2019-2020 Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This post really surprised me... I felt Rush has been the most responsive and transparent school throughout my application cycle. The admissions team and medical students have also been so friendly.
Rush Medical College Truth

*This is going to be a long post*

A couple of us (current students) at Rush wanted to give the true insight on our experience. We are an M1, M2, M3, and M4. This was written by a current M3 with input from all the other students as well. There are things that Rush, we imagine, does not advertise during their recruitment stints and wanted to expose the truth. If you have other options, we suggest you highly consider them.

Negatives:
There will be a lot here, and obviously we are only a few students so we dont represent the feeling of every student at Rush. First lets talk about the administration. We have no real dean, we have an “interim dean" who never interacts with students, cares more about his ED, and most students dont even know his name. Plus he’s a DO, which doesnt really matter but just seems odd. We have a president for the university, whom the University spent more money on celebrating her welcoming than they spend on wellness events for students. She has some office hour type things, but generally doesnt interact with students (at least none of us have ever seen her). The prior dean of the medical school was dean for all of 3 years, during which he did nothing. He used the position as a transition to becoming CEO of Rush health system. See the theme here? No real administration that cares about students.

The medical school administration is generally not helpful at all, if students bring up questions or concerns they either take forever to give us an answer like oh sorry we're not sure, or just dont respond to it at all. During the current COVID atmosphere, the administration has provided no support to us. We've had issues with financial aid, student affairs, administrative staff all of whom are non-clinical workers, telling us that they are all too busy with COVID stuff to respond to us. Hm, we're paying their salaries to take care of our financial aid, our administrative stuff but they're too busy for us? Who are they busy with? Furthermore, M3s have been preparing for step 1 for months now, with no end in sight. Meanwhile, our administration continues to tell us they have no guidance for us.

There is a massive disconnect between Rush Medical College and Rush University Medical Center. The medical center cares only about profit, and the health of the hospital. Many of you think that this is generally how its structured everywhere, but the problem comes in when you're in your clinical years. The attendings are employed by the hospital, and have no incentive to teach. In fact, their contracts are so that they have to sacrifice teaching to crank out cases or see patients in clinic (RVUs). They get bonuses based on how many cases they do a year or how many patients they see in clinic, etc. This is a terrible structure but Rush medical college cant do anything about it. Furthermore, Rush medical college charges more money than majority of medical schools out there, but cant pay their teaching attendings? Seems like the administration is eating a lot of money at Rush.

To make money matters worse, we have the worst financial aid department in America. They are truly unresponsive to student emails, like blatantly dont respond, and are not helpful at all. They have some seminars here and there that have titles that make you think, oh this is going to be helpful, and you go and you leave more confused then when you walked in. Sometimes, they even have people literally reading slides that they copy and paste from websites and when you ask a question they cant answer it. Its like they hired random people off the streets to run this department. And other times they present information that is just wrong. This financial aid departments response to many student requests is, we dont have enough staff. How is it so that this medical school is one of the most expensive schools in the country but you cant afford to hire another staff member?

Over the last few years, we have lost the best preclinical teachers. Luckily, they recorded a lot of lectures before they left and Rush now uses those for their "flipped classroom" classes, but the 2 of us that had some of those professors know that this is a huge loss to Rush. Those professors went out of their way to teach, answer questions, and generally progress you as medical students.

Lastly, this is a heavy thing to write about for some of us as we were personally affected, but the medical school has terrible support for students. We lost a student a year ago, a resident this past summer, and another resident 2 years ago. Even after this, the university has almost 0 wellness support. Sure residents have nothing to do with the medical school, and thats a different topic but this just goes to show that the medical school and health system do not care at all about their trainees. To them, M3/M4s are laborers who pay to do scut work and residents are cheap labor that run the hospital.

Positives:
We all agreed that the best part of Rush is the students. We all seem to get along very well, most classes having collectively outings, especially post-exam, pretty active group texts with things going on, everyone seems to have each others backs, and we all work very well together. Another positive is the training. Rush has amazing clinical training, that includes both rush medical center and Stroger hospital (flagship county hospital, first trauma center ever, and really a place where students have tons of autonomy). Location is another big positive, being in Chicago you always have things to do, new places to explore, and people to hang out with. We also have a lot of volunteering opportunities with student run clinics as well. Rush medical center is beautiful, but I wonder where all the money for it is coming from?

