2019-2020 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With the sudden need for online curriculum, a lot of the faculty are only just now learning how to operate these programs. Literally had a professor today spend the first 10 minutes of our lecture figuring out how to zoom. Lotsa confusion going around lol.
yeah when everybody had to switch to virtual teaching/learning.. I'm like my college professors didn't even know how to operate YouTube. it's about to be a crap show lol.

Members don't see this ad.

How are students going to handle the USMLE now that it’s switched to pass or fail? Are there many CUSOM students still taking usmle?

If the current scoring system for boards stays the same (which I doubt it will), then I'd assume most students would still take USMLE step 1 so they can also take a scored step 2 in addition to COMLEX. They did say our class is the "earliest" they would implement changes, but that doesn't mean they can't push that back a year or change it completely before then.

Personally I plan to study for COMLEX / USMLE as if they will all be scored. Best scenario: I'm as prepared as possible if they are all scored. Worst scenario: I've utilized outside recourses to reinforce class topics and hopefully help with rotation performance.

Side note: it's wild thinking back to 2 months ago when the biggest uncertainty ahead of me was how to prepare for med school without step 1. As a notorious planner, it still leaves me feeling like I'm on a trail with no map. But the current uncertainty in the world and health field has really helped me realize that not all things need an exact plan and the best thing I can do for myself is just to take it 1 day at a time.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone have the match list either for 2019 or 2020? They're still updating the visuals on the website :/

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any information about the date/format of the online accepted students day?

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone from April 6th interview date received a decision yet?

I interviewed on the 3rd and I too have yet to hear anything. Though they said there should be some news either Friday or Monday.

I was just waitlisted today. If anyone has any pointers on what to do to improve my odds here please let me know! CUSOM is my top choice and the mission really coincides with my own.

I was just waitlisted today. If anyone has any pointers on what to do to improve my odds here please let me know! CUSOM is my top choice and the mission really coincides with my own.
I was also waitlisted. It’s nice that they’ll release your ranking on the waitlist on May 1st, though.

Reactions: 2 users
I was also waitlisted. It’s nice that they’ll release your ranking on the waitlist on May 1st, though.
when did y'all interview? i have yet to hear back

Members don't see this ad :)
got the R two days ago! GL all! we all about to be docs in 4 years phew!

• Sad
Anything in particular you did after being waitlisted or just an email?
I was definitely prepared to do a work/volunteer update and write a letter of intent. However, they emailed me Monday with the admissions’s offer after my Friday waitlist. I didn’t get the opportunity to send ‘em anything.

Reactions: 3 users
How are students going to handle the USMLE now that it’s switched to pass or fail? Are there many CUSOM students still taking usmle?
If the current scoring system for boards stays the same (which I doubt it will), then I'd assume most students would still take USMLE step 1 so they can also take a scored step 2 in addition to COMLEX. They did say our class is the "earliest" they would implement changes, but that doesn't mean they can't push that back a year or change it completely before then.

Personally I plan to study for COMLEX / USMLE as if they will all be scored. Best scenario: I'm as prepared as possible if they are all scored. Worst scenario: I've utilized outside recourses to reinforce class topics and hopefully help with rotation performance.

Side note: it's wild thinking back to 2 months ago when the biggest uncertainty ahead of me was how to prepare for med school without step 1. As a notorious planner, it still leaves me feeling like I'm on a trail with no map. But the current uncertainty in the world and health field has really helped me realize that not all things need an exact plan and the best thing I can do for myself is just to take it 1 day at a time.

As I think another commenter pointed out, no one knows exactly how this will work out yet, so the following is purely speculation. Also the change to p/f for step 1 doesn't affect me personally as a member of the class of 2022, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

First, you can take step 2 without taking step 1. I'm not sure if that's all you need to draw the appropriate conclusions now about how this is likely to work, but if not, I'm happy to explain. If the changes announced a couple months ago do take place, I think it's unlikely DO students will continue to take step 1. If a student scores highly on level 1, level 2, and step 2, no one is going to question that they would have passed step 1. A pass literally does nothing for them. The only thing passing step 1 says is that you meet the minimum competency standard in the basic sciences to practice medicine in the United States (and that's the only thing a board exam is designed to assess - hence the pass/fail scoring). It's expected that step 2 will continue to be used to stratify residency applicants when these changes take place. If that is the case, and medical education continues to be a competition to see who can score highest on basic competency exams, then it's likely that step 2 will be changed to pass/fail as well, and that's when things will become really interesting. For students entering medical school next year, I think this will just be one less test you have to pay for.

