2019-2020 Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pre-II R

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know about the REACH scholarship, and how much is typically awarded? I got nominated for this scholarship with my acceptance and can't seem to find much information about it online. Please dm me.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know about the REACH scholarship, and how much is typically awarded? I got nominated for this scholarship with my acceptance and can't seem to find much information about it online. Please dm me.
All I know is that it's a fantastic achievement, so congrats to you my friend!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
also nominated and would appreciate any info!

• Love
Does anyone knows what HMS cosiders as need based. Like for a pricey school like this, is less than 100k a year need based or less than 20k? That really confuses me

If we have a 100k+ EFC are we fked?

I'm a REACH recipient. Feel free to DM me if you have questions.

• Love
Does anyone knows what HMS cosiders as need based. Like for a pricey school like this, is less than 100k a year need based or less than 20k? That really confuses me
If we have a 100k+ EFC are we fked?

CSS Profile is used as the EFC calculator for HMS, not the FAFSA. There is a link on the below webpage to a calculator to help you estimate your EFC. At HMS, "Tuition and Mandatory Fees Minus Institutional EFC Equals HMS Scholarship”. Therefore, if your EFC is above tuition and fees, you will not receive scholarship.

• Love
1. Do most students live in Vanderbilt Hall or off-campus?
2. Will there be a FB group for accepted students?

Reactions: 1 user
anyone have any luck accessing financial aid application? I'm into the portal but I can't find a way to access the app that was supposed to be released today

anyone have any luck accessing financial aid application? I'm into the portal but I can't find a way to access the app that was supposed to be released today

i'm having the same issue--it also says my fafsa isn't in yet but i know i submitted it. so i think it might just take a few days!

Congrats to everyone who was accepted or waitlisted at HMS. Believe it or not, there are many students that choose to attend other schools for various reasons. Rolling up on the tail-end of my time at HMS, I wanted to share some positives about the school that weren't really communicated to me during this decision-making process. Mandatory attendance aside, the grading scale at HMS makes it worth it. I have friends at other medical schools and seeing the difference in the things we stress about is eye-opening. Here is a brief breakdown of things that no one really told us when we got accepted but ended up making the difference for me.

First Year
During M1, the grading scale is pass/fail. There is no pre-determined pass threshold. They told us that if we were getting at or above 70% cumulative for a block that we would be fine. If for whatever reason, we had a lower grade, they would take into consideration other things such as attendance, participation, subjective evals by faculty. In reality, I had friends who scored around 50% in some blocks but never needed to remediate. If remediation is required, you are offered an opportunity to retake an exam rather than remediate the entire block or year, like other schools. There is, allegedly, no mention of remediation on your transcript, unlike other schools. There are also OSCEs that take place throughout all four years, with an emphasis during first-year. At other schools, the OSCEs are part of your overall grade. At HMS, they are not graded. And most importantly, there is no internal ranking. I have friends who went to pass/fail schools only to find out that they were still ranked, completely defeating the purpose of a pass/fail curriculum.

Second Year
The bulk of the second-year is the "principle clinical experience." This consists of our core rotations in medicine (12 weeks), surgery (12 weeks), peds (6 weeks), ob/gyn (6 weeks), psychiatry (4 weeks), neurology (4 weeks), radiology (4 weeks), and a year-long primary care rotation that takes place one afternoon every 2 weeks. At many other schools, these clerkships are graded on an "honors/high pass/pass/fail" scale. Other schools also have AOA (HMS doesn't), which requires you to reach around the 90th percentile on shelf exams to honor a rotation. At HMS, we are only required to get above the bottom 5th percentile (or 10th percentile for medicine and surgery) on the shelf exams to pass (this translates to around a 60% raw score). The shelf scores are not part of our grade and they are not reported on our transcripts. If for whatever, you fail a shelf, you have multiple opportunities to retake it without failing the rotation.

Third/Fourth Year
At the beginning of third-year, we sit for Step 1. We are allowed to take upwards of 3 months off for dedicated, yet it seems that most of my classmates took less than 10 weeks. After that, we do a mix of clinical electives, advanced science courses, and dedicated research time for a scholarly project. We are required to do a mandatory 4-week sub-i in medicine at a different hospital than your medicine rotation. We are required to do two 4-week AISC classes, which are just advanced basic science courses, most have a clinical component to them. We have a 4-week global health/social medicine course that is an extension from a first-year class. We do a 4-week clinical capstone class and then we are given around 3 months of dedicated research time for our mandatory scholarly project. During these years, the grading scale moves to "honors with distinction/honors/pass/fail." What is great about this is that we don't have AOA, so there really is no "honors." At other schools, only the top percentiles of students are eligible for honors. At HMS, literally every student could get an "honors with distinction" on a rotation. The best part out of all of this: grades aren't reported to residency programs. Hated your neurology rotation? Unless you are applying to neurology, the grade and evals won't be given to programs. When we apply, we get something called a DSA, which only includes the grades and evals for the specialties that are relevant to what we are applying to. For example, if I wanted to apply to neurosurgery, the only grades that are reported are medicine (reported for everyone), general surgery, and any neurosurgery elective I did. I can't tell you how much stress this grading system removes from the process.

