2019-2020 Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrew, the WL just got another spot opened up, good luck everyone!!! :D
Great school, ya'll are gonna do awesome :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Is it probably safe to assume that we won’t see much movement at all until after the webinar on Wednesday??

Members don't see this ad :)
Have we heard anything about Rush possibly going entirely online for first semester MS1 students?

Have we heard anything about Rush possibly going entirely online for first semester MS1 students?

I’ve asked multiple schools in/near the Chicago area (including Rush) and gotten the same response - that they expect to start in-person but they have contingency plans in case we have to go online. I doubt many schools literally nation-wide know what they’re going and will adjust according to where we’re at.

It would suck to start online but yea tldr: no one knows, gotta wait it out and stay safe : )

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve asked multiple schools in/near the Chicago area (including Rush) and gotten the same response - that they expect to start in-person but they have contingency plans in case we have to go online. I doubt many schools literally nation-wide know what they’re going and will adjust according to where we’re at.

It would suck to start online but yea tldr: no one knows, gotta wait it out and stay safe : )

Haha yeah that sounds about right. I appreciate the response :)

Reactions: 1 user
Some quick takeaways from the WL webinar today (for those who couldn't make it)

- Currently, the class is still over capacity
- They have a few students who are still holding >1 acceptance and are trying to communicate with them regarding their final school choice
- Some students in the class have been withdrawing in the last week as they have gotten off WL's elsewhere
- WL movement varies widely each year - last year they had "a lot" of movement, two cycles ago they only made 2-3 offers
- WL is unranked, committee will meet to reevaluate their class before making WL offers

If I missed anything important, someone feel free to add! Overall it seems like unfortunately there won't be a ton of WL movement this year.

Agree with the above. Overall felt like the meeting was fairly bleak for waitlist applicants in general. I will also say that waitlist movement as a whole seems delayed this year so Rush may start to lose a lot of its accepted students later in the cycle than previous years. This would mean that waitlist movement this year could be similar to last year (hopefully) but may also occur later in the cycle much to everyone on the WL's dismay.

Some quick takeaways from the WL webinar today (for those who couldn't make it)

- Currently, the class is still over capacity
- They have a few students who are still holding >1 acceptance and are trying to communicate with them regarding their final school choice
- Some students in the class have been withdrawing in the last week as they have gotten off WL's elsewhere
- WL movement varies widely each year - last year they had "a lot" of movement, two cycles ago they only made 2-3 offers
- WL is unranked, committee will meet to reevaluate their class before making WL offers

If I missed anything important, someone feel free to add! Overall it seems like unfortunately there won't be a ton of WL movement this year.
Did they say how much the class was over capacity? About like 20+ ppl have left the fb page but there’s still like 180 students left but idk if every withdrawn person has left the fb page

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they say how much the class was over capacity? About like 20+ ppl have left the fb page but there’s still like 180 students left but idk if every withdrawn person has left the fb page
No they did not. I would say the entire presentation was vague at best in those regards.

Reactions: 3 users
Agree with the above. Overall felt like the meeting was fairly bleak for waitlist applicants in general. I will also say that waitlist movement as a whole seems delayed this year so Rush may start to lose a lot of its accepted students later in the cycle than previous years. This would mean that waitlist movement this year could be similar to last year (hopefully) but may also occur later in the cycle much to everyone on the WL's dismay.
I think it’s impossible to say that Waitlist movement as a whole is delayed this year? Where are you getting/ making that assumption from? There are 100+allopathic schools with all different ways of managing waitlists. I know personally my state schools VCU and EVMS have had substantial waitlist movement already. I understand that’s the sentiment many want to hear but I also thing it’s important to be honest that what you’re saying is pure speculation based on, unclear?

• Dislike
I think it’s impossible to say that Waitlist movement as a whole is delayed this year? Where are you getting/ making that assumption from? There are 100+allopathic schools with all different ways of managing waitlists. I know personally my state schools VCU and EVMS have had substantial waitlist movement already. I understand that’s the sentiment many want to hear but I also thing it’s important to be honest that what you’re saying is pure speculation based on, unclear?
Im glad your state schools have had movement. 3 of my waitlists all had movement last year by this time and have not (or less) this year. Obviously SDN doesn't paint a super clear picture but that is my (and many others) experience. Take it for what its worth with everything else in this process, speculation based on limited information. I would say it is about as accurate as saying X school had movement already therefore waitlist movement isn't delayed.

