates

@Dean Mission should I expect an update in my portal soon too?

Reactions: 2 users
Rejected last week
NIH Postbac researcher, lots of ECs
3.8/506
In-state
I have been told that they put a really big emphasis on how you answer their questions. My committee LORs came in two days before rejection and they hadn't gotten my CASPer score yet.

Wow just got a II email. I was not expecting that! Nothing in my portal has changed but I got an email saying to pick one of the interview dates

Does your status say "your file has been reviewed etc." or "your file is now complete. sending to sub-committee for review."

Does your status say "your file has been reviewed etc." or "your file is now complete. sending to sub-committee for review."
My portal still says this which I find weird. But I got an email saying I've been invited to an interview
Your File Review is now complete. If you are granted an interview, you will receive a status update on your applicant portal.

Congrats! Yes, your portal will be updated, probably within the day. Interview details will be available on the portal.

@Dean Mission is the Office of Admissions receptive to updates? I accepted a new full-time role with a hospital system that I'm pretty excited about after submitting my AMCAS application, and it isn't reflected on my application.

@Dean Mission is the Office of Admissions receptive to updates? I accepted a new full-time role with a hospital system that I'm pretty excited about after submitting my AMCAS application, and it isn't reflected on my application.

For all intents and purposes, time stops for you as an applicant the moment your application is submitted. Credit will not be given for activities after that moment, even if it is noted as a planned activity on the application itself. The only exception to that is that interviewees will be invited to provide updates.

Reactions: 1 users
For all intents and purposes, time stops for you as an applicant the moment your application is submitted. Credit will not be given for activities after that moment, even if it is noted as a planned activity on the application itself. The only exception to that is that interviewees will be invited to provide updates.
Got it, thank you for the clarification!

This is what I understand is the case for most schools where updates are significant if given an interview for 1. more to talk about at the interview and 2. acceptance evaluation. I had great improvement to my application over the previous cycle and unfortunately, it seems like most schools did not take this information into consideration.

Just got an II!!! IS, Complete 7/5, LM 67-70

Reactions: 6 users