2019-2020 NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also side question: I will be leaving the country for a month and won’t be able to receive calls but I will have limited access to the internet. I know Rivera calls people (like I’ll even get a call lol) so should I be notifying NYU and other schools I’ll be gone? They’ll just send me an email if I miss a call right?

Members don't see this ad.

Also side question: I will be leaving the country for a month and won’t be able to receive calls but I will have limited access to the internet. I know Rivera calls people (like I’ll even get a call lol) so should I be notifying NYU and other schools I’ll be gone? They’ll just send me an email if I miss a call right?
Rely on emails/portals. Calling could/would appear arrogant in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Rely on emails/portals. Calling could/would appear arrogant in my opinion.
I respectfully disagree - I don't think it's arrogant at all to let anyone who might need to contact you (for any reason) know that you will not be reachable by phone during a certain period of time because you will be out of the country, and that they should use e-mail (where you will have limited access). I think it's thoughtful to eliminate any doubt as to why you might be difficult to reach or not as responsive as might otherwise be expected.

Although your odds of receiving any particular A or II are small, would it be arrogant to let them know if your phone number or e-mail address changed, since the odds of them needing the new information are small? Same thing!! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone gets the call today please don’t be shy :)
I respectfully disagree - I don't think it's arrogant at all to let anyone who might need to contact you (for any reason) know that you will not be reachable by phone during a certain period of time because you will be out of the country, and that they should use e-mail (where you will have limited access). I think it's thoughtful to eliminate any doubt as to why you might be difficult to reach or not as responsive as might otherwise be expected.

Although your odds of receiving any particular A or II are small, would it be arrogant to let them know if your phone number or e-mail address changed, since the odds of them needing the new information are small? Same thing!! :)

I agree, and ultimately it's all in the wording. KnightDoc's wording is solid. nothing arrogant about it.

I don’t view changing contact info in a portal as the same as needing to let them know IF they need to reach you by phone for an Acceptance you’ll be out of the county. Poster also indicated it would be a short time and an Acceptance email or II is always sent. Poster could then call back and let them know they are out of the country and how to be reached. ALSO, most people will have a phone to use internationally, so automatic call forwarding from number on record could be setup as well if you didn’t want to miss a call.

Most of the time I would agree with you on being proactive, I wouldn’t risk misperception for this type of thing. Caveat being that email is checked daily.

Last edited:
Just got some amazing advice to leave a voicemail saying I will be out of the country. Idk how I didn’t even think about that lol. Thanks guys!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Just got some amazing advice to leave a voicemail saying I will be out of the country. Idk how I didn’t even think about that lol. Thanks guys!
That's amazing advice, unless you don't want a random caller that also has your address to know that nobody's home. :)

That's amazing advice, unless you don't want a random caller that also has your address to know that nobody's home. :)
Luckily no one calls me and if a telemarketer wants to rob my twin bed and toaster from my 400 sq ft studio, they’re welcome to do so lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
So the hold email says they expect all final decisions to be out by mid Jan. Does this mean all hold ppl will either get an a or be rejected at that point or the limbo can continue?

Members don't see this ad :)
So the hold email says they expect all final decisions to be out by mid Jan. Does this mean all hold ppl will either get an a or be rejected at that point or the limbo can continue?

I THINK it's an A, R, or WL in January, so maybe still potentially limbo

Have they sent any post interview rejections? Got the hold today post interview
If I understood correctly at my interview, the post ii Rs will be sent in mid January when everyone finds out their decisions. Right now it is just A and holds

If I understood correctly at my interview, the post ii Rs will be sent in mid January when everyone finds out their decisions. Right now it is just A and holds
I thought, at least in my wave, we saw a Couple post II Rs? I might be wrong though

I THINK it's an A, R, or WL in January, so maybe still potentially limbo
Definitely still potential limbo because there is no way they are going to clear the WL until the end of the cycle.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Definitely still potential limbo because there is no way they are going to clear the WL until the end of the cycle.
Dean Rivera did say that he doesn’t plan to overload the WL. Aka Everyone who is WL is actually someone NYU would be happy to accept. Not sure how much weight this holds just wanted to provide as much info as I can

