2019-2020 Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just heard that the class size is still a little over capacity. Please, if you are holding onto more than 1 acceptance, make your decision soon! it helps all of us on the waitlist and those of us who consider Rush their top choice school!

Members don't see this ad.

Just heard that the class size is still a little over capacity. Please, if you are holding onto more than 1 acceptance, make your decision soon! it helps all of us on the waitlist and those of us who consider Rush their top choice school!
there are still people holding multiple As or not? if so it is ridiculous, one of the handouts that were handed to us during the interview date specifically listed rush deadline for PTE is 4/30

Reactions: 1 user
I would caution people to not think the worst of those holding multiple acceptances just yet. I cannot speak for everyone but I know someone who is holding two As (one at Rush) because they are currently talking with Boyd and Volk trying to work out finances. Rush is their top choice but it’s too expensive and Boyd/Volk agreed to give them a little time to try to work something out. Is it “fair”? Some could argue not but it’s not just because theyre being a rude/selfish person purposely halting WL movement. I understand y’all all are stressed and wanna get in but compassion and understanding is also important.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would caution people to not think the worst of those holding multiple acceptances just yet. I cannot speak for everyone but I know someone who is holding two As (one at Rush) because they are currently talking with Boyd and Volk trying to work out finances. Rush is their top choice but it’s too expensive and Boyd/Volk agreed to give them a little time to try to work something out. Is it “fair”? Some could argue not but it’s not just because theyre being a rude/selfish person purposely halting WL movement. I understand y’all all are stressed and wanna get in but compassion and understanding is also important.
it could be a fair deal if Rush didn't officially list their deadline 4/30, the reality is the school made this date the "Rush Specific Deadline" but didn't keep its action aligned

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone take a hot tea, put your feet up, and wait this one out. From my knowledge of waitlists in general, they mean we weren't accepted, maybe we were borderline but for whatever reason, whether interviewed late in the season or not standing out or not what they are looking for to fill in the gaps of their enrollment; but, if there is an opportunity, we might get accepted. So...at this point those who have been accepted are priority for any school, even if they may need more time than the deadline. Rush is also my top choice, but at the end of the day, it's not up to me.

Hey everyone! Question for those who have been accepted...someone today at work asked if I was thinking about deferring a year in light of the pandemic? I hadn't even considered it but they said it might be a good option in case things have to be online for M1, or at least part of it...I would love to hear people's thoughts on this!!

Hey everyone! Question for those who have been accepted...someone today at work asked if I was thinking about deferring a year in light of the pandemic? I hadn't even considered it but they said it might be a good option in case things have to be online for M1, or at least part of it...I would love to hear people's thoughts on this!!

1- You’d need a good reason to defer. Simply saying bc of the situation probably won’t suffice bc we’re all being affected by this pandemic in some way or the other.

2- Look at any SDN or reddit post on the first 2 years of medical school. So many people complain that there should be less mandatory stuff, go to the school with fewer mandatory events, etc. If school were to go online, how is that really gonna affect my ability to learn? Rush is flipped classroom anyways -you get the material straight up in cases. For the small group discussions, I hear it’s going fine on zoom rn and I doubt school will be online for the next 2 years lol. I don’t think a little bit of M1 being online will be that bad.

3- Every year you delay being a physician is a year of salary lost. Is it worth it?

I’m sure there’s a lot of legit cons out there too but tbh I’m not sure what pros your coworker specifically had on deferring a year. I’d like to hear them if possible. I guess we might have reduced socializing for a bit, have to be more careful in early clinical experiences, etc but all in all I don’t think it’ll be that big of a deal (as long as we’re being safe).

1- You’d need a good reason to defer. Simply saying bc of the situation probably won’t suffice bc we’re all being affected by this pandemic in some way or the other.

2- Look at any SDN or reddit post on the first 2 years of medical school. So many people complain that there should be less mandatory stuff, go to the school with fewer mandatory events, etc. If school were to go online, how is that really gonna affect my ability to learn? Rush is flipped classroom anyways -you get the material straight up in cases. For the small group discussions, I hear it’s going fine on zoom rn and I doubt school will be online for the next 2 years lol. I don’t think a little bit of M1 being online will be that bad.

3- Every year you delay being a physician is a year of salary lost. Is it worth it?

I’m sure there’s a lot of legit cons out there too but tbh I’m not sure what pros your coworker specifically had on deferring a year. I’d like to hear them if possible. I guess we might have reduced socializing for a bit, have to be more careful in early clinical experiences, etc but all in all I don’t think it’ll be that big of a deal (as long as we’re being safe).

