2019-2020 Missouri - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Idk I have a feeling that 4 unchanged could mean a soft R, but I am not sure tbh. What yall think? I'm getting really anxious over this

Sent from my SM-A530F using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Idk I have a feeling that 4 unchanged could mean a soft R, but I am not sure tbh. What yall think? I'm getting really anxious over this

Feel the same, but we're all ranked somewhere on the list so we're just never sure who's going to be admitted, rejected, or waitlisted :/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Feel the same, but we're all ranked somewhere on the list so we're just never who's going to be admitted, rejected, or waitlisted :/

Yeah, it looks like they’re down to 69 and 70 LM score applicants from what I read today.

Members don't see this ad :)

Not a soft R. That’s not how it works. You would be the very next ranked person. Keep your head up! There are schools where I feel like I don’t have much of a chance at this point, but Mizzou isn’t one of them.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, it looks like they’re down to 69 and 70 LM score applicants from what I read today.
Oh my gosh this is so inaccurate. You really think they are ranking us by our Lizzie M score? Seriously? I honestly believe they care about a holistic review. At my interview they knew my whole file and we didn’t talk about my blasted Lizzie M score we talked about my research and experiences in leadership and healthcare. If they interviewed you your Lizzie M score is “good enough.”

• Love
Oh my gosh this is so inaccurate. You really think they are ranking us by our Lizzie M score? Seriously? I honestly believe they care about a holistic review. At my interview they knew my whole file and we didn’t talk about my blasted Lizzie M score we talked about my research and experiences in leadership and healthcare. If they interviewed you your Lizzie M score is “good enough.”
Totally agree with this, LM score means nothing past the II phase

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Pretty sure that GPA and MCAT factor in to the score they give you after your interview. It’s not the only thing but it’s wrong to say it doesn’t matter.

Pretty sure that GPA and MCAT factor in to the score they give you after your interview. It’s not the only thing but it’s wrong to say it doesn’t matter.
It factors in but it doesn't make-or-break your file, the interview does

It factors in but it doesn't make-or-break your file, the interview does

The interview simply adds to your score you get at the end of the day after your interview. A 4.0 and 528 in a score based system will balance a bad interview because the score is cumulative. But since no one can score their own interview, it’s reasonable to make predictions based on what is scored.

The interview simply adds to your score you get at the end of the day after your interview. A 4.0 and 528 in a score based system will balance a bad interview because the score is cumulative. But since no one can score their own interview, it’s reasonable to make predictions based on what is scored.

I may be wrong on this, but from what I’ve heard over my 2 application cycles, good grades/mcat doesn’t necessarily balance a “bad” interview, but at the end of the day you never know if you had “bad” interviews or if you just misread them! There’s always hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received 3 unchanged emails before my acceptance. You might be within the Top 100, but just not near the Top 20-30 or so who get accepted before March. Don't fret! I'm sure you'll get that A soon :)

Yeah, most definitely not how that works. I was accepted with a mid-60s Lizzy M. Yes, GPA and MCAT matter, but I think it's important to remember that we all bring a lot more to the table than just our scores.

Status unchanged yesterday. I was finally able to sleep well this week.

To add on to yesterday’s discussion, I got waitlisted another school earlier this week post-II, and the feedback I received was interview-related. LizzyM does matter, but only to an extent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview coming up in 1 week, anyone have any information regarding the interview structure? Any tips to do well? I am actually getting really nervous :/

Interview coming up in 1 week, anyone have any information regarding the interview structure? Any tips to do well? I am actually getting really nervous :/
It's two 1 hour interviews so be prepared to talk for a while. Just know your experiences very well and be able to discuss specific situations from them when asked. Most importantly just stay calm be be yourself! The interviewers just want to get to know you.

Are there any current students or prospective students that are URM here? Or is there anyone that can speak to all of the recent articles about Mizzou and the need to diversify... or anyone that can speak to experiences of URM on campus? Feel free to DM me if this applies to you!