Feel free to message us or comment with questions or concerns and we will try to be as honest as possible. Transparency is critical, something our school doesnt value too much.
This is a little off topic but kind of related to the financial aid part. I'm just a little confused by the financial aid and reached out to the office but I'm still not sure I quite understand and would love to hear a current student's input. From my understanding, there is a summer tuition that RMC students are charged, but you don't take classes during the summer, correct? I'm just wondering what the summer tuition goes towards and if I'm missing something

Members don't see this ad.

This is a little off topic but kind of related to the financial aid part. I'm just a little confused by the financial aid and reached out to the office but I'm still not sure I quite understand and would love to hear a current student's input. From my understanding, there is a summer tuition that RMC students are charged, but you don't take classes during the summer, correct? I'm just wondering what the summer tuition goes towards and if I'm missing something
Wait we get charged an additional summer tuition outside of the 55k regular year tuition? Idk if this is true looking at the total 4 year cost thing they gave us on interview day

I asked about this and was told that it’s for the summer meaning May through June/July (can’t remember the last day of the semester).
Wait we get charged an additional summer tuition outside of the 55k regular year tuition? Idk if this is true looking at the total 4 year cost thing they gave us on interview day
It’s included in the number they gave us.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

you only get july and august off for that first year, essencially you are being charged 2.5 semesters for that first year instead of just 2. the first year is the only one with summer break so after that the numbers make sense if you look at them as 3 semesters/year.

A couple of us (current students) at Rush wanted to give the true insight on our experience. We are an M1, M2, M3, and M4. This was written by a current M3 with input from all the other students as well. There are things that Rush, we imagine, does not advertise during their recruitment stints and wanted to expose the truth. If you have other options, we suggest you highly consider them.

Negatives:
There will be a lot here, and obviously we are only a few students so we dont represent the feeling of every student at Rush. First lets talk about the administration. We have no real dean, we have an “interim dean" who never interacts with students, cares more about his ED, and most students dont even know his name. Plus he’s a DO, which doesnt really matter but just seems odd. We have a president for the university, whom the University spent more money on celebrating her welcoming than they spend on wellness events for students. She has some office hour type things, but generally doesnt interact with students (at least none of us have ever seen her). The prior dean of the medical school was dean for all of 3 years, during which he did nothing. He used the position as a transition to becoming CEO of Rush health system. See the theme here? No real administration that cares about students.

The medical school administration is generally not helpful at all, if students bring up questions or concerns they either take forever to give us an answer like oh sorry we're not sure, or just dont respond to it at all. During the current COVID atmosphere, the administration has provided no support to us. We've had issues with financial aid, student affairs, administrative staff all of whom are non-clinical workers, telling us that they are all too busy with COVID stuff to respond to us. Hm, we're paying their salaries to take care of our financial aid, our administrative stuff but they're too busy for us? Who are they busy with? Furthermore, M3s have been preparing for step 1 for months now, with no end in sight. Meanwhile, our administration continues to tell us they have no guidance for us.

There is a massive disconnect between Rush Medical College and Rush University Medical Center. The medical center cares only about profit, and the health of the hospital. Many of you think that this is generally how its structured everywhere, but the problem comes in when you're in your clinical years. The attendings are employed by the hospital, and have no incentive to teach. In fact, their contracts are so that they have to sacrifice teaching to crank out cases or see patients in clinic (RVUs). They get bonuses based on how many cases they do a year or how many patients they see in clinic, etc. This is a terrible structure but Rush medical college cant do anything about it. Furthermore, Rush medical college charges more money than majority of medical schools out there, but cant pay their teaching attendings? Seems like the administration is eating a lot of money at Rush.

To make money matters worse, we have the worst financial aid department in America. They are truly unresponsive to student emails, like blatantly dont respond, and are not helpful at all. They have some seminars here and there that have titles that make you think, oh this is going to be helpful, and you go and you leave more confused then when you walked in. Sometimes, they even have people literally reading slides that they copy and paste from websites and when you ask a question they cant answer it. Its like they hired random people off the streets to run this department. And other times they present information that is just wrong. This financial aid departments response to many student requests is, we dont have enough staff. How is it so that this medical school is one of the most expensive schools in the country but you cant afford to hire another staff member?

