-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Rochester
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Me!Anyone out there on hold still or in silence?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
silence since hold in November, complete 8/1Anyone out there on hold still or in silence?
yup! complete in july, hold in novemberAnyone out there on hold still or in silence?
Im a bit late but hold in November, and an interview invite Jan 24 (for stat purposes)
does anyone know how long rochester's interview cycle is typically? are II's still being sent out at this point?
Pre-II R on 2/5. OOS complete on 08/20.
TheHumerusDoctor
Full Member
Anyone who got put on the waitlist after an interview heard back yet?
Match list is strong but it’s heavily regional. I’d say it’s around BU or Cinci or UMD if that makes sense. Really good but clearly not Hopkins.How competitive would y’all say Rochester is as far as medical schools go? I mean I’ve seen the US news ranking and what not, but any other personal opinions or understanding?
How competitive would y’all say Rochester is as far as medical schools go? I mean I’ve seen the US news ranking and what not, but any other personal opinions or understanding?
While not a T20, Rochester has an excellent reputation in the world of medicine. I think their match lists really reflect this - they are able to consistently match people into competitive residencies. When I interviewed there, my med student interviewer was working towards matching into integrated plastics and he clearly felt supported by the school. Last year alone, they had people match at institutions such as Mass Gen, Boston Children's, Northwestern, Cleveland Clinic, and UCSF. They also had people match into urology, ophthalmology, ortho, plastics, and otolaryngology.
There is definitely a regional bias, but I imagine this partly comes from the student body more than just PD bias. They successfully match to other parts of the country as well.
Thanks for the responses. I’m curious due to the change announced today of Switching Step 1 to P/F. I feel like this is likely going to increase emphasis (even if only slightly) of residencies on prestige of school. I know it’s not a t20, but I’ve heard that it holds incredible regional reputation. However, I’m in the west and want to do residency back out here. Are you saying that Rochester most likely holds good rep around the nation?While not a T20, Rochester has an excellent reputation in the world of medicine. I think their match lists really reflect this - they are able to consistently match people into competitive residencies. When I interviewed there, my med student interviewer was working towards matching into integrated plastics and he clearly felt supported by the school. Last year alone, they had people match at institutions such as Mass Gen, Boston Children's, Northwestern, Cleveland Clinic, and UCSF. They also had people match into urology, ophthalmology, ortho, plastics, and otolaryngology.
There is definitely a regional bias, but I imagine this partly comes from the student body more than just PD bias. They successfully match to other parts of the country as well.
Thanks for the responses. I’m curious due to the change announced today of Switching Step 1 to P/F. I feel like this is likely going to increase emphasis (even if only slightly) of residencies on prestige of school. I know it’s not a t20, but I’ve heard that it holds incredible regional reputation. However, I’m in the west and want to do residency back out here. Are you saying that Rochester most likely holds good rep around the nation?
I think so. It probably has a better reputation here in the Northeast, but if you look at the match list, they do successfully match out west. If you just look at Neurology from last year for example, 3/4 matches were in California (two UCSF, one UC Irvine). I don't think Rochester will stop you from going back west.
bluelight123
Full Member
I think so. It probably has a better reputation here in the Northeast, but if you look at the match list, they do successfully match out west. If you just look at Neurology from last year for example, 3/4 matches were in California (two UCSF, one UC Irvine). I don't think Rochester will stop you from going back west.
I second that. I personally know a couple of brilliant neurologists at Stanford who got their MDs at Rochester.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else here planning on going to Second Look? So excited that they finally sent out the invitations!
PostHocErgoPropterHoc
New Member
Yep! Looking forward to it - looks like it’ll be a fun weekend. I know I posted before, but if anyone around NYC interested in doing a brunch or coffee before second look, let’s definitely organize it!Anyone else here planning on going to Second Look? So excited that they finally sent out the invitations!
.
Last edited:
Is anyone still on hold? I wasn’t rejected in the last wave. I’m wondering if it’s because I’m from WNY and maybe they have me on some internal back up list, but hoping for good news still. Does anyone know when they interview until?
Is anyone still on hold? I wasn’t rejected in the last wave. I’m wondering if it’s because I’m from WNY and maybe they have me on some internal back up list, but hoping for good news still. Does anyone know when they interview until?
I am lol
According to last year's thread, the last interview date is mid March, last date for II is March 1. This may have changed since last year though...
PostHocErgoPropterHoc
New Member
Would for sure be interested in this!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nice! I guess if anyone else interested just like the post and I’ll pm and see what we can organize!
