2019-2020 Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone start looking for housing or room mates yet? asking for a friend lol
I think it’s probably too early if you’re looking for an August move in date. Also they mentioned they do a roommate search thing in the Facebook group in early summer!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew my acceptance yesterday! It wasn't in the cards but I truly loved Rush

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
social hour on zoom was actually fun!!!! cant wait to see all yall wonderful people again

Reactions: 1 users
For people on the waitlist, do we get upgraded to active consideration as the process continues or do they plan on taking applications off the waitlist directly?

just a quick question for those who are on WL, do you send update to the interview.edu email directly or maybe someone directly or thru the portal? and also any news about wl movement?

just a quick question for those who are on WL, do you send update to the interview.edu email directly or maybe someone directly or thru the portal? and also any news about wl movement?
the interview email and Alyssa added it to my file. On the WL and I haven't heard anything

the interview email and Alyssa added it to my file. On the WL and I haven't heard anything
means you emailed them the update and they added to the portal? so is it as same as uploading the update to the portal directly? Maybe in your case they knew you updated something at least?

Members don't see this ad :)
means you emailed them the update and they added to the portal? so is it as same as uploading the update to the portal directly? Maybe in your case they knew you updated something at least?
u can email it and upload it to cover your bases :lol:

• Hmm
I'm guessing ~300 on the waitlist, with half coming off at some point.

Do you think there is any preference or better positioning given to applicants who were on active consideration and moved to the waitlist??

I have no clue. Possibly, but they could replace someone that withdrew with a similar applicant. Everything is mere speculation. I'd recommend doing something productive as worrying about things doesn't increase the likelihood of coming off the waitlist (easier said than done, I know).

Rush will not give 150 acceptances off the waitlist— on the contrary waitlist movement at rush isn’t huge.

• Hmm
  • Sad
that is no way they have 300 on the waitlist they have already extended 150 As before January and they only offer 450 II every year

i have done my research, so they have 200 members on their facebook group now given not too many new members joined in the past month, and comparing to the past classes from 2021-2023 every class has around 260-280 members so maybe at least fifty people will get pulled out. I also did my calculation based on the number they posted on instagram, they made 150 As before New year, so that is around 9-10 As for each interview day and that is equal to around 220ish As plus maybe 20 people from the first group of Active consideration so far given no WL movements and each year they extended roughly 320 offers................. so the question is do they extend R to anyone ever? if yes that means maybe we have a chance if not huh

i have done my research, so they have 200 members on their facebook group now given not too many new members joined in the past month, and comparing to the past classes from 2021-2023 every class has around 260-280 members so maybe at least fifty people will get pulled out. I also did my calculation based on the number they posted on instagram, they made 150 As before New year, so that is around 9-10 As for each interview day and that is equal to around 220ish As plus maybe 20 people from the first group of Active consideration so far given no WL movements and each year they extended roughly 320 offers................. so the question is do they extend R to anyone ever? if yes that means maybe we have a chance if not huh
I couldn’t read that but if u look at sdn the past two years there are very few people reporting getting off the WL

Yea, I have not heard of many (if any) people being rejected post-I (most people do not post about rejections though). That's why I went with the 300 person waitlist, based off ~470 interviews and 150 acceptances to fill the class. They did mention they extend ~300 acceptances, but I am not sure if they only accepted 150 at first and add more later, or if they extend 200 (arbitrary number as an example) initially then add more as needed.

Edit below:

Rush will not give 150 acceptances off the waitlist— on the contrary waitlist movement at rush isn’t huge.

Per Rush, they extend ~300 acceptances. I made the assumption that they only extend 150 acceptances initially and then add more from the waitlist. They could also accept 200 initially, then add fewer from the waitlist.

I couldn’t read that but if u look at sdn the past two years there are very few people reporting getting off the WL

I don't have the numbers on me rn to make a really clear argument, but I'm willing to bet there is solid waitlist movement.

Rush is a fantastic school, but they offer no merit aid (well, almost none) and aren't quite T30 (despite providing an excellent education) so a lot of students with better financial offers or some higher ranked schools will jump ship. So there is hope!

Yea, I have not heard of many (if any) people being rejected post-I (most people do not post about rejections though). That's why I went with the 300 person waitlist, based off ~470 interviews and 150 acceptances to fill the class. They did mention they extend ~300 acceptances, but I am not sure if they only accepted 150 at first and add more later, or if they extend 200 (arbitrary number as an example) initially then add more as needed.

