2019-2020 NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, does anyone have info on when merit scholarhsips will be released? ie beyond full tuitiion? Thanks!

I think that info is shared in the original acceptance call (at least that was the case for me)

Members don't see this ad.

According to the financial aid video in the Fb group all the coas should have gone out already and they will be reallocated if people with them choose not to attend.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are any accepted people considering other schools over NYU? If so, can you PM me - would like to hear your thoughts.
My guess is that most people considering other schools over NYU are still waiting to hear from other T20 programs. Those expecting full or near most need-based financial aid would not feel the same stickyness of an NYU tuition free offer, and then there will be some trading in free tuition for higher perceived prestige—- all of whom are likely waiting to receive more info from other schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Any admitted MSTPs receive any info about the revisit yet? Mainly just trying to figure out if I'm supposed to book my own flight or if they are taking care of it. If nobody's heard I'll just reach out and ask them.

Any admitted MSTPs receive any info about the revisit yet? Mainly just trying to figure out if I'm supposed to book my own flight or if they are taking care of it. If nobody's heard I'll just reach out and ask them.

I have not heard anything

Second look weekend dates are in the packet we got at the interview i think. Or maybe rhey sent it in the mail? No idea. Anyway, the dayes are april 23-25

One of the current students I talked to also said our second look would be the 23-25th. Looking forward to meeting everyone :)

One of the current students I talked to also said our second look would be the 23-25th. Looking forward to meeting everyone :)

Strange that MD revisit is so much later than MSTP. I was hoping they might overlap so I might get to meet the whole class

Also, if anyone else is weighing penn vs nyu vs columbia please reach out- I'm trying to gather some pros/cons for each place and would be happy to talk

Members don't see this ad :)
I know Dean Rivera said they didn't want LOIs during interview day, but are they receptive to them if you're on the WL?

I know Dean Rivera said they didn't want LOIs during interview day, but are they receptive to them if you're on the WL?
I believe so. I sent a LOI(interest)/Update when first placed on the waitlist. I believe he only meant not to send it before you were done with interviews and other schools' decisions.

So is mstp revisit cancelled or not? The MD revisit was planned for late april, and mstp for early... I am surprised there has been no communication yet

Any idea on what chances look like for MSTP waitlisters? Seems like it's a total toss-up at this point

Very curious and would like to ask those who indicated they are withdrawing from their Acceptance, what is the reason?

1. Did you just like another program better and are willing to pay significantly more?
or
2. Did you just like another program better and cost was about the same or close enough due to Need Based Financial Aide?
or
3. Did you just like another program better and cost was about the same or close enough due to need Merit scholarship?
or
4. Other (please tell)

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Very curious and would like to ask those who indicated they are withdrawing from their Acceptance, what is the reason?

1. Did you just like another program better and are willing to pay significantly more?
or
2. Did you just like another program better and cost was about the same or close enough due to Need Based Financial Aide?
or
3. Did you just like another program better and cost was about the same or close enough due to need Merit scholarship?
or
4. Other (please tell)

Best of luck.

I know me and the other poster are both MD/PhD applicants, so cost wasn't really a consideration for me since the programs I am looking at are fully-funded!

After MSTP interview, is the possibility of an MD only acceptance a wash? Wondering for gateway re-application purposes (matriculating as a med student but applying internally again to MSTP)

Hi! Just wanted to clarify re: revisit-- both the MD and the MSTP revisits will be held virtually this year. Keep an eye on your emails for future communications from the programs, and as always feel free to reach out here or email [email protected] with any specific questions!

Does anyone know what the criteria for selection into the 3-year accelerated (guaranteed residency) program are if you decide to opt-in during 1st or 3rd year? Is it the same as if we had applied through AMCAS?

I'm assuming there is no answer to this as of now, but how will the pandemic affect the class entering this upcoming fall, esp those on the 3-year pathway who were intended to start earlier in late July?

I read some people earlier on this thread saying that they received their financial packages in January or February. I have not yet received one, but are we talking about different things?

I received an email that looked like it was going to the whole admitted class which said they will send packages next week. Did the people in January and February get their packages before this group of students, or are they different things?

I read some people earlier on this thread saying that they received their financial packages in January or February. I have not yet received one, but are we talking about different things?

I received an email that looked like it was going to the whole admitted class which said they will send packages next week. Did the people in January and February get their packages before this group of students, or are they different things?

I think certain scholarships were awarded upon admission and sent along with the acceptance email. So, some people were already informed of what their package will contain. But I think perhaps the email from this morning pertains to the comprehensive financial aid packages for everyone..? Maybe, idk just a guess!

Hey! I am currently on the waitlist for NYU SOM and recently learned that NYU takes about 1/5th of the waitlisted students off of the waitlist (source: MSAR, March 2020).

Are there any current students/admissions persons who could potentially shed some light on what the waitlist process looks like? I know that 1/5 is better odds than many places but it also is still not a crazy high acceptance rate.