Im glad your state schools have had movement. 3 of my waitlists all had movement last year by this time and have not (or less) this year. Obviously SDN doesn't paint a super clear picture but that is my (and many others) experience. Take it for what its worth with everything else in this process, speculation based on limited information. I would say it is about as accurate as saying X school had movement already therefore waitlist movement isn't delayed.

I’m not trying to be a dick. My point is just for the sake of your sanity, speculating about waitlist movement truly is not good for anyone. Rush shared their class is full, and that there may be movement depending on what happens. The best thing y’all can do if you don’t have an acceptance is make sure you start your re-app now! Get ahead get early and if you are blessed with an acceptance it’s an amazing surprise. I know it’s tough to hear but someone who sat and didn’t get off 4 WL last year, daily speculation about general trends will most likely not take you to the best head space.

I’m not trying to be a dick. My point is just for the sake of your sanity, speculating about waitlist movement truly is not good for anyone. Rush shared their class is full, and that there may be movement depending on what happens. The best thing y’all can do if you don’t have an acceptance is make sure you start your re-app now! Get ahead get early and if you are blessed with an acceptance it’s an amazing surprise. I know it’s tough to hear but someone who sat and didn’t get off 4 WL last year, daily speculation about general trends will most likely not take you to the best head space.
100% agree. I would treat this cycle like you didn't get in and gear up for Round 2 (or 3 etc.) If you are lucky enough to get called off the bench, thank your lucky stars, perspective god(s), and Admission Committee. In the event that you don't get in, you don't want to be scrambling to reapply in August when you know for sure whether or not you will get accepted.

There’s people still holding more than 1 acceptance? Lowkey rude and inconsiderate.....and also not following rules

Reactions: 4 users
man I agree with you at least for Rush I don't think there is any delayed according to what Jill said. I am just confused why Rush wanted to hold a webinar and said they wanted to be transparent but only gave us extremely vague responses. like apparently they know the number of people who didn't follow the PTE date and the waitlist size but didn't want to disclose to us. and it was fun that when someone asked about active consideration before waitlist, she just totally jumped over that question lmao but ima treat this cycle over given she said the class is much over the capacity now

Reactions: 1 users
Received the following info from an anonymous source regarding the FB group, for any WLers that are curious:

“185 in the group, 12 are M1’s and 1 is staff. There is a roommate sheet and 77 people have put their info down on that. Last year class was 144 and biggest Rush has ever had”

Edit:

Some more anonymous info:

“The roommate sheet also has a living solo tab with 14 people. There is also a GroupMe already that has 95 members.”

Last edited:
Received the following info from an anonymous source regarding the FB group, for any WLers that are curious:

“185 in the group, 12 are M1’s and 1 is staff. There is a roommate sheet and 77 people have put their info down on that. Last year class was 144 and biggest Rush has ever had”

Edit:

Some more anonymous info:

“The roommate sheet also has a living solo tab with 14 people. There is also a GroupMe already that has 95 members.”
Is 144 really the biggest class Rush has ever had? Wonder what the regular class size is then hmm

I'd just add to the waitlist webinar takeaways that she said she expected the bulk of offers off the waitlist to be made between the end of May and the end of June, but there could technically be people pulled off the waitlist up until matriculation in the end of August.

man I agree with you at least for Rush I don't think there is any delayed according to what Jill said. I am just confused why Rush wanted to hold a webinar and said they wanted to be transparent but only gave us extremely vague responses. like apparently they know the number of people who didn't follow the PTE date and the waitlist size but didn't want to disclose to us. and it was fun that when someone asked about active consideration before waitlist, she just totally jumped over that question lmao but ima treat this cycle over given she said the class is much over the capacity now
She jumped over a lot of questions. The webinar was not as transparent as I thought it would be...

Reactions: 3 users
Just withdrew and gave up a full tuition scholarship hope one of you gets it!

• Wow
Just withdrew and gave up a full tuition scholarship hope one of you gets it!
Damn big move, good luck with your new school! : )

Buuuut I kinda doubt Rush reallocates scholarship money lol what do y’all think?

Damn big move, good luck with your new school! : )

Buuuut I kinda doubt Rush reallocates scholarship money lol what do y’all think?
Lol they seem kinda stingy with the scholarship funds soooo kinda doubt it

Is there a recording of the WL talk on zoom? For some reason I can't find it and I wasn't able to go. If someone has it could they PM?

In case any of you were wondering, from our dean:
"I have had several questions from you about the fall. As of right now, we are planning to have M1 and M2 students return to campus in the fall. We are definitely going to modify our in-class time to keep you safe, but we are planning to conduct on campus activities. I say this with the caveat that things could change moving forward, if the situation in Illinois changes. Our #1 concern is for your safety. Right now we anticipate that it will be safe for you to return to campus in the fall, so this is our current plan."

