ayjaystudent

2+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Is this question simply asking: "Do you have under-served experience?"

7a. The MD Program includes substantial content in Clinical Public Health (population health, health systems science, health policy, and community health) to prepare GW graduates for an expanded scope of practice required to be successful 21st century physicians. What are your specific interests and experiences related to that aspect of the MD Program?

Jeremy Bearimy

30-50 feral hogs
Bronze Donor
May 21, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
It's asking if you have interests and experiences related to Clinical Public Health (population health, health systems science, health policy, and community health).

Reactions: SeaHusky
May 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Like @rollingstoneshill said, not necessarily. I have a decent amount of experience working with the underserved, so that's what I included. However, public health encompasses a whole lot more than just the underserved. Learning about social determinants and understanding health trends on a macro scale are vital for any physician, whether you work in a glitzy private clinic or a free urban/rural clinic. Pretty much endless opportunities of what you can talk about. Hope that helps!

HighYieldOnly

premed killa -> killa docta?
Jun 22, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
The on-hold soft R crew +pity+
They get bazillions of apps. The early IIs are probably for the super standout applicants and the holds are for us average folk that will (hopefully) get IIs later on in the cycle!

Dec 4, 2018
Does anyone know if some people just go straight from "file complete" --> R? Complete 7/17 and just getting antsy that my status hasn't changed to at least being on hold :/ plus I feel like I'm a strong fit here, would have at least hoped to be in the hold pool!

Nov 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone know if some people just go straight from "file complete" --> R? Complete 7/17 and just getting antsy that my status hasn't changed to at least being on hold :/ plus I feel like I'm a strong fit here, would have at least hoped to be in the hold pool!
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd much rather have heard nothing at all than be in the on hold pool. I fee ya there with being antsy. I got an II at GW already, but I've heard nothing from a bunch of other schools that I match the mission even better at, and submitted secondaries super early as well. I think it's all just a waiting game! We're at the very beginning of the game too!

Oct 27, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd much rather have heard nothing at all than be in the on hold pool. I fee ya there with being antsy. I got an II at GW already, but I've heard nothing from a bunch of other schools that I match the mission even better at, and submitted secondaries super early as well. I think it's all just a waiting game! We're at the very beginning of the game too!
I was pretty happy to be put on hold on Friday after submitting very early July. Someone earlier in the thread told me they remained complete until their rejection came in. I was convinced they weren’t even going to look at my app and leave me as complete before rejecting me. At least the on-hold makes me feel like I have a chance (even if it’s not necessarily true)

Reactions: AdductorMagnus
Mar 31, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I was pretty happy to be put on hold on Friday after submitting very early July. Someone earlier in the thread told me they remained complete until their rejection came in. I was convinced they weren’t even going to look at my app and leave me as complete before rejecting me. At least the on-hold makes me feel like I have a chance (even if it’s not necessarily true)
This is probably how they give a "slight favor" to early applicants. The ability to be reseen if needed

Reactions: AdductorMagnus

cacophany

2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2017
Sooo I know this has been asked before and it's definitely for my own peace of mind but...anyone else complete for over a month and still have the "complete status"? I don't want to be put on hold but I do want them to look at my app before the end of the cycle lol.

Reactions: amarandi
Jul 30, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Sooo I know this has been asked before and it's definitely for my own peace of mind but...anyone else complete for over a month and still have the "complete status"? I don't want to be put on hold but I do want them to look at my app before the end of the cycle lol.
I'm in the same boat pretty much! Been complete for about a month with no movement. You're not alone!

Reactions: cacophany
Jun 25, 2019
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I'm in the same boat pretty much! Been complete for about a month with no movement. You're not alone!
+1 been complete since 7/12 with no movement

Reactions: cacophany
Mar 31, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Same here, I'm contemplating sending an update but I want to give them one more week.. I'm very anxious! What are your stats?
I wouldn't send them an update for 3-4 months and it had better be worthwhile at that... its barely been a month into the cycle youre probably in a pile thats just taking longer. Otherwise you might just shoot yourself in the foot

Reactions: DocFactor
Oct 3, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I wouldn't send them an update for 3-4 months and it had better be worthwhile at that... its barely been a month into the cycle youre probably in a pile thats just taking longer. Otherwise you might just shoot yourself in the foot
Okay, I got a job and started a new volunteer position, so i wanted to update them but i'm just going to wait till next month.

May 8, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Okay, I got a job and started a new volunteer position, so i wanted to update them but i'm just going to wait till next month.
I don't agree that sending an update now would be shooting yourself in the foot. If they haven't reviewed you yet, those two things might substantially impact their decision on your file. And if they put you on hold, those updates will also show up when they re-review your file. I would only stray away from updates that aren't substantial/wouldn't really impact your app.

Reactions: greatjoyousday
Aug 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi, I was wondering if there are any current George Washington U medical students on this thread. I received an interview invite and wanted to learn a little bit more about the school, program, and the student life overall. Thanks in advance :)

Also, good luck to the rest of you... y'all got this <3

May 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi, I was wondering if there are any current George Washington U medical students on this thread. I received an interview invite and wanted to learn a little bit more about the school, program, and the student life overall. Thanks in advance :)

Same. I'm really interested in learning about what current medical students here think about how GW separates itself from Georgetown.

