2019-2020 NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Seems like the hold email really was a sign of we like you but don’t love you.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! Seems like the hold email really was a sign of we like you but don’t love you.
i disagree but i have no evidence except for my gut. i think most of us w/ post ii hold are gonna get hit with an r wave in jan. they'll have a small wl cause yield will be so high

Reactions: 1 users
i disagree but i have no evidence except for my gut. i think most of us w/ post ii hold are gonna get hit with an r wave in jan. they'll have a small wl cause yield will be so high
I completely agree simply cause of the low post ii acceptance rate. But unless I’m mistaken everyone who’s interviewed has either been given the A or a hold since they’ve finished interviews and we should still have around 40 A left. All we can do is hope and pray to Dean Rivera, our lord and savior.

All the hold email means is that you’re still in the running. That’s what Dean Rivera said. I got the hold email the same day I was accepted.

I completely agree simply cause of the low post ii acceptance rate. But unless I’m mistaken everyone who’s interviewed has either been given the A or a hold since they’ve finished interviews and we should still have around 40 A left. All we can do is hope and pray to Dean Rivera, our lord and savior.
People have gotten straight up Rs (albeit, that seems to be the minority). I'm taking a hold as MMI score = good, but complete app didn't stand out enough for the A.

could it be the opposite as well- very low MMI but great app?
Doubtful. A low MMI means you essentially had a bad interview. I don't think schools are going to be like "you sucked in person, but your app is great, so lets keep you"

Anyone think there will be some As sent out this Friday. Last year people heard back on the 27th but I thought offices are closed till New Years.

Anyone think there will be some As sent out this Friday. Last year people heard back on the 27th but I thought offices are closed till New Years.
Honestly let’s all just plan on not hearing anything until after the new year

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This makes perfect sense, given how high their expected yield is. Still, mid January is very likely just when holds will convert to A, R or WL. They still won't know which of their A's are actually coming until their CTE deadline kicks in, so whoever is on the WL will either become an A at some point or remain in purgatory until then, which will undoubtedly be at the end of the cycle (3 weeks before orientation according to their website).
what is their CTE deadline?

I put my deposit in a while back to secure my acceptance and noticed my portal says "matriculated." I didn't just commit, did I??
Screenshot_20191227-123625_Chrome.jpeg

I put my deposit in a while back to secure my acceptance and noticed my portal says "matriculated." I didn't just commit, did I??View attachment 290770

Yes. You paid the deposit and accepted the offer of admission. Until you withdraw your acceptance you are considered matriculated.

I put my deposit in a while back to secure my acceptance and noticed my portal says "matriculated." I didn't just commit, did I??View attachment 290770

I was also confused about that, are we allowed to also have accepted admissions other places and still be considered “matriculated” at NYU

It is surprising that NYU has a fee for acceptance, especially when it is a free school and others which are not dont have a fee.

It said we just had 2 weeks before our acceptance was rescinded, and that we could refund it before april 30, so I figured this was not a commitment... I'm going to send an email and call Monday
I was also confused about that, are we allowed to also have accepted admissions other places and still be considered “matriculated” at NYU

Yes. You paid the deposit and accepted the offer of admission. Until you withdraw your acceptance you are considered matriculated.
But this doesn't mean I can't hold other offers of acceptance until april 30, right? This just means I am still considering NYU?

But this doesn't mean I can't hold other offers of acceptance until april 30, right? This just means I am still considering NYU?

We are allowed to hold unlimited multiple offers up until April 15. At that date, you will need to cut it down to 3; on April 30, you will either need to select one school to either "Plan to Enroll" (which means it is more than likely the place you'll go, but you may have a waitlist spot you're holding out for), or "Commit to Enroll", where you will be making your final decision and essentially forfeiting all offers and waitlist spots elsewhere. You can begin using the AAMC tool on February 19 (more info about the entire process can be found here).

All of this, however, is through the AAMC, and will only notify the schools you have there that you have made a decision, but not release the name of said school. Thus, you will still need to "Withdraw application" through the school-specific portal when you make your respective decisions. All this means is that currently you technically have made a commitment to attend NYU (and any other school you may be accepted to thus far) until you tell them otherwise (either on or before April 15 or April 30, respectively).

As long as you withdraw on the school and AAMC sides before the respective deadlines (but at the latest April 30) from any school you decide not to attend, you will receive the deposit back (assuming you had to pay one there).

This is essentially what you will get calling/emailing them, but if there is any additional information they provide, please do share!

We are allowed to hold unlimited multiple offers up until April 15. At that date, you will need to cut it down to 3; on April 30, you will either need to select one school to either "Plan to Enroll" (which means it is more than likely the place you'll go, but you may have a waitlist spot you're holding out for), or "Commit to Enroll", where you will be making your final decision and essentially forfeiting all offers and waitlist spots elsewhere. You can begin using the AAMC tool on February 19 (more info about the entire process can be found here).

