2018-2019 Wake Forest University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don’t know. They meet this Thursday. They said they’d get back to me Friday. Then I have to decide by Tuesday.

Opposed to my state school.
The financial aid office meets this Thursday or the Admissions Committee?

Members don't see this ad.

The financial aid office meets this Thursday or the Admissions Committee?
Financial aid committee meets every Thursday for need based aid. At least that’s what the person who replied to my appeal email told me

Members don't see this ad :)
When is the commit to enroll deadline here? And is there anything else you have to do to tell them that you are planning on attending?

When is the commit to enroll deadline here? And is there anything else you have to do to tell them that you are planning on attending?
Nope, just commit to enroll 21 days prior to orientation but if you plan on doing so you should commit on April 30th when it becomes available. Do you plan on attending?

Can any current student comment on what launch is? I just checked the academic calendar and it has "launch" before the white coat ceremony and before the classes begin. I remember the students talking about it on interview day, but other than that, not much information was provided.

According to MSAR, last year there were 107 acceptances granted to waitlisted applicants. If this year is similar, I find that encouraging
Hi! That number is correct, but it is extremely misleading. Last year, we went to the waitlist in December due to new admissions processes that had been implemented (MMI being the major driver behind that movement).

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! That number is correct, but it is extremely misleading. Last year, we went to the waitlist in December due to new admissions processes that had been implemented (MMI being the major driver behind that movement).
Thank you for clarifying and responding to this thread! Would you be able to share how many acceptances granted to wait list applicants you anticipate for this cycle?

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for clarifying and responding to this thread! Would you be able to share how many acceptances granted to wait list applicants you anticipate for this cycle?

Yes please!!! Or disclose if you believe that there will be a fair amount of movement this year?

...and also perhaps when you anticipate movement given your “commit to enroll” policy?

Yes please!!! Or disclose if you believe that there will be a fair amount of movement this year?
Every admissions cycle is different. We won't know when (or if) we will go to the waitlist or how many will come off. I'm sorry we can't be more specific.

Every admissions cycle is different. We won't know when (or if) we will go to the waitlist or how many will come off. I'm sorry we can't be more specific.
Understood. So there is a chance that you do not go to waitlist at all then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current student comment on what launch is? I just checked the academic calendar and it has "launch" before the white coat ceremony and before the classes begin. I remember the students talking about it on interview day, but other than that, not much information was provided.

LAUNCH: Initiating Medical Student Personal and Professional Development
LAUNCH builds a solid foundation for those entering the demanding medical curriculum by giving students the opportunity to enhance their understanding of themselves and each other, develop swift trust with their classmates and teachers, explore principles of self-care and peer care and consider how they want to approach the new way of life that they will experience as they enter a profession of service and life-long learning.

The LAUNCH course has been redesigned to inspire first year medical students as they begin their journey through medical school as well as to create a foundation of knowledge, skills and strategies that will help students navigate successfully the four years of medical education and beyond.

The curriculum is presented primarily via experiential face-to-face learning activities and the primary mode of interaction and teaching during LAUNCH is through sharing stories and stimulating conversations. By reflecting on and analyzing the stories of peers, teachers, patients and great names and events from history, students will learn to develop connections with each other as well as enhance their awareness and understanding of their own motivation, drive and potential.

Our aim is to support the personal and professional success of all students by engaging everyone in conversation, reflection and analysis.

Course length: 2 weeks, running concurrently with Clinical Skills and Medicine & Patients in Society

Morning sessions are mandatory, optional electives are scheduled during afternoons

The course content is structured around the following themes represented in the LAUNCH acronym and described below:

L Learning how to learn
A Acclimation to medical school & the medical profession
U Understanding oneself & others
N New terms and ideas
C Careers in medicine
H Healthy living

LAUNCH builds a solid foundation for those entering the demanding medical curriculum by giving students the opportunity to enhance their understanding of themselves and each other, develop swift trust with their classmates and teachers, explore principles of self-care and peer care and consider how they want to approach the new way of life that they will experience as they enter a profession of service and life-long learning.

The LAUNCH course has been redesigned to inspire first year medical students as they begin their journey through medical school as well as to create a foundation of knowledge, skills and strategies that will help students navigate successfully the four years of medical education and beyond.

The curriculum is presented primarily via experiential face-to-face learning activities and the primary mode of interaction and teaching during LAUNCH is through sharing stories and stimulating conversations. By reflecting on and analyzing the stories of peers, teachers, patients and great names and events from history, students will learn to develop connections with each other as well as enhance their awareness and understanding of their own motivation, drive and potential.