Reactions: 2 users
The waitlist seminar was pretty clear. The things Jill didn't mention were because either she didn't know or she's not allowed to say.

She didn't say the number of students on waitlist. Obviously she doesn't want to give anyone false hope or tear apart your dream. I'd say by a very rough approximation, since we couldn't see who was there, that there are about 50 on the waitlist.

She did say that there is a clear method they use to look at applicants and that they will be filling empty spots when they come up. She said students can send updates, which may be difficult in these times.

On a personal note: To those who said yes at multiple places, just finalize it. To everyone else this is a very difficult process, a lot of people (like myself) were accepted places but waitlisted at their top choice. As much as I want to go to Rush, someone else wants to go where I was accepted. So, make decisions quickly.

The waitlist seminar was pretty clear. The things Jill didn't mention were because either she didn't know or she's not allowed to say.

She didn't say the number of students on waitlist. Obviously she doesn't want to give anyone false hope or tear apart your dream. I'd say by a very rough approximation, since we couldn't see who was there, that there are about 50 on the waitlist.

She did say that there is a clear method they use to look at applicants and that they will be filling empty spots when they come up. She said students can send updates, which may be difficult in these times.

On a personal note: To those who said yes at multiple places, just finalize it. To everyone else this is a very difficult process, a lot of people (like myself) were accepted places but waitlisted at their top choice. As much as I want to go to Rush, someone else wants to go where I was accepted. So, make decisions quickly.
here is a dilemma. lets say if your top choice is Rush but you got waitlisted while you have an acceptance at school A. meanwhile there is another person whose top choice is school A but got waitlisted and have acceptance from Rush. Now both schools are in full size and don't expect to have any WL movement how could both of you get into your top choices? there is no way you can swap your acceptances

Are they still over capacity?

Just checked the FB group and it went from like ~185 a few days ago to 159 today so that I’m assuming that this could mean they have gotten in contact with those that were holding multiple acceptances and/or people are getting off other waitlists they are going to attend over Rush. Hopefully there’s some movement soon for y’all on the WL! :D

Just checked the FB group and it went from like ~185 a few days ago to 159 today so that I’m assuming that this could mean they have gotten in contact with those that were holding multiple acceptances and/or people are getting off other waitlists they are going to attend over Rush. Hopefully there’s some movement soon for y’all on the WL! :D
wow damn what happened there? I just checked it was 184 yesterday... everything is driving me crazy

wow damn what happened there? I just checked it was 184 yesterday... everything is driving me crazy
Yeah I actually was kind of confused because I swore it was in the 180s just yesterday too haha they could also be removing people or asking people to leave I have no clue why/how it dropped that quickly

Yeah I actually was kind of confused because I swore it was in the 180s just yesterday too haha they could also be removing people or asking people to leave I have no clue why/how it dropped that quickly
so RUSH facebook is only for the first year and some student ambassadors and they don't allow any upperclassman to join? I am in another school's facebook group there are tons of other people even like real estate agents trying to sell houses.

so RUSH facebook is only for the first year and some student ambassadors and they don't allow any upperclassman to join? I am in another school's facebook group there are tons of other people even like real estate agents trying to sell houses.
There are some current students in the group but yes I’m guessing they’re part of the student ambassadors. But even if they’re not my best guess is that there’s about 15 current students/admin maximum

Facebook page numbers is a very low yield if not literally 0 percent real of looking at waitlist movement. As someone the other day said on the waitlist support thread “I’m still in 2 schools Facebook I withdrew from and haven’t been added to the school I’m going to yet”. These groups have people from all years m1-m4 coming in to sell ****, advertise stuff etc.

Facebook page numbers is a very low yield if not literally 0 percent real of looking at waitlist movement. As someone the other day said on the waitlist support thread “I’m still in 2 schools Facebook I withdrew from and haven’t been added to the school I’m going to yet”. These groups have people from all years m1-m4 coming in to sell ****, advertise stuff etc.

I know that some other schools' FB pages I was a part of were like that, but Rush's FB is definitely different. It really seems that only approximately 14 people in the group are either rising M2s-4s or Rush admission coordinator. The rest of the members are incoming students only.

I know that some other schools' FB pages I was a part of were like that, but Rush's FB is definitely different. It really seems that only approximately 14 people in the group are either rising M2s-4s or Rush admission coordinator. The rest of the members are incoming students only.
Right EVEN with that case. The people leaving could have withdrawn awhile ago and just got to it I know I’m still in my DO acceptance group cause I keep forgetting to withdraw . Do y’all have a room mate thing yet? Now that is a great way to see who is actually committed to coming.

