2019-2020 Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This sounds like a rejection coming soon :( “Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your file will be held for further review later in the cycle“

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds like a rejection coming soon :( “Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your file will be held for further review later in the cycle“
they don't reject until end of cycle I believe. This just means you were put on hold for re-review!

My file was completed like 2 days ago. I was placed in the until review but will re-review pile. How often do people from this pile get an interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the status: "your file is complete and currently undergoing a review by our committee.." remains unchanged until Loyola starts sending out pre-II rejections?

• Sad
My file was completed like 2 days ago. I was placed in the until review but will re-review pile. How often do people from this pile get an interview?
I didn’t know there was another status besides you’re file is under review

Does anyone know if the status: "your file is complete and currently undergoing a review by our committee.." remains unchanged until Loyola starts sending out pre-II rejections?
I hope not, but probably

• Sad
When did you submit your secondary? So you were complete 2 days ago, somehow already reviewed, and placed in the re-reviewed pile?

I submitted my secondary like a week ago but my recommendation letter wasn’t uploaded until like 2 days ago

I submitted my secondary like a week ago but my recommendation letter wasn’t uploaded until like 2 days ago
If you look at old threads, some people who got placed on hold got a II. So maybe it’s not that bad of a thing.

You completed your file 2 days ago (secondary, lor, etc) and you were already placed in the re-review?

Yea that’s what I was confused about. There must be something that pushed this person up so quickly
I literally submitted my app July 23 at 11:49pm and was placed on re-review July 24 at 10:04am.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I literally submitted my app July 23 at 11:49pm and was placed on re-review July 24 at 10:04am.

God damn. Hope youre at the top of the re-review pile then when the time comes. It almost feels like you weren't given a fair shot lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
God damn. Hope youre at the top of the re-review pile then when the time comes. It almost feels like you weren't given a fair shot lol.
LOL I'm just hoping I hear back from them soon!

• Love
I assume noone from the 7/24 complete crowd has heard any good news yet?

does anyone know if Loyola has a minimum volunteer/community service hours requirement for applicant consideration? I understand they're huge on service/volunteering so I thought this may be a possibility.

does anyone know if Loyola has a minimum volunteer/community service hours requirement for applicant consideration? I understand they're huge on service/volunteering so I thought this may be a possibility.
No explicit minimum... but having a lot would probably help your chances at being identified as someone who may fit in with their mission centered around service

No explicit minimum... but having a lot would probably help your chances at being identified as someone who may fit in with their mission centered around service

thanks for the reply! I only have about 200 non-clinical community service hours listed on my AMCAS, but I also have 200 additional hours as a middle school student teacher through my University's outreach program. do you have any idea if this would be considered community service in the eyes of adcoms even though I listed it under the "Teaching" descriptor?

To add onto ChooChooTrain5’s question, how do they look at paid clinical work vs volunteer? I have about 1300 hours as a social worker with direct clinical experience and I’m starting a part time job at a behavioral health hospital as a social worker while I study for a mcat retake. My volunteer hours are low though even though most of my work is with underprivileged communities.

I’m asking cause I know they want a really high number of volunteer but idk how they weigh that with direct clinical work.

Does anyone else no have a date next to primary application received, but their file shows “complete and undergoing a review”?

To add onto ChooChooTrain5’s question, how do they look at paid clinical work vs volunteer? I have about 1300 hours as a social worker with direct clinical experience and I’m starting a part time job at a behavioral health hospital as a social worker while I study for a mcat retake. My volunteer hours are low though even though most of my work is with underprivileged communities.

I’m asking cause I know they want a really high number of volunteer but idk how they weigh that with direct clinical work.

Honestly, you’re asking very specific questions that would be best answered by someone on the admissions committee. Just submit your application, if you haven’t already, and hope for the best.

thanks for the reply! I only have about 200 non-clinical community service hours listed on my AMCAS, but I also have 200 additional hours as a middle school student teacher through my University's outreach program. do you have any idea if this would be considered community service in the eyes of adcoms even though I listed it under the "Teaching" descriptor?

+1 on what @TSHJB302 said. We really don’t know what adcoms are looking for specifically and how they’ll view what you’ve done. Your activities and hours are what they are. I would just submit, keep ya fingers crossed, and hope for the best :)

Reactions: 3 users
It seems like they’ve been silent for awhile. I’d expect a heavy wave of IIs coming to an inbox near you soon!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Is there anyone else who submitted a committee letter with additional letters attached to the committee letter that only has a (1) next to the letters of evaluation part of the portal? I know they have a minimum of 3 so I'm wondering if they could have missed the additional letters I had attached to my committee letter and are counting all of them as 1? Just wondering if this could be holding my application up and if anyone has progressed through the application process in a similar situation.