Edit below:

Per Rush, they extend ~300 acceptances. I made the assumption that they only extend 150 acceptances initially and then add more from the waitlist. They could also accept 200 initially, then add fewer from the waitlist.
you have to check their instagram that they have extended 151 offers by January 1st and someone reported they got pulled out from the active consideration early this year so that is why I said they might give out roughly another 50-80 acceptances from the waitlist last year they extended 330 offers. Per @Talldoctor96 a current student posted here early this year about a lot of his classmates got out from the waitlist. but who knows all we can do is just wait and pray if you truly want to attend Rush

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Just in case anyone on the waitlist finds this helpful, I have noticed that our FB page has about 20-25 less people in it since last week, which I assume is due people withdrawing their acceptances. Sending out positive vibes for those waiting!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
you have to check their instagram that they have extended 151 offers by January 1st and someone reported they got pulled out from the active consideration early this year so that is why I said they might give out roughly another 50-80 acceptances from the waitlist last year they extended 330 offers. Per @Talldoctor96 a current student posted here early this year about a lot of his classmates got out from the waitlist. but who knows all we can do is just wait and pray if you truly want to attend Rush
I am not trying to be a Debby downer but a realist. The fact is there were only 2 or 3 WL acceptances on last years thread which held true to the year before. Just going by what that usually means from a SDN perspective that doesn't translate to a lot of offers. They were at 150 on Jan 1st and many acceptances have been reported on here since.

Alright I just went to check cause I am such a nerd. It is 11:37 on a Friday lol but whatever. Trying to help my homies out.
Heres what I found:
Wanted to share that I was accepted from the waitlist yesterday! It's beginning, folks

Last year the first acceptance reported was on May 21st ^^
Hi all-

Just got a call from admissions that I was accepted off the waitlist! I interviewed in October and was subsequently deferred twice until being waitlisted in May. Hoping for the best for those still waiting! They said there is still a lot of movement going on with the class :)

And the second was reported in June ^^ only two were reported on the thread. So that's not great per se-- but the person did write "there is still movement going on". The thread also was less bumping last cycle than it was this year. So really its hard to know, but I don't think there's a TON of movement. But there will be some.

ALSO PS this is probably important. I had a question about the WL and someone responded and said there is gonna be a zoom thing about it in may for all the WL applicants so I am sure they will be able to tell us some stuff then.

Alright I just went to check cause I am such a nerd. It is 11:37 on a Friday lol but whatever. Trying to help my homies out.
Heres what I found:

Last year the first acceptance reported was on May 21st ^^

And the second was reported in June ^^ only two were reported on the thread. So that's not great per se-- but the person did write "there is still movement going on". The thread also was less bumping last cycle than it was this year. So really its hard to know, but I don't think there's a TON of movement. But there will be some.

ALSO PS this is probably important. I had a question about the WL and someone responded and said there is gonna be a zoom thing about it in may for all the WL applicants so I am sure they will be able to tell us some stuff then.
I will contrast this with a little bit of hope and facts. By January they had ~150 acceptances. They still had 2 more months of interviews but had roughly 230-260 acceptances by the end of their interview season. Each year they accept between 320-350 people. Doing the math here and you get a good amount pulled from the waitlist. If you only count who says they are accepted or pulled from the waitlist on SDN from any school on any given year you would be missing the vast majority of those two groups.

Reactions: 2 users
I will contrast this with a little bit of hope and facts. By January they had ~150 acceptances. They still had 2 more months of interviews but had roughly 230-260 acceptances by the end of their interview season. Each year they accept between 320-350 people. Doing the math here and you get a good amount pulled from the waitlist. If you only count who says they are accepted or pulled from the waitlist on SDN from any school on any given year you would be missing the vast majority of those two groups.
this is exactly what I said so the only thing is how big is their waitlist size. are all the rest of us (around 200 people) on the waitlist or some were rejected right after the interview? if they do reject people this year that means the chance to get pulled out is not slim. but you never know maybe all of a sudden everyone wants to attend Rush this year

this is exactly what I said so the only thing is how big is their waitlist size. are all the rest of us (around 200 people) on the waitlist or some were rejected right after the interview? if they do reject people this year that means the chance to get pulled out is not slim. but you never know maybe all of a sudden everyone wants to attend Rush this year
Exactly. And that I don’t know the answer to. No one has said they got rejected but few go out of their way to post that.

Love the optimism! I am all for hope. Where did you get the 230-260 number from? Just sharing my opinion.

If you only count who says they are accepted or pulled from the waitlist on SDN from any school on any given year you would be missing the vast majority of those two groups.

