2019-2020 Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I saw this on my portal today: "Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your file will be held for further review later in the cycle. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February."

Does this mean they reviewed my application and are holding off sending an interview because of my lower than average stats?
I submitted their secondary on July 18th and was emailed that my app was complete on July 24th.

It’s practice for early in the cycle and they want to see more apps come in to hold yours against.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are about 40 US medical schools that accept DACA applicants. You can find that info here:

I don't have an official source for this years numbers, but you can find last year's numbers in this WashPo article:

The number of DACA students have increased at Loyola since then, however.
Yes, it's very risky. As I explained to other users who have PMed me, Loyola has an obsession with minority and DACA students. Many of these accepted minority students have lower MCAT scores and lower GPAs (you can make an argument as to why that's the case but let's not go there). In the current M2 year at Loyola, Over 15 students had to either drop out of school or repeat the entire M1 year (that's almost 10% of the class!). They were all minority students with low MCAT scores. Also, step scores at Loyola are abysmal, which is why they don't post them. Whether this is because of a poor education or the type of students they are admitting is up in the air (but it's most likely the latter).

Other years are just as bad if not worse. There were a lot of problems with the current M4 year in terms of failing grades and step scores. Loyola will defend this admission standard by saying that minority physicians are better able to care for the minority population in the Maywood area. So, Loyola knows its a risk to accept quantitatively under-qualified applicants because the potential payoff is that they can produce more minority physicians who somehow care more for minority patients.

I'm neither criticizing Loyola for their admission practices nor minority students (some of whom had to overcome significant hurdles); however, just take this into account when applying.
Are you a student/admin at Loyola?

My thoughts of Loyola are this-

1.) It doesn't have a poor education (as you already assumed, correctly). Step scores are at the national mean- which although isn't great, realize when you accept more disadvantaged medical students than most medical schools- that is going to happen. They bring down the mean (not saying this in a negative way, but this is pure math lol)

2.) Loyola is giving people that wouldn't normally be able to the chance to become physicians. Whether that is to improve the lives of these families of these students, to enroll more minority applicants so they can empathize with patients from the same background, or just for the sake of social justice. Sure, some of these students struggle in their transition to medical school. But they graduate. And Loyola knows that these students will struggle at the beginning and offer a crazy number of resources to get you back on your feet.

3.) Despite going against the grain and accepting students from backgrounds that affected their entrance qualifications, Loyola's MSAR MCAT is a 510 and GPA is a 3.64. Which is just around average matriculant.

It's a mission-based admission policy. They even make that clear from their own website. No, they do not accept every DACA/minority student that has a pulse- they give those that have enticing stories and show the academic fortitude despite the struggles they went through.

Good luck with the application process! Btw if you want to know Loyola's match list, email admissions- they are very transparent and they will send it to you with no hesitation. I would recommend waiting until after getting accepted so you don't seem pushy though lol.
No I am not in admissions but have very close ties to it.

Nothing you said is incorrect but I know for a fact that out of the 90 or so DACA students currently enrolled in medical school in the USA, around 50-60 are currently at Stritch. I don't know about you but that's a pretty strong bias for a group of people.
Take that as you will.

I'm a current med student at Loyola, and i can confirm that ~10 M2s needed to remediate classes because they did not pass their first biochem class of the year. To be honest, it's a lot of information at once, and I'm sure every medical school has a % of students who need to remediate. They are not all minorities, actually majority are not, and some had amazing MCAT scores and GPAs...so that statement alone is false.

I am also good friends with people who are white and have had below average mcat scores who got in because they come from really interesting backgrounds and are really passionate about helping to serve the community. Maybe like 35% of the students are from prestigious brand name (Uchicago, Stanford) and ivy league schools (Harvard, yale, penn etc). like 30% have masters degrees prior to coming here.

People in the media can twist information however they want, but I'm speaking here from experience. There are some really amazing people here, so don't let a person's comment on SDN defer you from becoming a really incredible doctor.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
I'm not sure where you got your info from but there are 15 students who will no longer be able to complete their M2 year (for various reasons). 13 of them are URM and 1 is Asian. Loyola literally put the class list out on the bulletin board in the hallway. Go check if you don't believe me.

I personally know at least 30 hispanic students at Loyola and one of them is DACA recipient. They are all extremely nice and most are much smarter than me. I was simply making a point that Loyola has a bias towards DACA recipients and that they are willing to look past quantitative credentials when accepting them.

