2019-2020 TCU & UNTHSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also more info about it here too:

News on hospital collaboration and plans for residency programs in Forth Worth:

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Just got the rejection email after 4 or 5 holds. Good luck to everyone else still waiting and congrats to all those that got accepted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Second rejection after interviewing here two years in a row. Stings, but I’ll get over it. Best of luck to everyone!

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Second rejection after interviewing here two years in a row. Stings, but I’ll get over it. Best of luck to everyone!

• Sad
Anyone hear from anyone else offline? I wish we all had more info.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone hear from anyone else offline? I wish we all had more info.
Always grateful to still be in the game obviously, but man does 18+ weeks of anticipation really change how I feel about Fridays between 4-7pm lol. I hope the wait pays off for us soon. It will be worth it!! Already counting down the days to the next decision release!

there’s a lot of silence on here... is anyone out there on hold still?? My non SDN friend from my interview (9/23) is still on hold as well. @Spybil @galex95 are y’all still hanging in there?

I withdrew my app unfortunately

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately

I wish that happened. I had to withdraw because I could not get some of the pre-req done in time.

Sorry to hear. I wonder if the pre-reqs are non-negotiable.

When do they want the pre-reqs completed by?

per their FAQ on the website: “Applicants can apply prior to having all courses completed; however, any outstanding courses must be completed and graded prior to the start of medical school. The final official transcript with graded coursework must be received no later than June 1 prior the start of medical school in July.”

And @ayjaystudent ... The pre-reqs are more than likely non-negotiable. That’s why their called pre-requisites for admission.

Look Y’all, don’t you think he discussed that with the admissions office?
TCU/UNTHSC’s pre-reqs are a little different than most TX schools, but they exist for a reason and aren’t up for negotiation.

per their FAQ on the website: “Applicants can apply prior to having all courses completed; however, any outstanding courses must be completed and graded prior to the start of medical school. The final official transcript with graded coursework must be received no later than June 1 prior the start of medical school in July.”

Thank you for sharing this. I did not know June 1st is the deadline.

Does anyone know if all decisions will be made by 3/13, the last decision date? Or will there still be people put on hold/waitlisted?

And @ayjaystudent ... The pre-reqs are more than likely non-negotiable. That’s why their called pre-requisites for admission.
Yeah the physio requirement was hard for me to accomplish this semester. I tried to see if I could get it done at a CC or online, but it was hard to find a place where the course finished before June 1.

Yeah the physio requirement was hard for me to accomplish this semester. I tried to see if I could get it done at a CC or online, but it was hard to find a place where the course finished before June 1.

That’s such a bummer. I think a lot of people assume they can take the course in the summer, when that really isn’t the case.

Does anyone know if all decisions will be made by 3/13, the last decision date? Or will there still be people put on hold/waitlisted?
I believe that holds will become waitlists is the concept. That's how it worked last year from the looks of it. I mean they can still pull people off the waitlist to become A's or R's but they can still "hold" you on the waitlist.

I believe that holds will become waitlists is the concept. That's how it worked last year from the looks of it. I mean they can still pull people off the waitlist to become A's or R's but they can still "hold" you on the waitlist.
I’m hoping that they haven’t filled their entire allotted acceptances by March 13 and that we see some movement. Maybe some holds will get accepted once they get through everyone. I want to know what I’m doing with my life!! I’ve got a house to sell! Fingers crossed for good news for all of us soon!

Reactions: 4 users
I’m hoping that they haven’t filled their entire allotted acceptances by March 13 and that we see some movement. Maybe some holds will get accepted once they get through everyone. I want to know what I’m doing with my life!! I’ve got a house to sell! Fingers crossed for good news for all of us soon!

A house to sell?! Damn dude, congrats! You're ahead of the game!

I haven't heard anything back since submitting my secondary (no pre-II hold or rejection), and from what I understood, the last interview date is 2/24. Has anyone not heard back at all since submitting their secondary?

Aaaand, congrats to everyone who got accepted !!!

Can anybody who got accepted say their stats? I'm curious. if not, its cool. I know its personal sometimes ha.

I haven't heard anything back since submitting my secondary (no pre-II hold or rejection), and from what I understood, the last interview date is 2/24. Has anyone not heard back at all since submitting their secondary?

Aaaand, congrats to everyone who got accepted !!!
No such thing as a pre-II hold. All the holds on here you’re seeing are from people who already interviewed.