Medapplicant19
Full Member
Rochester doesn’t do merit aid, do they?anyone heard back financial aid packages yet?
tall_expat
Full Member
Still on hold here as well...Is anyone still on hold? I wasn’t rejected in the last wave. I’m wondering if it’s because I’m from WNY and maybe they have me on some internal back up list, but hoping for good news still. Does anyone know when they interview until?
Wait, serious talk—do they offer financial aid or scholarship?!Rochester doesn’t do merit aid, do they?
Wait, serious talk—do they offer financial aid or scholarship?!
They give out scholarships. Both merit and need based.
Do they give out a lot? Is there a separate application for them? Or does it just go with fafsa?They give out scholarships. Both merit and need based.
Do they give out a lot? Is there a separate application for them? Or does it just go with fafsa?
They require FAFSA, the CSS profile (and noncustodial profile if it applies to you), signed tax returns and W2s from both you and your parents, and a one page application form. According to the financial aid website, 54% of the class receive scholarships and the average scholarship amount per year is $28,340.
You really are the friendly neighborhood mast cell! You rock!!They require FAFSA, the CSS profile (and noncustodial profile if it applies to you), signed tax returns and W2s from both you and your parents, and a one page application form. According to the financial aid website, 54% of the class receive scholarships and the average scholarship amount per year is $28,340.
Do you know when the additional application is due?
do they require that for consideration for merit?They require FAFSA, the CSS profile (and noncustodial profile if it applies to you), signed tax returns and W2s from both you and your parents, and a one page application form. According to the financial aid website, 54% of the class receive scholarships and the average scholarship amount per year is $28,340.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
March 1.You really are the friendly neighborhood mast cell! You rock!!
Do you know when the additional application is due?
Not 100% sure, but I think so. Might be a worth an email to the financial aid office. They were very friendly when I emailed them about a unique situation with my family.do they require that for consideration for merit?
Straight up lifesavers. The deadline for CSS is feb 15
Straight up lifesavers. The deadline for CSS is feb 15
Rochester explicitly says on their financial aid site that all parts of financial aid are due March 1st. The UNDERGRAD deadline is Feb 15th, not the med school.
4everrunning
Full Member
anyone placed on hold and still not heard of anything yet?
Just curious, how would this affect interviewees who do not hear back before March 1st? My guess would be a lot of the Jan/Feb interviews will not have heard back by then. Do we fill it out anyway, even though we don't know the outcome? Or will they give us some leeway with the deadline, if accepted?Rochester explicitly says on their financial aid site that all parts of financial aid are due March 1st. The UNDERGRAD deadline is Feb 15th, not the med school.
Just curious, how would this affect interviewees who do not hear back before March 1st? My guess would be a lot of the Jan/Feb interviews will not have heard back by then. Do we fill it out anyway, even though we don't know the outcome? Or will they give us some leeway with the deadline, if accepted?
I am not sure about this. I know at another school they explicitly told us we should submit by the deadline regardless. Probably wouldn't hurt to email the financial aid office, they are very helpful.
Anyone get the email waiving the application fee to the MS medical humanities? I interviewed Jan 15 this can’t be good
Yeah I got it too. I’m not even taking a “gap year” lol. That wording has me worried.Anyone get the email waiving the application fee to the MS medical humanities? I interviewed Jan 15 this can’t be good
ColdBrewChomps
Full Member
i think it's just another mass email being sent. I don't think it conveys any indication or subliminal messaging about your individual application status. I also received it but got the R last week
Anyone get the email waiving the application fee to the MS medical humanities? I interviewed Jan 15 this can’t be good
I didnt get an II or R and got that email. I think it is the wording. It was kind of interesting (for lack of a better word) to send everyone who applied this cycle an email about a gap year. Like it comes across a tad odd that they word it like "thinking of what you are doing in your gap year?" to people who seek to matriculate this cycle (reality of the 40% of applicants matriculating aside)
Definitely means nothing I got accepted via phone call just now 40 min after receiving the email ..... I’m so hyped
Congratulations! May I ask when you interviewed?Definitely means nothing I got accepted via phone call just now 40 min after receiving the email ..... I’m so hyped
Jan 15
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
WL interviewed 1/23
jonny12384
Full Member
WL interviewed 1/16
Anyone know WL movement here?
D
deleted1008555
Congrats! Did you get an email acceptance too or just the call?Definitely means nothing I got accepted via phone call just now 40 min after receiving the email ..... I’m so hyped
bluemonday96
New Member
A. Interviewed 1/15