Over the last few years, we have lost the best preclinical teachers. Luckily, they recorded a lot of lectures before they left and Rush now uses those for their "flipped classroom" classes, but the 2 of us that had some of those professors know that this is a huge loss to Rush. Those professors went out of their way to teach, answer questions, and generally progress you as medical students.

Lastly, this is a heavy thing to write about for some of us as we were personally affected, but the medical school has terrible support for students. We lost a student a year ago, a resident this past summer, and another resident 2 years ago. Even after this, the university has almost 0 wellness support. Sure residents have nothing to do with the medical school, and thats a different topic but this just goes to show that the medical school and health system do not care at all about their trainees. To them, M3/M4s are laborers who pay to do scut work and residents are cheap labor that run the hospital.

Positives:
We all agreed that the best part of Rush is the students. We all seem to get along very well, most classes having collectively outings, especially post-exam, pretty active group texts with things going on, everyone seems to have each others backs, and we all work very well together. Another positive is the training. Rush has amazing clinical training, that includes both rush medical center and Stroger hospital (flagship county hospital, first trauma center ever, and really a place where students have tons of autonomy). Location is another big positive, being in Chicago you always have things to do, new places to explore, and people to hang out with. We also have a lot of volunteering opportunities with student run clinics as well. Rush medical center is beautiful, but I wonder where all the money for it is coming from?

Feel free to message us or comment with questions or concerns and we will try to be as honest as possible. Transparency is critical, something our school doesnt value too much.
Just wanted to add to this by saying that I have attended more or less all of the Second Look Events, but the financial aid event was a little odd. It actually did seem like they were reading off some slide, and all of us had SO many questions but they had to cut it short. I found it a bit odd that it was almost intentional to read through everything super fast so as to avoid questions from students...

Reactions: 5 users
Just wanted to add to this by saying that I have attended more or less all of the Second Look Events, but the financial aid event was a little odd. It actually did seem like they were reading off some slide, and all of us had SO many questions but they had to cut it short. I found it a bit odd that it was almost intentional to read through everything super fast so as to avoid questions from students...
I actually agree to this as well, it was the least organized event for sure.

I will say the other events have been helpful and informational, for me at least.

Negatives:

Positives:

Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts and experiences. It’s always good to get all different perspectives when making big decisions! Definitely worrisome to hear the issues with financial aid as I haven’t had great experiences with them personally just based on their presentations.

I do think however as current applicants/accepted students, we should all be taking everything with a grain of salt because 1. This is an anonymous forum and 2. Everyone is going to have different experiences and sentiments.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts and experiences. It’s always good to get all different perspectives when making big decisions! Definitely worrisome to hear the issues with financial aid as I haven’t had great experiences with them personally just based on their presentations.

I do think however as current applicants/accepted students, we should all be taking everything with a grain of salt because 1. This is an anonymous forum and 2. Everyone is going to have different experiences and sentiments.
Could not have said it better!

• Love

you only get july and august off for that first year, essencially you are being charged 2.5 semesters for that first year instead of just 2. the first year is the only one with summer break so after that the numbers make sense if you look at them as 3 semesters/year.
That makes much more sense, thanks so much! For some reason I was assuming that they would roll the may/june tuition into the second semester tuition for first year since you have some time off during the summer after M1 but the numbers make more sense looking at it as 2.5 semesters

As far as finaid goes, is the issue just limited to communication? Or do you guys have issues with actual funding (i.e not receiving money)?

Both. They often dont give straight answers one when students will get disbursements, granted this is something out of their control on when it occurs, but they dont even do the leg work of finding out when it will appear in your bank account. This for many of us is troubling because we rely on these disbursements to pay for food and rent and sometimes not knowing when it will occur is stressful. Second, they have charged so many students a $100 "late" fee for paying tuition late. Until this year, they refused to advertise when payment were due and for those of us that use loans to pay its out of our hands when the government will disburse these loans. So how can they charge an extra $100, when its literally out of our hands? Also, merit grants are almost non-existant here.

Yes, as it says in the original post we are only a few students so take it with a grain of salt. Intention of us posting was to make you aware of the negatives, because rush and the student ambassadors (they dont get paid money, but bribed with good free food, free rush swag, and more) won't really touch on these points.