Is there anyone else who submitted a committee letter with additional letters attached to the committee letter that only has a (1) next to the letters of evaluation part of the portal? I know they have a minimum of 3 so I'm wondering if they could have missed the additional letters I had attached to my committee letter and are counting all of them as 1? Just wondering if this could be holding my application up and if anyone has progressed through the application process in a similar situation.

I had the same issue because I had a committee letter. Send them an email asking them why your file is not complete. I got an email a few hours later and it was corrected and my file was marked complete.

I had a commitee letter with a bunch of letters attached as well that shows up as one letter. It still took me forever to get marked received because they were backed up... not because it was a committee letter

I'm just imagining someone staking out my workplace, watching me through binoculars and reporting back to admissions on my coping mechanisms.... :heckyeah:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Submitted my secondary yesterday, woke up to this email: "Your file is complete and currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."

It was sent at 2am, so my knee-jerk assumption is that it's an automated message, but it clearly says "currently undergoing a review" so I can't help but imagine the adcom staying up all night, probably holed up in a conference room with a box of sandwiches and another box of cookies....

Or else the M4s are doing some pre-adcom review between classes.... sleep is for the weak!

I am now resisting the urge to check my email every hour...

• Haha
Submitted my secondary yesterday, woke up to this email: "Your file is complete and currently undergoing a review by our committee. Thank you for applying to Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine."

It was sent at 2am, so my knee-jerk assumption is that it's an automated message, but it clearly says "currently undergoing a review" so I can't help but imagine the adcom staying up all night, probably holed up in a conference room with a box of sandwiches and another box of cookies....

Or else the M4s are doing some pre-adcom review between classes.... sleep is for the weak!

I am now resisting the urge to check my email every hour...

Maybe they will send us all rejections tomorrow to ruin our holiday weekend.

• Haha
So optimistic! I won't actually be worried until it's October and I haven't heard anything, it's just my sense of humor lol
I interviewed two years ago and didn't hear until february... it could be a longggggggg road dude

Interviewed today. The. Loyola. Effect. Is. Real.

Incredible, incredible day. In terms of friendliness and overall experience, it’s going to be pretty difficult to beat Loyola’s Interview day. Interviewed separately by an M2 (partial file, stats blinded) and a faculty member (open file), both of which made a huge effort to make the interviews stress-free and conversational. Just talking to the other interviewees made it clear that Loyola goes to great lengths to ensure they fill their class with people who truly fit their mission and vision. Lunch was probably as good as it gets, and the M1s who led my tour group volunteered despite having an exam tomorrow. Amazing facilities. In terms of OOS schools for me, Loyola vaulted to the top of my list. I could definitely see myself being incredibly happy being a student there.

• Love
Reactions: 30 users

Incredible, incredible day. In terms of friendliness and overall experience, it’s going to be pretty difficult to beat Loyola’s Interview day. Interviewed separately by an M2 (partial file, stats blinded) and a faculty member (open file), both of which made a huge effort to make the interviews stress-free and conversational. Just talking to the other interviewees made it clear that Loyola goes to great lengths to ensure they fill their class with people who truly fit their mission and vision. Lunch was probably as good as it gets, and the M1s who led my tour group volunteered despite having an exam tomorrow. Amazing facilities. In terms of OOS schools for me, Loyola vaulted to the top of my list. I could definitely see myself being incredibly happy being a student there.

so jealous! best of luck man

• Love
so jealous! best of luck man
Thanks man! Don’t lose faith (pun not intended); from what I’ve gathered, we legitimately were one of the first couple interview groups, if not the very first. The admissions people made a huge point to emphasize that their cycle runs long and that it’s not uncommon for people tor receive IIs until next year. Loyola receives the most applications out of any school; if you fit their mission, they’ll give you a good long look. Good luck my guy!

• Love

Wow! That's amazing. I don't know why I felt like I experienced the day through you. Really wish I get a shot to interview here it sounds amazing. Congrats man and best of luck to you :)

Wow! That's amazing. I don't know why I felt like I experienced the day through you. Really wish I get a shot to interview here it sounds amazing. Congrats man and best of luck to you :)
Thanks man! :)

The bonus was that the other interviewees were all amazing people. All of us were laughing and joking with each other throughout the day; being a part of a family-like atmosphere like that is huge to me. I was sleep-deprived af, and I really enjoyed the day despite it.

You got this. Best of luck!

Last edited:
II received this afternoon. Complete 6/1

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users

Agree with everything but ESPECIALLY the lunch. It was so good and I doubt any other school's food will come close! :)

Reactions: 2 users