Dean Rivera did say that he doesn’t plan to overload the WL. Aka Everyone who is WL is actually someone NYU would be happy to accept. Not sure how much weight this holds just wanted to provide as much info as I can
This makes perfect sense, given how high their expected yield is. Still, mid January is very likely just when holds will convert to A, R or WL. They still won't know which of their A's are actually coming until their CTE deadline kicks in, so whoever is on the WL will either become an A at some point or remain in purgatory until then, which will undoubtedly be at the end of the cycle (3 weeks before orientation according to their website).

So far have been admitted here and Pitt for MSTP, and am strongly considering withdrawing from Pitt. Is there anything about Pitt you all think could be better than NYU in general?

So far have been admitted here and Pitt for MSTP, and am strongly considering withdrawing from Pitt. Is there anything about Pitt you all think could be better than NYU in general?
Huge City vs small City.
Dollars and cents would be up to the candidate to compare depending on their own situation of aid, merit, and cost of living differences.
State school vs New York private and bigger networking community for research etc

I’ve worked at NYU as a researcher for the past 4 years and have nothing but positive things to say about it. Happy to elaborate if you’d like

ok um I just got a missed call from a New York number but no voicemail and when I call back it says "this number is not in service" so I imagine it's a junk call but I'm still antsy

this happened again my poor blood pressure

• Sad
Did everyone get the email about the 3 year admissions program deadline ?

On that note, I just had my interview for the 3-year pathway so if anyone is looking at it and is curious about the process, I can give some insight if you're interested.

Reactions: 4 users
On that note, I just had my interview for the 3-year pathway so if anyone is looking at it and is curious about the process, I can give some insight if you're interested.

Yes! Could you PM me about your experience? (Or if you’re comfortable, posting here would be great) I’m curious about it and am considering applying. Previously I had thought about applying but was so burned out on secondaries. If I applied, would my 3 year app impact my 4 year app and vice-versa?

imagine filling that out to get a rejection a week later :'(

Yes! Could you PM me about your experience? (Or if you’re comfortable, posting here would be great) I’m curious about it and am considering applying. Previously I had thought about applying but was so burned out on secondaries. If I applied, would my 3 year app impact my 4 year app and vice-versa?

Yeah more than happy to comment on it. Ultimately, it is a really good opportunity if you have a pretty solid idea of what specialty you want to go into before entering medical school. From that perspective, it allows for an earlier introduction to mentors in your field of interest, as well as time and cost saved by foregoing the fourth year, getting you to where you want to be faster. It also saves the stress of applying and interviewing for other residencies (although you are more than welcome to apply out if you desire).

The only caveat is that if you are applying into a competitive residency (i.e. plastics, derm, etc.), those paths will be much harder to get into for the 3-year pathway due to the limited spots and research required for some of them. When I interviewed originally, my tour guide mentioned that only one student had gotten into derm in the past two or three admitted classes (do not quote me on that though, it was a while ago). That is not to say it is impossible, but just something to be aware of.

If you are accepted into the 4-year program and have filled out the tertiary application, your entire application (I'm pretty sure; possibly only the tertiary) is sent to the residency program that you selected, and they will reach out regarding an interview. This trip will be reimbursed by NYU (up to $600). (Additionally, you can join into the accelerated pathway two other times, either at the end of your first year or the end of your second year, depending on how many spots are remaining in your program of interest.)

In terms of the actual interview, I was back for internal medicine and met with the director of the program this morning. He first walked me through portions of Bellevue while he talked about the hospital, the roles and domain of the residents, etc. From there, we went up to his office and had a more formal interview (which was completely conversational and relaxed, however) about my interest in the program, how it would look in conjunction with my medical education, and so forth (I ended up getting gifted a book lol). The entire process was about an hour, and was pretty fun.