Let's move on

i'm not really sure why someone as a self proclaimed pre-dental student is claiming to look at the M2 class list here at the SSOM atrium. As students here, we were all very curious as to which of our classmates needed to remediate, but i'm here literally every day and there is no such list. maybe consider that everything you post on the forum here is online, and you'll see all sorts of responses from students/premeds/faculty/etc. Your point has been made, but your motivations for bringing up this topic and making false claims are unclear.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"Wow, look at all the notifications for the Loyola thread! Must be a lot of II movement!"

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 31 users
oooooo you guys are in troubleeeee

Send out more invites, you cowards

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Not applying to Loyola this year but will be applying next year. I just wanted to ask what are the prerequisites that you need because the website makes it super confusing. Like 8 credits of Chemistry but 3 must be in organic chemistry. Does this mean if you took Gen Chem I you dont need Gen Chem II. Then it's also confusing because it states the remaining credits can be taken in any combo of biology, chemistry, physics courses. What does this mean?

Not applying to Loyola this year but will be applying next year. I just wanted to ask what are the prerequisites that you need because the website makes it super confusing. Like 8 credits of Chemistry but 3 must be in organic chemistry. Does this mean if you took Gen Chem I you dont need Gen Chem II. Then it's also confusing because it states the remaining credits can be taken in any combo of biology, chemistry, physics courses. What does this mean?

Attached is from Loyola's MSAR. They separate inorganic and organic chem requirements.

Those that received II, do you know what hotel you are supposed to stay at pre-interview? Thank you!

Those that received II, do you know what hotel you are supposed to stay at pre-interview? Thank you!
I don’t have an II but I don’t think you’re “supposed” to stay anywhere... any nearby hotel within budget should suffice... but again maybe Loyola is forcing you guys to stay somewhere idk haha

I don’t have an II but I don’t think you’re “supposed” to stay anywhere... any nearby hotel within budget should suffice... but again maybe Loyola is forcing you guys to stay somewhere idk haha

Yeah they suggested a list of ~8 or so hotel possibilities

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah they suggested a list of ~8 or so hotel possibilities
Yeah suggested for convenience or if you didn’t know where to start but if you found an airBNB (theoretically) like 500 feet from the med school, I don’t think it would count against you to utilize that option

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah suggested for convenience or if you didn’t know where to start but if you found an airBNB (theoretically) like 500 feet from the med school, I don’t think it would count against you to utilize that option
I don’t know where to start. Where is this suggested list? Thanks!!!

I don’t know where to start. Where is this suggested list? Thanks!!!

After you select a date, when you go back to the 'Your Interview' page, there are 4 links underneath the date confirmation. The third one down is 'Nearby Hotels'

If you guys can't find a cheaper option/airbnb, where I stayed during my interview was Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chicago West-O'Hare Arpt Area. Was clutch as they picked me up from ORD, drove me to the interview, and then even back to the airport for my departing flight. That in itself is like $50 worth of uber. Make sure to ask for the Loyola Medical Center corporate rate. I think it ran me about $125 (inclusive of all taxes) for one night though. Expensive but convenience was incredible.

Those that have interviews are you guys early decision by any chance? Was wondering since it seems like there’s not much interview movement here (but also early so prob that too lol)

Those that have interviews are you guys early decision by any chance? Was wondering since it seems like there’s not much interview movement here (but also early so prob that too lol)

I was not! No previous affiliations with Loyola either

My primary was submitted on 8/8, do you guys know how long it takes to get a secondary?

I might have not read closely enough but it seems like people who already have interviews were complete before the big 7/24 group if you were part of that?

My primary was submitted on 8/8, do you guys know how long it takes to get a secondary?
Impossible to say, many got them quick, but it may depend on stats or if they send them in batches. Possibility for Monday or Tuesday.

Everybody take a deep breathe it’s only August 7th. We have literally a year to go in this cycle. It’s all going to be okayZ

I agree! Current M1 here. My application was complete in early August, but I didn't get a II until February and interviewed on the second to last day they had invites scheduled LOL.

If you guys can't find a cheaper option/airbnb, where I stayed during my interview was Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chicago West-O'Hare Arpt Area. Was clutch as they picked me up from ORD, drove me to the interview, and then even back to the airport for my departing flight. That in itself is like $50 worth of uber. Make sure to ask for the Loyola Medical Center corporate rate. I think it ran me about $125 (inclusive of all taxes) for one night though. Expensive but convenience was incredible.

I am interviewing later this month and that is exactly what I am doing! The shuttle they offer to/from airport and interview is such a great feature of this place!

I’m a current M1 at Loyola. For students looking for a place to stay for interviews, Loyola has a student host program where you can stay with a current student. I did that for my interview and I’d highly recommend it. It was a great way to get to know Stritch and its culture, plus it’s free.