Last edited:
Both. They often dont give straight answers one when students will get disbursements, granted this is something out of their control on when it occurs, but they dont even do the leg work of finding out when it will appear in your bank account. This for many of us is troubling because we rely on these disbursements to pay for food and rent and sometimes not knowing when it will occur is stressful. Second, they have charged so many students a $100 "late" fee for paying tuition late. Until this year, they refused to advertise when payment were due and for those of us that use loans to pay its out of our hands when the government will disburse these loans. So how can they charge an extra $100, when its literally out of our hands? Also, merit grants are almost non-existant here.

Yes, as it says in the original post we are only a few students so take it with a grain of salt. Intention of us posting was to make you aware of the negatives, because rush and the student ambassadors (they dont get paid money, but bribed with good free food, free rush swag, and more) won't really touch on these points.
Thank you for clarifying!!

Tuition is a big issue at Rush. When we look at how much they charge us for each course, its crazy. For example, we have something called a capstone project. You basically just pick a topic to research (do pubmed searches on your own) for 4 years, at the end of 4 years you have to put together a poster that you present to your classmates. It is the most useless thing Rush does. None of us learned anything from it. It is a big time suck. When we look at our tuition breakdown, they charge us >$10,000 for that for 4 years = $40,000. Its an independent project. Another thing is ventra cards and insurance. You are forced to pay for these. You drive to school? Too bad, you have to pay for parking at Rush ($40/month) and pay for a ventra card you'll never use. Another thing, Rush has a tiny tiny gym with terrible hours that they make students pay for (~$40/month). Its not even open on sundays, often closed for "cleaning" and closes early on saturday.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

So I can personally speak on the financial aid part as an incoming student as I was initially confused as well. Our 1st year coursework is 10 months long broken up into 3 semesters: fall, spring, and summer. The "summer" term is confusing but overall it just means the semester that is May to July, we then get summer break from July-August. The other medical schools I have been accepted follow a similar timeline though they may not label it as a "summer" semester.

In regards to how receptive the financial aid staff have been, I have actually found them pretty responsive and helpful. All the questions I have had have been answered within 24 hours and I actually was able to set up and have an appointment already with one of the financial counselors prior to even committing to the school. The gentleman I spoke with was very informed and helpful with all of my questions.

I agree the webinar was scripted but it was just meant to provide a general overview. It only got messy when 50+ individuals starting asking questions specific to their case. I thought it was nice that the recruitment dean followed-up with how you can get answer questions and also provided her personal email for any questions we may had when one of the webinars was cut short accidentally.

I agree that this information provided by the "therealrushmed" should be taken with a grain of salt. It looks like it is written by a student who is clearly displeased with their current situation, perhaps even their choice in medical school, and is looking for an outlet to vent their frustrations. Don't think I have ever seen someone on this site who enjoys their school start with listing off a page worth of negatives followed by a brief summary of positives.

COVID-19 has shaken all medical schools universally and according to my friends in medical school most admins are struggling to adapt to the new environment with limited information provided to the students until things are more concretely figured out. It is a difficult timeframe for both faculty and students. Adjusting curriculum and clinical rotation schedules that have been in place for years is not something readily done in a span of a few months.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I can personally speak on the financial aid part as an incoming student as I was initially confused as well. Our 1st year coursework is 10 months long broken up into 3 semesters: fall, spring, and summer. The "summer" term is confusing but overall it just means the semester that is May to July, we then get summer break from July-August. The other medical schools I have been accepted follow a similar timeline though they may not label it as a "summer" semester.

In regards to how receptive the financial aid staff have been, I have actually found them pretty responsive and helpful. All the questions I have had have been answered within 24 hours and I actually was able to set up and have an appointment already with one of the financial counselors prior to even committing to the school. The gentleman I spoke with was very informed and helpful with all of my questions.

I agree the webinar was scripted but it was just meant to provide a general overview. It only got messy when 50+ individuals starting asking questions specific to their case. I thought it was nice that the recruitment dean followed-up with how you can get answer questions and also provided her personal email for any questions we may had when one of the webinars was cut short accidentally.

I agree that this information provided by the "therealrushmed" should be taken with a grain of salt. It looks like it is written by a student who is clearly displeased with their current situation, perhaps even their choice in medical school, and is looking for an outlet to vent their frustrations. Don't think I have ever seen someone on this site who enjoys their school start with listing off a page worth of negatives followed by a brief summary of positives.

