You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 George Washington
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
buccal_podiatry
Full Member
TFW your entire "Why this school?" answer was about the integration of public health into the curriculum, and now they made that a whole separate question RIP
imo you should still use your original answer for “why this school”! For me, 350 c. was way too short to talk about what you’re saying. What I did was give a couple “experiences relating to this curriculum” and connected them to “specific interests” e.g. public health topics from their curriculum that I’m interested in studying - even for that, I was super tight.
Put on hold for re-review!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted993760
Put on hold for re-review!
how did you find that out?
Shows on your portal, no emailhow did you find that out?
Same. So does that mean anything? Like we made it through an initial cut?Put on hold for re-review!
From previous cycles, it seems like most people get put on hold. Some get interviews, some dont. We may be too early for IIs regardless. Some do get instant IIs though. I dont think its a cut persay.Same. So does that mean anything? Like we made it through an initial cut?
Perhaps a stupid question lol. But... public health is pretty much the same as global health right? especially in our age of globalization? Both emphasize preventative care and public education, but one just transcends boundaries?
edit: how the f do you write anything of value in 350 char lol
edit: how the f do you write anything of value in 350 char lol
Last edited:
Also just saw that I got this hold. I find it hard to believe that an actual person has looked at so many people’s applications already, so maybe it just means our apps have gone through some sort of automatic pre-screening process?From previous cycles, it seems like most people get put on hold. Some get interviews, some dont. We may be too early for IIs regardless. Some do get instant IIs though. I dont think its a cut persay.
Interesting theoryAlso just saw that I got this hold. I find it hard to believe that an actual person has looked at so many people’s applications already, so maybe it just means our apps have gone through some sort of automatic pre-screening process?
bestestmench
Full Member
Also just saw that I got this hold. I find it hard to believe that an actual person has looked at so many people’s applications already, so maybe it just means our apps have gone through some sort of automatic pre-screening process?
they probably screen for minimum mcat/gpas
imo you should still use your original answer for “why this school”! For me, 350 c. was way too short to talk about what you’re saying. What I did was give a couple “experiences relating to this curriculum” and connected them to “specific interests” e.g. public health topics from their curriculum that I’m interested in studying - even for that, I was super tight.
That's pretty much what I ended up doing! I put a short blurb in the 350 character essay (which was super short) and then later in the "Why this school" essay, expanded on that and added some other details.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FWIW Last cycle I got my secondary the same day I got it and my portal didnt change until a couple days before my II. All it said was "under review" on 7/13 then got an II on 7/16.
are you guys talking about the information under the "application status"? mine doesn't say anything specific like "under review" or "on hold" it just says my app is complete and they have received everything for my app to be reviewed. If this means anything, I was complete 7/3
GloballyMed
Full Member
Is it worth applying here given the huge number of applications they receive each year? My uGPA is on the lower end so I am not sure if I should send my app here. Anyone in same situation?
@GloballyMed
based on that i think its worth applying no doubt as long as you have some ecs of course
uGPA: 3.2 with strong upward trend last 3 years, SMP: 3.8, MCAT: 521, nontrad ORM
based on that i think its worth applying no doubt as long as you have some ecs of course
GloballyMed
Full Member
@GloballyMed
based on that i think its worth applying no doubt as long as you have some ecs of course
Thanks for the reply. Not too worried about my ecs as I think they are pretty strong. Just a little worry about my stats.
For the question asking what your activities are during your gap year... is it saying full-time for ALL activities? Like if you don't do something for 30-40 hours per week, don't put it? Because I have a lot of part time activities, but nothing that is "full-time"
pugpy_dawg
Full Member
Complete 7/1, placed on hold for re-review
What activities do you have that make up a full-time schedule.For the question asking what your activities are during your gap year... is it saying full-time for ALL activities? Like if you don't do something for 30-40 hours per week, don't put it? Because I have a lot of part time activities, but nothing that is "full-time"
Mine did too. Wouldn’t worry too much.Submitted 7/8! I'm a little concerned because even though the portal said it received my application, it displayed an error message when trying to load the PDF
pugpy_dawg
Full Member
I feel/felt the same but trying to stay positive. My googling on this topic came up with the following tid-bit from r/premed that's at least somewhat encouraging:Was marked as hold for re-review. Kind of bummed to be honest. I’m really excited about GW
"Someone I went to undergrad with is an admissions counselor at GW. I emailed him last year about the hold status. This is what he said:
'Almost all applicants get placed on hold for some period of time. The people who get invites right away is very limited and usually is reserved for people that the committee knows they will want to interview regardless of what the rest of the applicant pool looks like.'"