As I think another commenter pointed out, no one knows exactly how this will work out yet, so the following is purely speculation. Also the change to p/f for step 1 doesn't affect me personally as a member of the class of 2022, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

First, you can take step 2 without taking step 1. I'm not sure if that's all you need to draw the appropriate conclusions now about how this is likely to work, but if not, I'm happy to explain. If the changes announced a couple months ago do take place, I think it's unlikely DO students will continue to take step 1. If a student scores highly on level 1, level 2, and step 2, no one is going to question that they would have passed step 1. A pass literally does nothing for them. The only thing passing step 1 says is that you meet the minimum competency standard in the basic sciences to practice medicine in the United States (and that's the only thing a board exam is designed to assess - hence the pass/fail scoring). It's expected that step 2 will continue to be used to stratify residency applicants when these changes take place. If that is the case, and medical education continues to be a competition to see who can score highest on basic competency exams, then it's likely that step 2 will be changed to pass/fail as well, and that's when things will become really interesting. For students entering medical school next year, I think this will just be one less test you have to pay for.
Didn’t they change it so step 1 must be taken before step 2?

Didn’t they change it so step 1 must be taken before step 2?

I think that's Step 2 CS not Step 2 CK

Hey guys/girls old graduated student from Campbell.

Thoughts about Campbell. It’s at best mediocre.

Why?

First- I personally have had a bad experience with administration. More on this later on how they screwed me.

Second- The administration looks at ways to keep their agenda aligned with COCA, otherwise the governing body of osteopathic schools. Rather, than looking at student interests they care about their numbers. An example being recently increasing the class size for $$$.

Third- Think ahead of time for subspecialities that are competitive like surgery, anesthesia, optho, ortho, etc. The school does a good job honing you toward PCP fields. This can be good and bad. If your subspecializing your on your own.

Fourth- boards, rotations>>>>>> everything else. I did this and I’m glad. Don’t worry to much about a low grade in class, or worry to much about low grade in OMM( osteopathic medicine) if you succeed at boards and rotations your golden!

Story time:
Campbell mistakenly wrote on my MSPE I was placed on probation to the APPS committee for failing a course, which I did not. I found this out on my interview trail.

Now, you will say well most Med schools let you see the MSPE before submitting the application. Nope! Not this school. they told me my MSPE over the phone and didn’t mention anything related to me failing my course. I could see the MSPE in person but it was only one day before they sent it out and I was on a surgery rotation.

I worked my but off for my scores, research, leadership activities and even on my rotations. I still got ****ed!

In the end, I did match but not into my speciality of choice and matched my last spot.

The program that brought up my failed course was the program I matched because they thought something doesn’t add up?

So moral of story DO NOT go to a newly opened DO school <4 years. Now there are great DO schools with good reputation, but ask their Med students how they are treated with study time, resources for boards and pass rate. The students will give you an honest answer!!

Campbell is a great school because of the honest students and support system you build with them.

Campbell sucks at almost everything else from administration, to curriculum, to mediocre third year rotation (more focused on rural care).

For people that disagree with me. Look at the match of each class and see how many stay within Campbell affiliated residencies, especially the PCP fields?

Med schools are suppose to support you in times where you need support. Like making sure you have ample time to study for boards, ample time for interviews, not screw over your MSPE. And that’s why I PERSONALLY will not be proud of this institute for the way they treated me.

If this is your only choice, so be it. Go for it. If you have other options, look at more details like FIRST pass rate, where do students match, research, presentations, etc... Not how new the building is or what food they have on campus.

Sorry for the long rant, but I just want to give some advice to fellow pre-Med and Med students at Campbell.

Wasn't Campbell SOM established in 2011? They're not <4 years old, now, so that lesson doesn’t really apply here.

Last edited:
Hey guys/girls old graduated student from Campbell.

Thoughts about Campbell. It’s at best mediocre.

Why?

First- I personally have had a bad experience with administration. More on this later on how they screwed me.

Second- The administration looks at ways to keep their agenda aligned with COCA, otherwise the governing body of osteopathic schools. Rather, than looking at student interests they care about their numbers. An example being recently increasing the class size for $$$.

Third- Think ahead of time for subspecialities that are competitive like surgery, anesthesia, optho, ortho, etc. The school does a good job honing you toward PCP fields. This can be good and bad. If your subspecializing your on your own.

Fourth- boards, rotations>>>>>> everything else. I did this and I’m glad. Don’t worry to much about a low grade in class, or worry to much about low grade in OMM( osteopathic medicine) if you succeed at boards and rotations your golden!

