Jun 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Admitted MSTP yesterday- is there a fb page?
There's one for the Class of 2024; was there no link in the email that you received?

Reactions: babykarat
About the Ads
Jul 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
So do you have to crush the mmi in order to get the A here. Seems like it’ll be impossible to filter so many students for so many few seats

Edit: also just to keep everyone informed. There are currently 57/110 offers of admission sent so far

Double edit: Dean Rivera really is as funny as everyone says. Also no hate to other deans but it was refreshing to see a non old white man as the dean of admissions

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
is 110 what they expect to offer including after waitlist?

Mar 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
So do you have to crush the mmi in order to get the A here. Seems like it’ll be impossible to filter so many students for so many few seats

Edit: also just to keep everyone informed. There are currently 57/110 offers of admission sent so far

Double edit: Dean Rivera really is as funny as everyone says. Also no hate to other deans but it was refreshing to see a non old white man as the dean of admissions
This seems to be the age-old question on SDN - why do you think students aren't already stratified by the rest of their application, and the interview isn't just one more input, rather than the interview being the decider? You are absolutely correct about it being impossible to filter over 1,000 down to 100 based on the MMI, but I really don't think that's how it works.

Reactions: blurb_123
About the Ads
Jul 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
This seems to be the age-old question on SDN - why do you think students aren't already stratified by the rest of their application, and the interview isn't just one more input, rather than the interview being the decider? You are absolutely correct about it being impossible to filter over 1,000 down to 100 based on the MMI, but I really don't think that's how it works.
You’re right. My neuroticism was showing my bad

• Haha
Reactions: KnightDoc
Jul 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Also side question: I will be leaving the country for a month and won’t be able to receive calls but I will have limited access to the internet. I know Rivera calls people (like I’ll even get a call lol) so should I be notifying NYU and other schools I’ll be gone? They’ll just send me an email if I miss a call right?

Aug 10, 2019
Also side question: I will be leaving the country for a month and won’t be able to receive calls but I will have limited access to the internet. I know Rivera calls people (like I’ll even get a call lol) so should I be notifying NYU and other schools I’ll be gone? They’ll just send me an email if I miss a call right?
Rely on emails/portals. Calling could/would appear arrogant in my opinion.

Reactions: throwaway2020MD
Mar 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Rely on emails/portals. Calling could/would appear arrogant in my opinion.
I respectfully disagree - I don't think it's arrogant at all to let anyone who might need to contact you (for any reason) know that you will not be reachable by phone during a certain period of time because you will be out of the country, and that they should use e-mail (where you will have limited access). I think it's thoughtful to eliminate any doubt as to why you might be difficult to reach or not as responsive as might otherwise be expected.

Although your odds of receiving any particular A or II are small, would it be arrogant to let them know if your phone number or e-mail address changed, since the odds of them needing the new information are small? Same thing!! :)

Punky Brewster

MD Class of 2024
Jul 1, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
If anyone gets the call today please don’t be shy :)
I respectfully disagree - I don't think it's arrogant at all to let anyone who might need to contact you (for any reason) know that you will not be reachable by phone during a certain period of time because you will be out of the country, and that they should use e-mail (where you will have limited access). I think it's thoughtful to eliminate any doubt as to why you might be difficult to reach or not as responsive as might otherwise be expected.

Although your odds of receiving any particular A or II are small, would it be arrogant to let them know if your phone number or e-mail address changed, since the odds of them needing the new information are small? Same thing!! :)
I agree, and ultimately it's all in the wording. KnightDoc's wording is solid. nothing arrogant about it.

Aug 10, 2019

I don’t view changing contact info in a portal as the same as needing to let them know IF they need to reach you by phone for an Acceptance you’ll be out of the county. Poster also indicated it would be a short time and an Acceptance email or II is always sent. Poster could then call back and let them know they are out of the country and how to be reached. ALSO, most people will have a phone to use internationally, so automatic call forwarding from number on record could be setup as well if you didn’t want to miss a call.

Most of the time I would agree with you on being proactive, I wouldn’t risk misperception for this type of thing. Caveat being that email is checked daily.

Last edited:
Reactions: StanleyYelnats
About the Ads
May 27, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
So the hold email says they expect all final decisions to be out by mid Jan. Does this mean all hold ppl will either get an a or be rejected at that point or the limbo can continue?

Reactions: diasterdream

The-Medical-Mamba

2+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
If I understood correctly at my interview, the post ii Rs will be sent in mid January when everyone finds out their decisions. Right now it is just A and holds
I thought, at least in my wave, we saw a Couple post II Rs? I might be wrong though

About the Ads
Jul 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Definitely still potential limbo because there is no way they are going to clear the WL until the end of the cycle.
Dean Rivera did say that he doesn’t plan to overload the WL. Aka Everyone who is WL is actually someone NYU would be happy to accept. Not sure how much weight this holds just wanted to provide as much info as I can

Mar 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Dean Rivera did say that he doesn’t plan to overload the WL. Aka Everyone who is WL is actually someone NYU would be happy to accept. Not sure how much weight this holds just wanted to provide as much info as I can
This makes perfect sense, given how high their expected yield is. Still, mid January is very likely just when holds will convert to A, R or WL. They still won't know which of their A's are actually coming until their CTE deadline kicks in, so whoever is on the WL will either become an A at some point or remain in purgatory until then, which will undoubtedly be at the end of the cycle (3 weeks before orientation according to their website).

Reactions: throwaway2020MD
Mar 21, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
So far have been admitted here and Pitt for MSTP, and am strongly considering withdrawing from Pitt. Is there anything about Pitt you all think could be better than NYU in general?

Aug 10, 2019
So far have been admitted here and Pitt for MSTP, and am strongly considering withdrawing from Pitt. Is there anything about Pitt you all think could be better than NYU in general?
Huge City vs small City.
Dollars and cents would be up to the candidate to compare depending on their own situation of aid, merit, and cost of living differences.
State school vs New York private and bigger networking community for research etc

Reactions: babykarat
Jul 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I’ve worked at NYU as a researcher for the past 4 years and have nothing but positive things to say about it. Happy to elaborate if you’d like

Jun 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
On that note, I just had my interview for the 3-year pathway so if anyone is looking at it and is curious about the process, I can give some insight if you're interested.

Oct 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
On that note, I just had my interview for the 3-year pathway so if anyone is looking at it and is curious about the process, I can give some insight if you're interested.
Yes! Could you PM me about your experience? (Or if you’re comfortable, posting here would be great) I’m curious about it and am considering applying. Previously I had thought about applying but was so burned out on secondaries. If I applied, would my 3 year app impact my 4 year app and vice-versa?

Jun 30, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
imagine filling that out to get a rejection a week later :'(

About the Ads