I tend to lean towards pessimism for a lot of things, but this is on the money. Someone tracked the aggregate self-reported II data from the 2015-2016 cycle on SDN, and there were a total of 4229 II's reported (for all schools). Consider that there's like 150 MD schools and most will invite anywhere from 200-800 students, so naturally we know that the actual number is far, far greater than this. Coupled with the fact that many users stop using SDN as the cycle goes on (such as when they finalize school decisions, etc.), results in very few WL acceptances actually being reported in the threads.

I tend to lean towards pessimism for a lot of things, but this is on the money. Someone tracked the aggregate self-reported II data from the 2015-2016 cycle on SDN, and there were a total of 4229 II's reported (for all schools). Consider that there's like 150 MD schools and most will invite anywhere from 200-800 students, so naturally we know that the actual number is far, far greater than this. Coupled with the fact that many users stop using SDN as the cycle goes on (such as when they finalize school decisions, etc.), results in very few WL acceptances actually being reported in the threads.

I think you're right, it's definitely gotten SOO quiet on the other forums I follow, and I know for a fact that at least one of them starts giving a siginicant amount of WL acceptances a week or two following the traffic day.

I think prepare for the worst, but also we aware that a lot of people are going to drop their A in a few days, and mid-May should result in some serious movement

Y’all are so deep in the weeds lol. The reality is we have 0 control over whether our name gets called. Just read a book, watch a tv show, enjoy time with your family :))

Has anyone who applied to the health equity and social justice program heard back yet? I know they’re supposed to let us know by the 30th the latest but was curious if anyone has heard sooner!

Has anyone who applied to the health equity and social justice program heard back yet? I know they’re supposed to let us know by the 30th the latest but was curious if anyone has heard sooner!
I was wondering the same thing. I applied as well but haven't heard back yet. Hoping we hear soon!

I was wondering the same thing. I applied as well but haven't heard back yet. Hoping we hear soon!
Yes same! I’m really excited about the program but I feel like a lot of people applied, fingers crossed we get it!

Rush Medical College Truth

*This is going to be a long post*

A couple of us (current students) at Rush wanted to give the true insight on our experience. We are an M1, M2, M3, and M4. This was written by a current M3 with input from all the other students as well. There are things that Rush, we imagine, does not advertise during their recruitment stints and wanted to expose the truth. If you have other options, we suggest you highly consider them.

Negatives:
There will be a lot here, and obviously we are only a few students so we dont represent the feeling of every student at Rush. First lets talk about the administration. We have no real dean, we have an “interim dean" who never interacts with students, cares more about his ED, and most students dont even know his name. Plus he’s a DO, which doesnt really matter but just seems odd. We have a president for the university, whom the University spent more money on celebrating her welcoming than they spend on wellness events for students. She has some office hour type things, but generally doesnt interact with students (at least none of us have ever seen her). The prior dean of the medical school was dean for all of 3 years, during which he did nothing. He used the position as a transition to becoming CEO of Rush health system. See the theme here? No real administration that cares about students.

The medical school administration is generally not helpful at all, if students bring up questions or concerns they either take forever to give us an answer like oh sorry we're not sure, or just dont respond to it at all. During the current COVID atmosphere, the administration has provided no support to us. We've had issues with financial aid, student affairs, administrative staff all of whom are non-clinical workers, telling us that they are all too busy with COVID stuff to respond to us. Hm, we're paying their salaries to take care of our financial aid, our administrative stuff but they're too busy for us? Who are they busy with? Furthermore, M3s have been preparing for step 1 for months now, with no end in sight. Meanwhile, our administration continues to tell us they have no guidance for us.

There is a massive disconnect between Rush Medical College and Rush University Medical Center. The medical center cares only about profit, and the health of the hospital. Many of you think that this is generally how its structured everywhere, but the problem comes in when you're in your clinical years. The attendings are employed by the hospital, and have no incentive to teach. In fact, their contracts are so that they have to sacrifice teaching to crank out cases or see patients in clinic (RVUs). They get bonuses based on how many cases they do a year or how many patients they see in clinic, etc. This is a terrible structure but Rush medical college cant do anything about it. Furthermore, Rush medical college charges more money than majority of medical schools out there, but cant pay their teaching attendings? Seems like the administration is eating a lot of money at Rush.

To make money matters worse, we have the worst financial aid department in America. They are truly unresponsive to student emails, like blatantly dont respond, and are not helpful at all. They have some seminars here and there that have titles that make you think, oh this is going to be helpful, and you go and you leave more confused then when you walked in. Sometimes, they even have people literally reading slides that they copy and paste from websites and when you ask a question they cant answer it. Its like they hired random people off the streets to run this department. And other times they present information that is just wrong. This financial aid departments response to many student requests is, we dont have enough staff. How is it so that this medical school is one of the most expensive schools in the country but you cant afford to hire another staff member?

