2018-2019 Wake Forest University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew my II if anyone is looking for a 3/4 date!

THANK YOU @Premed11233!!! I just got a II for 3/4! SO EXCITED! Now to find transportation down to NC on Monday lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Very unexpectedly accepted! I wasn’t over the surprise of getting an II when I got the acceptance. I’m not complaining though because WF was my top choice.

Reactions: 7 users
Very unexpectedly accepted! I wasn’t over the surprise of getting an II when I got the acceptance. I’m not complaining though because WF was my top choice.
Congrats! It's a great school!

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed yesterday, MMI was pretty fun. The school was super nice and the students too. Not sure if I liked the surrounding area enough to make this my top choice.

Reactions: 3 users
This thread has been so quiet compared to others. April 15th/30th cannot come soon enough... (still hoping that some WL acceptances come before then though)

Anyone who interviewed 3/1 think we will hear before the 15th? wishful thinking lol

Reactions: 1 user
I've been accepted to medical school today, but Wake Forest is my top choice. I interviewed 3/1 and I want to write to wake and say "I've been accepted, but I want to go here." How would I do that? Do I need to submit an update or a letter of intent? They said to only send the letter if you're wait listed.

I've been accepted to medical school today, but Wake Forest is my top choice. I interviewed 3/1 and I want to write to wake and say "I've been accepted, but I want to go here." How would I do that? Do I need to submit an update or a letter of intent? They said to only send the letter if you're wait listed.

You can go to the portal and add stuff. I think a letter of interest for wake is specificly if you get waitlisted, but I think you can add update letters and such. I think you can only attach one letter of interest, but several update letters. I would just send an update, and if you get waitlisted, then send a LOI.

Best of luck. Wake is my top choice as well.

Last edited:
I would suggest contacting admissions via email and asking them specifically about this, since this is kind of a different situation from being waitlisted. They may go ahead and accept an LoI stating something along the lines that you already have an acceptance that you are ready to withdraw from given a seat at Wake Forest. I have a friend that did that (albeit for a different school) and wound up getting accepted. The WFSOM admissions staff is very friendly and helpful, and will guide you in the right direction. If they say wait to get an answer, then so be it, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Best of luck to you! It's a great school!

Rejected post interview today. Interviewed 3/1

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!!! FIRST ONE AND CURRENTLY SOBBING I'M SO HAPPY!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU @Premed11233 :love:

Interviewed 3/4!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Congratssss! Where you ever on hold or did you interview recently?

Can any current students speak to how much M1s generally spend on books + equipment? The financial aid website approximates $1,790 for the first year but I am wondering if most students actually spend this much

Can any current students speak to how much M1s generally spend on books + equipment? The financial aid website approximates $1,790 for the first year but I am wondering if most students actually spend this much
You don't need to buy any books, unless you feel like it would help you (spoiler, it probably won't). I don't know where that $ amount comes from, you don't need that much equipment at all. The most I've spent money on is some 3rd party learning resources (qbanks, boards and beyond etc) which are absolutely not required at all, but even with those, I don't think I'm anywhere close to that $ amount.

One of the amazing things about Wake is that they bought us all a lot of the really good resources already, which saves you a lot of money (pathoma, sketchy, firecracker, uworld, etc).

Reactions: 4 users
You don't need to buy any books, unless you feel like it would help you (spoiler, it probably won't). I don't know where that $ amount comes from, you don't need that much equipment at all. The most I've spent money on is some 3rd party learning resources (qbanks, boards and beyond etc) which are absolutely not required at all, but even with those, I don't think I'm anywhere close to that $ amount.

One of the amazing things about Wake is that they bought us all a lot of the really good resources already, which saves you a lot of money (pathoma, sketchy, firecracker, uworld, etc).

Accepted. Yippee!

When did Wake provide these resources at the start of the first year or second year?

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted. Yippee!

When did Wake provide these resources at the start of the first year or second year?
Congrats!
They gave us Pathoma near the start of anatomy, Sketchy at the start of microbio, and firecracker during the neuro block (all first year.) It's great because you can use the materials during the blocks, but also when it comes time to review you're already familiar with the resources.