Thanks for your insight!! You brought up some good points that I didn't even think of. I think he was suggesting that it wouldn't be worth the full tuition if we had everything online, including anatomy and other clinical experiences. Obviously a slightly different situation, but I have heard of high school seniors deferring a year because they don't want to pay full tuition for online courses.

Thanks for your insight!! You brought up some good points that I didn't even think of. I think he was suggesting that it wouldn't be worth the full tuition if we had everything online, including anatomy and other clinical experiences. Obviously a slightly different situation, but I have heard of high school seniors deferring a year because they don't want to pay full tuition for online courses.
I mean you’ve waited your whole life to be a doctor ... does it really matter ? It’s not like undergrad. Who knows what’s gonna happen in the future. All this tells me is that our society isn’t prepared for something like this so I am trying to be a doctor ASAP before more **** goes down.

If there is something you really want to do for a year, then try deferring (unlikely to be granted in these circumstances - might if school over-accepted). That is ~300k decision, as you have to base off your attending salary on the backend.

If there is something you really want to do for a year, then try deferring (unlikely to be granted in these circumstances - might if school over-accepted). That is ~300k decision, as you have to base off your attending salary on the backend.
That's true. As much as I want to say that I'm not going into medicine for the money, I do have to consider the financial situation I'll be in after 4 years of med school tuition!

I would understand deferring. And honestly, the pandemic is probably a good enough reason for the school to grant this. I get what everyone else is saying about the lost opportunity cost, and all that, but if you really want to, it might be a great way to relax for another year, spend time with family, etc..

Disclaimer: I'm WLed at Rush

I probably wouldn't defer. Depending on what you decide to specialize in later down the road, that's potentially a $250-500k+ lost opportunity cost. Every medical student I've talked to says that anatomy lab/PBL sessions (regardless of school) get quite tiresome and feel needlessly time-consuming after the first couple sessions.

P.S. for anyone actively on the waitlist, you should probably disclose that fact when replying to questions like this since there's an obvious conflict of interest.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer: I'm WLed at Rush

I probably wouldn't defer. Depending on what you decide to specialize in later down the road, that's potentially a $250-500k+ lost opportunity cost. Every medical student I've talked to says that anatomy lab/PBL sessions (regardless of school) get quite tiresome and feel needlessly time-consuming after the first couple sessions.

P.S. for anyone actively on the waitlist, you should probably disclose that fact when replying to questions like this since there's an obvious conflict of interest.
I appreciate the honesty!!

I appreciate the honesty!!
I’ll just say this I’ve wanted to be a doctor my entire life more than anything. I’m not going to wait a year of achieving my dream because some of my classes are online. If anything this shows me you never know what’s gonna happen in the future. I’m gonna try to get my MD ASAP.

There is nothing wrong with deferring. It depends on a lot of factors. If you're older, married, children, why wait? But if you are younger, there are many good reasons to wait. Maybe you're not fully comfortable with your motivation in medicine, want to take a masters thesis in public health or hospital admin, or become an EMT or volunteer abroad and develop your altruistic side of being a doctor. Maybe you're out of shape and always wanted to train for a triathalon or like to travel and camp and know you won't have the opportunity to do it for a long period of time within the next 8 years. Or you might want to go to queens to find a bride. I wouldn't just wait a year without a plan or good reason, but there are plenty of good reasons.

Opportunity costs work in both directions, especially if after the long journey of medical school, you are unmotivated and feel you missed a good opportunity first.

disclaimer: I am on the waitlist and I hope you will defer so that your seat can go to one of us wailisters. but just make sure the school allows you to defer and you have to think if you really want to take a year off there is nothing wrong with the deferral forget about the potential salary who knows whats gonna happen 10 years later. live in the moment

There is nothing wrong with deferring. It depends on a lot of factors. If you're older, married, children, why wait? But if you are younger, there are many good reasons to wait. Maybe you're not fully comfortable with your motivation in medicine, want to take a masters thesis in public health or hospital admin, or become an EMT or volunteer abroad and develop your altruistic side of being a doctor. Maybe you're out of shape and always wanted to train for a triathalon or like to travel and camp and know you won't have the opportunity to do it for a long period of time within the next 8 years. Or you might want to go to queens to find a bride. I wouldn't just wait a year without a plan or good reason, but there are plenty of good reasons.

Opportunity costs work in both directions, especially if after the long journey of medical school, you are unmotivated and feel you missed a good opportunity first.
Yeah I mean you have tor realize you’re gonna need a better reason than that. Med schools typically allow 1-3 students accepted to defer each years its very rare and requires a better reason than the ones you have provided. Not trying to be negative it’s just really really hard to defer an acceptance of its just cause you want another year off.

