2019-2020 SUNY Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh great, I thought we could only do that starting in May. I will reach out and congrats on the good spot!

Thanks, and best of luck to you on getting off the list!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I am high school senior was recently admitted to many T20 undergrads and also 2 BS/MD Programs (SUNY Upstate and Virignia Commonwealth Med). I have made a list of all the programs I am considering and needed some advice. I am pretty set on BS/MD but will include regular undergrad options as well.

Adelphi University + SUNY Upstate- 7 year program
Pros:

- No MCAT
- 7 year program
- 1.5 hours from home
- Adelphi is a private school with seminar style classes
- Close to NYC
- Will have a pretty light premed experience since they accepted my dual enrollment credit for Gen Chem I & II, Gen Bio I & II, Gen Physics I & II

Cons:
- Fairly new program
- Not as highly ranked as VCU (I don't know if this matters).
- Cohort of BS/MD kids will be 2-3 students and I don't know if I will find people as driven as I am during undergrad.
- Syracuse is cold
- Will not be able to make connections at Upstate early on since it is in Syracuse, but Long Island Jewish Hospital and NYU Winthrop are close to Adelphi University.
- Not as great research at Adelphi.

Virignia Commonwealth University + VCU SOM- 8 year program

Pros:
- Established and reputed program
- 5 min from med school so ample opportunities to do research and get published while also making connections with faculty early on which might prove beneficial once in med school
- Loved the honors college and the comradery among BS/MD students.
- Great Med School
- Cohort of 15 driven students
- Great Dorms- single rooms for all honors college students with private bathrooms
- Honors college is well set up
- Better weather

Cons:
- 8 year program- but I can graduate in three years and then do something else for the 4th year
- 508 MCAT
- More required science courses
- 5 hours away from home

Undergrad Schools:
USC- Keck School of Medicine Global Health Undergrad Program
University of Michigan- Did research with the global leader in prostate cancer. Will do research here for all of undergrad if I go. Will graduate in three years since I can transfer 64 credits from dual enrollment.
University of NC Chapel Hill- Will graduate in three years since I can transfer 64 credits from dual enrollment.

Again, I am leading towards BS/MD program. I am very very confused since I loved both...needed some advice on how to go about things.

Yup, same here. If you're curious, you can email them about how good your odds are/if they got to your spot on the list in past years. I haven't gotten into any other schools, so I asked about where I stood and I got a timely response saying I was in a good spot on the list.
When did you reach out to them? I was placed on HPA in late October and emailed them in February (it was painful to even wait that long tbh) and they told me they couldn't release that info until April/May, so I was going to wait a little longer....now I doubt I will be able to last until the end of the day lol.

EDIT - I was right. I couldn't wait. Held out for 22 minutes though!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I am high school senior was recently admitted to many T20 undergrads and also 2 BS/MD Programs (SUNY Upstate and Virignia Commonwealth Med). I have made a list of all the programs I am considering and needed some advice. I am pretty set on BS/MD but will include regular undergrad options as well.

Adelphi University + SUNY Upstate- 7 year program
Pros:

- No MCAT
- 7 year program
- 1.5 hours from home
- Adelphi is a private school with seminar style classes
- Close to NYC
- Will have a pretty light premed experience since they accepted my dual enrollment credit for Gen Chem I & II, Gen Bio I & II, Gen Physics I & II

Cons:
- Fairly new program
- Not as highly ranked as VCU (I don't know if this matters).
- Cohort of BS/MD kids will be 2-3 students and I don't know if I will find people as driven as I am during undergrad.
- Syracuse is cold
- Will not be able to make connections at Upstate early on since it is in Syracuse, but Long Island Jewish Hospital and NYU Winthrop are close to Adelphi University.
- Not as great research at Adelphi.