I don’t think people are sprinting to leave these groups the second they withdraw.

Right EVEN with that case. The people leaving could have withdrawn awhile ago and just got to it I know I’m still in my DO acceptance group cause I keep forgetting to withdraw . Do y’all have a room mate thing yet? Now that is a great way to see who is actually committed to coming.

I don’t think people are sprinting to leave these groups the second they withdraw.
Yes, we have 99 in our roommate spreadsheet and 107 in our class of 2024 groupme

Kinda curious talldoc, are you on the waitlist and wanting to go to Rush too? Feel free not to answer lmao I just notice you’re hella active in here too
See now that’s a good indicator!

I withdrew a few months back but I absolutely loved rush. :) I love this thread cause everyone’s so positive and supportive and hopeful

Reactions: 2 users
As someone on the fb page, I think admin went through and cleaned it out. I know a few ppl who ended up going elsewhere and are no longer part of the group. I would agree that there are probably 10-15 ppl on there that are admin/ current students. So I think numbers are probably sitting around in the mid/high 140s. However from talking with individuals there are definitely some who are waitlisted at other schools that sound like they will leave if given the opportunity.

A point to note that I've heard from interview day and students is Rush has had problems in the past with having too many individuals commit to them. Last year was their biggest class (144) by like 10-20 people so i wouldn't assume that their ideal number is in the 140's but lower. That being said I would speculate that there will not be a ton of waitlist movement because they need to bring the total number down unless perhaps 20+ end up getting off waitlists and going. However I think at this point that kind of movement will be really surprising.

Again I am just speculating so I could be totally wrong but hopefully it provides some helpful info. I was waitlisted at other schools last cycle so i know how stressful of a timeframe it is. It was hard to move on but i think when you're on the waitlist it is often better to move forward like you didn't get in and just get ready to reapply and be early for that then to wait and potentially put yourself in the same situation next year. Better to start getting ready for the next cycle and be pleasantly surprised then get stuck with repeating the same process with no better outcome.

But as a successful re-applicant, I highly encourage that, if this is your dream, keep fighting for it and don't give up. Reapplying and the process of applying is tough on the soul but the extra gap year will just allow you to gain more experience and help shape your passion for medicine which in the end will make you a stronger doctor.

As someone on the fb page, I think admin went through and cleaned it out. I know a few ppl who ended up going elsewhere and are no longer part of the group. I would agree that there are probably 10-15 ppl on there that are admin/ current students. So I think numbers are probably sitting around in the mid/high 140s. However from talking with individuals there are definitely some who are waitlisted at other schools that sound like they will leave if given the opportunity.

A point to note that I've heard from interview day and students is Rush has had problems in the past with having too many individuals commit to them. Last year was their biggest class (144) by like 10-20 people so i wouldn't assume that their ideal number is in the 140's but lower. That being said I would speculate that there will not be a ton of waitlist movement because they need to bring the total number down unless perhaps 20+ end up getting off waitlists and going. However I think at this point that kind of movement will be really surprising.

Again I am just speculating so I could be totally wrong but hopefully it provides some helpful info. I was waitlisted at other schools last cycle so i know how stressful of a timeframe it is. It was hard to move on but i think when you're on the waitlist it is often better to move forward like you didn't get in and just get ready to reapply and be early for that then to wait and potentially put yourself in the same situation next year. Better to start getting ready for the next cycle and be pleasantly surprised then get stuck with repeating the same process with no better outcome.

But as a successful re-applicant, I highly encourage that, if this is your dream, keep fighting for it and don't give up. Reapplying and the process of applying is tough on the soul but the extra gap year will just allow you to gain more experience and help shape your passion for medicine which in the end will make you a stronger doctor.
That’s true but didn’t one of the current M1s come on here and say like 2-5 ppl were pulled from WL last year? That kinda confused me if they already had too big a class size

That’s true but didn’t one of the current M1s come on here and say like 2-5 ppl were pulled from WL last year? That kinda confused me if they already had too big a class size
Yeah interesting... We should ask the admissions team what class size they are aiming for this year...

Yeah interesting... We should ask the admissions team what class size they are aiming for this year...

I'm under the impression (pretty sure they said the number a few different times during my interview day) that they are looking to be at 144ish.

I'm under the impression (pretty sure they said the number a few different times during my interview day) that they are looking to be at 144ish.

admission did say many times that last year was their biggest class and that they ideally aim for a class size in the 120-130s