Are there any current students or prospective students that are URM here? Or is there anyone that can speak to all of the recent articles about Mizzou and the need to diversify... or anyone that can speak to experiences of URM on campus? Feel free to DM me if this applies to you!

Not sure if you interviewed here yet or not but within the folder they give you is a list of students from different backgrounds and their contact info. Might be a good resource for you!

Not sure if you interviewed here yet or not but within the folder they give you is a list of students from different backgrounds and their contact info. Might be a good resource for you!

Perfect thanks! I was asking because I have an upcoming interview so this is good to know!

Withdrew my acceptance today... good luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know if they do another round of acceptances in February or if we are down to the final round in March?

Does anyone know if they do another round of acceptances in February or if we are down to the final round in March?
I'm pretty sure they skip Feb and release decisions early March. At least that's what I remember being told at my interview.

I'm pretty sure they skip Feb and release decisions early March. At least that's what I remember being told at my interview.

Last year the “big release” was at the end of Feb.

Does anybody know the official start day of classes? Not the orientation start date, but the actual classes themselves? Thank-you!

If you guys haven't heard the news STEP 1 is moving to pass/fail starting 2022. You lucky dogs :p
My initial reaction was relief, but I actually think it's going to create a really horrible situation for the class of 2024 and beyond. Yes, Step 1 anxiety will go way down, but it's just going to be replaced with Step 2 anxiety since that's the only metric that will still have a score attached to it. I also think this will do a disservice to anyone not attending an upper tier school since prestige will likely become a bigger factor for residency apps, along with research, networking, etc. Plus, it's going to be so detrimental for DO and IMG grads since they're losing out on an objective way to "prove themselves" to traditionally competitive programs. I don't think Step 1 should be seen as the be all/end all of a residency application, but P/F just renders it meaningless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
My initial reaction was relief, but I actually think it's going to create a really horrible situation for the class of 2024 and beyond. Yes, Step 1 anxiety will go way down, but it's just going to be replaced with Step 2 anxiety since that's the only metric that will still have a score attached to it. I also think this will do a disservice to anyone not attending an upper tier school since prestige will likely become a bigger factor for residency apps, along with research, networking, etc. Plus, it's going to be so detrimental for DO and IMG grads since they're losing out on an objective way to "prove themselves" to traditionally competitive programs. I don't think Step 1 should be seen as the be all/end all of a residency application, but P/F just renders it meaningless.
I agree. And now I feel like unless I publish 30 papers I don’t have a shot so that’s nice.

Some students have been concerned about this as well. I think with all things it is very individually driven.

I have a family that I'm seeing less and less of with STEP studying. Not having to worry about killing it to get to whatever residency I would like would be a big relief for me.

I think this will move selection towards other aspects, but I don't think this is bad. STEP 1 should be "do you have the knowledge base you should have at this time". Just because someone doesn't score as well on it as someone else at some point doesn't mean they won't meet or exceed that knowledge basis eventually.

Whatever specialty you are interested in, let your activities in that area set you apart - core rotations, letters, away, research, personality. That what decides who matches and who doesn't, how well you fit within that program. I think those aspects should be weighted heavier and there be less of a cutoff because of a magical 3 digit number.

For Mizzou specifically, I think this is a good change. The STEP mentality here is very unhealthy. An above average score is our claim to fame and students feel pressured to maintain that by starting study even in December. The change to dedicated STEP study time along with this will definitely help in that regard.

Reactions: 4 users
Some students have been concerned about this as well. I think with all things it is very individually driven.

I have a family that I'm seeing less and less of with STEP studying. Not having to worry about killing it to get to whatever residency I would like would be a big relief for me.

I think this will move selection towards other aspects, but I don't think this is bad. STEP 1 should be "do you have the knowledge base you should have at this time". Just because someone doesn't score as well on it as someone else at some point doesn't mean they won't meet or exceed that knowledge basis eventually.