COVID-19 has shaken all medical schools universally and according to my friends in medical school most admins are struggling to adapt to the new environment with limited information provided to the students until things are more concretely figured out. It is a difficult timeframe for both faculty and students. Adjusting curriculum and clinical rotation schedules that have been in place for years is not something readily done in a span of a few months.

Agree to take our post with a grain of salt, as we stated. We are not displeased with our education or with our choice in medical school. We have our own classmates to vent to, so us posting here isn't an outlet to vent to a bunch of prospective students. We believe that transparency is important, and thus thought it would be useful for prospective students (who have not had a real second look day) to learn some of the negatives of Rush. As mentioned the idea of our post is explain the negatives of Rush, not the positives. If you want the positives we would be happy to detail that out in another post, but believe these have already been advertised to you during recruitment day. We agree that the admin is juggling unprecedented shifts in curriculum changes and rotation schedules, however it highlights the fact that we have no medical school dean who can facilitate students through an uncertain time.

As for the financial aid department being responsive, yes they were extremely responsive before we came to Rush. Since then, they have struggled to keep staff members. They have struggled to respond to student questions and needs. There are 3 people in the financial aid department for all of Rush University students, which includes nursing school, medical school, PA school, OT school, SLP, and more. Our experience as students has been different than it was when we were prospective students. Take all of this with as much grains of salt as you want. We are speaking on behalf of our experiences.

Reactions: 3 users

Negatives:

Positives:

Thanks for posting man, it's brave. To be honest, nearly every school I've been following has been roasted HARD at some point, so it's only fair when making decisions that we see the other side of Rush. Lemme see...

-The Dean thing: yeah, that's a slight negative. It's cool having an awesome dean actually involved in stuff, with an epic resume. But to be fair, how much will that really affect your outcome? Probably not much. But it could be a worrisome sign?
-Admin issues: idk if thats unique to Rush? The STEP1 issue is worrisome though.
-Concerning if attendings actually don't take as much time to teach students because they're chasing the money. But I've also heard great things about the attendings.
-Actually not as concerned about the lousy financial aid office. Unless you go to a T20, they apparently suck everywhere.
-Losing preclinical teachers is concerning, but was there any reason they left? As long as there is plenty of decent faculty left over, it should be fine?
-M3s and M4s and residents are slaves everywhere, that's the American system. Is there really a way the school is MORE unhelpful compared to other schools or something, or LESS wellness support?
-Gym stuff does indeed suck.

Once again, thank you so much for doing this!!! Sunlight is the best disinfectant :)
We already know Rush's strengths (Cook County, Volunteer Programs, Midwest reputation, etc.)
I want to hear the cons without getting butt-hurt reproachful looks from everyone!!

Agree to take our post with a grain of salt, as we stated. We are not displeased with our education or with our choice in medical school. We have our own classmates to vent to, so us posting here isn't an outlet to vent to a bunch of prospective students. We believe that transparency is important, and thus thought it would be useful for prospective students (who have not had a real second look day) to learn some of the negatives of Rush. As mentioned the idea of our post is explain the negatives of Rush, not the positives. If you want the positives we would be happy to detail that out in another post, but believe these have already been advertised to you during recruitment day. We agree that the admin is juggling unprecedented shifts in curriculum changes and rotation schedules, however it highlights the fact that we have no medical school dean who can facilitate students through an uncertain time.

As for the financial aid department being responsive, yes they were extremely responsive before we came to Rush. Since then, they have struggled to keep staff members. They have struggled to respond to student questions and needs. There are 3 people in the financial aid department for all of Rush University students, which includes nursing school, medical school, PA school, OT school, SLP, and more. Our experience as students has been different than it was when we were prospective students. Take all of this with as much grains of salt as you want. We are speaking on behalf of our experiences.

For someone who is “not displeased about their education or choice of school “, I find it interesting that you also say “ For those who have other options, suggest you highly consider them” . Sounds like the intent is to moreso steer students away. I actually would like to hear more about the pros too if you have the time. It would help us prospective students have a more holistic perspective of Rush.

But I agree with operationbagration, lot of the things mentioned is similar issues with other schools.

For someone who is “not displeased about their education or choice of school “, I find it interesting that you also say “ For those who have other options, suggest you highly consider them” . Sounds like the intent is to moreso steer students away. I actually would like to hear more about the pros too if you have the time. It would help us prospective students have a more holistic perspective of Rush.

