2018-2019 Wake Forest University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II! Complete mid-July

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Just received my II yesterday (complete in August). Wake Forest seems like a beautiful facility, but looking at national rankings, it sits at #51. I was really surprised by this, since I though WF was more upper middle tier?! Would y'all consider WF to be more middle-low middle tier?

I definitely don't want to downplay my II!! I have been accepted at my state institution with a scholarship (a true blessing), and just want to look in more to WF.

I believe it's US News & World Report who gathers the data to compile the national medical school rankings. I encourage you to read about the methodology used to select the school's ranking (both for primary care and research rankings). While both ranking systems use factors like selectivity, matriculation stats, etc., I was surprised that the ranking also relies on surveys taken by med school deans. Additionally, not all schools provide data (only 120-something of the 177 MD/DO schools responded with stats). I used to rely really heavily on the rankings, but after reading about it, parts of it seem pretty subjective.

Congrats & good luck on the interview! Wake Forest is a good one :)

Reactions: 1 users
somehow got an II yesterday lol --- anyone have any advice? I know not much can be said for MMI's, but any advice in general?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my II yesterday (complete in August). Wake Forest seems like a beautiful facility, but looking at national rankings, it sits at #51. I was really surprised by this, since I though WF was more upper middle tier?! Would y'all consider WF to be more middle-low middle tier?

I definitely don't want to downplay my II!! I have been accepted at my state institution with a scholarship (a true blessing), and just want to look in more to WF.

II! Complete mid-July

somehow got an II yesterday lol --- anyone have any advice? I know not much can be said for MMI's, but any advice in general?

Congratulations on the interviews! Were there a lot of interview dates left and did you send any updates?

Congratulations on the interviews! Were there a lot of interview dates left and did you send any updates?
thanks so much! I only had two options, 3/1 and 3/4. I think I sent an update immediately after submitting my secondary (in early Aug) but all it was was a note listing the research I'd done that I mistakenly left out of my primary.

Sent in my transcripts for my fall semester the other day, and got an II today! Any tips on which airport to fly into, and how to manage a MMI interview?!

Reactions: 2 users
Sent in my transcripts for my fall semester the other day, and got an II today! Any tips on which airport to fly into, and how to manage a MMI interview?!

Congrats! Go Sox! Where did you send the transcripts? portal or email?

You’ll want to fly into Greensboro (GSO), and for MMI’s, just take each station as a new start and don’t let your previous stations affect your overall demeanor (don’t be cocky if you did well, don’t pout if you did poorly). You can do those things after

I flew into Raleigh. Bigger airport but further of a drive. Charlotte works too.

If you're traveling during the week, there's a bus that runs from Greensboro airport to the med school. But depending on where you live, it may be cheaper to fly into Charlotte/Raleigh and rent a car. Best of luck!!!

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist/if anyone knows when waitlist start moving?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think any acceptances have been sent to anyone on the WL yet
Yeah, reference the last year's thread. Believe it or not, there's a good amount of waiting for those on the waitlist ;)

Yeah, reference the last year's thread. Believe it or not, there's a good amount of waiting for those on the waitlist ;)

Well last year I think they did give out some acceptances to WL candidates in December, but yeah definitely not expecting anything this year until May

I have been complete since this summer and have not heard anything. Anyone still waiting?

Reactions: 8 users
random but can anyone speak to what a typical day as a WF student is like?