Whatever specialty you are interested in, let your activities in that area set you apart - core rotations, letters, away, research, personality. That what decides who matches and who doesn't, how well you fit within that program. I think those aspects should be weighted heavier and there be less of a cutoff because of a magical 3 digit number.

For Mizzou specifically, I think this is a good change. The STEP mentality here is very unhealthy. An above average score is our claim to fame and students feel pressured to maintain that by starting study even in December. The change to dedicated STEP study time along with this will definitely help in that regard.
THIS:love:

I disagree, the STEP score at MU gave state school students a chance to show they’re just as good as every other higher school student. It benefited them during residency placement. Now MU is on par with every other state school that before couldnt touch their STEP score, and therefore couldn’t help secure the same competitiveness for residency. AW0320 said it, school prestige is gonna matter a lot more now and MU is a state school.

• Hmm
I disagree, the STEP score at MU gave state school students a chance to show they’re just as good as every other higher school student. It benefited them during residency placement. Now MU is on par with every other state school that before couldnt touch their STEP score, and therefore couldn’t help secure the same competitiveness for residency. AW0320 said it, school prestige is gonna matter a lot more now and MU is a state school.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion (and that's okay, we can't agree on everything). Here's some thoughts from a med school applicant who has yet to be accepted to MUMed (I don't have as much ethos than Monkitty).

Who ever said that Mizzou is just another state school? Who ever said that prestige will be the focus? For most students state schools are more affordable than say SLU or other private institutions and maybe their only option to get a medical education. Why would state school med students be less competitive because STEP 1 (which is only one out of three STEP exams) became pass/fail? All specialties in medicine are important, and just tying one's test score with specialty of choice is a toxic way of viewing medicine. Specialties will still be competitive, and there will be ways for other students not attending T20s to have an even playing field (so as we hope). STEP 1 being P/F will not solve all of our problems, namely what will take its place or what will happen with residency placements, but being a former gunner (since my freshman year of undergrad I realized how shortsighted it is to compete and compare oneself to others) it is one small step to solve a toxic competitive classroom environment. Ultimately for that, it is the culture of education that should change.

And finally, MUMed has a innovative and unique curriculum which leads to great STEP scores (and clinical performance according to an interviewer I had). Standardized test scores do not (and should not) define how prestigious an institution is.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
I respectfully disagree with your opinion (and that's okay, we can't agree on everything). Here's some thoughts from a med school applicant who has yet to be accepted to MUMed (I don't have as much ethos than Monkitty).

Who ever said that Mizzou is just another state school? Who ever said that prestige will be the focus? For most students state schools are more affordable than say SLU or other private institutions and maybe their only option to get a medical education. Why would state school med students be less competitive because STEP 1 (which is only one out of three STEP exams) became pass/fail? All specialties in medicine are important, and just tying one's test score with specialty of choice is a toxic way of viewing medicine. Specialties will still be competitive, and there will be ways for other students not attending T20s to have an even playing field (so as we hope). STEP 1 being P/F will not solve all of our problems, namely what will take its place or what will happen with residency placements, but being a former gunner (since my freshman year of undergrad I realized how shortsighted it is to compete and compare oneself to others) it is one small step to solve a toxic competitive classroom environment. Ultimately for that, it is the culture of education that should change.

And finally, MUMed has a innovative and unique curriculum which leads to great STEP scores (and clinical performance according to an interviewer I had). Standardized test scores do not (and should not) define how prestigious an institution is.
I don't think anyone is knocking Mizzou or the quality of physicians it produces, just the opposite in fact.

Personally, I don't think Step 1 says anything about how good of a doctor someone will be, but I do think it at least shows who's willing to work exceptionally hard, and that's one area where Mizzou students obviously excelled. I know there are all kinds of crazy formulas PDs used to stratify their applicants, but Step 1 scores were always a huge factor across the board. It's just a shame to see that factor taken away when Mizzou students performed so well historically.

