Jun 30, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Jun 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes! Could you PM me about your experience? (Or if you’re comfortable, posting here would be great) I’m curious about it and am considering applying. Previously I had thought about applying but was so burned out on secondaries. If I applied, would my 3 year app impact my 4 year app and vice-versa?
Yeah more than happy to comment on it. Ultimately, it is a really good opportunity if you have a pretty solid idea of what specialty you want to go into before entering medical school. From that perspective, it allows for an earlier introduction to mentors in your field of interest, as well as time and cost saved by foregoing the fourth year, getting you to where you want to be faster. It also saves the stress of applying and interviewing for other residencies (although you are more than welcome to apply out if you desire).

The only caveat is that if you are applying into a competitive residency (i.e. plastics, derm, etc.), those paths will be much harder to get into for the 3-year pathway due to the limited spots and research required for some of them. When I interviewed originally, my tour guide mentioned that only one student had gotten into derm in the past two or three admitted classes (do not quote me on that though, it was a while ago). That is not to say it is impossible, but just something to be aware of.

If you are accepted into the 4-year program and have filled out the tertiary application, your entire application (I'm pretty sure; possibly only the tertiary) is sent to the residency program that you selected, and they will reach out regarding an interview. This trip will be reimbursed by NYU (up to $600). (Additionally, you can join into the accelerated pathway two other times, either at the end of your first year or the end of your second year, depending on how many spots are remaining in your program of interest.)

In terms of the actual interview, I was back for internal medicine and met with the director of the program this morning. He first walked me through portions of Bellevue while he talked about the hospital, the roles and domain of the residents, etc. From there, we went up to his office and had a more formal interview (which was completely conversational and relaxed, however) about my interest in the program, how it would look in conjunction with my medical education, and so forth (I ended up getting gifted a book lol). The entire process was about an hour, and was pretty fun.

Tl;dr I'd definitely recommend looking into the program if you have a pretty good idea of what you would want to do in the future (or at least a general sense) to save time, money, and get you being the doctor you want to be faster!

The-Medical-Mamba

2+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah more than happy to comment on it. Ultimately, it is a really good opportunity if you have a pretty solid idea of what specialty you want to go into before entering medical school. From that perspective, it allows for an earlier introduction to mentors in your field of interest, as well as time and cost saved by foregoing the fourth year, getting you to where you want to be faster. It also saves the stress of applying and interviewing for other residencies (although you are more than welcome to apply out if you desire).

The only caveat is that if you are applying into a competitive residency (i.e. plastics, derm, etc.), those paths will be much harder to get into for the 3-year pathway due to the limited spots and research required for some of them. When I interviewed originally, my tour guide mentioned that only one student had gotten into derm in the past two or three admitted classes (do not quote me on that though, it was a while ago). That is not to say it is impossible, but just something to be aware of.

If you are accepted into the 4-year program and have filled out the tertiary application, your entire application (I'm pretty sure; possibly only the tertiary) is sent to the residency program that you selected, and they will reach out regarding an interview. This trip will be reimbursed by NYU (up to $600). (Additionally, you can join into the accelerated pathway two other times, either at the end of your first year or the end of your second year, depending on how many spots are remaining in your program of interest.)

In terms of the actual interview, I was back for internal medicine and met with the director of the program this morning. He first walked me through portions of Bellevue while he talked about the hospital, the roles and domain of the residents, etc. From there, we went up to his office and had a more formal interview (which was completely conversational and relaxed, however) about my interest in the program, how it would look in conjunction with my medical education, and so forth (I ended up getting gifted a book lol). The entire process was about an hour, and was pretty fun.

Tl;dr I'd definitely recommend looking into the program if you have a pretty good idea of what you would want to do in the future (or at least a general sense) to save time, money, and get you being the doctor you want to be faster!
You think they’re looking for like super super experienced people? In the sense that if someone wants to do derm for example, they would’ve done like 100+ hours shadowing in derm, multiple years of research in derm with publications, etc.

About the Ads
May 21, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
did anyone get an A, R, or WL off the post-II hold list yet? been complete silence since my email in late october

Jun 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
You think they’re looking for like super super experienced people? In the sense that if someone wants to do derm for example, they would’ve done like 100+ hours shadowing in derm, multiple years of research in derm with publications, etc.
I think that they are definitely looking for a potential passion in the area, but it likely would vary from program to program. For example, Dean Rivera mentioned that the program directors understand that we are applying with limited experience (in most cases), so the more interested you are and can elaborate upon said interest, the more likely the program would be willing to take a chance on you. I think the ones that really require a lot of tangible research and so forth are being practical at the end of the day and realize that there are certain requirements that cannot be filled by verbal enthusiasm alone. I can't really comment too much on those fields in particular, however; this is mostly going off the general consensus I got from current students.

Oct 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical

This is great! Thanks so much for the writeup. From what you've said, I think this is a good fit for me because most of my experience leans toward one specialty. Do you think this app affects your consideration for NYU In general at all? I know you have to get into the 4-year before they consider you for this. I'll probably apply anyways, but I was curious as I have a post-II hold here.

