2019-2020 George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
me, since 7/17. I wish I knew if that meant they just haven't reviewed yet and there's still hope. Last year, everyone I knew got put on hold.
I know right ugh it seems like most people had some kind of decision within a week or two since GW seemed to review apps super quickly last year so not really sure what this means (hopefully nothing lol)

I asked someone who got rejected last year, and they thought they remembered remaining complete the entire time and then getting rejected. If it helps, I’ve been complete since 7/6 with no change and now fully expect a rejection whenever they start rolling out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I asked someone who got rejected last year, and they thought they remembered remaining complete the entire time and then getting rejected. If it helps, I’ve been complete since 7/6 with no change and now fully expect a rejection whenever they start rolling out.
From what I was told, last year everyone got put on hold - there were no rejections until later in the cycle and they came from holds.

Members don't see this ad :)
:shrug: I guess we'll find out eventually. I will check back in if I ever make it off complete, but it's not looking like it!

Same here! I'm cautiously optimistic that there will at least be some sort of change since someone who was complete on 07/02 just got the on-hold status last Thursday

Apparently a lot of people got interviews after re-review last year so we may not be down and out yet!
After reading everyone else's comments though it seems that we may also just remain here until a rejection comes which is sad.

• Sad
After reading everyone else's comments though it seems that we may also just remain here until a rejection comes which is sad.
That’s just how the application cycle works. You’re either going to get an II or you’re not. If they were going to reject everyone with that status why would they wait?

That’s just how the application cycle works. You’re either going to get an II or you’re not. If they were going to reject everyone with that status why would they wait?
I'm just bothered cause if they're not actually going to re-review just reject instead of wait til March. Which is what most schools are doing now; and they only claim to review your application more than once.

There is a chance to be looked at again after theyve seen a lot more people come december. However, with the new AMCAS system not allowing schools to see # of A's, # of schools applied to etc, schools want to "hang onto" students incase come april their matriculation numbers are lacking.

I'm just bothered cause if they're not actually going to re-review just reject instead of wait til March. Which is what most schools are doing now; and they only claim to review your application more than once.
They do review multiple times. Look back at previous year threads and you will see plenty receiving interviews after being placed on-hold.

Reactions: 1 users
2º marked complete on 7/7
marked on hold for re-review on 7/30

Trying not to think about it too much...

Anyone else with an II or a current student has any advice as to which airport to fly into to minimize cost? I'm flying from the West Coast with a Tuesday II date, so I would probably fly in on Monday and leave Tuesday evening after the interview. Even for just one night, flights are ~$500 to fly into Reagan National :(
The only thing I would worry about with leaving tuesday is getting to the airport on time in case the day runs over, otherwise just go for the cheapest airport. If you have any points with airlines try and use those. I was able to do a direct round trip from the midwest to dc and only had to pay $11 in tax.

The only thing I would worry about with leaving tuesday is getting to the airport on time in case the day runs over, otherwise just go for the cheapest airport. If you have any points with airlines try and use those. I was able to do a direct round trip from the midwest to dc and only had to pay $11 in tax.
I've already booked a round trip flight that leaves at 6:00pm the day of my interview. Since I'm flying into/out of Reagan National (10-15 minutes away from campus), I figure I'll be fine, especially since I've done the TSA pre-check already. Hopefully the day doesn't run too long.

I've already booked a round trip flight that leaves at 6:00pm the day of my interview. Since I'm flying into/out of Reagan National (10-15 minutes away from campus), I figure I'll be fine, especially since I've done the TSA pre-check already. Hopefully the day doesn't run too long.
It won’t.

Members don't see this ad :)
2º marked complete on 7/7
marked on hold for re-review on 7/30

Trying not to think about it too much...

Same, been complete since 7/09, was recently marked as "re-review" (don't know the exact date since no email was sent). I know someone else who just got an interview though, with a 514.

Does anyone know what the conversion from re-review to interview is or was last year?

Anyone get a 'Your file is under review" before getting a hold?

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone get a 'Your file is under review" before getting a hold?