Can anybody who got accepted say their stats? I'm curious. if not, its cool. I know its personal sometimes ha.
You can look through people’s post history sometimes and find stats. From my digging over the months, there has been a range of stats.

Take time to scroll through this thread and find that out, and many SDN members put stat info in their signature lines.
haha someone else posted the same thing while I was writing this

No such thing as a pre-II hold. All the holds on here you’re seeing are from people who already interviewed.

Nah there is such thing as pre-II hold, I've been placed in two of them. But I think you might be referring to this school specifically, thanks for the info!

Nah there is such thing as pre-II hold, I've been placed in two of them. But I think you might be referring to this school specifically, thanks for the info!
Yes... I’m referring to this school because you asked the question on a school specific thread. For TCU, there is no such thing as pre-II holds. (Maybe that’ll change in the future for them. But last cycle and this cycle it has appeared that this is not the case)

Got the call on Friday, Feb. 7th! Absolutely stoked, love this school.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Super curious to see how STEP 1 being changed to Pass/Fail for 2022 affects applicant decisions, especially with newer schools. I’m also curious to see if any changes to curriculum are made with preparing students for STEP 2, since that will have far more weight now.

Super curious to see how STEP 1 being changed to Pass/Fail for 2022 affects applicant decisions, especially with newer schools. I’m also curious to see if any changes to curriculum are made with preparing students for STEP 2, since that will have far more weight now.

The USMLE news is definitely a game changer. I think the Residency partnership with the local Forth Worth hospital is even more important now because it increases chances of matching. I feel TCU will adapt to changes successfully. Nonetheless, the class of 2023 (those who started in 2019 fall) will be a benchmark for Step 1 scores. All the following classes are riding on you! No pressure @GoldGenie!

The USMLE news is definitely a game changer. I think the Residency partnership with the local Forth Worth hospital is even more important now because it increases chances of matching. I feel TCU will adapt to changes successfully. Nonetheless, the class of 2023 (those who started in 2019 fall) will be a benchmark for Step 1 scores. All the following classes are riding on you! No pressure @GoldGenie!
I agree that the residency partnership is critical. As will be networking opportunities and the availability of other things to set you apart.

the residency partnership was really great timing. I’m also stoked because they are creating spots for a few specialties I’m really interested in. Now if I can just get off hold.:whistle:

I agree that the residency partnership is critical. As will be networking opportunities and the availability of other things to set you apart.

the residency partnership was really great timing. I’m also stoked because they are creating spots for a few specialties I’m really interested in. Now if I can just get off hold.:whistle:

Do you know what specialities those are?

Hi @SOM Admissions ,

In regards to the USMLE program changing Step 1 scores from numerical to pass/fail sometime after January 2022, will the curriculum change in any way? I know right now the structure of exams are based off of recycled/released Step questions, so the program seemed pretty focused on preparing students to earn high scores on Step 1. Now that scores will just be pass/fail, I’m curious how TCU might prepare students for competitive residencies. Thanks in advance for any input!

Hi @SOM Admissions ,

In regards to the USMLE program changing Step 1 scores from numerical to pass/fail sometime after January 2022, will the curriculum change in any way? I know right now the structure of exams are based off of recycled/released Step questions, so the program seemed pretty focused on preparing students to earn high scores on Step 1. Now that scores will just be pass/fail, I’m curious how TCU might prepare students for competitive residencies. Thanks in advance for any input!

This is quite a change, and one we anticipate will have a positive impact on the landscape of medical education. Rest assured that school leadership is having immediate discussions how this will impact our school. We can assure you that our curriculum, student support services including career and professional development and student success teams will thoughtfully support our students through this change. USMLE grading has been part of the national conversation for some time, and several strategies to address this have been implemented within our school of medicine structure and philosophy. Our goal has always been to prepare you to practice medicine by giving you the knowledge and skills necessary to become a successful and empathetic physician.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Got the dreaded R yesterday :( peace out, friends & good luck

• Sad
  • Dislike
Pardon my noobiness when it comes to events.... For the Second Look Weekend, does anyone know if the "Welcome Reception" on Thursday evening a dinner event? (In my head, I'm somewhat associating this to a "wedding reception" where there's food/drinks because they sound very similar.) @SOM Admissions

I haven't received any communication from them (no hold, no ii, no R, nothing). Should I just assume it's going to be a R?

Pre-II R just now. Good luck to everyone else!

• Sad