The suspense is getting to me... lol and it’s still early!

Reactions: 2 users
I was placed on hold yesterday, didn't receive an email and found out via the portal. I just wanted to give others a heads up. Good luck everyone!

• Sad
I was placed on hold yesterday, didn't receive an email and found out via the portal. I just wanted to give others a heads up. Good luck everyone!

I am new to this process. Is hold a bad thing? Best of luck!

Don’t give up hope!! May I ask when you got the complete email?

Anyone know if Loyola takes longer than usual to send out a secondary? I submitted primary on July 17, and called and they said it takes around 30 days. Was verified on Aug 8th and the office told me to wait till Aug 17.

Loyola will probably be a little slower this year compared to past cycles. They have fewer adcoms and app reviewers this year and they have implemented a new review system. Now, every applicant gets viewed by two reviewers instead of just one. Just be patient.
If your file says that you're complete then rest assured that you're all set and that you will be reviewed (not necessarily in the order of application submission).

Just curious as to how you found this out!

Anyone know if Loyola takes longer than usual to send out a secondary? I submitted primary on July 17, and called and they said it takes around 30 days. Was verified on Aug 8th and the office told me to wait till Aug 17.

I'd definitely give it some more time. Their admissions office is busy and don't need all the extra calls. You've been verified less than a week, that means they've had your primary app for less than a week. Most of us submitted our primary and didn't get secondaries for a month. Yours will come soon enough. Just pre-write the essays and be ready for when it does.

Reactions: 2 users

I got mine from Loyola about a week after verification. They may come out in batches every few weeks though, and I got mine on a Monday. Maybe check with them next Tuesday?

Check your spam folder. I was verified on a Thursday, got mine Friday but didn’t know till Sunday because all my Loyola emails go straight to my spam for some teason
I just got my secondary today and already submitted it. It has the same issue you talked about earlier in this thread of it saying that once we get your MCAT score it'll be complete. Did you have to do anything for that or is it automatic from your primary but just takes a while?

I just got my secondary today and already submitted it. It has the same issue you talked about earlier in this thread of it saying that once we get your MCAT score it'll be complete. Did you have to do anything for that or is it automatic from your primary but just takes a while?

Not who you asked, but my experience;
I submitted ~5 days after receiving it, and it showed me as complete on the portal and I got a complete email that day as well. So, giving it a few days may resolve the issue.

After my secondary was submitted, Loyola is saying my app will be reviewed upon receiving my MCAT score but my MCAT score should've already been sent? And I never indicated that I'm retaking. Did anyone get this after submitting their secondary?

After my secondary was submitted, Loyola is saying my app will be reviewed upon receiving my MCAT score but my MCAT score should've already been sent? And I never indicated that I'm retaking. Did anyone get this after submitting their secondary?

"Dear [Name] ,
Thank you for submitting your supplemental application. Your file will be reviewed upon receipt of your most recent set of MCAT scores. To avoid further delay, please submit your letters of recommendation if you haven't already done so. If you have any questions, feel free to contact our admissions office at [email protected]"

Thats the email upon immediate submission, but the next day or so youll get one that says under review and complete

It took 7 days for them to update my application to complete after I received the mcat message

It took 7 days for them to update my application to complete after I received the mcat message

Damn. I had less than 24 hour turnaround. You had all your letters in? Maybe im close enough to URM for them. Just kidding lol south asian squad unite

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Secondary submitted today.
Hope its not too late. All my other materials are in.

II! No email, just checked the portal. LizzyM ~67, complete 7/13.

EDIT: Holllllyyyy **** are the interview dates short notice. Available dates for me are August 20th, 27th, and 29th. Might have to cancel/reschedule one of my DO interviews for this :/

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
II! No email, just checked the portal. LizzyM ~67, complete 7/13.

EDIT: Holllllyyyy **** are the interview dates short notice. Available dates for me are August 20th, 27th, and 29th. Might have to cancel/reschedule one of my DO interviews for this :/
Stats if you don’t mind?

I’m a current M1 at Loyola. For students looking for a place to stay for interviews, Loyola has a student host program where you can stay with a current student. I did that for my interview and I’d highly recommend it. It was a great way to get to know Stritch and its culture, plus it’s free.
Do you have any information regarding the interview day itself? I was notified of an II on my portal, with no email from Loyola. What time does the interview run to (for scheduling flight home)? What time does it begin? I'm scouring the website for information, but either I'm completely inept, or there's a complete absence of relevant info lol