2018-2019 West Virginia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How do you know if you are mid or high priority on the pre-interview waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So has anyone from OOS actually been accepted rather than waitlisted after their interview?

II just now! OOS and complete super late at this school (like 2 weeks ago lol). In fact, admissions told me that they had almost filled their II slots when I called, and that I should not expect much as OOS. I am an average candidate in terms of stats, so I was pleasantly surprised by this. Just goes to show how unexpected this process really is! There is still hope you guys :)

Reactions: 1 users
II just now! OOS and complete super late at this school (like 2 weeks ago lol). In fact, admissions told me that they had almost filled their II slots when I called, and that I should not expect much as OOS. I am an average candidate in terms of stats, so I was pleasantly surprised by this. Just goes to show how unexpected this process really is! There is still hope you guys :)
What are the available dates?

What are the available dates?

Only two dates - Feb 11, and Feb 21st. But, the Feb 11th option disappeared after I selected that one :/ Of course, there may be more dates, but those are the only two I received.

Reactions: 1 user
Gotcha. Thank you. I’m on the II waitlist so was wondering how close to the end of their interview cycle is.
Only two dates - Feb 11, and Feb 21st. But, the Feb 11th option disappeared after I selected that one :/ Of course, there may be more dates, but those are the only two I received.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha. Thank you. I’m on the II waitlist so was wondering how close to the end of their interview cycle is.

Ah okay, if you haven't already, I'd def recommend sending in an update. It might propel them to pull up your app again to re-consider for an II!

Ah okay, if you haven't already, I'd def recommend sending in an update. It might propel them to pull up your app again to re-consider for an II!
That sounds like a good plan, thank you so much. I wish you the best on the interview and hope you get an acceptance.

Would anyone who has interviewed here mind detailing how the day goes? :)

Hi,

You have info/lunch/tour first and then after you have 2 interviews with different faculty. The interview was relaxed and the interviewers were nice. From what I heard from the other applicants at my interview they also had good experiences. I would recommend really looking at the school mission and their page so that when they ask why WVU you have a thought out answer that really connects you to them. After your 2 interviews your free to go. Hope this helps!

I was placed on the waitlist for an interview (medium priority, OOS) super early on (July 12) and hadn't heard anything, so I sent an email. They said:
"We cannot give you an accurate count of interview dates left because we are constantly gaining and filing interview spots. With that being said, we do not have many interview spots left for this cycle."
Not feeling super hopeful after that, which sucks because I like this school a lot!

I was placed on the waitlist for an interview (medium priority, OOS) super early on (July 12) and hadn't heard anything, so I sent an email. They said:
"We cannot give you an accurate count of interview dates left because we are constantly gaining and filing interview spots. With that being said, we do not have many interview spots left for this cycle."
Not feeling super hopeful after that, which sucks because I like this school a lot!
I’m on high priority one and have already lost hope.

How do you know what priority you are for waitlist for interview?

!! LM of 67 and I got the II. Kind of scared of being put on the waitlist as an OOS but WVU has been my dream and I have decent ties so here's to hoping I get some love.

edit: done in august, waitlist for interview till now

Last edited:
!! LM of 67 and I got the II. Kind of scared of being put on the waitlist as an OOS but WVU has been my dream and I have decent ties so here's to hoping I get some love.

edit: done in august, waitlist for interview till now
Wait you were on the waitlist for interview??? omg there is hope

I was on the waitlist as well . Got my II a few weeks ago .
OMG congrats. I finally feel that there is some hope lol.
I'm on the high priority waitlist so praying to hear back with an II

Accepted! Interviewed within the past 7 days. OOS- LM 73 with strong research and stats but slightly weaker volunteering. Strong ties to the area. I emphasized this during the interviews and it seemed to help. I am really passionate about the area and program so very excited!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Just emailed and found out I am Mid Priority waitlist for an interview... I hope that means I have somewhat of a shot at an interview lol. Do you guys think there actually is a low priority group though or is it just high and mid priority?

Don’t worry there is hope. I’m OOS, no ties, got an interview and was accepted !
Did they ask you about ties or anything in your interview? Or do you think it was just that your interests aligned with their mission really well?

To my muchachos and muchachas who interviewed with me today, it was great to meet all of you and I hope to see you soon!!

Hey , guys , what’s the difference between the campuses ? Also - can out of state students be accepted to eastern campus ? At what point is this decided?

Hey , guys , what’s the difference between the campuses ? Also - can out of state students be accepted to eastern campus ? At what point is this decided?

When accepted to WVU, you are accepted to the main campus (Morgantown) for the first two years of school. Basically the difference between campuses are the locations and the amount of students at each during the third and fourth years of school.The approximate breakdown is as follows:
Morgantown: 65
Charleston: 35
Martinsburg: 15
You will have to rank the campuses after you interview so the decision is made pretty early. Even if you don’t get your first choice, you can either trade with a classmate or rotate back to work with a particular speciality (if it is not offered where you end up).

Hi, ms3 here. You can definitely get into Eastern for sure. That's the least competitive clerkship campus to get. Most people want to stay in Morgantown so it'll be almost impossible to switch. However you definitely can bargain with people if you get Morgantown and want to switch out.
In terms of differences, you can read post #331

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Hey, looking to see if any current WVU students can chime in here. I was assigned to the Charleston campus in my offer letter. This was my second choice after Morgantown (really happy with either, just did not want Eastern). How hard is it to trade Charleston for Morgantown with another student if I decide that I would rather stay in Morgantown during the two years. Thanks!

Hey, looking to see if any current WVU students can chime in here. I was assigned to the Charleston campus in my offer letter. This was my second choice after Morgantown (really happy with either, just did not want Eastern). How hard is it to trade Charleston for Morgantown with another student if I decide that I would rather stay in Morgantown during the two years. Thanks!
The earlier you do it the more likely. However, still very unlikely. There were only like 1or2switched out of ~40of us who goes to Charleston.

Charleston is still quite decent though :)

In my opinion:
Morgantown: more specialty research opportunity readily available but less good experience for surgery rotation.

Charleston: Good if you want to do procedural specialty like gen surg. Surg faculty is extremely helpful and nice. However, IM and EM seems to not be as strong. Also, need to be more proactive in finding research project.

Eastern: very strong preventive and diabetic clinic. Very good primary care faculty. However, seems to lack sub specialty exposures and research opportunity for competitive specialty.

Do you know where pathology is better ? And EM?

Do you know where pathology is better ? And EM?
Pathology as a specialty or patient pathology? If former I would say Morgantown but the later would be Charleston.

For EM I would recommend Morgantown.

Just emailed and found out I am Mid Priority waitlist for an interview... I hope that means I have somewhat of a shot at an interview lol. Do you guys think there actually is a low priority group though or is it just high and mid priority?

Can confirm that there is a low priority list lol. I have absolutely 0 ties to the area and was put in low priority.

Accepted off of the WL today! Just received a call from Dr. Nield!

I love your sense of humor . Sorry for the waitlist though

I am fortunate enough to already have an acceptance to a school I love, so that's why I'm able to laugh at it! I'm honestly glad they put me in the low tier so that people without acceptances can get IIs before me.