2019-2020 Medical College of Georgia at Augusta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the second prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University

Members don't see this ad.

Back from last cycle (which I didn't end up applying for). Any of yall applying early decision?
I was really on the fence about EDP, but I ended up applying RD.

Also, spent the past year beefing up my application and now have research and a decent amount of volunteering.
However, I don't have clinical volunteering. Do yall think I'll be alright applying with little to no clinical volunteering?
It could be ok if you can relate your non-clinical volunteering to why you want to pursue medicine.

Current M2 here, feel free to ask me anything you’d like to know about MCG!

Members don't see this ad :)
What was the secondary like?
Was it just the questions from last year and a bunch of stuff about residency (taxes bills etc.)?
I think if you look in last year’s thread, someone posted the questions. Or maybe the year prior? I don’t think they’ve changed.

I looked through the past couple of threads and they've been pretty similar year to year. So just to clarify, it's generally those questions, a bunch of info regarding georgia residency, and nothing else?
Also, i'm waiting on my may 24th mcat score to come back but i'm done with my primary and have all my recs in. Should i wait till next week when i get my score back or should i just go ahead and submit? i feel pretty confident about my scores but i guess you can never be too sure so would i stand to lose a lot by waiting another week? would i fall significantly behind in the queue? i'm really torn on what to do
Submit ASAP. If you don't see yourself getting a score low enough to prevent you from applying, then just submit. Queue is starting stack up fast now.

Reactions: 1 user
just got my score back and feel like an absolute dumb ass. ended up with a 511 and my b/b score went down 3 points. should i apply early. i'm so deflated and upset with myself. i feel like my chances are so low
511 is wonderful! My class’s average MCAT was 510. Whether you should apply early or not depends on more than just your MCAT score, though.

i've always been dead set on mcg but i'm really doubting my chances of getting in. my gpa is barely above the averages (3.8's for s&cgpa). i think i'm just going to apply and hope that i stand out despite my mcat and gpa
I got in with 3.8s and a 505 MCAT! They really look at the whole application, not just the numbers.

Has anyone received a secondary yet from MCG at AU?

Current M2 here, feel free to ask me anything you’d like to know about MCG!
How does MCG decide which regional campus you go to for your 3rd and 4th years? Also, are there a lot of research opportunities?

How does MCG decide which regional campus you go to for your 3rd and 4th years? Also, are there a lot of research opportunities?
Tons of research opportunities, don’t worry about that. Any student who wants to do research, can. Third year rotations, you submit your order of preferences and it’s a lottery system. Fourth year, I’m not sure. I do know they give preference to students with families and children who need to stay in certain areas.

Reactions: 1 users
Are there student-run clinics, and if so roughly how many students participate? @stickgirl390
Tons of student run clinics. There is a women’s clinic, peds clinic, equality clinic, mental health clinic, probably others. There is a lot of participation, they usually fill up pretty quickly.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Do yall think its ok that I wrote about my ties to MCG in the "other information" prompt rather than the "diversity" one? I used the "other info" prompt to talk about why I wanna go to MCG and added my ties to the school bc it fit better.

Do yall think its ok that I wrote about my ties to MCG in the "other information" prompt rather than the "diversity" one? I used the "other info" prompt to talk about why I wanna go to MCG and added my ties to the school bc it fit better.
Did you get the supplemental application? If so when did you get it?

That seems fine to me

Did you get the supplemental application? If so when did you get it?
No they probably are pre-writing

Will they process my application and send a secondary if I haven't taken my Casper yet? This is the only school I'm applying to that requires it :/

Will they process my application and send a secondary if I haven't taken my Casper yet? This is the only school I'm applying to that requires it :/
Yes, they will send a secondary to all applicants based upon their website and info. Taking the CASPer is part of the secondary application and future steps. It is not required for a secondary application.

Yes, they will send a secondary to all applicants based upon their website and info. Taking the CASPer is part of the secondary application and future steps. It is not required for a secondary application.
Any clue as to when they'll send out secondary applications?

No idea yet. It seems like it is taking some time.

I got mine this morning. I submitted my application on May 31 and am applying early

Early as in early decision Dannyboy2019 and icecream79???

Anyone who didn't apply early decision receive a secondary yet? I submitted on June 1st and haven't yet received one.

As a side note, anyone know how low my chances are with a 510 MCAT? anyone heard stories of people with much lower than their average getting accepted? I feel the average may be even higher than 512 this year.

Anyone who didn't apply early decision receive a secondary yet? I submitted on June 1st and haven't yet received one.

As a side note, anyone know how low my chances are with a 510 MCAT? anyone heard stories of people with much lower than their average getting accepted? I feel the average may be even higher than 512 this year.

