-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 SUNY - Downstate
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Is it worth meeting with financial aid and seeing the residence hall?
iluvmedicine528
Full Member
congrats! when were you complete? Also during the interview I think they have a financial aid presentation but if not I'm sure you can request to meet with someone from financial aid. Also I heard that you have to request to see the residence hall but I'm sure it's worth it if you're considering living on campus for medical school.II now First love from a SUNY!!! IS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
7/19 complete and LM score 66congrats! when were you complete? Also during the interview I think they have a financial aid presentation but if not I'm sure you can request to meet with someone from financial aid. Also I heard that you have to request to see the residence hall but I'm sure it's worth it if you're considering living on campus for medical school.
The financial aid presentation is <10 minutes and they just tell you about the loans and tuition mainlyIs it worth meeting with financial aid and seeing the residence hall?
Also got an II today. So happy to hear back from downstate with good news as it’s my local state school and was the only state school in NY I had not heard an interview decision from one way or another. Don’t give up hope if you applied early and hadn’t heard back yet!
Complete early July. IS
LizzyM 77
Interview dates in January
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Complete early July. IS
LizzyM 77
Interview dates in January
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
decentgene12
Full Member
II today, complete early July, LM score of 74!
Fin aid is not worth it. Mine was literally 5 minutes of hearing a man talk about how little money they have to give (for grants/scholarships), so they just tell you info you can find on the website regarding loans and deadlinesIs it worth meeting with financial aid and seeing the residence hall?
I submitted my Downstate secondary in late August/Early September but haven't heard back from them yet...does anyone know how long it usually takes for them to get back or when the last date is to receive an II? (IS applicant with LM ~67 and WARS ~85)
I submitted my Downstate secondary in late August/Early September but haven't heard back from them yet...does anyone know how long it usually takes for them to get back or when the last date is to receive an II? (IS applicant with LM ~67 and WARS ~85)
its random according to their website
iluvmedicine528
Full Member
Yeah according to their website the applications are reviewed based on a modified rolling basis. Do not worry if you have not heard back yet. I was complete 7/24 and have not heard back. I believe they interview until Feb-March but I may be wrong.I submitted my Downstate secondary in late August/Early September but haven't heard back from them yet...does anyone know how long it usually takes for them to get back or when the last date is to receive an II? (IS applicant with LM ~67 and WARS ~85)
Received my first II ever today! Complete 7/29. What dates were available for you guys? Earliest I saw was 12/4 and latest was in early jan. Didn’t look further.
girlwhoneedsanap
New Member
II an hour ago, complete late July and have an LM score of 70! Only saw dates for late Jan
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to those who recently received interviews! I was complete 7/18, but have heard nothing from them 🙁 sigh...
Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile
Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile
II an hour ago, complete late July and have an LM score of 70! Only saw dates for late Jan
+1, I only saw February dates
iluvmedicine528
Full Member
Complete 7/24 and haven’t heard back either hang in there!Congrats to those who recently received interviews! I was complete 7/18, but have heard nothing from them 🙁 sigh...
Sent from my SM-G973U using SDN mobile
Sorry, I missed this! I was complete on 7/15,Complete date?
4everrunning
Full Member
II today! Complete late Aug, IS, LM ~68 WARS ~84. Does anyone has experience with student housing? Is it recommended? (Live kinda close by the school).
iluvmedicine528
Full Member
It all honestly depends on you! Student housing is right across the street from the library so it’s super convenient but a lot of students that I’ve spoken too actually live off campus around 10 mins from campus. I also heard of students who commute from home.II today! Complete late Aug, IS, LM ~68 WARS ~84. Does anyone has experience with student housing? Is it recommended? (Live kinda close by the school).
One traditional (~1 hour) and a follow-up phone call with a studentWhat is their interview style? Traditional or MMI?
4everrunning
Full Member
It all honestly depends on you! Student housing is right across the street from the library so it’s super convenient but a lot of students that I’ve spoken too actually live off campus around 10 mins from campus. I also heard of students who commute from home.
Thank you!
BillyOsler
Full Member
Anyone else not get their peer-to-peer conversation yet? It's been almost two months for me...
Anyone else not get their peer-to-peer conversation yet? It's been almost two months for me...
How does this work? Do they tell you they will follow up on how to schedule it or is it going to be a surprise?
A student should email you with their availability to schedule a video call within 2 weeks of said emailHow does this work? Do they tell you they will follow up on how to schedule it or is it going to be a surprise?
What dates are left? And does downstate interview through the weekday, or is there a specific day in the week (i.e. they do all their interviews on a Friday)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted971841
I remember when I got my II, there were several options available each week. Meanwhile, others who got their II the same day said there was only one or two days available. I don’t know exactly what that means, all I can say is that data from other people may not be representative.What dates are left? And does downstate interview through the weekday, or is there a specific day in the week (i.e. they do all their interviews on a Friday)
weird, I had my student interview, literally a few days after the interview ( last week)Anyone else not get their peer-to-peer conversation yet? It's been almost two months for me...
same hereweird, I had my student interview, literally a few days after the interview ( last week)
Maybe you missed the email? Happened to me, even though I check it all the time. I only realized because the interviewer followed up a few days after.Anyone else not get their peer-to-peer conversation yet? It's been almost two months for me...
Does anyone know the good a pre-II Letter of Intent letter would do? Mainly asking because I had to submit my primary and secondary quite late (wasn't complete at Downstate until 10/30). I'm hoping they don't think of my app with them was an afterthought.
For a host of reasons and as a local, Downstate is by far my top choice. I recently got hit with the SUNY Buffalo pre-II reject and sort of afraid of the other SUNYs following suit.
Good luck to everyone else out there!
For a host of reasons and as a local, Downstate is by far my top choice. I recently got hit with the SUNY Buffalo pre-II reject and sort of afraid of the other SUNYs following suit.
Good luck to everyone else out there!
Last edited:
Im hoping you expressed this on the secondary as there was a lot of ways to indicate this. Downstate does random review im pretty sure. Also downstate does not do pre-ii updates/interest letters/etcFor a host of reasons and as a local, Downstate is by far my top choice.
Im hoping you expressed this on the secondary as there was a lot of ways to indicate this. Downstate does random review im pretty sure. Also downstate does not do pre-ii updates/interest letters/etc
Thanks for the response! I certainly did, though I wish I did expand on it more in retrospect. What's done is done though so fingers crossed

Im hoping you expressed this on the secondary as there was a lot of ways to indicate this. Downstate does random review im pretty sure. Also downstate does not do pre-ii updates/interest letters/etc
They do pre-ii updates
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
iluvmedicine528
Full Member
Where did you see this? I remember having it on my notes that they do accept pre-II updates but when I checked again I couldn't find where they stated that lol.
Where did you see this? I remember having it on my notes that they do accept pre-II updates but when I checked again I couldn't find where they stated that lol.
Right above withdraw it says Document upload
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Where did you see this? I remember having it on my notes that they do accept pre-II updates but when I checked again I couldn't find where they stated that lol.
It is likely that your application itself warranted the interview
The interview is open file right?
Yesss
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called and asked the admissions office who said they do accept updates, either by email or through the portal.
Around what time does the interview day end?
I just had my interview today, I scheduled mine for morning so I was done by 1:30. LM~73. Glad to answer any other questions.
Any general advice? Things they emphasized?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I just had my interview today, I scheduled mine for morning so I was done by 1:30. LM~73. Glad to answer any other questions.
Ditto. Thank you