Story time:
Campbell mistakenly wrote on my MSPE I was placed on probation to the APPS committee for failing a course, which I did not. I found this out on my interview trail.

Now, you will say well most Med schools let you see the MSPE before submitting the application. Nope! Not this school. they told me my MSPE over the phone and didn’t mention anything related to me failing my course. I could see the MSPE in person but it was only one day before they sent it out and I was on a surgery rotation.

I worked my but off for my scores, research, leadership activities and even on my rotations. I still got ****ed!

In the end, I did match but not into my speciality of choice and matched my last spot.

The program that brought up my failed course was the program I matched because they thought something doesn’t add up?

So moral of story DO NOT go to a newly opened DO school <4 years. Now there are great DO schools with good reputation, but ask their Med students how they are treated with study time, resources for boards and pass rate. The students will give you an honest answer!!

Campbell is a great school because of the honest students and support system you build with them.

Campbell sucks at almost everything else from administration, to curriculum, to mediocre third year rotation (more focused on rural care).

For people that disagree with me. Look at the match of each class and see how many stay within Campbell affiliated residencies, especially the PCP fields?

Med schools are suppose to support you in times where you need support. Like making sure you have ample time to study for boards, ample time for interviews, not screw over your MSPE. And that’s why I PERSONALLY will not be proud of this institute for the way they treated me.

If this is your only choice, so be it. Go for it. If you have other options, look at more details like FIRST pass rate, where do students match, research, presentations, etc... Not how new the building is or what food they have on campus.

Sorry for the long rant, but I just want to give some advice to fellow pre-Med and Med students at Campbell.
Campbell has one of the highest first time pass rates for COMLEX and USMLE among the COMS. At of all the schools I interviewed at, Campbell still up top.

Looks like that failed course screwed you over. Another lesson: don't fail your course work. Mediocre still beats the hell outta some of the other COMS out there. Thank you for your honest review though.

Campbell has one of the highest first time pass rates for COMLEX and USMLE among the COMS. At of all the schools I interviewed at, Campbell still up top.

Looks like that failed course screwed you over. Another lesson: don't fail your course work. Mediocre still beats the hell outta some of the other COMS out there. Thank you for your honest review though.
it looks like OP said they did NOT fail the course lol but they wrote that they did.

it looks like OP said they did NOT fail the course lol but they wrote that they did.
Then the question is why? There’s probably more to the story. My plan is to be nice to the administration and go to classes. Just smile and waive boys. No one just puts you failed something for no good reason. There was probably some type of altercation between student and administration.

Then the question is why? There’s probably more to the story. My plan is to be nice to the administration and go to classes. Just smile and waive boys. No one just puts you failed something for no good reason. There was probably some type of altercation between student and administration.
yeah possibly tbh #shrugs. haha

I was thinking this too. Some of this doesn’t add up. Well, either way, I’ll ask to review the MSPE in any school I go to, which I’m sure Campbell would have done for this person if they insisted on it.

Just got an email update regarding the waitlist. They're saying the waitlist is divided into Top tier, Middle tier, and Lower tier; I've been designated as Middle Tier. Can anyone explain how this works or what my chances might be going forward?

Primary Completed: 7/30/19

Secondary Offered: 8/27/19

Secondary Completed: 9/17/19 (late due to personal emergency)

Interview Invite: 9/27/19

Interview Date: 12/9/19 (waited until I moved back to NC due to financial reasons and was told it may act as a waitlist interview)

Waitlisted: 1/22/20

Notification of "Top High Tier" Waitlist Status: 5/5/20

Goodluck all!

Last edited:
Wow, that’s some upsetting news from a former grad I’m only a 3rd year so I haven’t had to go through the interview trail and the stress of matching just yet and can’t speak about issues with that, but for sure the school does try to promote PC to an extent. But....can you really blame an institution whose mission is to promote PC for promoting PC...? I never really felt like they were trying to shove it down our throats, but I also applied here because I was interested in it to begin with.

Some of my friends that are pursuing GenSurg, EM, Gas, Ortho never complained about being left hanging with regards to advice. There have been a couple of advisors that recommended against taking USMLE (dumb), but far more do than don’t. Hell we have a couple of crazies on faculty that actively promote competitive specialties. They give you so much advice you get kind of overwhelmed....I know they weren’t around from the very beginning so it could be that the above grad wasn’t around when they appeared.