Ahhh waitlisted on Wednesday and it feels bittersweet. Feel okay knowing I didn't completely butcher by first MMI but a little disappointed since I worked so hard preparing for the interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Ahhh waitlisted on Wednesday and it feels bittersweet. Feel okay knowing I didn't completely butcher by first MMI but a little disappointed since I worked so hard preparing for the interview.

Feel the same way! I'm hoping there will be quite a bit of waitlist movement this year.

Feel the same way! I'm hoping there will be quite a bit of waitlist movement this year.
There should be some decent waitlist movement now due to schools without rolling admissions finally releasing their acceptance letters. But I think everyone is expecting the most movement come April 15 and April 30. Which in my humble opinion, I think the deadlines are set way too late for applicants and schools alike. With a lot of schools starting in early July, not getting a seat at a school until early May or even later, doesn't leave much time for planning and executing a move to that locale, especially if you're a nontrad student with a family to move. With the current setup for the admissions process though and the ratio of applicants to seats, I don't know a good way to solve that issue, unless we start the application process much earlier in the year. It's definitely something to think about for us future physicians. Look for a way to improve the application process to make it more efficient, less costly (to schools and applicants), and less stressful.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
WF-SOM seems to produce a pretty disappointing match result every year.

No link from this year yet -- but at the time deciding med school, their list was poorer than a bit lower ranked state school, so objected S going there, now the match is very disappointing at his rank #11 or 12. No idea why he went there farther away at higher cost. The school doesn't seem to provide much support/coach in the app/interview process to produce a good match result -- won't allow another child to apply here. [They don't help their graduates. Go here for med school only if you have no other choice. we r still mourning the match result. just so bad.]

Last edited:
For my own sanity, can someone please confirm that there's no deposit for this school? :D

I might have missed this but does anyone know what the dress code is for second look?

Also wondering the same thing. Is there a dress code for the financial aid portion on Friday as well?

I assume everything would be business casual? I wouldn't feel right about showing up in shorts & a t-shirt lol. It would definitely be helpful if they specified, though.

@Pathdocmd are you able to comment on when Wake Forest will possibly start to pull from the waitlist?

Rejected. I really loved this school. This was the most painful rejection by far.

Is there any way we can get this years match list?

Attachments

• 2019 House Officer Appointment List.pdf
    201.8 KB · Views: 161
How many of you accepted students are considering Wake as your first option?

How many of you accepted students are considering Wake as your first option?
I am! I really liked the vibe I got from the school during interview day. Also, the school building is relatively new and modern which I like, many resources (e.g., textbook PDFs, First Aid, etc.) are provided to us for "free," cost of living in NC is pretty cheap, the faculty seemed passionate about teaching, and most importantly, all the students (at least all the ones I spoke to) seemed pretty happy with their decision. I also was very fortunate to receive a merit scholarship from Wake so that definitely helped me make my decision.

Are you trying to make a decision between Wake and other schools?

I am! I really liked the vibe I got from the school during interview day. Also, the school building is relatively new and modern which I like, many resources (e.g., textbook PDFs, First Aid, etc.) are provided to us for "free," cost of living in NC is pretty cheap, the faculty seemed passionate about teaching, and most importantly, all the students (at least all the ones I spoke to) seemed pretty happy with their decision. I also was very fortunate to receive a merit scholarship from Wake so that definitely helped me make my decision.

Yes i will PM you!

Congrats on your merit scholarship. When did you find out about that?

Congrats on your merit scholarship. When did you find out about that?
Thanks! I received the email about it on March 22nd. Maybe they'll distribute more in the next few weeks when they notify us about financial aid.

Cool partnership between Wake and Atrium that’s planning on bringing the first med school to Charlotte!

@Pathdocmd It is good to see you on here! Can you give us any updates on the waitlist? Number on list? Expected number of offers to be made from it? When there might be some movement if not already happening? Thanks in advance!