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
i'm having the same issue--it also says my fafsa isn't in yet but i know i submitted it. so i think it might just take a few days!
Same position. It says FAFSA is not received but I sent it awhile ago. I think once it updates to "received" we will be able to access the HMS aid application and go from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who was accepted or waitlisted at HMS. Believe it or not, there are many students that choose to attend other schools for various reasons. Rolling up on the tail-end of my time at HMS, I wanted to share some positives about the school that weren't really communicated to me during this decision-making process. Mandatory attendance aside, the grading scale at HMS makes it worth it. I have friends at other medical schools and seeing the difference in the things we stress about is eye-opening. Here is a brief breakdown of things that no one really told us when we got accepted but ended up making the difference for me.

First Year
During M1, the grading scale is pass/fail. There is no pre-determined pass threshold. They told us that if we were getting at or above 70% cumulative for a block that we would be fine. If for whatever reason, we had a lower grade, they would take into consideration other things such as attendance, participation, subjective evals by faculty. In reality, I had friends who scored around 50% in some blocks but never needed to remediate. If remediation is required, you are offered an opportunity to retake an exam rather than remediate the entire block or year, like other schools. There is, allegedly, no mention of remediation on your transcript, unlike other schools. There are also OSCEs that take place throughout all four years, with an emphasis during first-year. At other schools, the OSCEs are part of your overall grade. At HMS, they are not graded. And most importantly, there is no internal ranking. I have friends who went to pass/fail schools only to find out that they were still ranked, completely defeating the purpose of a pass/fail curriculum.

Second Year
The bulk of the second-year is the "principle clinical experience." This consists of our core rotations in medicine (12 weeks), surgery (12 weeks), peds (6 weeks), ob/gyn (6 weeks), psychiatry (4 weeks), neurology (4 weeks), radiology (4 weeks), and a year-long primary care rotation that takes place one afternoon every 2 weeks. At many other schools, these clerkships are graded on an "honors/high pass/pass/fail" scale. Other schools also have AOA (HMS doesn't), which requires you to reach around the 90th percentile on shelf exams to honor a rotation. At HMS, we are only required to get above the bottom 5th percentile (or 10th percentile for medicine and surgery) on the shelf exams to pass (this translates to around a 60% raw score). The shelf scores are not part of our grade and they are not reported on our transcripts. If for whatever, you fail a shelf, you have multiple opportunities to retake it without failing the rotation.

Third/Fourth Year
At the beginning of third-year, we sit for Step 1. We are allowed to take upwards of 3 months off for dedicated, yet it seems that most of my classmates took less than 10 weeks. After that, we do a mix of clinical electives, advanced science courses, and dedicated research time for a scholarly project. We are required to do a mandatory 4-week sub-i in medicine at a different hospital than your medicine rotation. We are required to do two 4-week AISC classes, which are just advanced basic science courses, most have a clinical component to them. We have a 4-week global health/social medicine course that is an extension from a first-year class. We do a 4-week clinical capstone class and then we are given around 3 months of dedicated research time for our mandatory scholarly project. During these years, the grading scale moves to "honors with distinction/honors/pass/fail." What is great about this is that we don't have AOA, so there really is no "honors." At other schools, only the top percentiles of students are eligible for honors. At HMS, literally every student could get an "honors with distinction" on a rotation. The best part out of all of this: grades aren't reported to residency programs. Hated your neurology rotation? Unless you are applying to neurology, the grade and evals won't be given to programs. When we apply, we get something called a DSA, which only includes the grades and evals for the specialties that are relevant to what we are applying to. For example, if I wanted to apply to neurosurgery, the only grades that are reported are medicine (reported for everyone), general surgery, and any neurosurgery elective I did. I can't tell you how much stress this grading system removes from the process.
This sounds heavenly lol you guys have it so good holy crap

Reactions: 2 users
Are there any current HST students floating around this thread? I'm choosing between HST and Pathways & would love to learn more about HST :)

Has anybody on the WL received the follow-up email with financial aid information/the form to accept or decline the position on the WL?

Is HMS showing up on chose your med school for people yet? paranoid now haha

Is HMS showing up on chose your med school for people yet? paranoid now haha

Yes! I just checked right now. (*unreal*)

1583166530608.png

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone with an A to HST or Pathways thinking about affiliating into MD PhD? Would love to know I'm not alone in thinking this might be feasible...

Anyone with an A to HST or Pathways thinking about affiliating into MD PhD? Would love to know I'm not alone in thinking this might be feasible...

I hope to affiliate. Are there any differences between affiliating through HST vs Pathways? Do we get the same selection of labs from either Harvard or MIT? Is the only difference the MD portion?