But I agree with operationbagration, lot of the things mentioned is similar issues with other schools.
I second this. It would be awesome if y’all could make a detailed pros list to balance things out.

I agree. While I’m all for transparency, any group of students who collectively come together to bash their current institution to a bunch of premeds while giving few redeeming factors (because they feel that admissions recruiting is too positive) seem, at best, disgruntled and looking for a group of people who will listen to their complaints since they feel the administration doesn’t. Every school has its cons that they choose to gloss over, most schools are expensive, and their suggestion to ‘consider other options’ seems too personal to be considered just “transparency”. True transparency would be, imo, more objective.
I second this. It would be awesome if y’all could make a detailed pros list to balance things out.

I actually disagree! The "pros" are everywhere. If you've been accepted and are part of the FB page and Second Look month, there is an endless source of MS1's through MS4's who are willing to barrage you with all the advantages of attending here. I emailed 4 people and FB's 4 others, and all of them responded me with nearly page long adulations of all the wonderful parts of Rush (which I believe! It is a great school).

But I want to hear about the negatives for once lol. These guys don't need to post pros to balance, those are everywhere and we all mostly know them. Stroger and Cook are famous. P/F curricula. Lot's of volunteering opportunities. Chill class vibe.
But what about the school is NOT chill that nobody wants to say to our face???

Reactions: 7 users
Wow, that's a lot of information. As someone whose been through 2 cycles with waitlists, rejections, and acceptances, and having 2 parents in medical school admissions....
1. No place is perfect. In terms of faculty, resources, etc, unless you're at a top 10 school, it won't be as good. That being said, Rush has gorgeous facilities and amazing clinical experiences. Other Chicago schools drag students all over the eastern part of the state.
2. Sorry to say it but Med School = Self-Study School. Those who can't cut the mustard, don't. Nevertheless, of the schools I checked out (which were lower tier, I'm a middle-aged postbac), none of them provided the teacher:student ratio like Rush, nor the board scores. Also there are some schools where you never see a teacher, it's all over video.
3. Residency programs are hard to get, not everyone does. Rush's reputation alone will help, and the preferential treatment into Rush's own residencies also helps. If you're planning on being a middle-of-the-road student and doing residency in California or New York, good luck, not the right place for you.
4. Tuition sucks everywhere. Even UIC for an in-state student is almost the same.

If you're looking for faculty with phDs doing the latest Nobel Prize research, that is not the purpose of Rush. It's purpose is to provide students great clinical practice, ethical and social development, and a great group of students.

Plz let me know if anyone has gotten the zoom link for the research talk today. I wanna make sure I don’t miss it but haven’t gotten the link

Current M1 at Rush. I want to offer another point of view, a much less negative one, for all prospective students. The same current students complaining on here are the ones that probably sit on their computers and don't pay attention during class. It's how you use your time that makes a flipped classroom beneficial. If you don't like engaging in discussion/participating, then a flipped classroom may be a big change. But coming from someone who very actively participates (unlike a shocking majority of my class), I get so much out of class. Professors enjoy students that come ready and engage because they're the ones that actually care. And professors only answer questions unless you ask and speak up, even the professors that might not be as stellar.

Here are some of my takes on the above student's misgivings about Rush:

1. Having a super involved dean should be an unimportant factor, if not the least important factor, in your decision to go to any medical school. I went to a high school of 150 (5 more students that my M1 class) and I interacted with the dean of our high school about once a month. Having a leader like that present isn't important especially when there are people lower on the totem pole that deal directly with your class and are the ones to go to if you seek changes.

2. About the administration/faculty in general about being unhelpful. I have a major issue with my class, and it's probably true of most medical students/type A people/high accomplishing individuals and that's that they think they are owed the world and make a fuss when they don't get it. I've found that the best way to make changes within the school is addressing the faculty with respect (which so many peers of mine don't do). A little goes a long way, not demanding that everything be perfect at once. My friend had to get a teacher removed from a session. She went about it in a calm manner, while another student made a public fuss about it. Needless to say, my friend got the faculty to make changes and had constructive meetings while the other student just went on whining about it because "I don't pay for teachers like this." Having respect and appreciation for the people that talk time out of their patient hours to teach us should be a given, but it's not.

3. COVID response has been great for our class because we don't have Step 1/2 to worry about unlike the older students. So from an academic standpoint, they've been handling it well and making changes daily to reflect the feedback from my classmates and me.

