Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 George Washington
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
From what I understand is that they don’t reject this early in the process. They place the application on hold so that they may compare it to others later in the cycleWhat does it mean to be on hold? That's better than rejection right?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It’s not a rejection. Plenty of people from previous cycles have gotten IIs later on after being on hold. It just means you’re not the perfect candidate they’re looking for but they will still consider you. Or if you’d like to take the more optimistic view, especially for high stat applicants, it could potentially mean they’re waiting to give you an II until later because if you have already gotten an acceptance elsewhere, you would turn down their II. It would serve the function of not wasting interview spots on people applying to GW as a backup.What does it mean to be on hold? That's better than rejection right?
"On hold" folks ... consider yourselves lucky. At least someone has bothered to look at your application. I'd rather have had someone look and make some kind of determination than feel like I'm just sitting in a queue somewhere gathering dust in "complete" status for an eternity here, forgotten about!
"On hold" folks ... consider yourselves lucky. At least someone has bothered to look at your application. I'd rather have had someone look and make some kind of determination than feel like I'm just sitting in a queue somewhere gathering dust in "complete" status for an eternity here, forgotten about!
When did you submit? I would argue that having a "complete" status is most definitely preferable to being "on hold." GWU hardly ever rejects outright, so a hold basically means:
"We briefly looked over your app, but deemed it not strong enough for an outright invite. Thus we will add it to the growing pile consisting of thousands of other applications also on hold for random re-review throughout the cycle."
If you're still on "complete," that at least means you have a shot at an outright invite upon review (Which would likely be soon).
Submitted 7/20. Where does it show "on hold"? or do they email you? Mine just says "Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. " Hasn't changed since I submitted.When did you submit? I would argue that having a "complete" status is most definitely preferable to being "on hold." GWU hardly ever rejects outright, so a hold basically means:
"We briefly looked over your app, but deemed it not strong enough for an outright invite. Thus we will add it to the growing pile consisting of thousands of other applications also on hold for random re-review throughout the cycle."
If you're still on "complete," that at least means you have a shot at an outright invite upon review (Which would likely be soon).
Submitted 7/20. Where does it show "on hold"? or do they email you? Mine just says "Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee works diligently to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be sometime until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process. Please feel free to update your file during this time using the GW Admissions Portal. " Hasn't changed since I submitted.
You're fine then; they should get to your file soon. I thought you might've submitted like early July. If you get put on your hold, the text you bolded above is replaced with something like "your file has been reviewed and placed on hold for re-review at a later date."
But yeah being put on hold at GWU is basically purgatory, and from last year's thread they only begin re-reviewing on-hold apps in late September/October.
D
deleted1000095
When did you submit? I would argue that having a "complete" status is most definitely preferable to being "on hold." GWU hardly ever rejects outright, so a hold basically means:
"We briefly looked over your app, but deemed it not strong enough for an outright invite. Thus we will add it to the growing pile consisting of thousands of other applications also on hold for random re-review throughout the cycle."
If you're still on "complete," that at least means you have a shot at an outright invite upon review (Which would likely be soon).
This is one way to look at it, or you could view it as a chance to update, communicate, and advocate for yourself and prove that you really want to go to this school!
Annalise1110
Full Member
Do you (or anyone else) know how many times you can update the school on things? I have a couple of things I would like to send in now (e.g. forgotten clinical hrs, another shadowing op, new leadership position, updated class schedule), but if it only allows for one, I'll hold off until my grades are in for the upcoming semester.This is one way to look at it, or you could view it as a chance to update, communicate, and advocate for yourself and prove that you really want to go to this school!
I’ve sent 2 updates already and there is no limit stated on the website, so I think it may be unlimited.Do you (or anyone else) know how many times you can update the school on things? I have a couple of things I would like to send in now (e.g. forgotten clinical hrs, another shadowing op, new leadership position, updated class schedule), but if it only allows for one, I'll hold off until my grades are in for the upcoming semester.
Annalise1110
Full Member
Perfect. Did you just write in the message box or did you write an actual Word document and attached the file?I’ve sent 2 updates already and there is no limit stated on the website, so I think it may be unlimited.
I think somewhere on it says they want a pdf file. So I just wrote it in a word doc and saved as pdf then uploaded.Perfect. Did you just write in the message box or did you write an actual Word document and attached the file?
I personally wouldn’t update more than once before interviewingDo you (or anyone else) know how many times you can update the school on things? I have a couple of things I would like to send in now (e.g. forgotten clinical hrs, another shadowing op, new leadership position, updated class schedule), but if it only allows for one, I'll hold off until my grades are in for the upcoming semester.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Verified 7/18/19
Secondary Received 7/1/19
Secondary Submitted and Complete 8/10/19
Here's to hoping that the 2 week suggestion is just a suggestion.