To be more specific: is there any way for me to know my 'position' on the waitlist? If I am high up on the list, I would most certainly want to maintain my place. If I am, however, in the bottom fifth of 'waitlistees', I would want to have that knowledge so I can move on with my life. I am fortunate to be in a school that I love (albeit will likely be >2x the cost of NYU and not in highly-urban setting) so it would be great to end the emotionally exhausting process of medical school admissions and start looking forward to my current 'intend to enroll' institution.

Feel free to message me or reply if you have any info!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey! I am currently on the waitlist for NYU SOM and recently learned that NYU takes about 1/5th of the waitlisted students off of the waitlist (source: MSAR, March 2020).

Are there any current students/admissions persons who could potentially shed some light on what the waitlist process looks like? I know that 1/5 is better odds than many places but it also is still not a crazy high acceptance rate.

To be more specific: is there any way for me to know my 'position' on the waitlist? If I am high up on the list, I would most certainly want to maintain my place. If I am, however, in the bottom fifth of 'waitlistees', I would want to have that knowledge so I can move on with my life. I am fortunate to be in a school that I love (albeit will likely be >2x the cost of NYU and not in highly-urban setting) so it would be great to end the emotionally exhausting process of medical school admissions and start looking forward to my current 'intend to enroll' institution.

Feel free to message me or reply if you have any info!

Bump on this! I'm on the waitlist for the MSTP and would love to know any info about this.

Unfortunately, the admissions office does not provide waitlist status updates, and movement will not begin until after the April 30th deadline. However, I can reassure you that there are many people in my class who were accepted off the waitlist!

If you have COVID-19 related questions, please reach out to Admissions at [email protected] and include your AMCAS ID in the subject line.

How late after receiving my NYU Albert information should I expect my financial aid package to come in? Just trying to know what to expect...Thanks!

Hey y'all! Is there anyone on here who has definitely decided on NYU? Looking forward to talking with some future classmates

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hey y'all! Is there anyone on here who has definitely decided on NYU? Looking forward to talking with some future classmates
Just a current student lurking the thread but excited for those who have committed and those who will eventually commit!

• Love
What date should LOIs be sent by in order to be read in time for decisions to be made?

To our understanding, interviewees are instructed to send in any thank you notes and letters with significant updates to the admissions office within 24 hours of your interview date. This enables the admissions office to assess your application as soon as possible and decrease the turn around time of the final determination of your application. If you feel like there is something very important you would like the admissions office to know at a later date, sending in a letter is fine.

I'm assuming there is no answer to this as of now, but how will the pandemic affect the class entering this upcoming fall, esp those on the 3-year pathway who were intended to start earlier in late July?

To date, we do not have a definitive answer as to what our medical education is going to look like in the fall. For the time being, our administration is working tirelessly to continue our education remotely and has done an amazing job during these challenging times. Since the COVID-19 situation changes on a day to day basis, I am sure that the assessment of our education is constantly being made and will be more accurate closer to the start of classes. That being said, I am also sure that when decisions have been finalized, timely announcements will be made to all students (former and new) as to how the school will proceed. This includes our incoming 3-year pathway students.

We are happy to hear about your interest in meeting your future NYU peers. Take a moment to go to our Facebook page of accepted students to talk to some of your future classmates and stay tuned to more online re-visit information via email.

Any current students know what the monthly price of Vilcek is including utilities? Trying to figure out what cost of living would come out to at NYU

Anyone get into NYU with a low GPA?
Define low and then use MSAR to look up their published 10th percentile gpa.
Likely Acceptances for low gpa leniency included people that were: military, sea hardship, URM hardship, and elite athletes.

Any current students know what the monthly price of Vilcek is including utilities? Trying to figure out what cost of living would come out to at NYU

Attached are the updated monthly charges for each Vilcek apartment type next year! This includes all utilities (heat/water/gas/AC/internet).

Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 8.08.23 PM.png

Where can we find pictures/floor plans of the housing and of the medical school itself? I can't find any online...

Where can we find pictures/floor plans of the housing and of the medical school itself? I can't find any online...

There will be housing and campus tours during (virtual) revisit! Additional housing information can be found here: Housing for MD & MD/PhD Students | NYU Langone Health. If you scroll to where it says "Jan and Maria Vilcek Hall" and then click on the "Learn more about Vilcek Hall" link, it will download a PDF with more information and sample floor plans (although all the doubles are a little different).

If I remember correctly, the housing registration/assignment process takes place in late May.

There will be housing and campus tours during (virtual) revisit! Additional housing information can be found here: Housing for MD & MD/PhD Students | NYU Langone Health. If you scroll to where it says "Jan and Maria Vilcek Hall" and then click on the "Learn more about Vilcek Hall" link, it will download a PDF with more information and sample floor plans (although all the doubles are a little different).

If I remember correctly, the housing registration/assignment process takes place in late May.

Does NYU plan on still starting in early August this year? Apparently washu is going to be starting 8 weeks later than they planned.

Does NYU plan on still starting in early August this year? Apparently washu is going to be starting 8 weeks later than they planned.
Also wondering this. Really hoping that our classes won't start online.