Reactions: TheNmaitochondria
Jun 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
This is great! Thanks so much for the writeup. From what you've said, I think this is a good fit for me because most of my experience leans toward one specialty. Do you think this app affects your consideration for NYU In general at all? I know you have to get into the 4-year before they consider you for this. I'll probably apply anyways, but I was curious as I have a post-II hold here.
From what it seems, the 4-year MD committee is completely blind to the presence of a tertiary application until they have made their decision (I only say this because I had completed and submitted the tertiary with the secondary way back when, but had to "re-submit" it after paying the deposit). So I don't think it would really have an impact in any way.

Reactions: Abchtgawm

NYUAmbassadors

2+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Yes! Could you PM me about your experience? (Or if you’re comfortable, posting here would be great) I’m curious about it and am considering applying. Previously I had thought about applying but was so burned out on secondaries. If I applied, would my 3 year app impact my 4 year app and vice-versa?
The 3-year pathway app has no impact on your admission to NYU's traditional MD! Two separate entities review your admission to each program (of course, you have to be accepted to NYU before you can be accepted in the 3-year pathway program). If you guys have any other questions about the 3-year MD (it's a great opportunity), please feel free to reach out and we can give you more information/put you in contact with students currently in the program.

About the Ads
Dec 13, 2019
Back to back missed calls from a 212 number today, not able to call the number back. Odds that it’s NYU vs spam call? Can anyone who has been accepted speak to how long they wait to call back/update portal/email??

Jul 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Back to back missed calls from a 212 number today, not able to call the number back. Odds that it’s NYU vs spam call? Can anyone who has been accepted speak to how long they wait to call back/update portal/email??
Ooooo don’t want to get your hopes up but Dean Rivera did say he calls twice when giving out acceptances so it could possibly be it.

Edit: when did you interview btw

Punky Brewster

MD Class of 2024
Jul 1, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Wouldn’t he leave a voicemail after the second call?

kkweens

2+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Google the phone #!

Nov 7, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
This happened to me a month ago or so (back to back calls and all). When I called back it led to the NYU Langone operator. I haven’t heard back since, so I’m convinced it was just a really unfortunate spam call from a spoofed number. Hoping you have more luck!

About the Ads
Aug 10, 2019
I thought the Post II Holds were hearing next in January for A, WL, R?

Aug 10, 2019
They tweeted that some people were accepted on Friday (which is why I wondered if it could be them and not spam)! No idea if those are people who never got put on hold though
My guess is that they are still only accepting the ‘top’ of the most recent interviews and haven’t yet doubled back to the hold list. As such, they’ll be done with the interviews and first-pass-top Acceptances in January which will let them move to hold list review. But this is just SWAG.

Jul 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Can someone who was accepted PM me the number they got called from? I got a missed call from another NYC number but I’m currently in India so I don’t wanna use international minutes to call a scam number back haha

Aug 10, 2019
Can someone who was accepted PM me the number they got called from? I got a missed call from another NYC number but I’m currently in India so I don’t wanna use international minutes to call a scam number back haha
You’ve spent thousands of dollars applying to schools, and you won’t spend a couple of bucks to call back?

Aug 10, 2019
Not everyone has the money...many get waivers to apply. This sounds so entitled and reeks of privilege, and can be very hurtful to many of us here.
No matter how you slice it, it’s still penny wise and pound foolish.
Even with aid, the post essentially said should I call or not spend the minutes.

Jul 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Agreed! I’m not even someone who got a few waiver but I’ve never understood the attitude that having spent a lot of money means that you shouldn’t ever try to save a little!

Anyway I tried to call back but every time it’s said “user busy” so not sure y’all! Also one accepted user PMed me and it is a different number.
Not everyone has the money...many get waivers to apply. This sounds so entitled and reeks of privilege, and can be very hurtful to many of us here.

About the Ads
Jun 30, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
anyone know how many acceptances they're up to? can't be more than like 30 left now i imagine

Jun 30, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Why 30? Most NYU acceptances are offered after February. Only a small percentage are rolling.
im talking about initial acceptances, and the last number i heard was about 70/110. so i imagine it's up to 80 or so by now

Aug 10, 2019
im talking about initial acceptances, and the last number i heard was about 70/110. so i imagine it's up to 80 or so by now
Sounds about right.
When / where did you hear ~70?
A week or so ago some on SDN said about ~56.
Do we know when their interview dates end? I estimated about 20-30 of the first 110 come from the post II hold list, then the remaining 40 or so acceptances late in the season.

TheDataKing

lover of #s and stats
Bronze Donor
May 16, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Sounds about right.
Do we know when their interview dates end? I estimated about 20-30 of the first 110 come from the post II hold list, then the remaining 40 or so acceptances late in the season.
monkaW.png
honestly curious, how do you have so much time to do this?

Feb 19, 2019
Status
Medical Student
Sounds about right.
Interviews ended 12/12. They're sending out a total of 110 acceptances as of mid-January. As people begin to withdraw/turn down acceptances, they'll start extending additional acceptances to people on the waitlist.

About the Ads