Secondary Received 7/1/19
Secondary Submitted and Complete 8/10/19
Here's to hoping that the 2 week suggestion is just a suggestion.
For current students or applicants in the area: Any hotel suggestions? I'd like to stay on the on-campus one, but the rates are SO expensive for just 1-2 nights. I know the GW website mentions some hotels offer discounted rates, but does anyone know how much of a discount it is?
For current students or applicants in the area: Any hotel suggestions? I'd like to stay on the on-campus one, but the rates are SO expensive for just 1-2 nights. I know the GW website mentions some hotels offer discounted rates, but does anyone know how much of a discount it is?
AirBnB! I found a place nearby for like $30/night.
How nearby is your place? All the AirBnBs on my date near campus are $100+/night. A little cheaper in Georgetown and near DuPont, but not by much 🙁AirBnB! I found a place nearby for like $30/night.
How nearby is your place? All the AirBnBs on my date near campus are $100+/night. A little cheaper in Georgetown and near DuPont, but not by much 🙁
I wasn't too worried about being super close to campus because the metro is super good in DC. Mines about 20 minutes away via metro. But I got this reservation like three weeks ago.
I was complete on 7/5 and still have the initial complete message. No on hold status change or anything.
No idea what this means
No idea what this means
I was complete on 7/5 and still have the initial complete message. No on hold status change or anything.
No idea what this means
Same. What’re your stats?
Just noticed I was placed on hold. Does anyone know how to see when you were placed on hold?
Secondary received 7/1, submitted on 7/14, II received 8/9!
For current students or applicants in the area: Any hotel suggestions? I'd like to stay on the on-campus one, but the rates are SO expensive for just 1-2 nights. I know the GW website mentions some hotels offer discounted rates, but does anyone know how much of a discount it is?
Maybe look into hotels or Airbnb in Rosslyn as it's likely cheaper and it's one Metro stop away from Foggy Bottom on the Orange, Silver, or Blue Line.
BillyOsler
Full Member
On hold for re-review
When were you complete?On hold for re-review
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BillyOsler
Full Member
Secondary received 7/1, submitted 7/17. LM 72When were you complete?
malmed1025
Full Member
On hold as of today, complete 7/19, LM 75
rwayne5784
Full Member
Also on hold. LM 75. Complete 7/19
Mine says that’s my file is complete and that they have received everything in order to review my application. I’ve said this before, but I’m assuming that it’s going to remain that way until I get a rejection. I know someone posted earlier that theirs said complete and that it had been reviewed. Idk if mine will turn to that eventually or if I will just never be reviewed at all. Complete 7/9 I think.I was complete 7/2 and was never placed on hold... and my app has just been marked as complete for as long as I can remember... anyone else?
Mine turned to on hold with no "under review" statusMine says that’s my file is complete and that they have received everything in order to review my application. I’ve said this before, but I’m assuming that it’s going to remain that way until I get a rejection. I know someone posted earlier that theirs said complete and that it had been reviewed. Idk if mine will turn to that eventually or if I will just never be reviewed at all. Complete 7/9 I think.
II today complete 7/21
Last edited:
What's the main goal of this question?
Please provide the Admissions Committee with a brief summary of your activities, academics, employment or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours/week) from the point of application through matriculation in 2020. (750 characters)
I think if you are a student you just say that and any other activities (clubs, sports, volunteering) or if you are a recent grad explain what you plan on doing this year until you start medical school.What's the main goal of this question?
I am non-traditional so I briefly mentioned what I did the past couple years and mentioned what I hope to do in this upcoming year since i just finished a summer program.
What's the main goal of this question?
To tell the admissions committee what you're doing throughout the next year since most of your app would include stuff up until now.
Y’all really forgot English, huh?What's the main goal of this question?
Does medical scribing count as direct patient for GW's question, "7b. What is your most meaningful clinical experience to date, involving direct patient contact?"
first II today!!! complete 7/21 🙂
(anyone else interviewing on halloween?)
(anyone else interviewing on halloween?)
Is this question simply asking: "Do you have under-served experience?"
7a. The MD Program includes substantial content in Clinical Public Health (population health, health systems science, health policy, and community health) to prepare GW graduates for an expanded scope of practice required to be successful 21st century physicians. What are your specific interests and experiences related to that aspect of the MD Program?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's asking if you have interests and experiences related to Clinical Public Health (population health, health systems science, health policy, and community health).Is this question simply asking: "Do you have under-served experience?"
Like @rollingstoneshill said, not necessarily. I have a decent amount of experience working with the underserved, so that's what I included. However, public health encompasses a whole lot more than just the underserved. Learning about social determinants and understanding health trends on a macro scale are vital for any physician, whether you work in a glitzy private clinic or a free urban/rural clinic. Pretty much endless opportunities of what you can talk about. Hope that helps!Is this question simply asking: "Do you have under-served experience?"
On hold for re-review as of today. Complete 7/7.