Yeah I mean you have tor realize you’re gonna need a better reason than that. Med schools typically allow 1-3 students accepted to defer each years its very rare and requires a better reason than the ones you have provided. Not trying to be negative it’s just really really hard to defer an acceptance of its just cause you want another year off.

For most people who got into Medical school, you're probably right. Possibly unrelated, but I asked schools about students wanting to do masters degrees, and Rush and others told me that there are students who take a year off after their first 2 years. About deferring, I took a little over a year off and taught English in Japan and backpacked throughout Europe, I would never have such an opportunity again in my life, at least before retirement. Obviously I did this before applying to medical school. In unique cases, the reasons to defer should not be mixed with economic rational that may be irrelevant in 4 years.

For most people who got into Medical school, you're probably right. Possibly unrelated, but I asked schools about students wanting to do masters degrees, and Rush and others told me that there are students who take a year off after their first 2 years. About deferring, I took a little over a year off and taught English in Japan and backpacked throughout Europe, I would never have such an opportunity again in my life, at least before retirement. Obviously I did this before applying to medical school. In unique cases, the reasons to defer should not be mixed with economic rational that may be irrelevant in 4 years.
Totally my argument was never about money that was someone else.

I would understand deferring. And honestly, the pandemic is probably a good enough reason for the school to grant this. I get what everyone else is saying about the lost opportunity cost, and all that, but if you really want to, it might be a great way to relax for another year, spend time with family, etc..

Why would you apply at all this cycle if you were thinking about deferring? It makes absolutely zero sense, especially given the reasons of "spending time with family, exercise, relaxing, etc.". And FYI, the pandemic is affecting EVERYONE, not just you. I guarantee you the school will not accept the deferment for the reasons that were stated above. Deferment is a special case in which you NEED to take a year off, not WANT to. A good reason to defer would include being suddenly the breadwinner of the house, not taking time off to relax.

I have a feeling that the posters who petition to defer are also those on the WL

Reactions: 4 users
Why would you apply at all this cycle if you were thinking about deferring? It makes absolutely zero sense, especially given the reasons of "spending time with family, exercise, relaxing, etc.". And FYI, the pandemic is affecting EVERYONE, not just you. I guarantee you the school will not accept the deferment for the reasons that were stated above. Deferment is a special case in which you NEED to take a year off, not WANT to. A good reason to defer would include being suddenly the breadwinner of the house, not taking time off to relax.

I have a feeling that the posters who petition to defer are also those on the WL
Totally agree with this! Everyone is being affected by the pandemic in different ways and unless you have an extenuating circumstance I really don’t see them approving a deferral just because of the pandemic.

Starting off the school year with uncertainty will definitely be a bit anxiety inducing but we’ll all figure it out and navigate it together as a class!

And I also agree with @enchantments above that everyone should be disclosing their status before giving their opinion about deferrals :) and in light of this, I will disclose I am an accepted student committed to enroll at Rush

Reactions: 3 users
Just about everyone on this thread supporting a deferral are WLer’s, including the two you quoted.

Cynicism aside, no one's moving up a waitlist (that doesn't even have an order) because of a convincing diatribe on SDN. Actually, arguments were presented as to why a deferral may be appropriate, irrelevant of the author. For most students, it would not be appropriate (as mentioned), but that does not mean it is not a relevant choice.

Cynicism aside, no one's moving up a waitlist (that doesn't even have an order) because of a convincing diatribe on SDN. Actually, arguments were presented as to why a deferral may be appropriate, irrelevant of the author. For most students, it would not be appropriate (as mentioned), but that does not mean it is not a relevant choice.
The entire point is that it’s not even a choice. Choice implies it’s an option. In Med school, it’s only an option if you have a VERY real convincing reason.

Current Rush student here. I know a classmate who deferred a year to just travel. Medical school is stressful and if you feel like you need additional time off then it never hurts to ask!

I agree that there are legitimate reasons to defer, and noone is arguing otherwise. We're just saying it's *odd* that just about everyone supporting a deferral - which would have an impact on WL movement (however miniscule) - are those who would benefit from it most.

Sadly, I've seen quite a few people on WL's sift through "A" SOM vs. "B" SOM threads and blatantly vote "B SOM" (the school they're incidentally not WLed for) without providing any further info. Not a good look.

Current Rush student here. I know a classmate who deferred a year to just travel. Medical school is stressful and if you feel like you need additional time off then it never hurts to ask!
No offense but is there a chance there was more to it than you know?