Virignia Commonwealth University + VCU SOM- 8 year program

Pros:
- Established and reputed program
- 5 min from med school so ample opportunities to do research and get published while also making connections with faculty early on which might prove beneficial once in med school
- Loved the honors college and the comradery among BS/MD students.
- Great Med School
- Cohort of 15 driven students
- Great Dorms- single rooms for all honors college students with private bathrooms
- Honors college is well set up
- Better weather

Cons:
- 8 year program- but I can graduate in three years and then do something else for the 4th year
- 508 MCAT
- More required science courses
- 5 hours away from home

Undergrad Schools:
USC- Keck School of Medicine Global Health Undergrad Program
University of Michigan- Did research with the global leader in prostate cancer. Will do research here for all of undergrad if I go. Will graduate in three years since I can transfer 64 credits from dual enrollment.
University of NC Chapel Hill- Will graduate in three years since I can transfer 64 credits from dual enrollment.

Again, I am leading towards BS/MD program. I am very very confused since I loved both...needed some advice on how to go about things.
Seems like you're leaning toward VCU tbh. Go with where you feel you would be happy. I really don't think you can judge a class's drive from the outside as people learn and get work done in different ways. Obviously, if they have been accepted into the same program, they are fairly like-minded. Also, as much as the MCAT is a beast and preparing for it will most likely be terrible, it truly is a good review of things for medical school and it will be a good foundation for your medical education.

When did you reach out to them? I was placed on HPA in late October and emailed them in February (it was painful to even wait that long tbh) and they told me they couldn't release that info until April/May, so I was going to wait a little longer....now I doubt I will be able to last until the end of the day lol.

EDIT - I was right. I couldn't wait. Held out for 22 minutes though!
did they get back to you about your chances yet? Are they giving detailed estimates at this time?

Is there a Class of 2024 Facebook page created for accepted students? I can’t seem to find one.

Hi Errybody! Congrats to those of you accepted! I'm a second year student and would be happy to answer any questions y'all have. Additionally for anyone looking off campus (outside of Geneva Tower) for housing, my lovely 3BR/1B 600pm flat is emptying and my landlord is eager to get it rented for next year. A lot of MD/PhD students live in the neighborhood as well. Good luck to everyone still waiting, and stay safe out there!
Do you happen to approx what percent of your class came from HPA?

In addition to the tech program they have 2 other pathways. All 3 programs have conditional acceptance to SUNY upstate upon completion. I didn’t inquire about the length of each program but I’m assuming they’re all one year
1) masters in public health
2) AMSNY buffalo postbac program. This is more to strengthen an application with MCAT prep available as well

Would anyone be able to describe the conditional acceptance? is it an acceptance or a guaranteed interview?

Would anyone be able to describe the conditional acceptance? is it an acceptance or a guaranteed interview?
Idk about the masters but the AMSNY is in fact a conditional acceptance upon completion of that program but you have to be invited to it

Reactions: 1 user

Once you complete the program that the school has invited you to complete, if you finish in good standing, you can join their next class. So if you do well in the program, it's a guaranteed acceptance.

Withdrew my A today, I hope one of you gets the spot!

Has anyone tried reaching out to admissions recently and heard back? I reached out to them about HPA last Tuesday and haven't heard anything. I know COVID is probably creating a ton of issues for them and causing a back up in emails and want to give them the benefit of the doubt! They are usually pretty fast about responding...

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone tried reaching out to admissions recently and heard back? I reached out to them about HPA last Tuesday and haven't heard anything. I know COVID is probably creating a ton of issues for them and causing a back up in emails and want to give them the benefit of the doubt! They are usually pretty fast about responding...
I sent an email this week and recieved a response 2 hrs later.

Is there a way to withdraw on the portal or do you need to email admissions to withdraw?

Withdrew my A today, good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!!

Anyone know if Upstate is receptive to updates after being placed on the HPA?

They said in my HPA email that no LOI/updates will change our ranking on the HPA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is everybody doing with FinAid? I got nothing and that's kind of like a deal breaker. Is there anyway that can be negotiated or changed?

How is everybody doing with FinAid? I got nothing and that's kind of like a deal breaker. Is there anyway that can be negotiated or changed?

Also got nothing (only loans). I will be withdrawing my acceptance as a result. Good luck all!

I’m really hoping HPA movement is better than last year! Anyone think it will be?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I’m really hoping HPA movement is better than last year! Anyone think it will be?