All of this, however, is through the AAMC, and will only notify the schools you have there that you have made a decision, but not release the name of said school. Thus, you will still need to "Withdraw application" through the school-specific portal when you make your respective decisions. All this means is that currently you technically have made a commitment to attend NYU (and any other school you may be accepted to thus far) until you tell them otherwise (either on or before April 15 or April 30, respectively).

As long as you withdraw on the school and AAMC sides before the respective deadlines (but at the latest April 30) from any school you decide not to attend, you will receive the deposit back (assuming you had to pay one there).

This is essentially what you will get calling/emailing them, but if there is any additional information they provide, please do share!

OK, thanks for letting me know! I was mostly thrown off by the language on the portal...

OK they confirmed it's not binding- no worries

Received an acceptance phone call from Dean Rivera. Not impressed at all! Prior to my interview NYU was my dream school. New York and NYU mean diversity to me or so I thought it did. The lack of diversity was truly disheartening, beginning with the all-white male interviewers, I did not encounter one AA on the panel, tour guides or talks. Dean Rivera projected an air of arrogance. How unprofessional are you?? The Dean of Admissions wears jeans and sneakers to speak to the applicants?? When I asked the tour guides about it, they replied "he always dresses that way". All he talked about was tuition free. If you think we will base our decision solely on finances, you are sadly mistaken. I am so disappointed. Dean Rivera and the lack of diversity really turned me off to the school. Best of luck to all!
Lol dean Rivera gonna read this

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Received an acceptance phone call from Dean Rivera. Not impressed at all! Prior to my interview NYU was my dream school. New York and NYU mean diversity to me or so I thought it did. The lack of diversity was truly disheartening, beginning with the all-white male interviewers, I did not encounter one AA on the panel, tour guides or talks. Dean Rivera projected an air of arrogance. How unprofessional are you?? The Dean of Admissions wears jeans and sneakers to speak to the applicants?? When I asked the tour guides about it, they replied "he always dresses that way". All he talked about was tuition free. If you think we will base our decision solely on finances, you are sadly mistaken. I am so disappointed. Dean Rivera and the lack of diversity really turned me off to the school. Best of luck to all!

Made this account and all they've done is bash NYU. #GrainOfSalt

I got accepted today!! I had a really great experience at my interview day and am so excited :)

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I'm sure whoever is going to be taking your spot is going to be very excited and thrilled at your disappointment! Viva la difference!!

And thanks for sharing!!! Very constructive while reporting an acceptance.

Also, yeah, I'm sure nobody not eligible for need based aid is going to take finances into account at a T10 (there is no such thing as solely when you are talking about a T10, because it is, well, a T10, and in NY to boot!). :) The mere fact that you would even think to make such a statement shows that you are not full pay, and therefore shouldn't be opining on how those who do not receive outside funding should value free tuition.

Your post is undoubtedly the best news everyone bound for the WL could have possibly received, and I'm sure they only wish around 100 other people receiving As shared your views.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I'm sure whoever is going to be taking your spot is going to be very excited and thrilled at your disappointment! Viva la difference!!

And thanks for sharing!!! Very constructive while reporting an acceptance.

Also, yeah, I'm sure nobody not eligible for need based aid is going to take finances into account at a T10 (there is no such thing as solely when you are talking about a T10, because it is, well, a T10, and in NY to boot!). :) The mere fact that you would even think to make such a statement shows that you are not full pay, and therefore shouldn't be opining on how those who do not receive outside funding should value free tuition.

Your post is undoubtedly the best news everyone bound for the WL could have possibly received, and I'm sure they only wish around 100 other people receiving As shared your views.
Galaxy brain take: the poster actually got WL'd and is trying to prevent people from accepting their A's:eyebrow:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
The lack of diversity was truly disheartening, beginning with the all-white male interviewers
hmmm, is it "all-white male interviewers," or "all white-male interviewers" or "all-white-male interviewers?"
All I can focus on is this grammatical quandary.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
And they created an SDN account just to share all this with this thread. Right.
Guys, DONT FEED THE TROLL

Reactions: 5 users
Saw on twitter that they sent out some acceptances today. Since interviews ended a couple weeks ago, do y’all think that was the last wave before they start waitlisting? :(

Saw on twitter that they sent out some acceptances today. Since interviews ended a couple weeks ago, do y’all think that was the last wave before they start waitlisting? :(
They would probably include that on the Twitter post don’t you think?

Nothing but guessing but it would be weird if the day everyone heard back was just WL and R. But I guess if the portal is down then it’s most likely bad news

Some brave soul should call and ask if they could get an updated number of acceptances sent out

There are 110+ in the FB group, I bet most of the pre-4/30 A's are out

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users