4. Since we have a flipped classroom, the onus is on the student to learn. We have never once had a lecture. All the material we currently use is the same educational material that's been used for 2/3 years now, so we still get the great lectures from faculty even if they have left Rush (all for promotions at other schools I.e. from professor to assistant deans).

5. In my limited clinical exposure, doctors and residents and older medical students have BENT OVER BACKWARDS to make sure I am learning, comfortable, and as knowledgeable as I can be.

6. Full disclosure, I have not used any of the medical school counseling services, but from what I know, they're very easily accessible and all encompassing. I believe they even give resources to family members of students should they ask.

Finally, I am sincerely blown away each and every day by about 95% of the faculty. The 5% are ok, only one truly negative teacher but we rotate so frequently that I interact with this educator about once a month. But the 95% that I enjoy are beyond stellar. Teachers that stay late in class even if they've been in the ICU for 12 days in a row dealing with COVID patients. Teachers that give you their cell phone number on day 1 because they know counseling services inherently have waits/barriers to access. Teachers that mandate student driven curriculum changes so that our voices are the foundation of the work they can do to improve. Sure Rush isn't perfect, and it's far from it (like every other school), but if you show up to school with a positive attitude, respect for your peers and teachers, a desire to learn, and an understanding that if your teacher messes up or whatever that you can just re-learn the same thing with the myriad of free resources older classes pass down, you'll have an awesome experience like I have so far.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
I know others have asked with little response, but those who know, please answer.

About waitlist:

1. Does Rush actually reject anyone after the interview? This is relevant because that means the waitlist is huge.

2. Those who have gotten off the waitlist earlier, like mid-May, do you know why you were picked first?

3. Do the updates on the portal get reviewed regularly or all on some day after April 30th.

4. Is there anyone left on active consideration? Is anyone on active consideration rejected, or is everyone waitlisted?

I know others have asked with little response, but those who know, please answer.

About waitlist:

1. Does Rush actually reject anyone after the interview? This is relevant because that means the waitlist is huge.

2. Those who have gotten off the waitlist earlier, like mid-May, do you know why you were picked first?

3. Do the updates on the portal get reviewed regularly or all on some day after April 30th.

4. Is there anyone left on active consideration? Is anyone on active consideration rejected, or is everyone waitlisted?
there will be a zoom info session for the waitlist this Wednesday. we can ask these questions on that day

Negatives:

Positives:

I’m going to take this with a grain of salt as I’m assuming the 4 students who felt the drive to post this probably feel the most negative. It’s the same bias you might get with ambassadors as those who volunteer to be in an ambassador role tend to be the most enthusiastic about the school. It’s great to have current students sharing feelings, but I have to ask why now? Why on April 27th are you finally choosing to share this? It’s a bit late, and puts people with choices in a tough position of having to gather last-minute information and reconsider plans.

I’d love to hear how an ambassador (or someone who feels more positive) would respond to this. It’s sort of an unfortunate one-sided debate in this medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m going to take this with a grain of salt as I’m assuming the 4 students who felt the drive to post this probably feel the most negative. It’s the same bias you might get with ambassadors as those who volunteer to be in an ambassador role tend to be the most enthusiastic about the school. It’s great to have current students sharing feelings, but I have to ask why now? Why on April 27th are you finally choosing to share this? It’s a bit late, and puts people with choices in a tough position of having to gather last-minute information and reconsider plans.

I’d love to hear how an ambassador (or someone who feels more positive) would respond to this. It’s sort of an unfortunate one-sided debate in this medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol look at Rushblue’s comment a little above. It’s a fair response to those points

so rush really doesn't give any need/merit aid?
they give both, i got both which really helped me make this my number one choice. They gave out all their merit based at this point and I am not sure about the needs based but it comes in the form of straight scholarship and 0% interest loans until after you graduate which is essencially the equilivant of a several thousand dollar loan in and of itself. its all based on parent income though.

they give both, i got both which really helped me make this my number one choice. They gave out all their merit based at this point and I am not sure about the needs based but it comes in the form of straight scholarship and 0% interest loans until after you graduate which is essencially the equilivant of a several thousand dollar loan in and of itself. its all based on parent income though.
Are you referring to the merit scholarships that we got an email about the other week (I think there were two available, they each required a couple essays), or was there another way to get merit aid here?