Let's see. For good movement we need people to withdraw. For this we need them to have multiple options. Now imo covid limited interviews towards end of this cycle, which would lead to the opposite of good hpal movement. This is just my thinking. I really hope someone comes in with better logic to say Im wrong and make all of us feel better about our chances lol

Let's see. For good movement we need people to withdraw. For this we need them to have multiple options. Now imo covid limited interviews towards end of this cycle, which would lead to the opposite of good hpal movement. This is just my thinking. I really hope someone comes in with better logic to say Im wrong and make all of us feel better about our chances lol
if anything, to the contrary, those additional interviews (which were not done due to COVID) could have ONLY increased the number of HPA and A's, leading to less availability and acceptance offers to those students already present on the HPA list

if anything, to the contrary, those additional interviews (which were not done due to COVID) could have ONLY increased the number of HPA and A's, leading to less availability and acceptance offers to those students already present on the HPA list
I feel like we're saying the same thing...

So if we’ve payed the deposit (and got confirmation) and have plan to enroll selected (also confirmed), were good for Upstate right? We don’t need to CTE until sometime around July 18th, correct?

If there are any current students out there, I found the below message on a previous year's feed and was wondering if this is accurate? And if so, how would living in Madison or Jefferson towers compare?

"I am currently a student at upstate and I would like to say DO NOT live in geneva towers next year. The windows don't open so it can get very stuffy in the rooms. You have a thermostat but it doesn't really control your room. It is a green building so the heating is averaged by floor so if everyone on your floor likes it really hot and you don't you're SOL cuz it's gonna be hot. The walls are paper thin so you can hear everything that is going on in the apartments around yours. You can also hear people from other apartments through the vents. It is not THAT close to campus, definitely not worth paying for the location. It costs about DOUBLE as any other apartment you can find in the city. Lastly, there are RA's that patrol the building. So if you enjoyed living in dorms and being told what to do even though you are an adult then feel free to live in Geneva. Avoid unless you have no other option"

I got an email about an hour ago saying that they reached my name on the HPA. I emailed them for clarification, but does this mean I was accepted?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I got an email about an hour ago saying that they reached my name on the HPA. I emailed them for clarification, but does this mean I was accepted?

I believe so

Reactions: 1 users
My wife got in! Interviewed in first week of February, HPA list in March, A today!

Reactions: 3 users
If there are any current students out there, I found the below message on a previous year's feed and was wondering if this is accurate? And if so, how would living in Madison or Jefferson towers compare?

"I am currently a student at upstate and I would like to say DO NOT live in geneva towers next year. The windows don't open so it can get very stuffy in the rooms. You have a thermostat but it doesn't really control your room. It is a green building so the heating is averaged by floor so if everyone on your floor likes it really hot and you don't you're SOL cuz it's gonna be hot. The walls are paper thin so you can hear everything that is going on in the apartments around yours. You can also hear people from other apartments through the vents. It is not THAT close to campus, definitely not worth paying for the location. It costs about DOUBLE as any other apartment you can find in the city. Lastly, there are RA's that patrol the building. So if you enjoyed living in dorms and being told what to do even though you are an adult then feel free to live in Geneva. Avoid unless you have no other option"

Oof current students PLEASE elaborate. Gotta pay this lease soon!!

Has anyone heard back from the med prep/med scholars program?

To paraphrase the email, I am on the HPA list at a location that they havent always reached, so it's hard to tell.

Oof current students PLEASE elaborate. Gotta pay this lease soon!!

I haven't lived in Geneva, but have had several friends who do. I think the post you quoted is accurate, although a bit biased.
Cons:
- Windows don't open all the way, though they do open. I think the post is referring that the windows cannot slide open like traditional windows. If they are like the windows throughout the rest of the school, they tilt open.
- Thermostat, apparently. I've never heard anyone complain about it, but what the mentioned post wrote does seem annoying
- It's a dorm. Expect to pay more, have tighter living conditions, etc.

Pros:
- It's really not that far. People who don't live in Geneva will typically live in Madison/Jefferson which is about 15 seconds shorter of a walk. Most friends (from either Geneva, Madison, or Jefferson) only dislike the walk when it is brutally cold or raining. Most of the walk, though, can be "indoors" using the car garages.
- It's a dorm. You're paying more, but you also have everything covered (except food). Some people like to click a button in the beginning of the year paying the bill and then never thinking about it again.
- Social-friendly. A large proportion of your class (especially in the first two years) will live in Geneva, Madison, or Jefferson. This makes hanging out and seeing friends easy.

