2019-2020 Missouri - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today, OOS.

Wondering if its worth attending being an OOS applicant?

Reactions: 2 users
II today, OOS.

It’s definitely worth a shot. They accept about 15% of their class from out of state which can be discouraging BUT they are one of the few schools that lets you become IS and pay IS tuition after a year. If you got an interview that already means they saw something in you, stay positive.

Members don't see this ad :)
II today, OOS.

On top of this - you made it to the interview, and last year they interviewed only 75 OOS out of the 2000+ OOS applicants. Definitely worth it (I'm interviewing as an OOS as well)

Just going to do some minor venting and be pretentious for a second. My manuscript has been accepted for publication, AND I just had my interview this week. Bummer. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 user
Just going to do some minor venting and be pretentious for a second. My manuscript has been accepted for publication, AND I just had my interview this week. Bummer. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Did they say they were gonna send acceptances tomorrow?

I just got an acceptance phone call, interviewed 12/2. They said they are done for the month after today’s calls and emails.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone gotten the status unchanged e-mail yet today?
Wondering if they have sent that out yet.

Accepted IS interviewed October 16th! Very thankful good luck to you guys!

Reactions: 1 users
Yep... same.

Now we wait until next month haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten the status unchanged e-mail yet today?
Wondering if they have sent that out yet.

Same. All I could say for myself at least is that it could've been a lot worse given my interviews.

Merry Christmas everyone! And best wishes to all of us :)

Reactions: 4 users
Thought I would join the crowd and add my stats

Secondary complete: 9/30
Interview invitation: 11/18
Interview date: 12/10
Accepted: 12/19 :)

I am in-state and did my undergrad at SLU. MCAT: 506; GPA: 3.83; sGPA: 3.7. I was an emergency medicine scribe for four years with a ton of volunteering hours.

This was my top choice, so I am glad that I know for a fact I will be attending this school in the fall. I am also excited to meet everyone else that gets in. Good luck to the rest of you; I am sure you will hear good news in March :)

Reactions: 5 users
Have any of the people who have been accepted been added to the Facebook group yet? I got an email forever ago with the link and requested it but still haven’t been added yet.

Have any of the people who have been accepted been added to the Facebook group yet? I got an email forever ago with the link and requested it but still haven’t been added yet.
Yes, I was accepted within a week or so.

Yes, I was accepted within a week or so.
Hmm that’s so weird. I requested almost a month ago and still haven’t been added. I’ll just reach out to the admin office and see what’s up. Thanks for your response!

Hmm that’s so weird. I requested almost a month ago and still haven’t been added. I’ll just reach out to the admin office and see what’s up. Thanks for your response!
Yeah, I'm sure your request just accidentally got lost in the shuffle. No one's posted anything though, so you're not missing out on much. lol

II just now!!! IS applicant 509 MCAT, 3.88 GPA, lots of research :)

Reactions: 4 users
I am flying in from FL for my interview and don't know much about Missouri, what is the best airport to fly in to?

I am flying in from FL for my interview and don't know much about Missouri, what is the best airport to fly in to?

You have three options:

1. Fly into Columbia. The airport is 20 minutes away, however, it is a tiny airport and may only have limited flights for a higher cost.

2/3. Fly into St Louis or KC. The drive is probably around 2 hours for each. I think KC is a little easier because the airport is more rural than at louis’s which is almost down town. You can book a shuttle through MoX to get to Columbia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have three options:

1. Fly into Columbia. The airport is 20 minutes away, however, it is a tiny airport and may only have limited flights for a higher cost.

2/3. Fly into St Louis or KC. The drive is probably around 2 hours for each. I think KC is a little easier because the airport is more rural than at louis’s which is almost down town. You can book a shuttle through MoX to get to Columbia.

The St. Louis airport is on the outskirts of the city right on I-70, which is the road that you take to Columbia. From the airport, it'd probably take you about 1.5 hours to get to Columbia.

The St. Louis airport is on the outskirts of the city right on I-70, which is the road that you take to Columbia. From the airport, it'd probably take you about 1.5 hours to get to Columbia.

My experience is from picking up a friend several times, it just seemed busier. If you are being picked up from a terminal I guess it wouldn’t matter one way or another.

You have three options:

St. Louis airport isn’t downtown, it’s on the west end, which is good for you. Both are somewhat small and easy to navigate. You’ll have traffic on the drive either way. I would just go with whichever has cheaper airfare. (Out of MCI and STL).

I drove in from STL and this is accurate

St.Louis is the bigger airport so it will have more available times than KC. That’s important in January and February because winter weather can cause a lot of cancellations, especially if you have connecting flights. That’s also why I don’t recommend Columbia. They generally have two flights a day and if they get cancelled (which can happen especially for the flights from Chicago) You are kind of stuck. MoX will take you from the airport to their office pretty close to downtown Columbia and then it’s a pretty short Uber to your hotel/ wherever you are staying.

II today! 3.76GPA 509 MCAT. Super excited :)

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone know when January decisions come out?

Those of y’all who have already interviewed or know a lot about the school:

Are there any programs/aspects of the school that you really liked or impressed you?

Are there any things which you didn’t like or thought needed improvement?

Those of y’all who have already interviewed or know a lot about the school:

Are there any programs/aspects of the school that you really liked or impressed you?

Are there any things which you didn’t like or thought needed improvement?

I think their curriculum is nice, putting more emphasis on PBL instead of lecture for learning material. One thing that kinda sucks is that there is no dedicated studying time for step 1. Their average step score is really good though (~240) so I guess it’s not really an issue.

I think their curriculum is nice, putting more emphasis on PBL instead of lecture for learning material. One thing that kinda sucks is that there is no dedicated studying time for step 1. Their average step score is really good though (~240) so I guess it’s not really an issue.

I agree, i also really think i’ll like the PBL’s. Lol that dedicated step time is an oof. Another school I interviewed at has like a whole 6-8 weeks of dedicated period.

Hello all!

At the interview, they gave us a paper with instructions on how/where to send thank you letters. Does anybody mind sharing that information with me? I cannot seem to find my sheet.

Thanks and good luck to all of you!
I believe that it was a paper that had your interviewers' name and email address. I just emailed my thank you letter to each interviewer.

Reactions: 3 users

Dedicated STEP study time is probably something that will happen within a year or two. For this year we are getting an additional 3 weeks off between our Block 7 and 8, resulting in a 4 week block of free time, followed by a shortened (5 week) Block 8. Communication from the OME makes it seem that in the future they will shorten Block 8 to ~5 weeks and then give us ~4 weeks of free time on the end of block, so essentially mid-April to mid-May will be dedicated STEP study time. Also, they way Blocks 7 and 8 are structured it is not super inconvenient to study for STEP.

Hello all!

At the interview, they gave us a paper with instructions on how/where to send thank you letters. Does anybody mind sharing that information with me? I cannot seem to find my sheet.

Thanks and good luck to all of you!

Contact admissions and Im sure they can get you that info.

Dedicated STEP study time is probably something that will happen within a year or two. For this year we are getting an additional 3 weeks off between our Block 7 and 8, resulting in a 4 week block of free time, followed by a shortened (5 week) Block 8. Communication from the OME makes it seem that in the future they will shorten Block 8 to ~5 weeks and then give us ~4 weeks of free time on the end of block, so essentially mid-April to mid-May will be dedicated STEP study time. Also, they way Blocks 7 and 8 are structured it is not super inconvenient to study for STEP.

Thanks so much for the info! This is very helpful. I was told by student ambassadors during my interview that the block leading up to step is made a bit easier by the professors since they know people are preparing for step which is nice.