Over the last few years, we have lost the best preclinical teachers. Luckily, they recorded a lot of lectures before they left and Rush now uses those for their "flipped classroom" classes, but the 2 of us that had some of those professors know that this is a huge loss to Rush. Those professors went out of their way to teach, answer questions, and generally progress you as medical students.

Lastly, this is a heavy thing to write about for some of us as we were personally affected, but the medical school has terrible support for students. We lost a student a year ago, a resident this past summer, and another resident 2 years ago. Even after this, the university has almost 0 wellness support. Sure residents have nothing to do with the medical school, and thats a different topic but this just goes to show that the medical school and health system do not care at all about their trainees. To them, M3/M4s are laborers who pay to do scut work and residents are cheap labor that run the hospital.

Positives:
We all agreed that the best part of Rush is the students. We all seem to get along very well, most classes having collectively outings, especially post-exam, pretty active group texts with things going on, everyone seems to have each others backs, and we all work very well together. Another positive is the training. Rush has amazing clinical training, that includes both rush medical center and Stroger hospital (flagship county hospital, first trauma center ever, and really a place where students have tons of autonomy). Location is another big positive, being in Chicago you always have things to do, new places to explore, and people to hang out with. We also have a lot of volunteering opportunities with student run clinics as well. Rush medical center is beautiful, but I wonder where all the money for it is coming from?

Feel free to message us or comment with questions or concerns and we will try to be as honest as possible. Transparency is critical, something our school doesnt value too much.

Reactions: 9 users

A couple of us (current students) at Rush wanted to give the true insight on our experience. We are an M1, M2, M3, and M4. This was written by a current M3 with input from all the other students as well. There are things that Rush, we imagine, does not advertise during their recruitment stints and wanted to expose the truth. If you have other options, we suggest you highly consider them.

Negatives:
There will be a lot here, and obviously we are only a few students so we dont represent the feeling of every student at Rush. First lets talk about the administration. We have no real dean, we have an “interim dean" who never interacts with students, cares more about his ED, and most students dont even know his name. Plus he’s a DO, which doesnt really matter but just seems odd. We have a president for the university, whom the University spent more money on celebrating her welcoming than they spend on wellness events for students. She has some office hour type things, but generally doesnt interact with students (at least none of us have ever seen her). The prior dean of the medical school was dean for all of 3 years, during which he did nothing. He used the position as a transition to becoming CEO of Rush health system. See the theme here? No real administration that cares about students.

The medical school administration is generally not helpful at all, if students bring up questions or concerns they either take forever to give us an answer like oh sorry we're not sure, or just dont respond to it at all. During the current COVID atmosphere, the administration has provided no support to us. We've had issues with financial aid, student affairs, administrative staff all of whom are non-clinical workers, telling us that they are all too busy with COVID stuff to respond to us. Hm, we're paying their salaries to take care of our financial aid, our administrative stuff but they're too busy for us? Who are they busy with? Furthermore, M3s have been preparing for step 1 for months now, with no end in sight. Meanwhile, our administration continues to tell us they have no guidance for us.

There is a massive disconnect between Rush Medical College and Rush University Medical Center. The medical center cares only about profit, and the health of the hospital. Many of you think that this is generally how its structured everywhere, but the problem comes in when you're in your clinical years. The attendings are employed by the hospital, and have no incentive to teach. In fact, their contracts are so that they have to sacrifice teaching to crank out cases or see patients in clinic (RVUs). They get bonuses based on how many cases they do a year or how many patients they see in clinic, etc. This is a terrible structure but Rush medical college cant do anything about it. Furthermore, Rush medical college charges more money than majority of medical schools out there, but cant pay their teaching attendings? Seems like the administration is eating a lot of money at Rush.

To make money matters worse, we have the worst financial aid department in America. They are truly unresponsive to student emails, like blatantly dont respond, and are not helpful at all. They have some seminars here and there that have titles that make you think, oh this is going to be helpful, and you go and you leave more confused then when you walked in. Sometimes, they even have people literally reading slides that they copy and paste from websites and when you ask a question they cant answer it. Its like they hired random people off the streets to run this department. And other times they present information that is just wrong. This financial aid departments response to many student requests is, we dont have enough staff. How is it so that this medical school is one of the most expensive schools in the country but you cant afford to hire another staff member?

Over the last few years, we have lost the best preclinical teachers. Luckily, they recorded a lot of lectures before they left and Rush now uses those for their "flipped classroom" classes, but the 2 of us that had some of those professors know that this is a huge loss to Rush. Those professors went out of their way to teach, answer questions, and generally progress you as medical students.