Personally, I did not live in Geneva. Prior to school, I had an apartment and was not about to go back to "dorm life". I commute ~10-15 minutes to get to campus as I got an apartment in a neighboring town.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm sorry it took awhile for someone to answer you. I'll try to answer faster.

Edit: Saw the last part of the question, sorry. Living in Geneva vs Madison/Jefferson is somewhat comparable. M/J is definitely less "dormy" and more apartment-like. It's cheaper, but unlike Geneva, you have to furnish your own apartment.

I haven't lived in Geneva, but have had several friends who do. I think the post you quoted is accurate, although a bit biased.
Cons:
- Windows don't open all the way, though they do open. I think the post is referring that the windows cannot slide open like traditional windows. If they are like the windows throughout the rest of the school, they tilt open.
- Thermostat, apparently. I've never heard anyone complain about it, but what the mentioned post wrote does seem annoying
- It's a dorm. Expect to pay more, have tighter living conditions, etc.

Pros:
- It's really not that far. People who don't live in Geneva will typically live in Madison/Jefferson which is about 15 seconds shorter of a walk. Most friends (from either Geneva, Madison, or Jefferson) only dislike the walk when it is brutally cold or raining. Most of the walk, though, can be "indoors" using the car garages.
- It's a dorm. You're paying more, but you also have everything covered (except food). Some people like to click a button in the beginning of the year paying the bill and then never thinking about it again.
- Social-friendly. A large proportion of your class (especially in the first two years) will live in Geneva, Madison, or Jefferson. This makes hanging out and seeing friends easy.

Personally, I did not live in Geneva. Prior to school, I had an apartment and was not about to go back to "dorm life". I commute ~10-15 minutes to get to campus as I got an apartment in a neighboring town.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm sorry it took awhile for someone to answer you. I'll try to answer faster.

Edit: Saw the last part of the question, sorry. Living in Geneva vs Madison/Jefferson is somewhat comparable. M/J is definitely less "dormy" and more apartment-like. It's cheaper, but unlike Geneva, you have to furnish your own apartment.
[/QUOTE

This is incredible, thank you so much for taking the time to write it out. I am leaning towards living in one of these buildings (in the first year or two) for the social aspects and being able to more easily group-study. Unless corona comes back in the fall and it doesn't matter anyways...

I have most room furnishings now from an apartment, so might prefer M/J in this situation. Seeing Geneva is card access at all entries, would you just have a friend let you in if you wanted to visit them in Geneva?

Seeing Geneva is card access at all entries, would you just have a friend let you in if you wanted to visit them in Geneva?

Yes. In Geneva and M/J you can look up your friend on a keypad thing and 'buzz' them. They can then unlock the door remotely.

I heard back from med masters (MPH) on Thursday and got my formal acceptance letter yesterday morning!

Thank you! I just saw online they extended the applications to May 5th for the Med prep/med scholars program.
They said they send out interviews after the deadline so maybe they’ll get back to us then.

Has anyone else tried emailing them about their position on the HPA list?

I don't know if it's different for MD and MD/PhD but the MD/PhD folks weren't able to tell me. Are you emailing the general admissions email or to someone specific? I emailed general admissions office several weeks ago and they never got to me.

Yes, and they replied. Now is a good time to email them about your relative position on their list!

Can any current students clarify if Upstate has a simulation center/what the resources are?
I am a first year and we got to use the new sim center a little bit this year. It did just open, so I would assume going forward there will be a lot more use for pre-clinical students than what we were able to do this year. Its super cool and has a really nice lobby, several patient rooms, an OR, conference rooms, etc...

Here is a link from the website about it: About | Academic Affairs | SUNY Upstate Medical University

I am just finishing my first year at Upstate, so if you have any questions or need to rant, feel free to reach out! Good luck to everyone still waiting, trust me I know it is super difficult. There is still hope!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I am just finishing my first year at Upstate, so if you have any questions or need to rant, feel free to reach out! Good luck to everyone still waiting, trust me I know it is super difficult. There is still hope!!!!
Mind if you add me so I can send you a message? Thanks!!