IMO every school is gonna have problems and if you want support you have to earn it. It’s not likely that any med school is gonna support you pursuing a reach specialty if your grades/boards make it likely you won’t match. They want good numbers. The school’s job is to graduate you, and by its stats Campbell does a very good job at that. How you graduate, however, whether it’s just barely or with honors is reflected by what you put in (and that includes getting on administration’s good side). It’s also possible that mistakes in an app can happen if you don’t neurotically ensure that it is perfect yourself.

Couple other details that the grad touched on. Board prep time: I took mine end of June and class ended...late March early Aprilish, so I had like at least 2.5 months. Which I don’t think anyone can complain about. For interviews, every 4th year I’ve spoken to went to at least 10, and I know of some that broke 15. I will say that, like most schools, CUSOM probably isn’t gonna baby you...if you pursue PC it’ll be smooth sailing, but you’re not left high and dry if you don’t. They’re not gonna trip you up, but if you want something else and you look for resources, they are there.

I want to clear things up here. I did not fail any courses.

Step scores high 240s, level 1/2-600s

I basically high passed and honored my rotations with great precotor comments.

Through my years. Campbell did emphasize the importance of PCP and had very few to little help when it came to subspeciality choices.

Campbell just graduated their 4th year class, if I am not mistaken.

I didn’t have any issues with administration throughout my years at all. But when they make a mistake like this, it’s really really upsetting.

According to administration it was a computer mistake. They sent out a letter and an updated MSPE to ERAS to fix this issue, but by then it was already to late.

I know I should have personally went to look at my MSPE but as i recall they only had one or two days to look at the MSPE in person before they sent it out to ERAS. Therefore, I called to get the information as I was on a busy surgery service. I trusted what they said and was fine with it.

Curriculum- courses that were unnecessary were part of the pre-clinical years. Foundation of Medical Practice and Professional Core Competentcies are a few.

Rotation- ability to request certain rotations were unavailable due to preceptors not taking students or leaving. I have had to repeat some rotations again because there weren’t any elective options available.

Setting up new auditions rotations was a pain as well, especially doing all the necessary paperwork by yourself where other schools do them for you.

I am not saying Campbell is doom and gloom the worst DO school but I AM saying it’s not the best school. If you have options to go to an MD school go to it. There are highly repubtable D.O. schools out there as well. But, if this is your only choice than so be it.

Again Campbell is a fantastic school for PCP fields. You have people matching at reputable PCP programs but if competitive specialities are in your mind the resources and connections you make here are very limited.

Yes, Campbell has a great first time pass rate but JUST ONLY passing is not important for residency. It’s the scores that matter as well. But, that’s solely upon the student and how they prepare.

Guys/girls I am placing my personal feelings in this as well. I apologize for saying don’t go to this school. I don’t mean literally but be aware of relatively new DO schools.

But IF one of your important job is to make sure to send out the correct MSPE than I mean you kind of did fail at doing your administration job.

One lesson to learn is “trust but verify”

Not all are bad apples but a few bad apples can leave a bad taste in your mouth.

I will gladly talk and share my experience with other students and help people as I can.

I am working on finishing my first residency and will do my dream residency soon. It just took a longer route for me.

Hey, I was wondering if any current or even prospective students could give me their opinions on CUSOM vs. other DO schools in the Southeast? I was accepted to ACOM and that is where I plan to go currently but I was notified by CUSOM that I am in the "top high tier" of the waitlist. With the possibility of being accepted to CUSOM, I am starting to more seriously compare these 2 schools. After interviewing at each school I felt like they were rather comparable. I was just wondering if anyone who also applied to both or any current students at CUSOM have any opinions on why CUSOM stands out compared to ACOM. Thanks!

(Incoming CUSOM student) Don't know about the stats at ACOM, but of the 7 DO schools I was accepted at CUSOM blew out the competition with their stats. Better board scores/pass rates with USMLE & COMPLEX at all steps/levels and better competitive residency placement rates. And the campus is very new and nice, plus NC is a great state for many reasons. I would just do some research based on what's important to you and reach out to current students at both schools and compare.

Current 1st year here. Last year I was ranked "Top Tier" of the wait-list and was admitted days after being sent that e-mail. Many others also ranked "top tier" on the wait-list got in. Admissions told me that wait list does actively move and that proved to be true last year, and will probably be the same for this year. I'm not sure about the other tiers to be honest. Good luck to you all! :)

Hey, I was wondering if any current or even prospective students could give me their opinions on CUSOM vs. other DO schools in the Southeast? I was accepted to ACOM and that is where I plan to go currently but I was notified by CUSOM that I am in the "top high tier" of the waitlist. With the possibility of being accepted to CUSOM, I am starting to more seriously compare these 2 schools. After interviewing at each school I felt like they were rather comparable. I was just wondering if anyone who also applied to both or any current students at CUSOM have any opinions on why CUSOM stands out compared to ACOM. Thanks!

