2019-2020 SUNY Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think they would tell us what our updated wl spots are after waitlist movement started?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think they would tell us what our updated wl spots are after waitlist movement started?
They will tell you the general spot (nothing specific). Usually in the form of "we usually reach this spot", "we sometimes reach this spot", and "we rarely reach this spot".

Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew, good luck to everyone waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
Just to keep people informed was accepted sometime last week, was told they’ve reached my spot in previous years but wouldn’t know more until June!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard anything about registering for classes? I saw one person talking about getting required items for pom1 but all I've done was the new student checklist and accept my loans

Has anyone heard anything about registering for classes? I saw one person talking about getting required items for pom1 but all I've done was the new student checklist and accept my loans
I don't remember ever registering for classes except electives last year. I'm pretty sure it is done for students so you don't have to worry about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I was accepted a month ago and haven’t heard much as far as required supplies for this year. Does anybody know if we are supposed to receive a physical acceptance packet?

Hi! I was accepted a month ago and haven’t heard much as far as required supplies for this year. Does anybody know if we are supposed to receive a physical acceptance packet?
You will, but it takes a while! If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Does anyone know how electives work during ms1 and ms2? Looking at the schedule that we got on interview day, I dont see any spots for electives during the first 2 years but I'd really like to take all of the medical spanish classes

Does anyone know how electives work during ms1 and ms2? Looking at the schedule that we got on interview day, I dont see any spots for electives during the first 2 years but I'd really like to take all of the medical spanish classes

In general, you do not need to register for any classes. You only need to "register" for classes if they are elective (i.e. outside the actual undergraduate medical curriculum).
The way electives work (for MS1 and MS2): Any email is sent out from the course director/coordinator --> you reply --> pretty much automatically enrolled.

There is a separate category for "Unique Electives" wherein you can create your own electives. You can do this for MS1-4, but requires a little more effort on your part. You will have to fill out a form including how you will conduct and be graded on your objectives, which GC-EPOs (Graduating Competencies and Educational Program Objectives) are fulfilled in your unique elective, etc.

There is a decent amount of students who take the medical spanish elective during the first and second year. If you already have a good understanding/fluent in Spanish, you may be eligible for the advanced course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today off of the HPA list. When I emailed them in May they said sometimes they get to my spot and sometimes they don't, and when I emailed them again at the beginning of June they said I had a very good chance at getting off. Just to keep everyone informed!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today off of the HPA list. When I emailed them in May they said sometimes they get to my spot and sometimes they don't, and when I emailed them again at the beginning of June they said I had a very good chance at getting off. Just to keep everyone informed!
Congratulations!

wondering if anyone knew if OOS students were eligible for IS tuition after a year // if anyone know someone who's done this? I know people have done this at Buffalo which is also a SUNY so I was hoping Upstate allowed the same!

wondering if anyone knew if OOS students were eligible for IS tuition after a year // if anyone know someone who's done this? I know people have done this at Buffalo which is also a SUNY so I was hoping Upstate allowed the same!

I'm not OOS, but I remember at my interview session, a interviewee asked the current medical students the same question and they said that they know people who have done that, but to keep in contact with the financial aid office to ensure you are meeting all of the required criteria.

any current med students who can provide more info on the Binghamton Campus for clinicals?

Current oos student here. It is possible. Make sure to get your new york drivers license and register your car in New York as soon as you arrive in Syracuse. You will be able to apply for in state tuition one year from that date.

Got accepted from HPA list but will be turning it down in favor of Downstate. Good luck everyone still waiting!

Got off HPA but will most likely be attending another school, is it possible to see my financial aid here before planning or committing to enroll?

Got off HPA but will most likely be attending another school, is it possible to see my financial aid here before planning or committing to enroll?
I would try calling financial aid office (315 464-4570) and see if they can tell you anything. That's probably your best bet, but it may take them a few days to process everything.

Accepted yesterday off the HPWL, but declined it today. Yay for the next person on list!

I was told in May that sometimes they get to my spot on the list and sometimes they don’t.