Yes, removing an objective way to compare students (Step 1) will shift the focus to other available metrics, but I can't imagine a scenario where "prestige" of an institution just doesn't matter. Is it the only thing that PDs will look at? Of course not. But I would argue that prestige will also influence other important factors as well... a letter from a big name in a particular field will likely be easier to obtain for someone attending Harvard, just because they tend to attract a lot of big names. Same for ease of obtaining meaningful research and networking opportunities.

I don't subscribe to a gunner philosophy or see my classmates as "the competition," but the reality is that many of us will be shooting for the same residency spots. So now, with even more focus on obtaining research and performing well on rotations, I worry that this change in Step 1 will actually lead to a more competitive atmosphere as students try to stand out. While I 100% agree that medical culture is toxic and needs to change (just look to the physician suicide rate for proof), I'm just not convinced this move will have the intended effect.

As long as residencies are receiving a thousand applications for ten spots, holistic review just won't be a thing. It's not realistic. We'll have to wait and see how PDs respond to this change, but I have a hard time believing that it won't hurt Mizzou students since it's taking away an area where we really shined. If I wasn't a part of the class of 2024, I'd find this whole mess fascinating... I'd be on my couch with a bowl of popcorn watching the drama unfold! But as one of the guinea pigs... it definitely makes me more anxious than excited.

I don't think anyone is knocking Mizzou or the quality of physicians it produces, just the opposite in fact.

I did not mean to hold that assumption against anyone. If I did, then I apologize for that.

Personally, I don't think Step 1 says anything about how good of a doctor someone will be, but I do think it at least shows who's willing to work exceptionally hard, and that's one area where Mizzou students obviously excelled. I know there are all kinds of crazy formulas PDs used to stratify their applicants, but Step 1 scores were always a huge factor across the board. It's just a shame to see that factor taken away when Mizzou students performed so well historically.

I agree with what you said about STEP 1. I also believe it is a shame in regards that STEP 1 is becoming pass/fail for Mizzou. But I do not agree that rendering STEP 1 P/F does not make "Mizzou on par with other state schools," as Justful Paladin said, because the PBL curriculum sets it apart from other schools and perhaps other metrics will show for it (but then again some of the metrics are subjective, which can affect what I said). I'm just a med school applicant so I can't say much about Mizzou or the potential changes with STEP 1.

Yes, removing an objective way to compare students (Step 1) will shift the focus to other available metrics, but I can't imagine a scenario where "prestige" of an institution just doesn't matter. Is it the only thing that PDs will look at? Of course not. But I would argue that prestige will also influence other important factors as well... a letter from a big name in a particular field will likely be easier to obtain for someone attending Harvard, just because they tend to attract a lot of big names. Same for ease of obtaining meaningful research and networking opportunities.

Prestige always matters no matter what you do, and I agree with your above statements. Perhaps I was not clear with my statement regarding students not in T20s still have a shot at residencies. I was just reacting to the perceived statement that STEP 1 being P/F further ruins it for DOs and IMGs, which I have a hard time believing that. From what I see, DOs and IMGs are traditionally at a disadvantage for hyper-competitive residencies and specialties (not trying to knock anyone down, I applied DO as well). Proposals like the merger seem to help bridge the MD/DO divide... Unless if I'm mistaken.

I don't subscribe to a gunner philosophy or see my classmates as "the competition," but the reality is that many of us will be shooting for the same residency spots. So now, with even more focus on obtaining research and performing well on rotations, I worry that this change in Step 1 will actually lead to a more competitive atmosphere as students try to stand out. While I 100% agree that medical culture is toxic and needs to change (just look to the physician suicide rate for proof), I'm just not convinced this move will have the intended effect.