Same seems to load fine todayjust FYI to all the people who had the "fail to load PDF" message...I had to the same issue initially, but just checked and the pdf was able to load
Was marked as hold for re-review. Kind of bummed to be honest. I’m really excited about GW
Just checked and I'm the same. |:
Look at the bright side.... we aren't rejected.. yet lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so if I submitted last week and I still have the "your file is now complete" message, is that a good sign or am I just grasping at straws?
so if I submitted last week and I still have the "your file is now complete" message, is that a good sign or am I just grasping at straws?
Same here...hoping it’s good. Or maybe our apps are at the bottom of the pile and they haven’t even touched them yet lol
Amcas verified next week (sub june20)
Secondary submitted 7/9
On a side note, I copy pasted an entry from gdocs and read thru it on the portal at least 8x. By submission there was a random dash after a word that wasnt in the copypaste text.... count me out of this one ladies and gents one extra potential II slot /s
Secondary submitted 7/9
On a side note, I copy pasted an entry from gdocs and read thru it on the portal at least 8x. By submission there was a random dash after a word that wasnt in the copypaste text.... count me out of this one ladies and gents one extra potential II slot /s
Amcas verified next week (sub june20)
Secondary submitted 7/9
On a side note, I copy pasted an entry from gdocs and read thru it on the portal at least 8x. By submission there was a random dash after a word that wasnt in the copypaste text.... count me out of this one ladies and gents one extra potential II slot /s
I hope you’re being sarcastic... it’ll be fine!
That's probably it honestly. They get so many applications it will probably take a while before they can get to everyone. On the brightside, if they haven't seen your application yet that also means they haven't rejected you.Same here...hoping it’s good. Or maybe our apps are at the bottom of the pile and they haven’t even touched them yet lol
Put on hold for re-review!
+1
Going off last year's thread it seems they started re-reviewing "on hold" applicants beginning late September, so for those of us who've been put on hold I guess we can expect to not hear anything back for a few months at least. GW also seems to do most of their rejects en masse after they've finished interviewing in the spring.
Last edited:
mdschooladmission20182019
Full Member
Complete 7/1. Still have the initial "Your file is complete" message.
Thats not what you had when you initially submitted, right? Right before I got my II lst cycle, I think it had a 1 sentence message saying it was under review instead of the paragraph that is normally there.Complete 7/1. I've had "Your file is under review" for about 5 days now.
Thats not what you had when you initially submitted, right? Right before I got my II lst cycle, I think it had a 1 sentence message saying it was under review instead of the paragraph that is normally there.
I think it said my file was complete when I submitted. Then I checked in when others started saying their status changed to on hold for re review. I looked and mine said under review which is what it’s said for a few days now
Just realized for the "let us know what you'll be doing up until matriculation" question I mentioned the classes I'll be taking in the fall semester but totally neglected talking about my winter classes (although it will show up in AMCAS)
How bad do you guys think this is, if bad at all
How bad do you guys think this is, if bad at all
I don't think it'll matter too much, from what I've gathered that question is more to help evaluate gap year applicants to see if they're doing anything that will add to their skills as a med student.Just realized for the "let us know what you'll be doing up until matriculation" question I mentioned the classes I'll be taking in the fall semester but totally neglected talking about my winter classes (although it will show up in AMCAS)
How bad do you guys think this is, if bad at all
When do y'all think the first waves of interviews will start rolling in?
I've been checking the sdn threads from the past few years, and if I had to hazard a guess I would say the first ones could start trickling in next week? Just a guess though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hope you're right!I've been checking the sdn threads from the past few years, and if I had to hazard a guess I would say the first ones could start trickling in next week? Just a guess though.
Complete this morning (I assume right after they acknowledged my MCAT date waiver) and immediately placed on hold for re-review. Definitely feels like an automatic thing.
What are some of y’all putting for your specific interests in GW?
Read through their website and see what interests you.What are some of y’all putting for your specific interests in GW?
On hold for re-review.