2019-2020 NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the impression that once you’re interviewed at NYU, the decision to admit or reject or hold is based on the MMI score

On my interview day the dean said they review your whole app again!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Back to back missed calls from a 212 number today, not able to call the number back. Odds that it’s NYU vs spam call? Can anyone who has been accepted speak to how long they wait to call back/update portal/email??

Back to back missed calls from a 212 number today, not able to call the number back. Odds that it’s NYU vs spam call? Can anyone who has been accepted speak to how long they wait to call back/update portal/email??
Ooooo don’t want to get your hopes up but Dean Rivera did say he calls twice when giving out acceptances so it could possibly be it.

Edit: when did you interview btw

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Wouldn’t he leave a voicemail after the second call?

Google the phone #!

This happened to me a month ago or so (back to back calls and all). When I called back it led to the NYU Langone operator. I haven’t heard back since, so I’m convinced it was just a really unfortunate spam call from a spoofed number. Hoping you have more luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll rephrase, I didn't think any post-II Hold people have heard anything yet :)
They tweeted that some people were accepted on Friday (which is why I wondered if it could be them and not spam)! No idea if those are people who never got put on hold though

They tweeted that some people were accepted on Friday (which is why I wondered if it could be them and not spam)! No idea if those are people who never got put on hold though
My guess is that they are still only accepting the ‘top’ of the most recent interviews and haven’t yet doubled back to the hold list. As such, they’ll be done with the interviews and first-pass-top Acceptances in January which will let them move to hold list review. But this is just SWAG.

Can someone who was accepted PM me the number they got called from? I got a missed call from another NYC number but I’m currently in India so I don’t wanna use international minutes to call a scam number back haha

Can someone who was accepted PM me the number they got called from? I got a missed call from another NYC number but I’m currently in India so I don’t wanna use international minutes to call a scam number back haha
You’ve spent thousands of dollars applying to schools, and you won’t spend a couple of bucks to call back?

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users
You’ve spent thousands of dollars applying to schools, and you won’t spend a couple of bucks to call back?
Not everyone has the money...many get waivers to apply. This sounds so entitled and reeks of privilege, and can be very hurtful to many of us here.

Reactions: 11 users
Not everyone has the money...many get waivers to apply. This sounds so entitled and reeks of privilege, and can be very hurtful to many of us here.
No matter how you slice it, it’s still penny wise and pound foolish.
Even with aid, the post essentially said should I call or not spend the minutes.

Agreed! I’m not even someone who got a few waiver but I’ve never understood the attitude that having spent a lot of money means that you shouldn’t ever try to save a little!

Anyway I tried to call back but every time it’s said “user busy” so not sure y’all! Also one accepted user PMed me and it is a different number.

No matter how you slice it, it’s still penny wise and pound foolish.
Even with aid, the post essentially said should I call or not spend the minutes.
giphy.gif

Guys I finally had a call go through and actually dial but then they didn’t pick up and then I called again and I got user busy! Really quite a thrilling saga I don’t know what to make of it

• Wow
Guys I finally had a call go through and actually dial but then they didn’t pick up and then I called again and I got user busy! Really quite a thrilling saga I don’t know what to make of it

Did you google the number?

Reactions: 1 user
If it helps, Dean Rivera emailed me to schedule a time to talk when he couldn't reach me on my cell.

Reactions: 8 users
Got accepted a few days ago!!!!!! Took some time away from SDN to celebrate with my family, I interviewed near the middle/end of November. Absolutely great feeling getting the news!!!!!!!!!! Good luck to everyone

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
anyone know how many acceptances they're up to? can't be more than like 30 left now i imagine

anyone know how many acceptances they're up to? can't be more than like 30 left now i imagine

In the accepted FB group, there’s 78 of us but there are also a lot of current students in the group (Idk if that’s helpful haha)

Why 30? Most NYU acceptances are offered after February. Only a small percentage are rolling.

Why 30? Most NYU acceptances are offered after February. Only a small percentage are rolling.
im talking about initial acceptances, and the last number i heard was about 70/110. so i imagine it's up to 80 or so by now

my envy:happiness ratio is shifting dangerously as these slots fill up :eek:

• Sad
im talking about initial acceptances, and the last number i heard was about 70/110. so i imagine it's up to 80 or so by now
Sounds about right.
When / where did you hear ~70?
A week or so ago some on SDN said about ~56.
Do we know when their interview dates end? I estimated about 20-30 of the first 110 come from the post II hold list, then the remaining 40 or so acceptances late in the season.

Sounds about right.
Do we know when their interview dates end? I estimated about 20-30 of the first 110 come from the post II hold list, then the remaining 40 or so acceptances late in the season.
monkaW.png

honestly curious, how do you have so much time to do this?

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Sounds about right.
Interviews ended 12/12. They're sending out a total of 110 acceptances as of mid-January. As people begin to withdraw/turn down acceptances, they'll start extending additional acceptances to people on the waitlist.

Last week (week of 9/12) when I interviewed, the dean said they’d accepted 58. So there’s at least 52 acceptances left or so. 30 is way overblown

Reactions: 5 users
Last week (week of 9/12) when I interviewed, the dean said they’d accepted 58. So there’s at least 52 acceptances left or so. 30 is way overblown
Ew did you just put the day in front of the month. This is AMERICA and we speak AMERICAN here.

Edit: thanks for the helpful info btw lol

• Haha
Interviews ended 12/12. They're sending out a total of 110 acceptances as of mid-January. As people begin to withdraw/turn down acceptances, they'll start extending additional acceptances to people on the waitlist.

Thanks. So after the Dec 13 and 20th end of Interview Acceptances, the corrected number for January Acceptances is closer to 45-50!

So I haven't received a follow-up email saying that my application is under review post interview. I thought Dean Rivera said that we would receive an update email.

Edit: placed on post Interview hold.

Last edited:
So I haven't received a follow-up email saying that my application is under review post interview. I thought Dean Rivera said that we would receive an update email.

Edit: placed on post Interview hold.
Same. This could mean we’ve been reviewed and passed over right? Like not good enough for an outright acceptance?

Same. This could mean we’ve been reviewed and passed over right? Like not good enough for an outright acceptance?

I don't know. I mean NYU was a long shot for me anyways, so I am not surprised. Gotta keep expectations really low. At least, I know this chapter is close to being over.

Rejected post-ii, interviewed early December!!
I thought it was a hold email at first and I was ECSTATIC and then I read it and was like
330036A0-F1DC-47F8-A59A-1F8805136A43.png

*insert circus music*

• Sad
Reactions: 14 users
post-II hold earlier today. interviewed second week of December.

Reactions: 1 user