First of all, I appreciate everyone's insight regarding my initial post! I just want to make a point that I was referring to deferring strictly on the basis of the pandemic and how it might affect our classes/labs. I think deferring for more personal reasons is a whole other topic that is highly individual! I personally will not be deferring as i agree with some of the points that others made- that everyone else is in the same boat, that there is a lot we don't know about how things may or may not turn out, etc. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but that's just the decision I have made!

Reactions: 3 users
No offense but is there a chance there was more to it than you know?

No offense but as someone who is in the same position as everyone else (an incoming student) why keep shooting people down/questioning everything when we all have the same level of insight/authority (none because we aren’t adcoms). Maybe it really was just that simple. I know someone who deferred from another school because they wanted to do some year long program abroad in the UK. There was no more to it than that. It’s possible.

No offense but as someone who is in the same position as everyone else (an incoming student) why keep shooting people down/questioning everything when we all have the same level of insight/authority (none because we aren’t adcoms). Maybe it really was just that simple. I know someone who deferred from another school because they wanted to do some year long program abroad in the UK. There was no more to it than that. It’s possible.
I think you could hardly say ive been anything but supportive in this thread the entire year.

i don’t know what’s not supportive about just saying that you can’t defer just because you want another year off.

It is important to remember that these threads are memorialized. I know I looked at all the old threads at my schools before applying. Our words will not only influence people now but in the future. I would hate for someone to read this and decide to apply to rush thinking they would easily just take another year off to take in vacation. When reality, asking for a deferral requires applying for it; having a good reason and they are not always approved. I would find it hard for anyone to argue with this. I dont think anything else really needs to be said.

Last edited:
so when do ya'll think that we should pretty much consider the waitlist to be over?

so when do ya'll think that we should pretty much consider the waitlist to be over?
I'm a current accepted student, and there was someone in the Groupme that posted yesterday that they are dropping their acceptance for their state school. I hope it goes your way!

does anyone have a good number to call to reach admissions? I have emailed the rush interviews email but no response yet

does anyone have a good number to call to reach admissions? I have emailed the rush interviews email but no response yet
I’ve never been successful in trying to contact someone through the phone but also I know no one is working in the office currently so they definitely wouldn’t answer it now. I would just follow up on the email, sometimes the emails get lost!

I heard from admissions that this year's waitlist movement is very slow; still the class size is over capacity. They are just waiting on some applicants who are still between schools or who are waiting to hear from a school that they are waitlisted at

In their most recent email they had said we would hear back about M1 Fall being online by June 1st but I don't think that happened. Did anybody hear anything?

In their most recent email they had said we would hear back about M1 Fall being online by June 1st but I don't think that happened. Did anybody hear anything?
nope! nothing from the school on in person vs online yet. 2 weeks ago they said that it is a fluid situation and that they would update us soon.

We just got an email from Rush regarding fall curriculum delivery. here is a quote from the email:

“Beginning this fall, it is our intention to offer a hybrid education (both on campus and remote) for our pre-clerkship students. While the specifics have not yet been solidified, we anticipate all M1 students will have some form of on-campus classroom learning while continuing virtual classroom sessions. All on campus activities will, of course, follow social distancing regulations and group restrictions as mandated by the CDC, State of IL, and upheld by Rush University Medical Center.”

They will also hold a zoom session next week so we can ask questions about this.

Does anyone know if there is a "pre-matriculation checklist" or something we should be working on right now? Like health records or BLS certification, etc.? I paid the deposit, did the Certiphi background check a while ago and am waiting to accept financial aid until CTE (currently on 3 waitlists). I know other schools have stuff for students to work on but haven't heard anything from Rush??

Based on the call I had with admissions, the class is still over capacity sadly :(

I wasn't able to watch the recent zoom meeting, does anyone know if it was recorded and posted anywhere?

I wasn't able to watch the recent zoom meeting, does anyone know if it was recorded and posted anywhere?
It was recorded so it should be available to watch in a few days.

Hey everyone, My friend has a question about the drug test the admins mentioned on the zoom meeting yesterday. If you are prescribed ADHD medication do you have to disclose that to the school before your drug test? I think they said the drug test is done through the University health clinic? Feel free to direct message me if you feel more comfortable answering privately. I would very much appreciate some insight on this. Asking for a friend. Thanks!
Half of doctors have ADHD, it’s no big deal. When you take a drug test you disclose any prescription drugs you take the and the doctor who prescribed them.

Does anyone know whether or not we get a laptop included in our tuition?

Does anyone know whether or not we get a laptop included in our tuition?
It’s not included, but you can request a one time computer purchase funds increase request (found it on their living costs page on their website). I personally haven’t applied for one so I don’t know how it works.

It appears that there will be zero movement from the waitlist this cycle

• Angry
i never got the final email from rush LOL

• Angry