random but can anyone speak to what a typical day as a WF student is like?
Sure! For me, I’ve found it really depends on which block we are in and what your study style happens to be.
During anatomy, we attended mandatory gross/micro/ultrasound/radiology labs 8-12 Tues/Thurs (which sounds like a lot now, but it was all fresh and exciting in July so even 8am really wasn’t that bad!) Some people would go to the non-mandatory MWF lectures, usually from 8-11ish, others would watch the recorded lecture at their own pace. We also have some afternoon longitudinal courses, like iCRIT (pretend doctoring/diagnosing), Clinical Skills (learning how to interview pts, physical exams, etc), or MAPS (ethics), all of which take minimal prep and are usually pretty fun! (I can’t speak for everyone of course)
In MAD and now our first Neuro block, lectures are 9-11, we still have 1 or 2 afternoon longitudinal courses, but have lots more free time since we are out of gross anatomy lab.
So today, I woke up, made my coffee, studied some Anki flash cards and came over to school so I can watch this morning’s lectures and study at school with other people (most of the class studies here because there’s tons of bright, quiet study spaces). Just have to make it through Friday’s test then we can forget about med school for a weekend and do something fun (yes, surprisingly there’s plenty of that too).
Hope that helps! :)

Reactions: 9 users
Has anybody who applied to the MD/PhD program heard anything? I know they will likely only have 2 positions again this year. Not sure how many people they interview for those 2 slots (or on which dates), but I’ve been waiting since mid-July and am starting to think it’s a soft R.

Does anyone remember if WF requires that we click "plan to enroll" by 2/19? Thanks!

Does anyone remember if WF requires that we click "plan to enroll" by 2/19? Thanks!
The only thing I remember is that it becomes available on 2/19. They will probably blast an email as soon as it does tomorrow and what they expect as far as how long you have to select it.

A post that explains this new “Plan to Enroll” process!

Reactions: 3 users

A post that explains this new “Plan to Enroll” process!

The only requirement regarding the tool that Wake Forest has is to select “Commit to Enroll” 21 days prior to matriculation and that the tool does not automatically withdraw applicants from our school. The applicant still has to contact us if they want to withdraw.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anybody who applied to the MD/PhD program heard anything? I know they will likely only have 2 positions again this year. Not sure how many people they interview for those 2 slots (or on which dates), but I’ve been waiting since mid-July and am starting to think it’s a soft R.

They changed their process this year and you have to be accepted MD before they will consider you for MD/PhD. If you haven't heard anything yet, I'd keep your hopes up. I've been waitlisted MD so I'm not sure where that leaves me...

They changed their process this year and you have to be accepted MD before they will consider you for MD/PhD. If you haven't heard anything yet, I'd keep your hopes up. I've been waitlisted MD so I'm not sure where that leaves me...

Thanks for the response and info! I haven’t heard anything from MD nor MD/PhD (I applied MD/PhD) since I submitted to Wake Forest in July (I’ve been submitting updates too), so I’m not expecting good news at this point...

Does anyone know when the 2/4 interviewees are supposed to hear back?

Thanks for the response and info! I haven’t heard anything from MD nor MD/PhD (I applied MD/PhD) since I submitted to Wake Forest in July (I’ve been submitting updates too), so I’m not expecting good news at this point...

If/when you hear from them, it will be MD (even if you applied MD/PhD, which I also did). They re-ask your interest in MD/PhD after you interview MD.

Just withdrew an interview here. Hope the spot goes to one of you!

Reactions: 7 users
How late in the cycle does WF interview until?

Waitlist :/

I’ve already been admitted at another amazing school, but I’d love to go to Wake Forest.

If anyone has any advice on how to approach the letter of interest for Wake, I’d greatly appreciate hearing it!

Accepted! This is my second time applying and my first acceptance. I sobbed.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 16 users

Good luck everyone!

Congratulations!!! My first acceptance also came from WF, and it was such an amazing feeling.

Good luck everyone!
Congrats!! It's a great school! and going to be an awesome class!

Got accepted today as well. I have a dumb question here, right after the interview, I received an email for joined degree interest, I chose two program as MD/PHD joined degree at that time. Was that been considered to applying to the PHD program? Will I know any decision for it soon?

Does anyone know how often the shuttle from Piedmont airport to the med school runs?

congrats on your acceptance!! how long did you wait to hear back?
Everyone that interviewed in February heard back that same day, so it varied by interview date. Mine was ~3 weeks

Does anyone know Wake Forest's policy on deferring matriculation for one year? / When to start this process?

Withdrew my II if anyone is looking for a 3/4 date!