I know someone who got in EDP with a 509

Anybody know of anyone from previous years cycles that were accepted with <508 MCAT? On MSAR it says those scores are around the 25th percentile but I'm tryna see if they only consider people with <508 under super special circumstances.

Anybody know of anyone from previous years cycles that were accepted with <508 MCAT? On MSAR it says those scores are around the 25th percentile but I'm tryna see if they only consider people with <508 under super special circumstances.

If they're the 25th percentile it's definitely not out of question, I'm assuming you'll just need to have something that the people with 512+ don't to be competitive. Do you have a head turning EC or two? And is your GPA high?

Has anyone who isnt applying EDP gotten the secondary? This is my top choice so im a bit worried I havent gotten one yet.

I was accepted with a 505

I was accepted with a 505

Wow, congrats! Were you a traditional applicant and are you URM? Do you think there was something specific on your resume that caught their attention? I have a slightly below average score so I'me hoping to leverage the rest of my application but wonder what I should stress in interviews and such.

Hey y’all! I know this school favors IS. All of my family lives in GA but I live in a different state. Do you think this is strong enough ties to GA?

Hey y’all! I know this school favors IS. All of my family lives in GA but I live in a different state. Do you think this is strong enough ties to GA?

Hmm, I mean I think that's about as strong of ties as it gets except for having lived here at some point in your life. You should stress spending a lot of time visiting them or something like that and that you always knew you'd want to live here lol. I have to say that I still don't think you'll have much of a chance as MCG takes less than 10% out of state. But maybe you'll be part of that 10%! Do you have above the average MCAT and GPA stats?

Hmm, I mean I think that's about as strong of ties as it gets except for having lived here at some point in your life. You should stress spending a lot of time visiting them or something like that and that you always knew you'd want to live here lol. I have to say that I still don't think you'll have much of a chance as MCG takes less than 10% out of state. But maybe you'll be part of that 10%! Do you have above the average MCAT and GPA stats?

Thank you!! That’s what I was thinking too, I’ll still apply and see what happens. I’m right around average, also URM.

Thank you!! That’s what I was thinking too, I’ll still apply and see what happens. I’m right around average, also URM.

Okay, good luck! Actually to clarify, they only took 2.6% OOS last year, thats 6 students out of 230...and only 0.3% of OOS applicants were accepted. If I were you I would save my money if I never lived in Georgia, didn't have georgia in my personal statement, and didn't have 75th percentile stats for the school which would be a 3.93 GPA and 515 MCAT. Otherwise it seems just like a waste of ~$200 for the applications if you ask me.

Sorry if that sounds negative, but just wanted to give you the stats! Don't let me discourage you if your heart is set on applying! It's just that MCG is definitely on the extreme side as far as schools not accepting many OOS applicants.

Okay, good luck! Actually to clarify, they only took 2.6% OOS last year, thats 6 students out of 230...and only 0.3% of OOS applicants were accepted. If I were you I would save my money if I never lived in Georgia, didn't have georgia in my personal statement, and didn't have 75th percentile stats for the school which would be a 3.93 GPA and 515 MCAT. Otherwise it seems just like a waste of ~$200 for the applications if you ask me.

Sorry if that sounds negative, but just wanted to give you the stats! Don't let me discourage you if your heart is set on applying! It's just that MCG is definitely on the extreme side as far as schools not accepting many OOS applicants.

Thank you for the update & I appreciate you being real lol. I think you have good points! I applied to Morehouse, so hopefully I’ll have more luck there. Goodluck with your applications!

Has anyone who isnt applying EDP gotten the secondary? This is my top choice so im a bit worried I havent gotten one yet.
I emailed them 8 July and was told I should receive the secondary within a week. I still haven't received it yet lol. This is my top choice school too

Wow, congrats! Were you a traditional applicant and are you URM? Do you think there was something specific on your resume that caught their attention? I have a slightly below average score so I'me hoping to leverage the rest of my application but wonder what I should stress in interviews and such.
Non-Traditional applicant, Non-URM. I was also a reapplicant and was accepted on my 2nd attempt. I was a high school teacher prior, so that helped me stand out, and a near perfect GPA to balance out the MCAT score.

Any word from the lovely Medical College of Georgia at AU??

Just got secondary this morning, I'm regular decision. They added the question, " Please explain your primary interest in applying to the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University." .....guessing they probably want a better answer than "you're the only public medical school in georgia"

Just got secondary this morning, I'm regular decision. They added the question, " Please explain your primary interest in applying to the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University." .....guessing they probably want a better answer than "you're the only public medical school in georgia"
Where did you find the email spam or regular email?

Haha if you're so worried then just check your spam occasionally brah
yeah brah chill man, easy for you to say as you probably got an interview and the application already before all of us

That secondary took an unexpectedly long time to fill out lol. Oh well, at least it's free :)