Can anyone shed light on what stats (gpa and MCAT score) you need for the High Priority Alternate/waitlist? Are the stats in the midrange (MCAT 513 for example) or lower 25% (MCAT 510 or less) of the entering class based on MSAR? Just curious to know for the current/upcoming application cycle.

Can anyone shed light on what stats (gpa and MCAT score) you need for the High Priority Alternate/waitlist? Are the stats in the midrange (MCAT 513 for example) or lower 25% (MCAT 510 or less) of the entering class based on MSAR? Just curious to know for the current/upcoming application cycle.
I was accepted off of the HPA list but I think I was one of the first HPA people to be accepted. I had cgpa of 3.56 and MCAT 511. However keep in mind that GPA and mcat may only be a small component of what gets you put on HPA vs accepted vs rejected. I'm sure your interview performance weighs heavily.

I was accepted off of the HPA list but I think I was one of the first HPA people to be accepted. I had cgpa of 3.56 and MCAT 511. However keep in mind that GPA and mcat may only be a small component of what gets you put on HPA vs accepted vs rejected. I'm sure your interview performance weighs heavily.
Going to second this and expand upon it. I was also one of the first off the list, and had a 513/3.93. Despite these decent stats, Upstate was my only interview invite because in hindsight, my extracurriculars/volunteering weren't great. Luckily, I got the interview, and I think the main reason I was put relatively high on the HPA list, despite my crappy extracurriculars, was the fact that I killed the interview. They're not kidding when they tell you on interview day that the interview is the main component they care about, because the interview is what saved me. So to answer your question about the upcoming cycle: have decent enough stats (MCAT/GPA relative to their averages) and a well-rounded enough application to land an interview. Once you get the interview, your initial application matters much less to them, so make sure you nail the interview and you'll get in. Hope that helps.

Going to second this and expand upon it. I was also one of the first off the list, and had a 513/3.93. Despite these decent stats, Upstate was my only interview invite because in hindsight, my extracurriculars/volunteering weren't great. Luckily, I got the interview, and I think the main reason I was put relatively high on the HPA list, despite my crappy extracurriculars, was the fact that I killed the interview. They're not kidding when they tell you on interview day that the interview is the main component they care about, because the interview is what saved me. So to answer your question about the upcoming cycle: have decent enough stats (MCAT/GPA relative to their averages) and a well-rounded enough application to land an interview. Once you get the interview, your initial application matters much less to them, so make sure you nail the interview and you'll get in. Hope that helps.
Yeah I had a 3.94 GPA and 515 MCAT and was put on the HPA in October, ultimately was accepted but decided to go to another school

I had a 509/~3.7 and I got off HPA last minute

To answer your question, there is no particular score you need. You could, for instance, have a "mediocre" MCAT/GPA, but make up for it in other categories. As others have posted, the applicants are placed according to several data points (academic performance, extracurriculars, and interview). The summation of your submitted application puts you in a category (rejection, waitlist, HPA, accept).

Current oos student here. It is possible. Make sure to get your new york drivers license and register your car in New York as soon as you arrive in Syracuse. You will be able to apply for in state tuition one year from that date.
hi there, just wondering what you'd do if you dont have a car? I am definitely transfering my license and voter registration, but i wasn't planning on bringing a car till 2nd or 3rd year, so I was unsure if there was anything else I should do to help my case for IS tuition?

hi there, just wondering what you'd do if you dont have a car? I am definitely transfering my license and voter registration, but i wasn't planning on bringing a car till 2nd or 3rd year, so I was unsure if there was anything else I should do to help my case for IS tuition?
It's fine if you do not have a car. They will ask for other documents such as bank statements with your New York address on it. One additional thing to note is that the application does ask whether you have been financially independent for two years before you apply for NYS residency.

It's fine if you do not have a car. They will ask for other documents such as bank statements with your New York address on it. One additional thing to note is that the application does ask whether you have been financially independent for two years before you apply for NYS residency.

Thank you !! I really appreciate it! Are you filing for IS yourself?