They straight up told me (financial office) that they would NOT offer merit aid. So this seems a bit strange. They seemed very adamant about it.

They straight up told me (financial office) that they would NOT offer merit aid. So this seems a bit strange. They seemed very adamant about it.

They do give merit based aid. I am not eligible for any financial aid and received a half tuition scholarship and I know someone else who received a full tuition scholarship pretty much right after they were accepted. I’m fairly certain there’s a webpage that mentions the merit based aid options so I’m surprised to hear you were told they don’t offer.

In order to withdraw do we need to do something in the portal or just send an email? Thanks! Congrats to everyone who got in and I hope my spot goes to someone who needs it :)

They do give merit based aid. I am not eligible for any financial aid and received a half tuition scholarship and I know someone else who received a full tuition scholarship pretty much right after they were accepted. I’m fairly certain there’s a webpage that mentions the merit based aid options so I’m surprised to hear you were told they don’t offer.
This is so interesting because I was also told that Rush doesn’t give out merit aid scholarships only need based (also recall them saying this during their second look virtual presentation...). I also didn’t even receive the email to apply for the merit scholarships with essays. I wonder why there are so many discrepancies and honestly a bit frustrating.

edit: by the way, totally not trying to say I don’t believe that you received a merit scholarship, just trying to figure out why some students have been given varying information

Pretty sure they do do merit-based aid. I asked and was told that they’d all been given out as of a month ago

This is so interesting because I was also told that Rush doesn’t give out merit aid scholarships only need based (also recall them saying this during their second look virtual presentation...). I also didn’t even receive the email to apply for the merit scholarships with essays. I wonder why there are so many discrepancies and honestly a bit frustrating.

edit: by the way, totally not trying to say I don’t believe that you received a merit scholarship, just trying to figure out why some students have been given varying information
there was an email the other day about a few. it went to your rush account

also low key did not realize this was a controversial post. my b.

No no I understand. Tbh it’s probably a recruiting thing. I received a call offering it when I was planning to enroll somewhere else. My friend had like a 99th percentile MCAT so maybe it’s something they offer to students they really want. Mine was given to me as a ‘diversity/service’ thing. It wasn’t even named it literally just said “half tuition scholarship”.

Not saying that I’m an amazing candidate or anything at all - that’s just the only explanation I can think of

Last edited:
there was an email the other day about a few. it went to your rush account

also low key did not realize this was a controversial post. my b.
That would probably explain why I never got the email cus I haven’t checked that account lol

and your post was not controversial at all!!!

I think the key here is in the wording lol the financial aid office doesn’t offer merit scholarships.. that’s solely up to the admissions/scholarship committee.

No no I understand. Tbh it’s probably a recruiting thing. I received a call offering it when I was planning to enroll somewhere else. My friend had like a 99th percentile MCAT so maybe it’s something they offer to students they really want. Mine was given to me as a ‘diversity/service’ thing. It wasn’t even named it literally just said “half tuition scholarship”.

Not saying that I’m an amazing candidate or anything at all - that’s just the only explanation I can think of
That totally makes sense!! I feel like many schools do that. I just found it odd that when I asked about merit they told me Rush doesn’t provide merit aid but maybe they just meant I’m not eligible for it :laugh:

That totally makes sense!! I feel like many schools do that. I just found it odd that when I asked about merit they told me Rush doesn’t provide merit aid but maybe they just meant I’m not eligible for it :laugh:
Who did you ask? (If you dont mind me asking lol)

Who did you ask? (If you dont mind me asking lol)
I asked the financial aid office over the phone when I was discussing my financial aid package (about a month ago)! They also said the same thing (if I recall correctly) when someone asked during their virtual second look presentation

I asked the financial aid office over the phone when I was discussing my financial aid package (about a month ago)! They also said the same thing (if I recall correctly) when someone asked during their virtual second look presentation

Ahhh yeah it wasn’t financial aid who called me. It was the admissions and scholarship committee who contacted me so maybe that’s why!

Ahhh yeah it wasn’t financial aid who called me. It was the admissions and scholarship committee who contacted me so maybe that’s why!

I think the 2 function as separate entities and that may be why there is so much confusion

I think the 2 function as separate entities and that may be why there is so much confusion
That would definitely explain it!!! I wish they were a bit more transparent about it so some of us wouldn’t get so confused lol