Jul 30, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Same here, I'm contemplating sending an update but I want to give them one more week.. I'm very anxious! What are your stats?
cGPA 3.59, sGPA 3.4, MCAT 511

Jul 11, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Just commenting for the updates. I'm also in the "complete early July and haven't seen any change in status" pool. Seeing the mild freakout from some of you guys has calmed me down somehow so I appreciate you all lol.

notadoc71

2+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
+1 Complete 7/29
I’m complete 7/28 and waiting for review. Below stats for them, but mission fits well and I’m really excited about them. I also started AmeriCorps and idk if it would be good for me to update them FYI I started, or to wait until I can actually write about it in about a month.

Thoughts?

Apr 5, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
After you complete your secondary application, we encourage you to keep the Committee on Admissions informed with any updated information, new grades, letters of interest, new achievements and experiences, or other important news.
Please use this page to provide this updated information. You will receive an email confirmation to let you know it has been processed and added to your file.
This is what is on the secondary portal. Make of it what you will.

Aug 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I’m complete 7/28 and waiting for review. Below stats for them, but mission fits well and I’m really excited about them. I also started AmeriCorps and idk if it would be good for me to update them FYI I started, or to wait until I can actually write about it in about a month.

Thoughts?
I personally wanted to wait until after I got out of the "under review" phase until I update them. And even then, I would wait until you can provide a really solid update, but that's just my opinion!

Reactions: notadoc71
Sep 16, 2018
Status
Medical Student

Hey! I'm a current MS1 at GW, and I'm happy to answer any questions people may have! Feel free to PM me for specific questions too.

My best advice would be to not stress too much about the things that are out of your control during the crazy application cycle. Ultimately being on hold vs no status update isn't going to tell you that much info, so just wait it out and hope you get an II. Having said that, GW really likes updates, especially from people post II, so definitely send those in when you have substantial updates, but don't submit them if you don't have anything to say. A substantial update every few months throughout the process should be plenty.

In terms of GW distinguishing itself from Georgetown, I think there are several big differences. Georgetown is clearly ranked higher and is more well known, but I actually know of people choosing GW over Georgetown for several reasons. GW has a huge focus on being a supportive, collaborative community. This means students work together and help each other out, and you have lots of support from deans and faculty. One of my professors who has worked at 5 med schools said that GW is the most collaborative that he has worked at, and the most focused on making "good physicians" rather than just students who will get good STEP scores, although that's obviously a focus too. GW also has a larger focus on public health and creating what we call "physician citizens," so if that is of interest to you, GW might be your best fit!

Good luck to all of you! Stay positive and you will make it through!

Aug 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey! I'm a current MS1 at GW, and I'm happy to answer any questions people may have! Feel free to PM me for specific questions too.

My best advice would be to not stress too much about the things that are out of your control during the crazy application cycle. Ultimately being on hold vs no status update isn't going to tell you that much info, so just wait it out and hope you get an II. Having said that, GW really likes updates, especially from people post II, so definitely send those in when you have substantial updates, but don't submit them if you don't have anything to say. A substantial update every few months throughout the process should be plenty.

In terms of GW distinguishing itself from Georgetown, I think there are several big differences. Georgetown is clearly ranked higher and is more well known, but I actually know of people choosing GW over Georgetown for several reasons. GW has a huge focus on being a supportive, collaborative community. This means students work together and help each other out, and you have lots of support from deans and faculty. One of my professors who has worked at 5 med schools said that GW is the most collaborative that he has worked at, and the most focused on making "good physicians" rather than just students who will get good STEP scores, although that's obviously a focus too. GW also has a larger focus on public health and creating what we call "physician citizens," so if that is of interest to you, GW might be your best fit!

Good luck to all of you! Stay positive and you will make it through!
Thank you for this! I'd love to PM you, however I'm new to SDN and don't know how @TarHeelMD?

Last edited:
May 3, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
This is huge for me. Thank you so much!

Reactions: TarHeelMD?
Jul 1, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm so sorry if this question has been asked before, just starting to panic and didn't want to look through 8 pages of posts. My portal says complete but I never got a complete or submitted email?? helppp

Reactions: ayjaystudent
Jan 8, 2018
I'm so sorry if this question has been asked before, just starting to panic and didn't want to look through 8 pages of posts. My portal says complete but I never got a complete or submitted email?? helppp
I just got an order confirmation for paying the secondary fee. If you check your portal, there should be a blurb saying that they have what they need and you're complete.

Edit: Added screenshot

Attachments

Reactions: probably_crying
Nov 22, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
So this interview is closed-file, right? Does anyone know if the interviewers are completely blind or do they just not know our academic stats?

ayjaystudent

2+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Do we not get a confirmation email of secondary submission for George Washingotn?

Sep 13, 2018
This might be a dumb question to ask, but do medical schools reject unqualified applicants during when the adcom invites the first batch of qualified applicants for interview??

Apr 6, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
This might be a dumb question to ask, but do medical schools reject unqualified applicants during when the adcom invites the first batch of qualified applicants for interview??
It typically depends on the school. Some medical schools will send rejections out in batches throughout the cycle while others are radio silent until the end of the cycle and then send rejections.

Reactions: AspiringMD0709
Aug 1, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
on hold 8/23 submitted 7/25

Sep 16, 2018
Status
Medical Student
So this interview is closed-file, right? Does anyone know if the interviewers are completely blind or do they just not know our academic stats?
If I remember correctly, it was completely blind. The interviewers know your name, but not your stats, extracurriculars, etc., so this leads to the interview being very conversational, as they are truly just trying to get to know you!