Lastly, this is a heavy thing to write about for some of us as we were personally affected, but the medical school has terrible support for students. We lost a student a year ago, a resident this past summer, and another resident 2 years ago. Even after this, the university has almost 0 wellness support. Sure residents have nothing to do with the medical school, and thats a different topic but this just goes to show that the medical school and health system do not care at all about their trainees. To them, M3/M4s are laborers who pay to do scut work and residents are cheap labor that run the hospital.

Positives:
We all agreed that the best part of Rush is the students. We all seem to get along very well, most classes having collectively outings, especially post-exam, pretty active group texts with things going on, everyone seems to have each others backs, and we all work very well together. Another positive is the training. Rush has amazing clinical training, that includes both rush medical center and Stroger hospital (flagship county hospital, first trauma center ever, and really a place where students have tons of autonomy). Location is another big positive, being in Chicago you always have things to do, new places to explore, and people to hang out with. We also have a lot of volunteering opportunities with student run clinics as well. Rush medical center is beautiful, but I wonder where all the money for it is coming from?

Feel free to message us or comment with questions or concerns and we will try to be as honest as possible. Transparency is critical, something our school doesnt value too much.
I appreciate this post! Thank you for being so transparent with us!

Negatives:

Positives:

Thanks for the write-up. As someone who’s trying to narrow down my choices between Rush and another school, I had a few follow ups

1- in regards to their finaid office, I’ve found them to be pretty dang fast/responsive. Do you think they’re prioritizing us to respond to and that they stop being so helpful after we commit?

2- What are your true thoughts on the whole flipped classroom? Since the good professors left and you’re using their material, do you think the proctored case sessions actually help as a lot of students say it does?

Interesting take on the admins not being responsive though, it was heavily advertised by students how responsive they were on interview day lol

Negatives:

Positives:

This post really surprised me... I felt Rush has been the most responsive and transparent school throughout my application cycle. The admissions team and medical students have also been so friendly.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for the write-up. As someone who’s trying to narrow down my choices between Rush and another school, I had a few follow ups

1- in regards to their finaid office, I’ve found them to be pretty dang fast/responsive. Do you think they’re prioritizing us to respond to and that they stop being so helpful after we commit?

2- What are your true thoughts on the whole flipped classroom? Since the good professors left and you’re using their material, do you think the proctored case sessions actually help as a lot of students say it does?

Interesting take on the admins not being responsive though, it was heavily advertised by students how responsive they were on interview day lol

1) they are absolutely prioritizing potential students (this is who will pay their salaries for the next 4 years, we're locked in to paying their salaries). ask any rush med student about their honest honest opinions about financial aid, and you'll get a similar response. you have to remember, as a medical student you are ~250k worth of potential money to medical schools. They're trying to sell their "product" to you.

2) flipped classrooms are being used almost everywhere, and rush was using mostly flipped classroom even for our current M4s (the last class to experience the "old curriculum") so I think rush almost had to switch to this curriculum because everyone else was doing it. the proctored cases are good if you have a good proctor. Some proctors are notoriously amazing and others terrible. So its hit or miss based on who you have. Some proctored sessions are hours longer than they need to be and a waste of time. Its a good idea, but poor execution and no standardization.

This post really surprised me... I felt Rush has been the most responsive and transparent school throughout my application cycle. The admissions team and medical students have also been so friendly.

Thats what many of us thought when we were in your shoes. But you have to remember the people selling rush to you right now arent the ones that will be teaching you for 4 years. Also, some of us have done rush's recruitment stuff and its a production. We get a good free lunch to give you guys the positives of rush.

1) they are absolutely prioritizing potential students (this is who will pay their salaries for the next 4 years, we're locked in to paying their salaries). ask any rush med student about their honest honest opinions about financial aid, and you'll get a similar response. you have to remember, as a medical student you are ~250k worth of potential money to medical schools. They're trying to sell their "product" to you.

2) flipped classrooms are being used almost everywhere, and rush was using mostly flipped classroom even for our current M4s (the last class to experience the "old curriculum") so I think rush almost had to switch to this curriculum because everyone else was doing it. the proctored cases are good if you have a good proctor. Some proctors are notoriously amazing and others terrible. So its hit or miss based on who you have. Some proctored sessions are hours longer than they need to be and a waste of time. Its a good idea, but poor execution and no standardization.
As far as finaid goes, is the issue just limited to communication? Or do you guys have issues with actual funding (i.e not receiving money)?