As I said before I don't subscribe to the gunner philosophy either. I do not know what will happen with STEP 1 being pass/fail or whether if that actually is harmful or helpful. But shifting the competition from test scores to rotations/research sounds better to me, because with rotations/research your character and how well you interact with others are at stake. Trying to be cutthroat or otherwise being an butthole will benefit no one (and same could be said with tests, but at least you don't have to be on your best behavior). But then again, we'll see how that unfolds.

As long as residencies are receiving a thousand applications for ten spots, holistic review just won't be a thing. It's not realistic. We'll have to wait and see how PDs respond to this change, but I have a hard time believing that it won't hurt Mizzou students since it's taking away an area where we really shined. If I wasn't a part of the class of 2024, I'd find this whole mess fascinating... I'd be on my couch with a bowl of popcorn watching the drama unfold! But as one of the guinea pigs... it definitely makes me more anxious than excited.

As a future med student (whether MD or DO), I too feel some apprehension when something out of the blue like the GME merger and STEP 1 becoming P/F pops up. I'm not downplaying anyone's concerns or dismissing them, but for me personally, I want to succeed in med school and encourage my peers to do the same as well. We'll all adapt eventually even though the STEP P/F thing does not like the best solution. And the CEOs involved in this are not the most ethical people ever so who knows...

Some more thoughts (btw, nice discussion you guys are having, and thanks for keeping it civil!):
  1. Residency is almost always a regional thing. The vast majority of people tend to stay in their general area. In that regard "name recognition" isn't as big of a deal. All the hospitals in the surrounding states know who we are.
  2. If you want to do a super competitive residency at a super hot spot... you're probably going to the wrong school :/ Changing STEP to P/F I don't think will really have much impact in that regard for us. We are a state school. We perform well but even with a great STEP score, residency at Mass General is still going to be hard for us.
  3. Your away-rotations, letters, and clinical performance have more weight in getting you into a competitive field/spot. Aways especially are important, as it's essentially a mini-interview at a place you want to go and/or a chance to get a letter from someone big in the field.
  4. We should still be well positioned to excel via our curriculum even with P/F. An anecdote at school is that MU internal med interns at Barnes-Jewish in STL get thrown onto overnight faster than most other interns, simply because they are better prepared for it (PBL) compared to others.

This is of course all speculation and highly individualized. As someone not interested in anything super competitive and desiring to stay IN Columbia, this would have negligible impact on me.

I'm confident MU and our grads will be fine. Might people's strategy have to change? Probably. But for those folks who are really interested in those highly competitive residencies in competitive cities, I don't think a lot will change. They will still rock every aspect of their residency application.

Reactions: 4 users
So we got an email today from our class president about a webinar that is going to be discussing the P/F changes to STEP 1. I don't believe it's anyone official from NBME, but you can take a look yourself.

Not really sure what to expect. Probably going to be more of a sales pitch for their services than anything, but thought I'd toss it out to you guys.

1 week out from the big day! Best of luck everyone!

We will all receive an email on Friday, February 28th :)

Let’s say one of us gets waitlisted next week. Will they accept LOIs or another recommendation, or is it ”closed” closed, no exceptions?

Blair sent me an email and said we should all know by Friday...:happy:
Great since I have an interview at another school that day I won’t be distracted at all :rolleyes:

Best of luck to all of you! Can't wait to see who our future classmates are :)

Blair sent me an email and said we should all know by Friday...:happy:
Do you all think it will be Thursday because that’s when they usually do these things or Friday?

Does anyone know roughly how many spots are left?

Does anyone know roughly how many spots are left?
Because the class size is 128, and if average of 8 candidates were accepted every month from October to January, that leaves 96 spots. If I take accepted early decision candidates AND MD/PhD candidates into account, it would be around anywhere between 70-80 spots. But pls don't take my word for it lol this is just my wild guess.

Referring back to my post about the regionality of residency, here is a map at school showing where folks matched last year.

residency match map.jpg

Last edited:
That dont make sense bc this will accord at least 176 students, so at least 110 are left.