Tl;dr I'd definitely recommend looking into the program if you have a pretty good idea of what you would want to do in the future (or at least a general sense) to save time, money, and get you being the doctor you want to be faster!

Yeah more than happy to comment on it. Ultimately, it is a really good opportunity if you have a pretty solid idea of what specialty you want to go into before entering medical school. From that perspective, it allows for an earlier introduction to mentors in your field of interest, as well as time and cost saved by foregoing the fourth year, getting you to where you want to be faster. It also saves the stress of applying and interviewing for other residencies (although you are more than welcome to apply out if you desire).

The only caveat is that if you are applying into a competitive residency (i.e. plastics, derm, etc.), those paths will be much harder to get into for the 3-year pathway due to the limited spots and research required for some of them. When I interviewed originally, my tour guide mentioned that only one student had gotten into derm in the past two or three admitted classes (do not quote me on that though, it was a while ago). That is not to say it is impossible, but just something to be aware of.

If you are accepted into the 4-year program and have filled out the tertiary application, your entire application (I'm pretty sure; possibly only the tertiary) is sent to the residency program that you selected, and they will reach out regarding an interview. This trip will be reimbursed by NYU (up to $600). (Additionally, you can join into the accelerated pathway two other times, either at the end of your first year or the end of your second year, depending on how many spots are remaining in your program of interest.)

In terms of the actual interview, I was back for internal medicine and met with the director of the program this morning. He first walked me through portions of Bellevue while he talked about the hospital, the roles and domain of the residents, etc. From there, we went up to his office and had a more formal interview (which was completely conversational and relaxed, however) about my interest in the program, how it would look in conjunction with my medical education, and so forth (I ended up getting gifted a book lol). The entire process was about an hour, and was pretty fun.

Tl;dr I'd definitely recommend looking into the program if you have a pretty good idea of what you would want to do in the future (or at least a general sense) to save time, money, and get you being the doctor you want to be faster!

You think they’re looking for like super super experienced people? In the sense that if someone wants to do derm for example, they would’ve done like 100+ hours shadowing in derm, multiple years of research in derm with publications, etc.

did anyone get an A, R, or WL off the post-II hold list yet? been complete silence since my email in late october

You think they’re looking for like super super experienced people? In the sense that if someone wants to do derm for example, they would’ve done like 100+ hours shadowing in derm, multiple years of research in derm with publications, etc.

I think that they are definitely looking for a potential passion in the area, but it likely would vary from program to program. For example, Dean Rivera mentioned that the program directors understand that we are applying with limited experience (in most cases), so the more interested you are and can elaborate upon said interest, the more likely the program would be willing to take a chance on you. I think the ones that really require a lot of tangible research and so forth are being practical at the end of the day and realize that there are certain requirements that cannot be filled by verbal enthusiasm alone. I can't really comment too much on those fields in particular, however; this is mostly going off the general consensus I got from current students.

This is great! Thanks so much for the writeup. From what you've said, I think this is a good fit for me because most of my experience leans toward one specialty. Do you think this app affects your consideration for NYU In general at all? I know you have to get into the 4-year before they consider you for this. I'll probably apply anyways, but I was curious as I have a post-II hold here.

From what it seems, the 4-year MD committee is completely blind to the presence of a tertiary application until they have made their decision (I only say this because I had completed and submitted the tertiary with the secondary way back when, but had to "re-submit" it after paying the deposit). So I don't think it would really have an impact in any way.

The 3-year pathway app has no impact on your admission to NYU's traditional MD! Two separate entities review your admission to each program (of course, you have to be accepted to NYU before you can be accepted in the 3-year pathway program). If you guys have any other questions about the 3-year MD (it's a great opportunity), please feel free to reach out and we can give you more information/put you in contact with students currently in the program.

Anyone else just have a heart attack because of that 3 year pathway reminder

Reactions: 8 users
Got the impression that once you’re interviewed at NYU, the decision to admit or reject or hold is based on the MMI score

On my interview day the dean said they review your whole app again!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users