I don't know about ACOM ( I didn't apply there) but if you have any questions about CUSOM feel free to message me!

Spot opening up from me friends.

@KMat and @alkaidius, I have a few questions for you both if you have the time. Thank you in advance for your insight! For context, I had a Skype interview so I had some trouble getting a good feel for the school, at least compared to my other on-campus interview days.
  1. The two things I'm least excited about are the attendance policy and the dress code. Can you give us some insight into those two items and talk to us about their specifics, the enforcement, your personal experiences/feelings, etc.
  2. I'm a career changer with a spouse and a toddler, so I am interested in hearing about the experiences of students who also have families. How is the support/understanding from the administration? For example a student missing class due to a sick child, or needing certain rotation sites to accommodate a spouse's career.
  3. During the preclinical years there seems to be many students (at other schools at least) who prefer to ignore the school lectures and focus on 3rd party resources (Boards & Beyond, Anki, etc) for self-directed learning. Given the mandatory attendance at Campbell, do all students prioritize class lectures or did you see many of your classmates focus instead on 3rd party resources?
  4. Campbell is officially a religious institution and includes “Christianity” in the mission statement. How prevalent is religion or religious influence during your years in the medical school?
Thank you again for sharing your experiences and information with us!

@KMat and @alkaidius, I have a few questions for you both if you have the time. Thank you in advance for your insight! For context, I had a Skype interview so I had some trouble getting a good feel for the school, at least compared to my other on-campus interview days.
  1. The two things I'm least excited about are the attendance policy and the dress code. Can you give us some insight into those two items and talk to us about their specifics, the enforcement, your personal experiences/feelings, etc.
  2. I'm a career changer with a spouse and a toddler, so I am interested in hearing about the experiences of students who also have families. How is the support/understanding from the administration? For example a student missing class due to a sick child, or needing certain rotation sites to accommodate a spouse's career.
  3. During the preclinical years there seems to be many students (at other schools at least) who prefer to ignore the school lectures and focus on 3rd party resources (Boards & Beyond, Anki, etc) for self-directed learning. Given the mandatory attendance at Campbell, do all students prioritize class lectures or did you see many of your classmates focus instead on 3rd party resources?
  4. Campbell is officially a religious institution and includes “Christianity” in the mission statement. How prevalent is religion or religious influence during your years in the medical school?
Thank you again for sharing your experiences and information with us!

1. Attendance is 80%, so people tend to plan out their absent days. For the most part, I remember there being a couple emergency family situations. I don’t know the details of what happened, but I don’t remember the people involved complaining about being unsupported. One thing that does come to mind is someone got hospitalized for an infection for a month and was able to get approval for an extension of the block they were in. They lost their summer break after first year, but at least didn’t have to repeat the whole year. Dress code they’re more bark than bite. Guys started loosening their shirts, not wearing ties. Girls, as far as I could tell, got away with so freakin much because of the sheer variety. For the most part, as long as you don’t walk into class looking like you just rolled out of bed, it’s pretty lax. I personally didn’t care. What I wore was the least of my concerns when s*** hit the fan. (I really hope no one important reads this and decides to change things lol)

2. Yeah when you start ranking rotation sites in 2nd year you can fill out a hardship form that gives you priority for certain sites if you absolutely need them depending on family situation. So things like being a homeowner, spouse with career, child’s school....I think all that stuff applies.

3. Second half of year 2...yeah 90% of the class was in headphones/earplugs doing their own thing. There are rare times when there’s a guest lecturer that you absolutely have to attend and they’ll call you in if you wear headphones (wear earplugs instead). I know a few people got caught and they’re still here, so I’m guessing they just got a stern warning. You get earplugs for every quiz and library hands ‘em out like candy, so....hoard ‘em.

4. Hahahaha, we have one dude that you’ll see just a handful of times per block that likes to say a prayer before starting lecture. That’s pretty much it. I forget we’re a religious institution. Non-issue if that’s not your thing.

Does anyone here know if CUSOM will be starting classes on time? Will they be in person?

Has anyone who was waitlisted heard back regarding acceptances yet? I’m hoping we’ll see some movement after that email they sent out dividing the waitlist into “tiers”

Interview Date: 1/27/20

Waitlisted: 3/23/20

Notification of " High Tier" Waitlist Status: 5/5/20

Accepted: 5/13/20

Thanks and good luck!