Are hold and re-review different? If not, then I am pretty sure I was under review before going to re-review. They never really sent an update through email though. I just checked the portal since everyone on sdn seems to have that label.

Are hold and re-review different? If not, then I am pretty sure I was under review before going to re-review. They never really sent an update through email though. I just checked the portal since everyone on sdn seems to have that label.

Yup I think hold and re review mean the same thing. My status just says “Your file is under review.” I’m guessing everyone else had this message before getting put on hold/re review

Anyone complete mid July still have the status, "Your file is now complete...etc"?

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone complete mid July still have the status, "Your file is now complete...etc"?

With 13.4k apps annually, I can only imagine that submitting mid july puts us within the first 3-4k....which is more than half of most other schools lol

Got a II earlier this morning after having the “Your file is under review” status

Edit: complete 7/16, LizzyM:68

Reactions: 7 users
Got a II earlier this morning after having the “Your file is under review” status

Edit: complete 7/16, LizzyM:68
Do you mind if I ask when your status changed from complete to under review? I am guessing that they probably use some sort of algorithm to first review people but my status hasn't budged so I am curious.

Do you mind if I ask when your status changed from complete to under review? I am guessing that they probably use some sort of algorithm to first review people but my status hasn't budged so I am curious.
7/7 complete. Still hasn’t budged. I still get the suspicion that I will remain complete until a rejection.

Damn on hold for re-review lol
Complete: 7/15

Was really hoping for no status change, but it really do be like that sometimes

Last edited:

I think my file changed to under review 1-2 days before I got the interview.

Ahhh gives me hope then, thank you so much!

Yea I’m also wondering the same thing...like can you just remain “complete” until they reject or will it eventually change to under review. My apologies if it’s been answered but I’m still very confused

Last edited:
Just got the on-hold for re-review and never got the under review status. I checked earlier today and then again just now to check something and saw it changed. complete 7/17

Just got off a waitlist for last cycle so I will most likely withdrawing my interview (9/10)
Congratulations. Now i can see How long the road is ahead of us. What were your stats for the past cycle vs the current cycle.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else complete over 2 weeks ago and still haven't heard anything (still have the initial complete status in portal)?

I've been complete with the same message for 3 weeks now. I don't yet have the "under review" status either. But no news is good news right?? That's what I tell myself anyway lol

I've been complete with the same message for 3 weeks now. I don't yet have the "under review" status either. But no news is good news right?? That's what I tell myself anyway lol
I’ve had that status for the past 2 weeks. I haven’t transitioned to the re-review pile. Does that mean they haven’t got to my app yet?

I’ve had that status for the past 2 weeks. I haven’t transitioned to the re-review pile. Does that mean they haven’t got to my app yet?

I'm not sure but I'm assuming that's what it is. People have said they prioritize EDP applicants and applicants with other factors so I just feel like they haven't gotten around to reviewing some yet? They do get a ton of applications too.

Again this could just be what I'm telling myself to calm myself down lol.

Anyone else interviewing for MD/MPH and/or Oct 3rd?

maybe helpful - on-hold for re-review, complete 7/14 Lizzy M: 73.5
kinda bummed cause GW had some great electives/their curriculum was in line with what I wanted in a med school

maybe helpful - on-hold for re-review, complete 7/14 Lizzy M: 73.5
kinda bummed cause GW had some great electives/their curriculum was in line with what I wanted in a med school
As if this hasn’t been said 2727192 times already, but that status means nothing. Take a deep breath and don’t read into it. If they were going to auto reject you they would just do it. That would save them a lot of time and energy.

Side note: 90% of my posts now are me telling people to calm down. Maybe it’s time for me to get off of this site

Reactions: 15 users
thats big facts just thought it would be helpful for others to have that info :)

Reactions: 3 users
For the most meaningful clinical experience, can I talk about shadowing?
Sure, if it is really your most meaningful to you. Just understand that literally every applicant shadows and probably had that same experience. Plus, shadowing is a passive activity. I would try to use something that involved active participation.

Anyone else complete in mid July with no changes to the portal status since?

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know how many acceptances they usually offer? I know they interview close to 1,000 and about 200 matriculate.