I'm thinking that if I love quantitative research, but don't want to attend tons of classes (because I prefer reading materials/textbooks on my own), would the Pathways into MD PhD affiliation be more appropriate?

I hope to affiliate. Are there any differences between affiliating through HST vs Pathways? Do we get the same selection of labs from either Harvard or MIT? Is the only difference the MD portion?

I'm thinking that if I love quantitative research, but don't want to attend tons of classes (because I prefer reading materials/textbooks on my own), would the Pathways into MD PhD affiliation be more appropriate?

From what I can understand, HST is probably the more appropriate path due to the early integration of research experiences. It'd be roughly analogous to research rotations of a regular MSTP. I'm trying to do a PhD in the social sciences, so the Pathways curriculum is a little more in line with that. I wouldn't do rotations as much as preliminary grad classes.

I've heard that you pretty much get the same choice of labs between the two. I'd probably ask the MD-PhD office what would be the correct curriculum for you. They've been super helpful in discussing the affiliation process so far.

I wouldn't do rotations as much as preliminary grad classes.

What do you mean? So for HST, one would be fine chances to sample labs (“rotate”) while you, as part of Pathways, will have time to take grad classes in your PhD field? (I kind of prefer the sound of the latter as I would have a fairly good idea of which lab to join)

What do you mean? So for HST, one would be fine chances to sample labs (“rotate”) while you, as part of Pathways, will have time to take grad classes in your PhD field? (I kind of prefer the sound of the latter as I would have a fairly good idea of which lab to join)

My bad - terrible wording on my part. I meant in my particular case, I wouldn't be doing lab rotations because you can't really do that in Anthropology or Philosophy. Not meant to be a prescriptive statement. :)

I'm not sure if either curriculum is more conducive to taking graduate classes concurrently with MS1/MS2 years. That would be a great question to ask the MD-PhD office. All I know is HST has those research rotations worked into it.

I'm in a pretty niche field so I apologize if the info I'm forwarding isn't completely applicable. Hope that helps to clarify!

@boneitis @chaim123

I’m considering booking my tickets soon while prices are low. Do you think there’s any chance that HMS will cancel revisit weekend with the rise of new corona cases at BWh?

• Sad
  • Hmm
@boneitis @chaim123

I’m considering booking my tickets soon while prices are low. Do you think there’s any chance that HMS will cancel revisit weekend with the rise of new corona cases at BWh?

i’m tempted to call and possibly ask but I also dont want to give them any ideas!

Everyone stop cancelling :X3::X3::X3:

@boneitis @chaim123

Conferences and second look events have been cancelled throughout the country. While there has been no official statement, university administration released new guidelines found here. Currently, nonessential events over 100 are strongly discouraged. Personally, I would wait a week or so before purchasing a ticket, if you have not done so already.

I want to emphasize that nothing has been confirmed, and everything right now is pure speculation until you hear otherwise from Admissions and/or ORMA.

• Sad
Conferences and second look events have been cancelled throughout the country. While there has been no official statement, university administration released new guidelines found here. Currently, nonessential events over 100 are strongly discouraged. Personally, I would wait a week or so before purchasing a ticket, if you have not done so already.

I want to emphasize that nothing has been confirmed, and everything right now is pure speculation until you hear otherwise from Admissions and/or ORMA.

I concur with this. The situation evolved today and everything may change shortly. I'd wait a week or so.

Wait so should we expect financial aid packages to come out end of the month?

If HMS cancels revisit, let’s do an sdn meet up :cool:

• Love
Considering their recent decision to suspend all in-person classes and send all undergraduates home, I think we should be expecting the bad news any day now :(

• Sad
Has anyone tried calling the adcom office to ask?

Has anyone tried calling the adcom office to ask?
I figure they're def talking about it and will let us know ASAP and quite honestly are probably all more worried about figuring out how to move the med school classes online - i figure us bothering them won't help much

I figure they're def talking about it and will let us know ASAP and quite honestly are probably all more worried about figuring out how to move the med school classes online - i figure us bothering them won't help much

I can assure you they are talking about it. There's a lot going on, both at the school and the university as a whole. Everyone's health and safety will come first!

Alright boys and girls, looks like an SDN revisit meet-up will be happening

Anyone currently choosing between HST and pathways? What are some of your thoughts?

Anyone currently choosing between HST and pathways? What are some of your thoughts?

I am! I love the idea of HST but am a little unsure of being in lectures everyday 9-5 PM. I'm not a huge lecture person..

The match list is out! (somewhere on the forum)

and I think they will send goodies since the Virtual Revisit Form asks for the T-shirt size
:luck::highfive::luck:

• Love
Which forum?

:luck: Harvard :luck:

Anesthesiology (4)

• BWH
  • BWH
  • BWH
  • BWH
Dermatology (8)
  • Harvard