Our aim is to support the personal and professional success of all students by engaging everyone in conversation, reflection and analysis.

Course length: 2 weeks, running concurrently with Clinical Skills and Medicine & Patients in Society

Morning sessions are mandatory, optional electives are scheduled during afternoons

The course content is structured around the following themes represented in the LAUNCH acronym and described below:

L Learning how to learn
N New terms and ideas
C Careers in medicine
H Healthy living

Is the 25%-35% from WL still accurate?

Does anyone know what the Step 1 average was for this year as well as the averages the past couple years? I’ve heard different things

Does anyone know what the Step 1 average was for this year as well as the averages the past couple years? I’ve heard different things
In the past its been right around the national avg (228-230), but I heard from faculty that it went up by quite a bit this year. Don't have exact numbers, but they were pretty pumped about the increase. That class was the first one to be on the new curriculum, so take from that what you will.

Hey, do we withdraw by sending an email or clicking something on the portal?

Wake has been totally awesome and helped me with some aid when I explained my situation. But I have decided to go with cheap(er)... I sure hope this won't be one of my life regrets. Here's one more spot freed up.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey, do we withdraw by sending an email or clicking something on the portal?

Wake has been totally awesome and helped me with some aid when I explained my situation. But I have decided to go with cheap(er)... I sure hope this won't be one of my life regrets. Here's one more spot freed up.

:( They told us you have to submit an email to [email protected] to withdraw. Genuinely wish you the best fortune at your state school!

I thought at second look Dr. Hu said that the average this year was the highest in school history. And according to Wake's website, the average in 2014 was 233.

@WFSOM do you have any additional information you could provide?

Reactions: 1 user
not sure what the exact step1 average was but I believe it was either 233/234.

For those wondering about LAUNCH, it's basically 2 weeks of a very chill environment to get to know your classmates and build your friend group. You have activities throughout the day and nothing at night so it's can go out with people or do whatever you want. I can't stress enough how nice having that time is to make your friends cause once anatomy starts, you don't have much time to do that and you can often feel lost. We (soon-to-be M2s) will host a ton of activities for you guys to get to know each other so there will be lots of mingling. The school does a fantastic job of introducing you to different people in your class by having you sit with your clinical skills group, MAPS group, and iCRIT group.

If anyone has any q's feel free to shoot. I'm on here occasionally so I'll try to answer whenever I can.

has anyone not heard back at all after their application was complete? i realize their interviews ended months ago, but it seems like my application was not even reviewed. is anyone else in this same position and knows what to do? i would obviously want a refund for my secondary if they did not look at it..

No WL movement today? Can’t tell if this is a positive or negative sign...

No WL movement today? Can’t tell if this is a positive or negative sign...
If people are starting to withdraw today in big numbers, you thing they will get back to WL people same day? cause i really doubt it

Reactions: 7 users

L Learning how to learn
N New terms and ideas
C Careers in medicine
H Healthy living
Any word on WL movement? Sorry to bother /:

Finally decided to withdraw...hardest decision I've ever made. Lots of $$$ going back into their funds, so hopefully a few of you hear good news soon :).

Reactions: 3 users
Just accepted off the waitlist!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Accepted off the waitlist!!!

Edit: Additional info
Secondary 8/12/18 | Interviewed 10/08/18 | Waitlisted 10/18/18 | LOI 10/19/18 | Accepted 05/01/19
LM 68 - Nontrad - Out of State

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Just accepted off the waitlist!!! So happy and so grateful to Wake Forest for believing in me. I know how hard this process is - this is my second year applying after being waitlisted and ultimately denied last cycle. Everyone keep your hopes up and stay positive! Sending good vibes everyone’s way!

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted off the waitlist too. I'm so freaking pumped

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted off the waitlist too. I'm so freaking pumped
Just accepted off the waitlist!!! So happy and so grateful to Wake Forest for believing in me. I know how hard this process is - this is my second year applying after being waitlisted and ultimately denied last cycle. Everyone keep your hopes up and stay positive! Sending good vibes everyone’s way!
Accepted off the waitlist!!!
Just accepted off the waitlist!
What time did you guys get the email?
And when were you waitlisted?

Congrats to all of you most recent acceptees!

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrawing my waitlist position, good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Also got in off the waitlist late at night May 1 after interviewing March 4. Are there any current students I could PM with questions?

Reactions: 4 users
@Pathdocmd Think there can be movement today? Or are there typically designated days when admissions meet and send out decisions?

Reactions: 1 user